Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

10 holes, 2 pars... Gloriously sh1te golf all around and never happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

18 holes. Course immaculate (about 6th tee time of the day), weather absolutely perfect (sunny warm and very little breeze), golf itself was completely different from pre **** down (driver was awful, now great, short game was excellent, now a cluster)...but was absolutely fantastic to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Was down the driving range at lunch it was packed, busiest I have seen. Great to be hitting balls, out tomorrow evening. Might go up and do some chipping and putting tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Our club has a singles qualifying competition next weekend. Is that allowed? Not according to the Golf Ireland protocols, but maybe I've missed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Anyone know if the 9 hole in Marley Park is back open?

• Advertisement

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Our club has a singles qualifying competition next weekend. Is that allowed? Not according to the Golf Ireland protocols, but maybe I've missed something.

Yes. Once it's not called a competition. Clubs can run competitions in all but name at the moment. Also should be no promoting of results or presentation but everything else you associate with a competition is allowed.

It's in the FAQ document from Golf Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭finglashoop

back nine in elmgreen this morning.

course immaculate

4 pars
    2 bogeys
    2 doubles- 1 terrible three putt and the other when three off the tee so recovered well.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

Wrecked. Lucky to be a member of 2 clubs so got 36 in today. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

The Nal wrote: »
    Anyone know if the 9 hole in Marley Park is back open?

I ran past it last week, not only is it not open, it won’t be open any time soon.

Hasn’t been touched in months if not years, completely overgrown and in an awfully decrepit state. I believe the greens are artificial (I’ve never played it myself), so maybe a few weeks of maintenance, cutting and tidying might spruce it up but it looked awful last week anyways .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Hasn’t been touched in months if not years, completely overgrown and in an awfully decrepit state. I believe the greens are artificial (I’ve never played it myself), so maybe a few weeks of maintenance, cutting and tidying might spruce it up but it looked awful last week anyways .

It has been closed for a couple of years. The artificial greens turned out to be a bad idea. I think there was talk of restoring it to grass but I don't know if anything is being done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

11 holes this evening, fab weather, started on our back 9 and topped my 3 wood straight down the middle and managed a bogie, 4 more bogies, 5 pars and a birdie later I'm thinking that maybe I should take more breaks away from the game.. BEGINNERS LUCK I RECKON

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

First birdie of the year :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Jaysus happy to be able to hit the ball, birdied 1st which was my 10th so was a bit warmed up by then

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/golf-returns-today-clubs-can-23982725

so membership is not a requirement to play golf. what about the rest of it? is this 2 household thing set in stone or is it a Golf Ireland 'guideline'? can i have 4 lads from 4 households playing every 8 minutes? seeing as this membership 'rule' is a load of baloney what am i supposed to believe from Golf Ireland?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I played 36 holes yesterday, and am seriously suffering now. Legs are killing me, and i'm burnt to a crisp.

And i wouldn't have it any other way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

Played 13 holes last night, jaysus it's great to be back. Got a new driver and topped it straight off the 1st, was nearly bringing it straight back. Very very rusty as can be expected, irons and chipping/pitching need a bit of practice. However 10 pars, 2 bogeys and a birdie will more than do first time out. Can't wait for next time already. Jaysus it's great to be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,772 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Got out for 9 last night, lovely evening for it. Wasn't expecting my game to be great but my god it was bad. Lost 3 balls through 3 holes and the enthusiasm I had had was completely gone.

Steadied a little and started to hit a few nice shots and grabbed myself a couple of pars coming in. Course is in good condition, greens rock hard so the rain should help there. Not back out until Saturday.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Was supposed to be playing at 9.20 today. Wife came home from work sick yesterday and now has to get a COVID test today so had to cancel. Will most likely have to cancel tomorrow as well unless we get results same day which is unlikely. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

KevH1984 wrote: »
    Played 13 holes last night, jaysus it's great to be back. Got a new driver and topped it straight off the 1st, was nearly bringing it straight back. Very very rusty as can be expected, irons and chipping/pitching need a bit of practice. However 10 pars, 2 bogeys and a birdie will more than do first time out. Can't wait for next time already. Jaysus it's great to be back.

Sounds like you weren't too rusty, on a side not i wonder how many people bought new clubs over lockdown and played crap with them and now are returning them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

A very rusty 26pts off my new 'course handicap' of 18. Took me 12 holes to get a par but I loved it anyway. Will get out again later in the week and hopefully twice at the weekend so things can only get better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

KevH1984 wrote: »

I really think your definition of Rusty needs to be adjusted :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,212 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Got out for 6 holes last night, better than nothing. Nearly broke my new driver with first shot, wasn't tightened near enough. Lost ball cos of sun and unsure of direction. Had 10 and 11 points per ball, so not too bad, almost an eagle too. Overall was mostly good as didn't play since October

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Mushy wrote: »
    Got out for 6 holes last night, better than nothing. Nearly broke my new driver with first shot, wasn't tightened near enough. Lost ball cos of sun and unsure of direction. Had 10 and 11 points per ball, so not too bad, almost an eagle too. Overall was mostly good as didn't play since October

You played two balls? How odd (and somewhat novel)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

9 holes yesterday afternoon in idyllic weather. Course in great shape. smoked a drive off 1 and was playing quite nicely through 6, before the wheels came off the last 3. The few balls I managed to hit in the local park during lockdown is nothing compared to having a specific target on the course. As the old saying goes, I'd freed the muscles but not the mind. Felt very strange over the ball at times and one or 2 comically bad shot were produced. Oh well, great to be back at it, on again Friday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I ran past it last week, not only is it not open, it won’t be open any time soon.

Seems they've decided to revamp it

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/marlay-park-s-incredibly-difficult-and-demoralising-par-3-golf-course-to-be-revamped-1.4464163

I played it with the astro greens. Absolutely dreadful. If you landed on the greens from the tee the ball bounced into the outer atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

how is it odd?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,212 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

On my own and behind a 2 ball so no point hanging around too much

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

Macker1 wrote: »
    I really think your definition of Rusty needs to be adjusted :D:D

:):):) I'll put it down to beginners luck. Back out Saturday so will see what that brings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

If I am out practicing at night when course is quiet I will always play eith

3 balls off tee and best 2 to completion
    2 balls worst ball

You will lose lots of balls mind you. But great practice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

9 holes yesterday afternoon in idyllic weather. Course in great shape. smoked a drive off 1 and was playing quite nicely through 6, before the wheels came off the last 3! The few balls I manged to hit in the local park during lockdown is nothing compared to having a specific target on the course. As the old saying goes, I'd freed the muscles but not the mind. Felt very strange over the ball at times and one or 2 comically bad shot were produced. Oh well, great to be back at it, on again Friday morning!

Could be talking about my round! 3 under through 3 and wheels came off a bit after that:o

Advertisement