Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spacex first human launch 27th May

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just a reminder that the crew dragon will be undocking from the ISS and returning to earth with coverage starting on nasa tv at 10:15 pm Irish time Saturday night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Return trip for the Crew Dragon.
    Following a comprehensive review of the latest weather forecast in the areas surrounding each of seven potential splashdown locations, NASA and SpaceX have decided to move forward with plans to bring NASA astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley home to Earth with a splashdown off the Florida coast on Sunday, Aug. 2, aboard the SpaceX Crew Dragon “Endeavour” spacecraft.

Teams will continue to closely monitor Tropical Storm Isaias and evaluate impacts to weather around the Florida peninsula, including the potential splashdown sites in the Gulf of Mexico and along the state’s Atlantic coast. NASA and SpaceX will make a decision on a primary splashdown target approximately 6 hours before undocking Saturday.
    It's Hurricane Isaias now and it's forecast to head along the East Coast of Florida on Sunday.

10 things to know about the return.

ESA
    ESA astronaut Thomas Pesquet has been assigned to the second operational flight of SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft, launching to the International Space Station in 2021. Thomas’ second mission to the International Space Station will be called Alpha. This is after Alpha Centauri, the closest stellar system to Earth, following the French tradition to name space missions after stars or constellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

star gazer wrote: »
    Return trip for the Crew Dragon.

It's Hurricane Isaias now and it's forecast to head along the East Coast of Florida on Sunday.

10 things to know about the return.

ESA

Interesting.
    It says there that it will take between 6 and 30 hours for Crew Dragon to return (depending on site) but the Soyuz used to do it in 3 hours flat.
    Does anyone know the reason why the Soyuz could/had to return at least twice as quickly?

https://www.esa.int/ESA_Multimedia/Videos/2018/12/How_do_astronauts_return_to_Earth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

josip wrote:
    It says there that it will take between 6 and 30 hours for Crew Dragon to return (depending on site) but the Soyuz used to do it in 3 hours flat. Does anyone know the reason why the Soyuz could/had to return at least twice as quickly?

It's still a test vehicle. I presume they will be putting through its paces

josip wrote: »
    Interesting.
    It says there that it will take between 6 and 30 hours for Crew Dragon to return (depending on site) but the Soyuz used to do it in 3 hours flat.
    Does anyone know the reason why the Soyuz could/had to return at least twice as quickly?

https://www.esa.int/ESA_Multimedia/Videos/2018/12/How_do_astronauts_return_to_Earth

Well yeah I mean they put it through its paces going up so it stands to reason they'd do the same on the way back. Spacex and NASA will only get one first crew test mission reentry. I think this will be the first Crewed NASA flight to land in the Atlantic since Apollo 7.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote:
    Well yeah I mean they put it through its paces going up so it stands to reason they'd do the same on the way back. Spacex and NASA will only get one first crew test mission reentry. I think this will be the first Crewed NASA flight to land in the Atlantic since Apollo 7.

Ithink so. t's looking like the gulf of Mexico for splash down.to avoid weather.

The capsule can orbit up to 48 hours or so if needs be after it undocks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Still on course to proceed. All going well, they undock in under seven hours. The choice of splashdown site should be made in under an hour.

The bags are packed
    https://twitter.com/AstroBehnken/status/1289576302333145089
    Return conditions remained “Go” at several of the needed target locations for splashdown and recovery after teams received a weather briefing Friday evening from the U.S. Air Force 45th Weather Squadron. NASA and SpaceX will make a decision on a primary splashdown target approximately 6 hours before undocking.

NASA and SpaceX are targeting 7:34 p.m. EDT Saturday, Aug. 1, for undocking of the Dragon “Endeavour” spacecraft from the space station and 2:42 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 2, for splashdown, which will be the first return of a commercially built and operated American spacecraft carrying astronauts from the space station.
    nasa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

un-docking around 12.15am---12.30am

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

We have separation of dragon at 00:35 Irish time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

De-orbit soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

When is splashdown & who is showing it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Discodog wrote: »
    When is splashdown & who is showing it ?

Live here and slashdown in around 25 minutes.

The lads are home as we have splashdown.

I guess Jeff can't afford a carrier for helicopters :)

There is a helipad on the boat.

I wonder will the be flown from it.

I am old enough to remember the divers jumping from choppers.

Jeff2 wrote: »
    There is a helipad on the boat.

I wonder will the be flown from it.

I think they said a few minutes ago they would be taken to land by helicopter.

john4321 wrote: »
    I think they said a few minutes ago they would be taken to land by helicopter.

Yeah they did about five minutes after I posted.

That ship is doing some knots, I guess the crew want the get to Pensacola fast to celebrate. :)

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Yeah they did about five minutes after I posted.

That ship is doing some knots, I guess the crew want the get to Pensacola fast to celebrate. :)

They might not need the helicopter if they dont get them out of the capsule soon!

• Advertisement

This is live on RTE news now.

Edit : it's gone now.

Welcome back Bob and Doug :)

First bit of fresh air in 64 days :P

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Moment before splashdown :)

UNzLjeC.jpg

It's amazing how they get the timing so well.

At least Doug kept his helmet on leaving the capsule.
    Don't want another incident like when he entered ISS and bumped his head. :)

Advertisement