Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Hopefully we open up soon.

Those who wish to hide under the bed can continue to do so for as long as the wish and the rest us can get on with our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

But just golf in my own club will do me.

Exactly - Id imagine most golfers would accept that at least up to early June, and longer if covid numbers would dictate.
    The govt has thrown the baby out with the bathwater and the population of golfers is paying the price because a tiny minority are idiots, and another tiny minority are hyperbole merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,877 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Hopefully we open up soon.

Those who wish to hide under the bed can continue to do so for as long as the wish and the rest us can get on with our lives.

What on earth does this even mean. Everyone to a man here is going to play golf.

But there will be procedures and even stronger policies around golf.

Unless you are one of these head cases going to covid protests ?

Attack the post please Fix, not the poster

What on earth does this even mean. Everyone to a man here is going to play golf.

But there will be procedures and even stronger policies around golf.

Unless you are one of these head cases going to covid protests ?

Just that the people who don't think it is safe to play now will have to wrestle with their conscience when golf does reopen- as the risk remains the exact same.

No I won't be going to any protests.
    I am lucky as myself and and my wife have continued to work as normal throughout this but I wouldn't be so arrogant to call someone who does protest as they want to get back to work to be able to provide for their families a "headcase".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭blue note

Just that the people who don't think it is safe to play now will have to wrestle with their conscience when golf does reopen- as the risk remains the exact same.

No I won't be going to any protests.
    I am lucky as myself and and my wife have continued to work as normal throughout this but I wouldn't be so arrogant to call someone who does protest as they want to get back to work to be able to provide for their families a "headcase".

Has anyone said they don't think being on a golf course is safe? As far as I can see all of the people who can see a reason for golf being closed are saying it's because of the non golf activities it gives rise to.

And I think you have a good point regarding the protesters. Whatever about people not being able to enjoy a round of golf, I don't see how anyone can not have sympathy for those who have been out of work for most of or all of a year. I can't imagine the stress of wondering how you're going to be able to repay your mortgage, feed yourself and your kids, etc. I might think keeping their business closed is the right choice on balance for now, but I really do feel for them.

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    Has anyone said they don't think being on a golf course is safe? As far as I can see all of the people who can see a reason for golf being closed are saying it's because of the non golf activities it gives rise to.

And I think you have a good point regarding the protesters. Whatever about people not being able to enjoy a round of golf, I don't see how anyone can not have sympathy for those who have been out of work for most of or all of a year. I can't imagine the stress of wondering how you're going to be able to repay your mortgage, feed yourself and your kids, etc. I might think keeping their business closed is the right choice on balance for now, but I really do feel for them.

Of course everyone feels for people out of work - but mass gatherings will only delay everyone going back to work.

The protesters I'm talking about - are the anti mask ones - the ones who think that covid is a global conspiracy - they are head cases.

But - on the golf front. If someone asks a few questions around how golf will work - sees people doing stuff they shouldn't. They are entitled to question that. Because you have people following the rules - then you have people who are just selfish doing their own thing.

On the arrogance front - we were so lucky to have golf for so long. But I personally observed a degree of arrogance and complacency in people around golf. People got more and more ambitious as golf was open longer. If we are all being honest - it was like we were on a different planet out there.

It was that arrogance that actually got us closed in the end - and it is that arrogance that has our returning far slower and far more controlled.

Golf is a very arrogant sport. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

So are we going to have this whole 14 minutes, 12 minutes no competitions nonsense again?

Its fkn golf. 3 or 4 folks in a field the size of 3 or 4 football pitches each hole.

Variants. Mother of ****.

You couldnt make this sh1t up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

So are we going to have this whole 14 minutes, 12 minutes no competitions nonsense again?

Its fkn golf. 3 or 4 folks in a field the size of 3 or 4 football pitches each hole.

Variants. Mother of ****.

You couldnt make this sh1t up.

Where are you picking this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Seve OB wrote: »
    Where are you picking this up?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/golf/arid-40233845.html

And just in general reading through the last 3 or 4 pages of this thread. Not directed at you its just Im beginning to despair with some of stuff you read.

If people are worried about picking covid up during golf then there is a very easy solution. Dont. Play. Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

Just on this, the UK & Scotland's courses have been open for most of the Pandemic. England only closing them in their last/most recent lock down and are back opening in March. Bear in mind they were one of the worse hit country's with covid. Now they are vaccinating more people in a week than we have altogether.. Shocking stuff really.. I think I heard yesterday we are one of the worse country's in Europe for restrictions Some might see that as a good thing.

But IMO Golf should be allowed open members only with competitions Id be happy with that..

We can go on and on about this and have done.. Like clothes shops are closed but woodies is open...

• Advertisement

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/golf/arid-40233845.html

And just in general reading through the last 3 or 4 pages of this thread. Not directed at you its just Im beginning to despair with some of stuff you read.

If people are worried about picking covid up during golf then there is a very easy solution. Dont. Play. Golf.

Exactly.
    In any other time thinking the shutting down of an entire industry is acceptable over a couple of lads arriving together or lads in four balls standing slightly too close would be seen as a complete over-reaction.
    But not now, proportionality has completely gone out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Any Luttrelstown members on here??

