Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭fungie

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Were you feeling unwell that you went?? You are the kind of person nphet love for their numbers game, like shooting fish in a barrel

No, the whole point is to get asymptomatic cases and the get a picture of the scale of it. This kind of thing is super useful and should of been done a long time ago.

Spouting conspiracy theory nonsense and claiming most people are 'fish' is unhelpful, doesn't reflect well on you, making you look like an uneducated, selfish fool.

These pop up centres will actually reduce the positivity rate, since more negative tests will be returned, but let's not let reason and science get in the way of your rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

fungie wrote: »
    No, the whole point is to get asymptomatic cases and the get a picture of the scale of it. This kind of thing is super useful and should of been done a long time ago.

Spouting conspiracy theory nonsense and claiming most people are 'fish' is unhelpful, doesn't reflect well on you, making you look like an uneducated, selfish fool.

These pop up centres will actually reduce the positivity rate, since more negative tests will be returned, but let's not let reason and science get in the way of your rant.

It's not a rant, would it not be more beneficial to set up these pop ups as vaccination centres but you are probably one who thinks there is no vaccinations to be got!! Look across the water and they had no problem getting them.. Too many false positives for these tests to be accurate. Anyway back to golf

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Dont walk into these pop up Covid test sites whatever you do as they were set up to bump up the numbers before decisions are made for easing lockdowns, so if you want to go back playing golf avoid at all costd

This is still a killer disease for thousands of Irish people who are not vaccinated. Walking around tying to avoid finding out you’ve covid in case you might miss out on playing golf is so selfish and pathetic I despair for a person who has that mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

It's not a rant, would it not be more beneficial to set up these pop ups as vaccination centres but you are probably one who thinks there is no vaccinations to be got!! Look across the water and they had no problem getting them.. Too many false positives for these tests to be accurate. Anyway back to golf

Any chance you could provide the evidence to back this up? Or is this just another conspiracy theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Do you think we are actively trying to slow vaccinations down?
    You clearly have no idea how the eu vaccine roll out works for member states. UK does what they like. We are signed up to a scheme whereby certain countries could not monopolise vaccines in the union and they were distributed fairly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

GAA apparel should be banned from all golf courses forthwith. Let them play tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Wombatman wrote: »
    GAA apparel should be banned from all golf courses forthwith. Let them play tennis.

Nooo! I love wearing GAA stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Nooo! I love wearing GAA stuff

Do you like playing in five balls and taking 2.5 hours to play nine holes too?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Idiots like you are the reason this s**t show will never end. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

idle wrote: »

Please explain what was idiotic about his comment and why it would mean that we can’t play golf again?

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    Please explain what was idiotic about his comment and why it would mean that we can’t play golf again?

Healthy people like this guy voluntarily getting tested for a flu they don’t have. There isn’t a word for this level of stupidity. The likes of this fella will be speeding for a test in October after a sneeze. Roll on another long Winter without golf. If we’ll back by then

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Easy with the abuse. Thanks

Healthy people like this guy voluntarily getting tested for a flu they don’t have. There isn’t a word for this level of stupidity. The likes of this fella will be speeding for a test in October after a sneeze. Roll on another long Winter without golf. If we’ll back by then

What is up with this thread and the conspiracy theory loons? But to address your points, calling me stupid and an idiot. On the balance of probabilities, I've a higher level of education than you. I also have a decent understanding the scientific process, statistics, etc.

But lets run through your logic, you believe by testing more, there is more covid out there. If we were to turn that argument around and test nobody, would covid disappear? Of course not, testing neither increases nor decreases the prevalence of the disease out there. It is purely used to help quantify the situation, the more data you have, the more accurate of a picture we have.

It is also well known that people can carry and pass on the disease without any symptoms. By not randomly sampling the general population, it is very hard to quantify the effect of these cases. As I said, this should of been done a long time ago and people like you should shut the f**k up and be thankful people smarter than yourself get a say in how we deal with the this.

NPHET have made many mistakes throughout the last year, such as not recommending masks sooner, that children can't pass it on to name a few. However, I'd rather them advising than random people who only care about when they can play golf again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Russman

The irony

What is up with this thread and the conspiracy theory loons? But to address your points, calling me stupid and an idiot. On the balance of probabilities, I've a higher level of education than you. I also have a decent understanding the scientific process, statistics, etc.

