Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Doesn’t look good for golf after reading the Sunday Business Post & Sunday Indo. Absolutely no certainty about golf and looks likely it may not be allowed. It’s all a bit ridiculous, these leaks certainly do not help matters. Wonder when the next leak will come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to change job before this lockdown so bought a few bits.
    Just added it up and after a putter,wedges,gps trolley,shoes and other clothes and bits I've come to the conclusion I have to burn my bank statments incase she gets curious :o

Similarly I changed jobs back in September which post lockdown will mean no commute (if the office ever fully re-opens that is) so I was able to re-join a club having played only casually for the last 10+ years or so. Safe to say its been an expensive few months, membership, driver, fairways, hybrids, putter, trolley, new bag(s), shoes, clothes and now wedges on the way for my birthday at the end of the month :D

I got a some good deals on 2nd hand stuff here and there so it could have been a lot worse. The price of new gear seems to have shot up since I last bought new clubs which were my irons back in 2015ish I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Doesn’t look good for golf after reading the Sunday Business Post & Sunday Indo. Absolutely no certainty about golf and looks likely it may not be allowed. It’s all a bit ridiculous, these leaks certainly do not help matters. Wonder when the next leak will come out.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Lip Out

Here is a link to an article in the Independent. First two paragraphs don't sound hopeful but further down, there is this below. I'm sure we will know tomorrow when the leaks start.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-tight-covid-restrictions-until-may-as-virus-surges-40247322.html
    Children will likely be allowed to return to outdoor sports training given they are already taking part at school. Other outdoor sports like golf and tennis may be allowed from next month and a return of click-and-collect services will also be examined by ministers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,850 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is the announcement Tuesday?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Can you pay green fees in North when they open up?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Can you pay green fees in North when they open up?

No visitors allowed to courses up north

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

antgal23 wrote: »
    No visitors allowed to courses up north

Unless you know somebody. Nudge Nudge Wink Wink. Bit like the Beacon vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

The closer to Tuesday the more pessimistic I'm becoming.

The suggestion in todays papers that the 5km will only go to 10km and that golf and tennis MAY be allowed and the possibility construction wont re open.

Our leaders appear wedded to lock downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I live in Cork which has a population of 500,000 and has one of the lowest, if not the lowest covid rates in the country.

It doesn't make sense on any level to keep us at Level 5 for another two months.

I live 25km approx from my club and as soon as it opens i'm playing regardless of nonsensical travel restrictions.

• Advertisement

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    I live in Cork which has a population of 500,000 and has one of the lowest, if not the lowest covid rates in the country.

It doesn't make sense on any level to keep us at Level 5 for another two months.

In FFG we trust

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭dball

That was Coveney that said that:

Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney has said there is a very narrow scope for lifting restrictions and the Government approach will be cautious.

Speaking on RTÉ's This Week, Mr Coveney said the Government wants to avoid a fourth wave of the virus and not see a situation where restrictions are eased but then have to be reintroduced.

He said that National Public Health Emergency Team will make a recommendation to the Government tomorrow, which will be considered by the Cabinet sub-committee on Covid-19, which will then make recommendations to the full Cabinet meeting on Tuesday morning.

"We don't have that NPHET recommendation yet, but I don't think it is any secret that NPHET and indeed the Government recognise that the people need some room to breathe here," he said.

"I would expect, but I can't be sure, that we would be looking at the 5km restriction, that we'd be looking at outdoor activity, that we will certainly want to facilitate completing the full return to school for children after 5 April," he said.

Mr Coveney said the Government would like to allow further construction activity if it can be done safely and all that all decisions will be led by public health guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Good news. I'm optimistic. We'll know on Tuesday.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40253111.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭blue note

I live 25km approx from my club and as soon as it opens i'm playing regardless of nonsensical travel restrictions.

A guy was talking about regional lockdowns on the radio the other day. He was saying that they work for some things and not others. If it's something that people can travel for they don't work, because people will come from other areas and bring the virus with them. So you couldn't open up restaurants because they'd attract people to free region. Whereas you could open schools because they won't.

Sports clubs would be more similar to schools because it'll be predominately locals using them. Allowing green fees would be a problem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Wombatman wrote: »
    Good news. I'm optimistic. We'll know on Tuesday.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40253111.html

No offence, but what a load of unscientific rubbish. Looks like we have to wait till the 12th for some reason, and then wait more weeks for competitions. Does covid spread during counting competitions or something? Load of b/s.....

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

No offence, but what a load of unscientific rubbish. Looks like we have to wait till the 12th for some reason, and then wait more weeks for competitions. Does covid spread during counting competitions or something? Load of b/s.....

