Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Dr Devious

blue note wrote: »
    Sounds like there's a bit of a u-turn from the government alright. I'd assume it's due to pressure from golf Ireland. They probably wanted to keep golf closed but when golf Ireland flexed their muscles they were too intimidated not to bow to the pressure.

I think we should all thank golf Ireland for dictating to the government what their policy should be on the issue.

Golf Ireland wouldn't dictate to a mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭blue note

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Golf Ireland wouldn't dictate to a mouse.

The evidence would suggest the contrary. I'd say they looked at boards and from their decided they better get on to An Taoiseach and tell him how to run his country or else!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

Golf Ireland report to Sport Ireland and they liaise with the Department. Think people are getting this slightly confused. Sport Ireland should be pushing the case for golf to resume in early April.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

The latest headlines this morning look promising for Golf getting the go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Lip Out

benji79 wrote: »
    The latest headlines this morning look promising for Golf getting the go ahead

Link? Or gist of headlines?

• Advertisement

Lip Out wrote: »
    Link? Or gist of headlines?

Basically seems to be the case that underage sports will be allowed along with other outdoor activities such as tennis & golf
    Plus the 5k limit moved to 10k or 20k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Allied to that, there are also other experts and professors coming out and saying that lockdowns have done all they can do. One actually said we need to trust that people understand the importance of the 2mtr rule and hygiene etc. Even a FF TD came out yesterday and said the country needs to be at level three for June and level two for July. The economy needs to open up and people need to get on with living.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Finally some sense emerging, fingers crossed for April reopening.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I’m thinking April 12th the day schools go back. They might not open before that with so many parents kids teenagers off. It would be big numbers trying to find an activity to do and could cause pressure on numbers trying to get out playing. Might be more manageable the week school is back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I’m thinking April 12th the day schools go back. They might not open before that with so many parents kids teenagers off. It would be big numbers trying to find an activity to do and could cause pressure on numbers trying to get out playing. Might be more manageable the week school is back

Well if sense or logic came into it in anyway we'd be taking people away from congregation hotspots while the kids are off i.e. golf courses tennis clubs and other outdoor sports and activities open.

But ruled as we are by clinically conservative deferential cowards, we'll all be bumping into each other on highly populated cliff walks, beaches, nature trails and parks :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Word from my own club today is April 12th is the date

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

I say they felt a bit of pressure since the rest of Europe is opened and the UK soon to be. plus the fact people have had enough. Sure you can see it..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think the government had no option, we'd be the only country in the world to have golf courses closed.

When all the outside activities are closed it just forces people indoors where they are alot more likely to contract the virus.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 28 VirgilVD

ForeRight wrote: »
    Word from my own club today is April 12th is the date

Hope so! Haven’t heard word from my club yet

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Does anyone know what will happen with memberless clubs if Golf opens but for members only?

Ones around me are Julianstown & Balheary for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Think the government had no option, we'd be the only country in the world to have golf courses closed.

When all the outside activities are closed it just forces people indoors where they are alot more likely to contract the virus.

They should be out promoting outdoor activities with gusto.

Get people out exercising in fresh air. Naturally with sensible distancing regs.

VirgilVD wrote: »
    Hope so! Haven’t heard word from my club yet

Clubs don't know yet. Its all still speculation at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

even in places where there is much more of a crowd and less space than you have on a golf course the chances of contracting the virus are minimal. 20 times less than if you are in a shared space such a shop etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Schools around me are advising taking home school books just in case they do not return after Easter!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

Word through yesterday that in Kilkeel it’s two balls at 8 minute intervals from April 1st to be reviewed on the 12th April. I’ll take that to start with.

• Advertisement

Keano wrote: »
    Schools around me are advising taking home school books just in case they do not return after Easter!! :(

Sensible thinking ahead though just in case. I think loads schools were caught out over Xmas with leaving stuff in class and then kids at hone with no materials when lockdown announced

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Word through yesterday that in Kilkeel it’s two balls at 8 minute intervals from April 1st to be reviewed on the 12th April. I’ll take that to start with.

As said above.
    Speculation.

Everyone is an expert!

I know our club will not be operating two balls system. They are praying for a return to normal golf asap

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jp101

I know our club will not be operating two balls system. They are praying for a return to normal golf asap

Does this mean they won’t open if two ball is the only option?

jp101 wrote: »
    Does this mean they won’t open if two ball is the only option?

No, obviously they will toe the line with whatever rules are set to be in place. I was just referring to them not doing the two ball thing off their own back, which some clubs seem to be intending to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

Seve OB wrote: »
    As said above.
    Speculation.

Everyone is an expert!

Is Kilkeel not in N. Ireland so this in fact probably is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

Slimity wrote: »
    Is Kilkeel not in N. Ireland so this in fact probably is accurate.

It is and is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Email from the club today saying April 12th is the likely reopening date.

Nothing confirmed yet but promising none-the-less. Also stated that there was some hope for early March but obviously didn't happen.

We weren't let know that time, so they're obviously more confident this time :)

Would've preferred before Easter or the 6th but we'll take what we can get at this stage. Looking forward to the first sunny day out on the course now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Email from the club today saying April 12th is the likely reopening date.

Nothing confirmed yet but promising none-the-less. Also stated that there was some hope for early March but obviously didn't happen.

We weren't let know that time, so they're obviously more confident this time :)

Would've preferred before Easter or the 6th but we'll take what we can get at this stage. Looking forward to the first sunny day out on the course now :D

The extra week, while not the end of the world, is just another annoying & illogical decision from these incompetent shower of prawns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

No, obviously they will toe the line with whatever rules are set to be in place. I was just referring to them not doing the two ball thing off their own back, which some clubs seem to be intending to do.

No clubs will intentionally deny 4 balls unless govt makes them!

Advertisement