But lets run through your logic, you believe by testing more, there is more covid out there. If we were to turn that argument around and test nobody, would covid disappear? Of course not, testing neither increases nor decreases the prevalence of the disease out there. It is purely used to help quantify the situation, the more data you have, the more accurate of a picture we have.

It is also well known that people can carry and pass on the disease without any symptoms. By not randomly sampling the general population, it is very hard to quantify the effect of these cases. As I said, this should of been done a long time ago and people like you should shut the f**k up and be thankful people smarter than yourself get a say in how we deal with the this.

NPHET have made many mistakes throughout the last year, such as not recommending masks sooner, that children can't pass it on to name a few. However, I'd rather them advising than random people who only care about when they can play golf again.

Not sure where to begin with that drivel. Anyway, I hope the fact you don’t know that ‘should of’ doesn’t make any sense didn’t cost you too many marks with your dissertation.

I most definitely do not think more testing = more covid. However more testing = more bulls**t numbers = more lockdown.

I could be wrong but you seem to me to be one of these sad boring individuals that covid has given some meaning to in your life. There are many like you. You can’t wait for the Nphet numbers every evening so you can recite them to everyone you meet.

This will make your head pop off. I’ve never worn a mask, don’t rub that **** on my hands every time I pass a door and I reckon there are fewer people on this island that pick their nose more than I do!!

You’re right about one thing though. I really only care about when I can play golf again. And I’m thankful that I’ve such an enjoyable fourball that the thought of a restriction on that annoys me. Seems from comments here that that’s not as common as I thought

Mod Comment, you were given a friendly warning earlier which you chose to ignore. Take the formal one now. Stay civil please

Not sure where to begin with that drivel. Anyway, I hope the fact you don’t know that ‘should of’ doesn’t make any sense didn’t cost you too many marks with your dissertation.

Got it many years ago thank you, luckily I availed of auto spell and grammar check. If only 'auto stupid correct' was available for the likes of you.

I could be wrong but you seem to me to be one of these sad boring individuals
    I really only care about when I can play golf again.

Yes, I'm the said one with an empty life but your life hinges on when you can play golf again, now that's sad!

Take the tone down please, also no Nazi Grammer comments, check the Charter

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

I most definitely do not think more testing = more covid. However more testing = more bulls**t numbers = more lockdown.

I could be wrong but you seem to me to be one of these sad boring individuals that covid has given some meaning to in your life. There are many like you. You can’t wait for the Nphet numbers every evening so you can recite them to everyone you meet.

This will make your head pop off. I’ve never worn a mask, don’t rub that **** on my hands every time I pass a door and I reckon there are fewer people on this island that pick their nose more than I do!!

You’re right about one thing though. I really only care about when I can play golf again. And I’m thankful that I’ve such an enjoyable fourball that the thought of a restriction on that annoys me. Seems from comments here that that’s not as common as I thought

Haven’t come to this thread in a while.
    And will be a while before come back.
    Speechless with above and other posts.
    Won’t bother posting why and I’m hoping don’t need to for 99.9% of people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Well that’s a pretty embarrassing post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Mods? Any hope of keeping tin foil hats and handbags at the door lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'd pop in to this thread every now and again to see if it had returned to being productive but honestly it hasn't changed at all.

At this stage once the golf is back if the mods could bring the thread out the back and shoot it I'd appreciate it, then I can pretend all the boards members are nice guys again :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ordered a new SIM Max 3w, and can't wait to use it in early April. Come on the golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You sound like a really nice person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I dont want to carry the covid discussion into the golf forum, but our strategy with regards to testing and gathering information has ben abysmally bad all throughout this.

Test criteria and strategy changing every few weeks. No representative testing ever. A convoluted mess of micromagament restrictions switched on and off without a plan or system.

Still no solid idea how it transmits where it transmits to whom it transmits and why it transmits. No idea why people have pre-existing immunity or how may of those are there. No idea of the actual incidence. Just some guesswork approximation that can be send up and down at will depending on test numbers.

