Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

Poorside wrote:
    it's not just her, the 2 guys with her are excellent, well worth catching if you've even a passing interest.

Aren't the "two guys" from the Runangano Family who played EP a few times (with Denise on backing vocals). One is called God Knows and I can't remember the other ones name. They were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Poorside wrote: »
    Have to give Denise a push, last gig I was at before lockdown 2 kicked in and it was brilliant, it's not just her, the 2 guys with her are excellent, well worth catching if you've even a passing interest.

Pals went to see her at the last Other Voices Ballina and raved about the gig. She'll almost certainly be at EP and I'll be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

"...THE last day of June is D-Day for a decision on whether Electric Picnic 2021 will go ahead in the last weekend of September..."

https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2021/06/22/d-day-looms-for-this-years-electric-picnic/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭endainoz

Fatfrog wrote: »
    "...THE last day of June is D-Day for a decision on whether Electric Picnic 2021 will go ahead in the last weekend of September..."

https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2021/06/22/d-day-looms-for-this-years-electric-picnic/

How nice of them to add the link and e-mail address at the end of the article for anyone who wants to object. Of course you probably don't need to be a resident of the area to complain.

I'd take that if still true,! (Spotify)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Peterd66 wrote: »
    Aren't the "two guys" from the Runangano Family who played EP a few times (with Denise on backing vocals). One is called God Knows and I can't remember the other ones name. They were excellent.

Ah very good. I'd wondered what they were up to.
    I caught them at Forbidden Fruit 3 or so years ago and they were savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

A news media called "The Nationalist". I expect at some point there was an item on the editorial meeting agenda "Are we the baddies?"

The Mary Wallopers getting a lot of hype here. I've listened before but it seemed to be a little bandwagon folkery. Am I wrong?

I'd check them out at EP if little else on but wary of shelling out €25 for a gig. Anyone seen them?

nc6000 wrote: »

Balls, does not bode well.

I can't deal with this rollercoaster of emotions!!

• Advertisement

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    The Mary Wallopers getting a lot of hype here. I've listened before but it seemed to be a little bandwagon folkery. Am I wrong?

I'd check them out at EP if little else on but wary of shelling out €25 for a gig. Anyone seen them?

Haven't seen them, but have heard good things about them. I remember they were very good for doing the live streamed gigs in the early part of the lockdown. I think I heard something about them living on a farm up the country and they were doing gigs in a shed outside and invited other musicians to join them. Sounds very punk for modern times!

Balls, does not bode well

I'm surprised they didn't cancel earlier, or at least shift to the end of August. A smaller festival than the Picnic, at that time, stands a good chance of success.
    Is there a possibility that EP have swallowed up all the best Irish acts leaving ATN with little?

I've watched most of their streamed gigs over the last year.

I haven't got tickets to any of their gigs, but bought some merch off bandcamp a while ago.

I wouldn't say it's bandwagon folk. There's a wildness about them, so it's more bowsie folk than anything else, and the songs they sing tie in with that too.

Like Lankum they come from a different genre. Punk with the Lankum (Lynch) brothers and hip hop with the Walloper (Hendy) brothers in TPM.

Unlike Lankum, they haven't released any original material, but that might change on their upcoming debut album.

I'd love to see them live, they'd be serious craic.

endainoz wrote: »
    Haven't seen them, but have heard good things about them. I remember they were very good for doing the live streamed gigs in the early part of the lockdown. I think I heard something about them living on a farm up the country and they were doing gigs in a shed outside and invited other musicians to join them. Sounds very punk for modern times!

You're right, near Dundalk I think, a farm owned by one of their parents or relatives and they invited people to play there.

I'm just not convinced by their sound, see also Junior Brother and Lankum. David Keenan on the edge of that but he's got some great material. The only solution is to see them live I think and then decide.

I've watched most of their streamed gigs over the last year.

I haven't got tickets to any of their gigs, but bought some merch off bandcamp a while ago.

I wouldn't say it's bandwagon folk. There's a wildness about them, so it's more bowsie folk than anything else, and the songs they sing tie in with that too.