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

kieran. wrote: »
    One of my family of 6 had it recently so assume it to be the new variant, we spent 2 weeks (with no meaningful isolation) in lockdown with him and non of us caught, so I would not be so sure you would pick it up from a playing partner over the course over 18 Holes!
    Its possible some of you guys were asymptomatic and for every instance as you described there will be another where all the household got infected. I know of two families that this has happened too and in my own case i got it yet no one in the house got it. That's the nature of viruses unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Have to take issue with this comment. Totally unfair, I played a lot of golf last summer and never once saw 1 person go into a pro shop without a mask, shake hands, etc etc.. Using phrases like that about people essentially walking around a large field in small groups is hyperbole.

I would hazard a guess it was the 5 k and county restrictions the poster was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I think the big problem is yet to come.

I fear this is not going to be our last dance when it comes to dangerous pandemics and the likes. We have to learn to live with the difficulties that face us and not hide under blankets.

A dangerous precedent is being set by shutting everything down, it’s just not acceptable IMO. Solutions have to be found, it won’t always be possible, but if there is one staring you in the face, make use of it.

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Any Luttrelstown members on here??

Footage doing the rounds of lads playing there. But a good point was made that it could be eltie golfers / pros ?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Footage doing the rounds of lads playing there. But a good point was made that it could be eltie golfers / pros ?

https://twitter.com/IrishGolfDesk/status/1365403304088522763

I'll post a still if you want and these were no elite golfers... I took the video today

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

Looks like they were using buggies? Would have to get them from pro shop?

I'll post a still if you want and these were no elite golfers... I took the video today

I wouldn't be into a witch hunt like that.

Even if they were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Nothing good can come from posting the video, right or wrong, hackers or elite golfers it does nothing positive for how the game is perceived amongst non golfers. It’s a loose loose situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Could they just be the staff?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Wouldn't blame them in fairness, I'd be very tempted if I had the access.

What is situation on elite golf and pros . I've actually lost track. And if they can play . Why don't you see it more.

There was a post that you would need a time sheet for Corballis there were so many out.

In fairness a full course in Corballis. Id rather lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

We had a similar incident at my club in lockdown 1. As some of yous would know my course, would know it's in the middle of know where so to speak. 4 of the bar staff were kept on to do security so where living on the grounds. They took it in turns one would have to stay in the castle overnight checking the cameras and walking the grounds regularly etc.

Anyway the other 3 started to play golf during the day . They weren't golfers and it was mainly out of boredom. I was talking to one of them when we were back as it made the papers ie. Someone reported them! The staff member told me they were really getting into it and improving! But when they were reported the owner went mad and they nearly lose their jobs.

The lads aren't on great money, sound lads though but it left a sour taste with them. The person that reported them must of really gone out of his way. He told me if that's the type of people that play the gamehe couldn't be arsed. Plus the owner banned them from playing on the course. My club is gated high wall and bushes surrounding it. So totally secluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

I loves me game of golf , I have given years to the game, Id hate to tally up the amount of money but it must be nearly 50 K

I would love a game right now, however this lockdown has given me so much more time to do things on my time off, go back to stuff I was interested in before golf got a hold of me. I can go for two hour cycle in the countryside and it feels like a long time while I am doing it,but it is still only 9 holes.
    I know when Golf reopens I will be first back, but - I wish it did not have such a grip on me.

I actually have considered maybe giving it up.. the amount of hassle it creates in my head is just mad, our club - tee times are mental for the last year or two, and the hassle of getting out early, slow play, playing with the odd asshole, its hassle in your life that you could do without.
    When golf reopens it will mania again - you just have to say sometimes , is it worth all the hassle.

Saying all of that , I am about to Post looking for a good quality net and mat.

Was thinking there - stuff like that actually puts the ability for us all to get back on a course at real risk. They are I guess grown men - you have literally children who are not breaking any rules, missing all their special occasions.

Would be embarrassing for the GUI to have to issue something - but the clubs in question should. There is no point in pulling any punches - it should be a life time club / GUI ban.

Call it a hunch - but if the lads love their golf that much , not being able to win their prizes - would hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

What’s the point of posting that here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Need to seriously reevaluate your life if you’re in the business of taking pics to snitch on people when you don’t know any of the facts as to why they are doing something.

This pandemic has really shown certain people to be very sad and pathetic.

I follow guidelines as do probably 90% of the public. Not a hope I’d be up in arms over seeing something like lads on a golf course. I’d just assume they were pros(even if they were not)

I heard of a man approach a group of kids having a kick about in a park a few weeks ago. He approached the adult giving out saying he was reporting them to the gards. What a sad sad existence that man must live.

ForeRight wrote: »
    Need to seriously reevaluate your life if you’re in the business of taking pics to snitch on people when you don’t know any of the facts as to why they are doing something.

This pandemic has really shown certain people to be very sad and pathetic.

I follow guidelines as do probably 90% of the public. Not a hope I’d be up in arms over seeing something like lads on a golf course. I’d just assume they were pros(even if they were not)

I heard of a man approach a group of kids having a kick about in a park a few weeks ago. He approached the adult giving out saying he was reporting them to the gards. What a sad sad existence that man must live.

I do agree with your general point. But the pandemic has seriously highlighted that there are selfish ****ers out there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

Nice one, bring some more negative exposure to golf. Why don’t you head out for a game yourself and live stream it?

Advertisement