Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spacex first human launch 27th May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Med101007 wrote: »
    When I say i seen it at 8.50pm, that could actually have been anywhere between 8.35pm - 8.50pm. Had no phone with me, hence no time.
    Well unless you see round the curvature of the Earth............

I obviously don't know what you saw, but your descriptions don't at all line up with what it would have looked like to someone on the ground in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭skulltown

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Well maybe it's aliens, but definitely nothing to do with Spacex. The booster had already landed long before it flew over Ireland.

:(:(

That's a plane.
    Its a bird!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Well unless you see round the curvature of the Earth............

I obviously don't know what you saw, but your descriptions don't at all line up with what it would have looked like to someone on the ground in Ireland.

what sre you talking about? .....the earth is too flat for a curvature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Google NASA spot the station, you put in your location and email address and you will be notified of all passing in your location including time, how long visable for and exact coordinates of the pass.
    Half of them pass over in the middle of the night so I don't get to see them all. I never tire of seeing it though.

I find the iss mobile app better. The app alerts me in advance of each pass and it knows my GPS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And they're still arguably catching up with soyus rockets designed 40 years ago!
    I turned off CNN earlier when they were laughing, 'more comfortable then the old Soyus', lovely blue lights and screens, great to see Americans launch from Merica, yada yada.
    40 years ago the Russians were delivering supplies to their Salyut 6 space station with unmanned Progress spacecraft.

The Soyuz rocket is part of the R7 family that launched Sputnik back in 1957. In '58 they got another stage as part of the Luna program and since '63 it's been putting humans into space.
    http://www.russianspaceweb.com/soyuz_lv.html

The Soyuz spacecraft has only being going to orbit since 1966. It's camped and landings are like a controlled car crash. But it's cheap and reliable. It's outlasted all the proposed replacements.
    http://www.russianspaceweb.com/soyuz.html

BTW Soyuz means that Europe can do manned spaceflight
    https://www.esa.int/Enabling_Support/Space_Transportation/Launch_vehicles/Soyuz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I've been watching this all evening.

It's great but Musk comparing it to going to Mars is crazy.

So docking time I think after 3pm today so I'll tune in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It's now travelling at c.27,000 kph which is the same speed as the ISS.

:eek: thats really hard to get my head around. Why do they have to travel such speeds, wouldnt that use a hell of a lot of fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Muahahaha wrote: »
    :eek: thats really hard to get my head around. Why do they have to travel such speeds, wouldnt that use a hell of a lot of fuel

Fuel just used to get to that speed, not to maintian that speed once resistence drops to alomst zero. They go that speed to maintain altitude. Think of being in orbit as constantly falling, but because the earth is curved, you need to travel fast enough so that you fall around the earth, instead of down.

"the object is always falling toward the planet, but because it's moving sideways fast enough, it never hits the planet. Orbital velocity is the speed needed to stay in orbit."

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/5-8/features/nasa-knows/what-is-orbit-58.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Muahahaha wrote: »

nothing to decelerate them in space. so say your going at 100mph, putting your foot on the accelerator again only adds to that. they have to burn fuel then in opposite direction to slow them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

mcbert wrote: »
    Fuel just used to get to that speed, not to maintian that speed once resistence drops to alomst zero. They go that speed to maintain altitude. Think of being in orbit as constantly falling, but because the earth is curved, you need to travel fast enough so that you fall around the earth, instead of down.

"the object is always falling toward the planet, but because it's moving sideways fast enough, it never hits the planet. Orbital velocity is the speed needed to stay in orbit."

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/5-8/features/nasa-knows/what-is-orbit-58.html

Also, the strength of gravity at 200km (for example) is only slight less than at surface level - the only real difference is the sideways (i.e. orbital speed) means you fall 'around' the curved earth instead of down (i.e. losing altitude).

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭GFish

Duzzie wrote: »
    I saw it in Wicklow. 10.13 to 10.15 ish. About 1/3 way between the moon and the horizon. Very impressive, the only light in the sky

It was in Wicklow then?
    Phone NASA now - they has 'Loss of signal' about that time. :eek:

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Maybe.
    There's plenty of other options to move people to Mars that no one is looking at.

That's intriguing.
    What other options?

When I say i seen it at 8.50pm, that could actually have been anywhere between 8.35pm - 8.50pm. Had no phone with me, hence no time.

I think there are some people here who don't get humour.
    But carry on - it's great craic reading people dissing you. :)

Are you OK for toilet paper in there?
    You know you can turn it over and go again. It will be clean on the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

A great day for the Dinosaurs too!...The first species to dominate the earth.:)

upupup wrote: »
    A great day for the Dinosaurs too!...The first species to dominate the earth.:)

Indeed! Hard to get, sold out on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07JCCF775/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I can't get over the amount of people posting videos of planes on twitter yesterday evening. :o Maybe it was a joke along the lines of the vid with the ice lolly and it was just too subtle for me... I hope so anyway for their sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

I definitely seen the rocket shooting across the sky at approx. 8.50pm. I am based halfway between Ballinasloe and Athlone. It was crystal clear, could even see the black paintwork on the rocket.
    Please don't tell me this was a plane?? (I was in the bog with no phone at the time the rocket passed so couldn't take a picture)

It was a plane. I got excited for a second too. But I saw it on flight radar. Flew across the midlands at the exact same time as we were looking for the spacex rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I can't get over the amount of people posting videos of planes on twitter yesterday evening. :o Maybe it was a joke along the lines of the vid with the ice lolly and it was just too subtle for me... I hope so anyway for their sake.

I saw it too and got a great pic.:D
    514798.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Love the new spacesuits, very space age looking.

...apparently the dashboard in the capsule is Tesla like, in that it's got fancy dials & LED displays & they can even set the cabin temperature to their desired level, cool.

Still no artificial gravity though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so what time are they to dock with ISS? and will the ISS look that bit bigger when it passes over tonight - 22.59

fryup wrote: »
    so what time are they to dock with ISS? and will the ISS look that bit bigger when it passes over tonight - 22.59

Around 2.30pm our time. You won't notice anything different with the ISS really. Dragon is very small relative to the ISS. Tonight's pass is going to be very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Anyone know whats up with the ISS Detector App, its saying no visible passes until early July??

ankaragucu wrote: »
    Anyone know whats up with the ISS Detector App, its saying no visible passes until early July??

That's correct. Last visible pass for us here for a few weeks is tonight very low in the sky at around 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

GFish wrote: »
    That's intriguing.
    What other options?

I guess the poster could have something along the lines of this wonderful technology in mind? :pac:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Acosta

Loving the exterior live shots from the ISS looking towards the capsule as it approaches with earths surface in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

That's correct. Last visible pass for us here for a few weeks is tonight very low in the sky at around 11pm.

Oh right, thanks.Though it hasnt listed any passes for the last couple days and doesnt have tonights either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Would be nice to have a camera (in a small tethered vehicle sent out from ISS?) to capture the docking from 'the side'?

• Advertisement

With noting to give you perspective, looks like they're doing about 2mph :pac:
    Far from the truth.....

Advertisement