Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Got the impression that was referring to Corballis regarding the 25% piece

It is Elmgreen I am nearly certain

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Golf courses in England back open from today but I'm seeing alot of them closed due to bad weather :D:D

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Inter country training can resume but not golf? There are no words

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1376448714462625794?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭blue note

The 25% membership income vs 25% members using the course versus 37% income versus 63% use is a very interesting stat. Whatever way you look at it, there's a hole in your finances unless you change things. They'll have to increase the annual sub. It won't be popular, but the books have to balance. They can increase how much they get per green fee round as well, but I can't see that covering the difference.

It's interesting to see that they were matching revenue with use before, I can't imagine it was a coincidence. It's a very fair way of doing it for a public course.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Kiith wrote: »
    Lucky ****ers :(

41065450-9413447-image-a-6_1616998574217.jpg

Why the que?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

All of a sudden this morning things not looking great for golf & tennis. Lots of the comment online seem to suggest it may not get the go ahead. Not sure what’s changed over weekend.

If children are allowed play GAA and horse training is allowed then golf courses should just go ahead and open up for members.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

higster wrote: »
    Why the que?
    Course wasn't even open yet :)
    benji79 wrote: »
    All of a sudden this morning things not looking great for golf & tennis. Lots of the comment online seem to suggest it may not get the go ahead. Not sure what’s changed over weekend.
    "Sources" have said NPHET are recommending another 6 weeks of lvl5. And of course their word is law according to our "leaders".

It would be hilarious if they opened inter county GAA, but not golf. All pretense of this being about safety would immediately be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

We will know tonight about 9pm but it’s started to stink of disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Lucky ****ers :(

41065450-9413447-image-a-6_1616998574217.jpg

Why the big net over the Carpark?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Have you never sliced a ball into the car park before? Not a real golfer till you do :pac:

Cases are twice what they were last year. And you have these new variants. But you have the vaccines.

Overall we are probably in a worse position than this time last year and we're talking about easing rather than increasing restrictions.

Maybe a further lockdown is what's needed until the vaccines actually come in. People are talking about a raft of restrictions being lifted and individually you wouldn't really criticise any of them. But combined, maybe it's not such a good idea.

We'll see do the government take the easy option and relax restrictions or the ballsy one and keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Course wasn't even open yet :)

"Sources" have said NPHET are recommending another 6 weeks of lvl5. And of course their word is law according to our "leaders".

It would be hilarious if they opened inter county GAA, but not golf. All pretense of this being about safety would immediately be gone.

My two sport’s are gaa and golf. I’d have both open

But the inter county GAA is the easiest to police of them, club GAA and golf isn’t as easy.

Inter county it’s the same panel together, same place, set nights. The actual numbers in the country would be very small

Club gaa and golf would be huge numbers wise in comparison so I could understand the logic behind inter county getting go ahead but not golf. Not saying I agree just I understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

We should know by the end of today what our faith is. No doubt it will all be leaked throughout the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

2 balls would be just pandering from Golf Ireland.

As an example, I regularly walk Portmarnock to Malahide, and the seafront at Sutton/Howth Rd, and when the weather is good, there are hundreds of people out there, multiple people and multiple families and households, using one path. It's not a hot spot for viral transmission currently

IMO, it's 4 balls or nothing. Max 72 people (18 x 4 balls), spread over a couple of hundred acres, and keeping the indoor facilities closed (barring toilet facilities with mandatory mask wearing), is where we should be heading. Simple as

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

But the inter county GAA is the easiest to police of them, club GAA and golf isn’t as easy.

I'm exactly like you, and even co-manage and under age team, but my jaysus, did our club police the health guidelines in between lockdowns last year! Each one of our teams, at all levels had a Covid supervisor. Each team member had to declare their health before arriving at the grounds. We drilled it into players, staff and coaches, under no circumstances to even turn up with a sniffle. There was no room for being lax. It was military type supervision, and worked phenomenally

blue note wrote: »
    Cases are twice what they were last year. And you have these new variants. But you have the vaccines.

Overall we are probably in a worse position than this time last year and we're talking about easing rather than increasing restrictions.

Maybe a further lockdown is what's needed until the vaccines actually come in. People are talking about a raft of restrictions being lifted and individually you wouldn't really criticise any of them. But combined, maybe it's not such a good idea.

We'll see do the government take the easy option and relax restrictions or the ballsy one and keep them.

The new British variant is they say 70% more transmissible than the one last year. Probably equates to not too far off where we were last year at the bottom of the case load in terms of it reflecting the movement in full lockdown. I don’t think we can get lower than the 500 mark now and if anything it will just rise no matter what restrictions are in place. The majority who abided by restrictions are getting looser at this stage, including myself.
    And rightly so imo.

I can safely say I won’t be staying inside any 5k limit over this Easter break with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Sadly there's evidence of golfers in this forum claiming to have never worn a mask, refusal to use sanitiser, reject belief in non-symptomatic transfer, rejecting germ science and wanting only to get back out again with literally no care or thought for anything else. I don't want to quote the original post, but I'm stunned. It not just one person and I may have been wrong in my prior statements that golf should have returned long ago. That this forum is the most viewed public forum for golf in Ireland and it's showing evidence that there's super-spreaders without care or thought waiting to arrive on the course may have already changed the outcome of high level discussions :mad: I'm disappointed and angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Lip Out

I'm also at the end of my tether with the restrictions. If they don't allow golf in April, I think there will be a severe backlash. I'm in a members owned club. Within my 5km. And golf is deemed exercise. Time for clubs to stand up against illogical restrictions.

