Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spacex first human launch 27th May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

My little boy is fascinated with this, couldn't hold back the excitement on the countdown. Is there a link where we can see the astronauts live going about their duties tomorrow?

And thanks to the folks that have put up viewing times and other info.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

And they're still arguably catching up with soyus rockets designed 40 years ago!
    I turned off CNN earlier when they were laughing, 'more comfortable then the old Soyus', lovely blue lights and screens, great to see Americans launch from Merica, yada yada.

Hardly something to get excited over. The Russian deputy prime minister Rogozin a few years ago said NASA should consider using a trampoline to get to space as they had no other options other than Soyuz.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Fantastic the launch went well.

However anyone else get the sneaky suspicion Mr Musk is a little bit of a snake oil salesman marketing genius? Let's face facts - any trip to Mars is a suicide mission due to zero G, radiation etc. Do you think he's just selling this whole "going to Mars" thing to increase his brand value, sell more Tesla cars, and secure NASA contracts for more realistic stuff (like near earth orbit and perhaps revisiting the moon?). SpaceX ain't going to Mars any time soon, probably not in our lifetimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

John_Rambo wrote: »
    My little boy is fascinated with this, couldn't hold back the excitement on the countdown. Is there a link where we can see the astronauts live going about their duties tomorrow?

Spacex and NASA channels on YouTube

The Spacex YouTube channel will have live coverage of most activities. Get him to tune in to it for the docking to the ISS at around 2-2.30pm Irish time tomorrow. That's the next big event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Duzzie wrote: »
    I saw it in Wicklow. 10.13 to 10.15 ish. About 1/3 way between the moon and the horizon. Very impressive, the only light in the sky

Yep, same here, perfect view in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The Spacex YouTube channel will have live coverage of most activities. Get him to tune in to it for the docking to the ISS at around 2-2.30pm Irish time tomorrow. That's the next big event.

Diamond... & @Westernyelp Thanks a million.

The Dragon is now c.10km from the ISS. It'll perform a series of manoeuvres over the next few hours to bring it in to dock with the ISS tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I know it was travelling at some 12,000kph at one point but does it slow down now when its orbiting with the space station

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Fantastic the launch went well.

However anyone else get the sneaky suspicion Mr Musk is a little bit of a snake oil salesman marketing genius? Let's face facts - any trip to Mars is a suicide mission due to zero G, radiation etc. Do you think he's just selling this whole "going to Mars" thing to increase his brand value, sell more Tesla cars, and secure NASA contracts for more realistic stuff (like near earth orbit and perhaps revisiting the moon?). SpaceX ain't going to Mars any time soon, probably not in our lifetimes.

Maybe.

Suppose the question is whats the point of going to Mars?

Is it worth sending people on a super risky mission to do things that multiple robots can do?
    Is it a stunt to raise the profile of space exploration and get money?
    Is it a humanitarian "pale blue dot" moment to promote unity?

His interstellar species spiel is lost on me. I don't see how sending people to Mars in this decade is going to achieve this, apart from raising awareness.
    There's plenty of other options to move people to Mars that no one is looking at.

NASA said that by the Apollo 17 landed on the moon, the US population had by and large lost interest. It was barely broadcast on TV. Moon landings had become routine. That was the last moon landing, 1972, three years after Apollo 11.

• Advertisement

media event with the two lads on dragon just coming up now

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I know it was travelling at some 12,000kph at one point but does it slow down now when its orbiting with the space station

It's now travelling at c.27,000 kph which is the same speed as the ISS.

The lads are now live on spacex channel. They've named the capsule Endeavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

IMG-20200530-221414.jpg

As seen from Dún Laoghaire. Really glad to have seen that. I stopped a stranger passing me on the pier to point it out. We shared a chuckle of admiration.

The lads are now live on spacex channel. They've named the capsule Endeavour.

It's class

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

Hardly something to get excited over. The Russian deputy prime minister Rogozin a few years ago said NASA should consider using a trampoline to get to space as they had no other options other than Soyuz.

Not sure if it happened the way Esquire reported it, but if it did, then there's a bit of karma with SpaceX taking away some business from Russia.
    https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a16681/elon-musk-interview-1212/
    On the second trip, Musk brought his wife, Justine — "I think that's the trip when the lead Russian designer started spitting at us," Cantrell says — and on the third and final trip he brought his money. He was ready to buy three Russian ICBMs for $21 million when the Russians told him that no, they meant $21 million for one. "They taunted him," Cantrell says. "They said, 'Oh, little boy, you don't have the money?' I said, 'Well, that's that.' I was sitting behind him on the flight back to London when he looked at me over the seat and said, 'I think we can build a rocket ourselves.'"

It's class

Tight fit on board. That dinosaur toy is going to be in big demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Med101007

I definitely seen the rocket shooting across the sky at approx. 8.50pm. I am based halfway between Ballinasloe and Athlone. It was crystal clear, could even see the black paintwork on the rocket.
    Please don't tell me this was a plane?? (I was in the bog with no phone at the time the rocket passed so couldn't take a picture)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

SpaceX YouTube channel are doing continuous coverage. The two astronauts were about to do a media talk a few minutes ago. I don't know if we will see them but you'll hear them talking to spaceX mission control.

I've been a huge fan of manned spaceflight since I saw the movie Apollo 13 when it came out and know very random facts about it. I know I do the anniversary threads on here for the Apollo missions and I hope I do them justice but I haven't felt this excited about it in years. One thing I hate to see is people dismissing this historic event just because of Elon musk.

Med101007 wrote: »
    I definitely seen the rocket shooting across the sky at approx. 8.50pm. I am based halfway between Ballinasloe and Athlone. It was crystal clear, could even see the black paintwork on the rocket.
    Please don't tell me this was a plane?? (I was in the bog with no phone at the time the rocket passed so couldn't take a picture)

That wasn't it, probably a plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

The "rocket" had already landed back on the barge.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭skulltown

I seen the spacex rocket. Wait for it! Rockets in #Donegal #spacexlaunch #SpaceXDragon
    #spacex

@DonegalWeatherC @rtenews https://t.co/jQqduPoYWO

That wasn't it, probably a plane.

It was shaped exactly like the rocket though. And also it was going way too fast to be a plane. Planes cross over my house all the time and this was definitely going way faster There was a long plume of smoke shooting from the back aswell.

skulltown wrote: »
    I seen the spacex rocket. Wait for it! Rockets in #Donegal #spacexlaunch #SpaceXDragon
    #spacex

@DonegalWeatherC @rtenews https://t.co/jQqduPoYWO

That's a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭skulltown

That's a plane.

Going to fast to be a plane.

It was shaped exactly like the rocket though. And also it was going way too fast to be a plane. Planes cross over my house all the time and this was definitely going way faster There was a long plume of smoke shooting from the back aswell.

The rocket booster had already landed on the barge offshore 10 minutes after launch so you couldn't have possibly seen it. The second stage burn finished and had separated about 12 minutes after launch over the mid Atlantic. By the time it was over Ireland the capsule was already in orbit with no rocket burning. You saw a plane with a contrail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

This straight away tells me it wasn't the the Dragon 2

skulltown wrote: »
    Going to fast to be a plane.

Well maybe it's aliens, but definitely nothing to do with Spacex. The booster had already landed long before it flew over Ireland.

• Advertisement

The "rocket" had already landed back on the barge.

When I say i seen it at 8.50pm, that could actually have been anywhere between 8.35pm - 8.50pm. Had no phone with me, hence no time.

Advertisement