Like Lankum they come from a different genre. Punk with the Lankum (Lynch) brothers and hip hop with the Walloper (Hendy) brothers in TPM.

Unlike Lankum, they haven't released any original material, but that might change on their upcoming debut album.

I'd love to see them live, they'd be serious craic.

Okay, you've convinced me. Two gigs in Galway, one sold out and the other close. Another certainty for EP I'd say. In fact they've probably tied down almost every local band of note.

You're right, near Dundalk I think, a farm owned by one of their parents or relatives and they invited people to play there.

I'm just not convinced by their sound, see also Junior Brother and Lankum. David Keenan on the edge of that but he's got some great material. The only solution is to see them live I think and then decide.

I think they're heavily influenced by Frank Harte, and Dominic Behan.
    As you say, no harm to check them out, enjoy!

It's some of the TPM lads!
    https://youtu.be/pVlJAV8BrZw

Im eternally greatful to them for this quality piece of trolling towards Gemma ODoherty.
    https://nialler9.com/tpm-drowned-out-gemma-odohertys-dundalk-protest-with-shouts-of-bring-back-dialup/

I watched their Mary Wallopers live stream, not sure how it would translate live, but I'd imagine they'd be huge craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I saw them at the Olympia on the 'Rock against Homelessness' gig last year. They only had a short slot but I really enjoyed them. I'd say Thundercats has them spot on. If 'bowsie trad' isn't a thing yet, it should be. Unconventional but they went down a storm that night. Defo worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RINO87

Have seen both TPM and their alto ego the Mary Wallopers. I'd be more of a fan of the TPM stuff, but both gigs were serious craic. Great live shows, not to be missed if you get the chance I'd say!

Latitude going ahead at full capacity as a test event...

The data gathered from this will be crucial going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Rfrip

God that is great news for us isnt it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭rubick

NEW ALBUM POINTER

Fans of melodic electronica and folk horror/hauntology will be interested to hear the debut album from The Vendetta Suite - The Kempe Stone Portal. Made in Co Down, so obviously brilliant. :D

https://open.spotify.com/album/7BgQCfPGh4pl6tJLK9xiHI

Rfrip wrote: »

I guess its positive news yeah, its closest weve had to a normal event and theyll be gathering data aswell. In general, Ireland follows what the UK does with general policy so I guess we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭Stillill42

endainoz wrote: »
    Latitude going ahead at full capacity as a test event...

The data gathered from this will be crucial going forward.

Full scale festival a full 6 weeks before EP. That's a really useful development. Granted, it is smaller, around 35,000 I think but should give Melvin a strong hand going forward.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Full scale festival a full 6 weeks before EP. That's a really useful development. Granted, it is smaller, around 35,000 I think but should give Melvin a strong hand going forward.

It will be interesting to see the data they will get from the Download Festival from last weekend

rubick wrote: »
    NEW ALBUM POINTER

Fans of melodic electronica and folk horror/hauntology will be interested to hear the debut album from The Vendetta Suite - The Kempe Stone Portal. Made in Co Down, so obviously brilliant. :D

https://open.spotify.com/album/7BgQCfPGh4pl6tJLK9xiHI

It's really good. Varied sound and feel throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭rubick

Strong set of tunes, isn't it? 'Morning Star', 'Purple Haze, Yellow Sunrise' and 'Warehouse Rock' all particularly excellent from an already fierce piece of work.

rubick wrote: »
    Strong set of tunes, isn't it? 'Morning Star', 'Purple Haze, Yellow Sunrise' and 'Warehouse Rock' all particularly excellent from an already fierce piece of work.

I've listened to Della Notte and Purple Haze a few times now. I'll dip in n out of it over the weekend. Nice tip, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Listened to the first 6/7 songs on my lunchtime walk, resulting in a much quicker pace than normal! Will listen to the rest on the drive home, but some very strong tunes so far.

Edit: Sorry, I should thank rubick for the heads up too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rfrip wrote: »

Not really - different country different rules

Advertisement