• Advertisement

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Sadly there's evidence of golfers in this forum claiming to have never worn a mask, refusal to use sanitiser, reject belief in non-symptomatic transfer, rejecting germ science and wanting only to get back out again with literally no care or thought for anything else. I don't want to quote the original post, but I'm stunned. It not just one person and I may have been wrong in my prior statements that golf should have returned long ago. That this forum is the most viewed public forum for golf in Ireland and it's showing evidence that there's super-spreaders without care or thought waiting to arrive on the course may have already changed the outcome of high level discussions :mad: I'm disappointed and angry.

Ain’t golfers no different to any cohort of general society. For cases to stay down to a very low level you need approx 80% compliance. I think any golf club has that. The few “woke” plonkers the likes of you see in here are the same you see across the board in society.
    They are not even intelligent enough to realise they are not very intelligent unfortunately and it’s the 80% that babysit them thru life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I've picked up a load of random stuff during lockdown, looking forward to trying them all out and seeing what I like. Also have a new carry bag and a motocaddy cube. Hoping to use the carry bag more, fingers crossed for good weather.
    dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to change job before this lockdown so bought a few bits.
    Just added it up and after a putter,wedges,gps trolley,shoes and other clothes and bits I've come to the conclusion I have to burn my bank statments incase she gets curious :o

Haven't bought any equipment as was supposed to get fitted for new clubs the day after the new restrictions came in so still holding off for that. I can tell you one thing though, when we do go back I will definitely look the part with the amount of new golf clothing I have bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

If the leak about golf not re opening and that inter county training can reopen then the talk about taking peoples mental health into account was just bull.

Inter county training is for the elite in the sport not for the masses.

We really have a government of muppets if this is recommended by NPHET and accepted by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭boardise

David Nabarro on radio just now confirmimg what has been said on Boards for a while now - that it's not primarily about case numbers anymore .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

ForeRight wrote: »
    Ain’t golfers no different to any cohort of general society. For cases to stay down to a very low level you need approx 80% compliance. I think any golf club has that. The few “woke” plonkers the likes of you see in here are the same you see across the board in society.
    They are not even intelligent enough to realise they are not very intelligent unfortunately and it’s the 80% that babysit them thru life.

And here in lies the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Inter county it’s the same panel together, same place, set nights. The actual numbers in the country would be very small

Club gaa and golf would be huge numbers wise in comparison so I could understand the logic behind inter county getting go ahead but not golf. Not saying I agree just I understand it

I fail to see any logic in this? Say a panel of 30 in each county, all contact training multiple times a week and presumably matches as well mixing with another 30 not including coaches/physios. All of those are amateurs and will be mixing in the community as well as part of their day jobs. Now how could that be deemed safer than golf where there is social distancing by nature? In addition to that you have the fact that this benefits nobody outside of those players, how is that logical?

Golf and tennis would benefit a far greater number of people while also being safer, sorry but there is absolutely no logic behind inter county GAA getting the nod ahead of golf and tennis.

RGS wrote: »
    Inter county training is for the elite in the sport not for the masses.

Allowing intercounty is entirely for the masses. The idea is that you let a couple thousand people compete under strict guidelines and hundreds of thousands will watch them on TV each week and have something to follow.

But I expect as before most people here will ignore that, talk about "GAA being open" as opposed to .1% of GAA being open. It's amazing how much people can see what they want to see.

I fail to see any logic in this? Say a panel of 30 in each county, all contact training multiple times a week and presumably matches as well mixing with another 30 not including coaches/physios. All of those are amateurs and will be mixing in the community as well as part of their day jobs. Now how could that be deemed safer than golf where there is social distancing by nature? In addition to that you have the fact that this benefits nobody outside of those players, how is that logical?

Golf and tennis would benefit a far greater number of people while also being safer, sorry but there is absolutely no logic behind inter county GAA getting the nod ahead of golf and tennis.

The reality is that even with contact, there were no outbreaks from teams training and playing matches. This is even true in rugby, where players are getting into rucks together. The outbreaks were from people doing things that they weren't allowed to do, i.e. celebrating after wins.

So if you think that the government should solely look at the danger of allowing the activity and not the other stuff that will happen if you allow it, it's hard to argue that all outdoor sports shouldn't be allowed to open up immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Allowing intercounty is entirely for the masses. The idea is that you let a couple thousand people compete under strict guidelines and hundreds of thousands will watch them on TV each week and have something to follow.

But I expect as before most people here will ignore that, talk about "GAA being open" as opposed to .1% of GAA being open. It's amazing how much people can see what they want to see.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the GAA schedule for 2021 starting with the leagues? Which isn't widely watched with a lot of games on Eir Sports rather than terrestrial TV. If it was the All Ireland that they were allowing GAA back for I'd say fair enough but that's not the case.
    The reality is that even with contact, there were no outbreaks from teams training and playing matches. This is even true in rugby, where players are getting into rucks together. The outbreaks were from people doing things that they weren't allowed to do, i.e. celebrating after wins.

So if you think that the government should solely look at the danger of allowing the activity and not the other stuff that will happen if you allow it, it's hard to argue that all outdoor sports shouldn't be allowed to open up immediately.

Rugby is professional only though isn't it? So those players are in bubbles and that still didn't prevent French rugby having an outbreak during the 6 nations.

I'm not against the GAA coming back if it was for the All Ireland as that would be a genuine boost to a huge amount of people across the country but bringing it back now to allow the leagues is ridiculous if its at the expense of sports with much larger participation amongst the general public. I take your point around outdoor sports in general but I think its harder to justify a large group of people gathering to play GAA than it is tennis or golf.

Advertisement