If you had actually tried to prevent the gathering of any hard and meaningful data you couldnt have done a better job. And we all know what that means. Garbage in, garbage out.

On top of that the complete disregard for civil rights. In the sense that in their heads and sadly also in actual reality they are now in a world where they can spout any ****e and come out with any sort of of nonsense micromanagement restriction snd no one even asks any more for the scientific basis for this that or the other measure. Or how effective they are or how proportionate. Also nothing ever seems to get re-evaluated.

So your claim of 'people smarter than us' is sadly misplaced. Some of the individuals may be smart and some may even be competent but the organisations they are stuck in and the political realities seemingly only a allow for a complete sh1tshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Still no solid idea how it transmits where it transmits to whom it transmits and why it transmits.

What are you talking about? There’s answers to literally all of these questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Kiith wrote: »
    Ordered a new SIM Max 3w, and can't wait to use it in early April. Come on the golf!

I've picked up a load of random stuff during lockdown, looking forward to trying them all out and seeing what I like. Also have a new carry bag and a motocaddy cube. Hoping to use the carry bag more, fingers crossed for good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I've picked up a load of random stuff during lockdown, looking forward to trying them all out and seeing what I like. Also have a new carry bag and a motocaddy cube. Hoping to use the carry bag more, fingers crossed for good weather.
    I was lucky enough to change job before this lockdown so bought a few bits.
    Just added it up and after a putter,wedges,gps trolley,shoes and other clothes and bits I've come to the conclusion I have to burn my bank statments incase she gets curious :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Raisins wrote: »
    What are you talking about? There’s answers to literally all of these questions.

I was thinking the exact same and here is a few things I learnt during this horrible pandemic:

People believe headlines and have no interest in actual details or truth because that would be boring
    Internet needs rules ASAP
    People shouldn’t be allowed to hide there identity because we need to identify stupid people and remove there democratic rights like voting
    People will believe muppets talking crap about anything
    I believe Elvis is alive
    We need to bring back section 31 before the wrong people vote for the wrong people and the good people pay for it
    Golf is safe during a pandemic

And finally, it’s very easy to fool people because they believe what they read and journalism in Ireland is poor and sloppy with very little fact checking

Rant over...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Folks, hit the report button rather than reply to uncivil or trolling posts. Thanks

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

The Business post this morning saying outdoor sports for children only after Easter.

Will be very frustrating if the golf courses aren't open to everyone. Seems such a low risk activity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Raisins wrote: »

There are very broad educated guesses. Yes it appears to be spreading via aerosols. But in what environment and to what degree? What about smear transmission? Yes or no? Masks? We think they should help. Well maybe. Hopefully. We think they must help. Do we know? Nah. What about people living in the same house or bed and one has it and the other never gets it?

What about incidence? Biggest joke there is with the test strategy we have. Its like holding your finger into a 300m wide river and saying 'oh its going very fast'.

We have some answers (or so we think) but nothing is solid. And for every answer we have three more questions.

But anyway, last message on this on this board and back on topic.

I would be very hopeful of golf being opened in around April 5th. My reasoning is this:

We are at a crossroads. Level 5 seemingly has arrived at a point where it is what it is. And the reason for that is level 5 itself - after all there are still a lot of people legitimately out and about - and also the lockdown wears off. Peoples resolve and compliance will not get better from here. We've simply overused scaremongering and lockdown. You can say what you will about corona denial and whatnot but the numbers remain what they are and people are not that stupid.

You may disagree with some of that assessment but the numbers are there to see for everyone. Level 5 will not get us to 50 cases a day and people are struggling for some resemblance of normality. When they are not outright fkd because they havent seen a pay check in a year.

So we are at this crossroads and the question is where do we go from here? Tightening lockdown would lead to outright disobedience IMO - were' not far from that already - and so would kicking the can. There has to be some easing. And if only to a degree where the rules actually match what people are already doing anyway.

And in that context it has to be the 5km rule and outdoor activities. If we dont open golf I dont know what we can ease.

But then I thought the same when it came to March 5th. At this stage I wouldnt put anything past the government/nphet anymore.

Advertisement