Think when we go back we will be playing competitions. The return to golf in NI from this week is not confined to casual golf from my reading of the rules on the golf Ireland website.

https://www.golfireland.ie/news-detail?newsarticleid=116&tags=Covid-19;Golf%20Ireland%20HQ

RGS wrote: »
    Think when we go back we will be playing competitions. The return to golf in NI from this week is not confined to casual golf from my reading of the rules on the golf Ireland website.

https://www.golfireland.ie/news-detail?newsarticleid=116&tags=Covid-19;Golf%20Ireland%20HQ

I sincerely hope so. Clubs need the revenue from competitions badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I sincerely hope so. Clubs need the revenue from competitions badly.

Can always charge members for casual golf.

My own club did after lock down last year.

Lot's of members weren't happy about it but the time sheet was still full up.

Charging for casual golf on top of paying the full sub?? Madness.

• Advertisement

Charging for casual golf on top of paying the full sub?? Madness.

Yeah plenty of clubs got away with it in the first lockdown, look I don't mind it if it's a small fee and the club are badly stuck for the money but it's another kick in the teeth for the members.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Not sure if anyone posted this yet
    https://irishgolfer.ie/podcast/

Ex CEO of the GUI Pat Finn, Head of Carr Golf Ed Pettit and Director of Golf at Ardglass Paul Vaughan

Alot of interesting relevant information in it although it's quite long.

Some highlights I'm paraphrasing but it was quite long and I may have missed or mis heard some

The GUI were very clearly against any kind of public shows of questioning or condeming the measures, and believes the quiet behind closed doors approach is why it was one of the first opened.

When it was asked about the accusations of poor communication he went on to explain about how he was in contact with Sport Ireland and others persons almost daily to get updates.

2Balls and time's between tee off etc were to give time for golfers to show they could be trusted, doesn't belive we should need to do this again, his own opinion of course.

Carr Golf explaining the issues with busy courses, the differences between how golf was played/revenue made from 2019 to 2020
    20,000 new members
    Members playing up to 40% more golf.
    One course that had a split of 25% of members using 25% of the tee times with the rest green fees in 2019 to 25% of the members using 37% of the tee times in 2020.
    One member who played 70+ rounds in 6mths complaing about tee time availability gave me a giggle.

I'm sure this is just the other side of the coin to what we would see from members but it did come across very defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

From the article
    The Golfing Union of Ireland previously worked off a phased return to play with casual golf initially being permitted followed by closed and then open competitions in subsequent weeks.

We have already covered that there was a blanket ban on competitive sport reopening after the first lockdown. Golf Ireland decided on the club competition ban and casual golf only, not the government or NPHET, in order to comply with government policy on the reopening of outdoor sports. It was nothing to do with any science that said club competitions spread covid. Nothing in that article says that it will be the same this time round when they reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone posted this yet
    https://irishgolfer.ie/podcast/

Ex CEO of the GUI Pat Finn, Head of Carr Golf Ed Pettit and Director of Golf at Ardglass Paul Vaughan

Alot of interesting relevant information in it although it's quite long.

Some highlights I'm paraphrasing but it was quite long and I may have missed or mis heard some

The GUI were very clearly against any kind of public shows of questioning or condeming the measures, and believes the quiet behind closed doors approach is why it was one of the first opened.

When it was asked about the accusations of poor communication he went on to explain about how he was in contact with Sport Ireland and others persons almost daily to get updates.

2Balls and time's between tee off etc were to give time for golfers to show they could be trusted, doesn't belive we should need to do this again, his own opinion of course.

Carr Golf explaining the issues with busy courses, the differences between how golf was played/revenue made from 2019 to 2020
    20,000 new members
    Members playing up to 40% more golf.
    One course that had a split of 25% of members using 25% of the tee times with the rest green fees in 2019 to 25% of the members using 37% of the tee times in 2020.
    One member who played 70+ rounds in 6mths complaing about tee time availability gave me a giggle.

I'm sure this is just the other side of the coin to what we would see from members but it did come across very defensive.

Plenty of those in every club. Some of our members were effectively named and shamed after they played 50% more golf last year than they did the previous despite with the course being closed during the lockdowns.

Too much orchestrated complaining to the committee about not getting value for subs backfired badly on a few them. Called out for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If my Gym charged me extra for going in on top of my sub I’d move elsewhere.

High percentage chance I’d do the same if my golf club tried to pull that one. Couldn’t care less if time sheet was still full after-the-fact. It’s in really bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Unless you know somebody. Nudge Nudge Wink Wink. Bit like the Beacon vaccines

lost their vaccination centre status today and rightly so, the head honcho in the Beacon I reckon will be gone and the school in question in a state of chaos with parents questioning the management.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Fingers and toes crossed for positive news Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Got the impression that was referring to Corballis regarding the 25% piece

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Yeah plenty of clubs got away with it in the first lockdown, look I don't mind it if it's a small fee and the club are badly stuck for the money but it's another kick in the teeth for the members.

Any examples? I don't believe this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Lucky ****ers :(

41065450-9413447-image-a-6_1616998574217.jpg

Advertisement