Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 GUI Cups & Shields

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Rosses Point (3 away) beaten by Enniscrone in Junior Cup on Sat. Apparently, there was a bit of controversy in Enniscrone: their Captain wouldn't play off the Blue Tees and insisted on playing from the whites. Pretty poor form really given that the Competition Rules state clearly that it must be the Blue tees.
    Anyway, Rosses Point's last team standing is the Senior Cup.

Would you submit a complaint considering the breach?

Always thought it was at the discretion of the home team what tees to play from (could be different for each province too)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

frink wrote: »

Always thought it was at the discretion of the home team what tees to play from (could be different for each province too)

I thought the same.

I know 27 hole clubs have to play the same combination once they play 1 round on it and tees should the the same every round but didn't think it made a difference what color they are or if stated 'back' tees in a rule book.

Wouldn't fancy playing the likes of Druids Heath off the back tees on a soft day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

It's definitely a rule for Connacht Junior Cup as we were instructed by the Connacht GUI Secretary for our first round after we thought it was White tees.

I'm not the Team Captain so it wouldn't be my place to object. It's pretty poor form though and more than a little unsportsmanlike (if that's a word!)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Different provinces have different "provisions".
    Connaught:
    Venue for Matches: All Inter-Club Matches shall be played over a Club’s recognised No.1 competition course.

Ulster:
    Matches shall be played from the Competition Tees (normally White) unless previously agreed with the Branch Office

Neither Leinster nor Munster have anything regarding the course afaik.

It's definitely a rule for Connacht Junior Cup as we were instructed by the Connacht GUI Secretary for our first round after we thought it was White tees.

I'm not the Team Captain so it wouldn't be my place to object. It's pretty poor form though and more than a little unsportsmanlike (if that's a word!)

It depends on the course, lots of courses mostly play comps off the whites and rarely off the blues, we would be the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

GreeBo wrote: »
    It depends on the course, lots of courses mostly play comps off the whites and rarely off the blues, we would be the opposite.

Pardon the pun but it's "black and white" for us! For as long as I can remember, the "one weekend" qualifying in Connacht has always been the Blue tees. In our first round match, we contacted the Connacht Secretary who stated that it must be played from the Blue tees.

Anyway, it's water under the bridge now.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

Different provinces have different "provisions".
    Connaught:
    Venue for Matches: All Inter-Club Matches shall be played over a Club’s recognised No.1 competition course.

Ulster:
    Matches shall be played from the Competition Tees (normally White) unless previously agreed with the Branch Office

Neither Leinster nor Munster have anything regarding the course afaik.

Munster do have a rule what tees to play from. https://www.golfnet.ie/sites/ContentControl/About%20Us%20Listing%20Assets/Cups%20%20Shields%20Munster%20Matrix%202020%20Revised.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Yeah munster junior cup is definitely off the “back tees””

Had to play the finals in Tralee of the back sticks and it was some test.

Poker Face wrote: »
    Yeah munster junior cup is definitely off the “back tees””

Had to play the finals in Tralee of the back sticks and it was some test.

That seems to be new since 2020, and that doc doesnt follow the previous "standard".
    I grabbed the 2019 GUI "rules" for my quotes above.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Faithlegg still have 3 teams in cups after this weekend

Pierce Purcell defeated Williamstown. Onto round 4 vs Thurles in neutral venue

That can’t be right. Ballykisteen knocked Thurles out and then Cahir knocked Ballykisteen out over the weekend.

• Advertisement

That seems to be new since 2020, and that doc doesnt follow the previous "standard".
    I grabbed the 2019 GUI "rules" for my quotes above.

Munster GUI had it in there 2019 matrix as well, have it in an email. The 2018 one doesn't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

callaway92 wrote: »
    That can’t be right. Ballykisteen knocked Thurles out and then Cahir knocked Ballykisteen out over the weekend.

Oops. You are right. Faithlegg to play Cahir Park😅

Munster GUI had it in there 2019 matrix as well, have it in an email. The 2018 one doesn't have it.

Hmm, https://www.golfnet.ie/siteassets/tournament-conditions-book.pdf

Which is for 2019 has no such stipulation (that I can see!) on Page 8?
    Do you have a link to your copy?

Hmm, https://www.golfnet.ie/siteassets/tournament-conditions-book.pdf

Which is for 2019 has no such stipulation (that I can see!) on Page 8?
    Do you have a link to your copy?

Only have it in an email which Ive attached

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Didn't Cahir have to play two front 9's for their Junior Cup matches last weekend due to waterlogged back 9?

Only have it in an email which Ive attached

Weird!
    Do you know if that came directly from GUI or its something that someone made up within the club?

Weird!
    Do you know if that came directly from GUI or its something that someone made up within the club?

Came directly from Munster GUI Office

Sent: Wednesday 17 April 2019 10:18
    To: The Munster Branch <info@munster.gui.ie>
    Subject: Cups & Shields Munster - Tee Policy - Cups and Shield - 2019

To whom it may concern

In advance of the start of the senior Cups & Shields events (Fred Daly and Junior Foursomes have already started), please note Munster Golf policy hosting clubs will operate with regards to Tees.

Blue or Back Tees - Senior Cup, Barton Shield, Junior Cup.

White or Medal Tees - All other GUI sponsored Competitions including Bruen Shield and Pierce Purcell Shield.

For reference Draws & Team sheets can be accessed from this useful link https://www.golfnet.ie/about-us/documents/361/2018-munster-cups-and-shields-

tbayers wrote: »
    Didn't Cahir have to play two front 9's for their Junior Cup matches last weekend due to waterlogged back 9?

No - Junior Cup and Pierce Purcell were played over the full 18 (other course users could only play the old side of the river).

No - Junior Cup and Pierce Purcell were played over the full 18 (other course users could only play the old side of the river).

Ah, mixed reports so

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Newlands beat Craddockstown 4-1 in Junior Cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Portmarnock Links GC defeted The Island CG in Barton Cup

Bit of a farce one in Pierce Purcell.(Cahir vs Faithlegg)

First tee time in Gold Coast was 15:10. Alas, the inevitable happened. 2-2 with last match on the course; Cahir win 18th to square that match up. Pitch dark outside and thus the GUI now have to work to find a suitable time to play the sudden death hole.

Classy stuff all round to let this situation happen. Gold Coast not coming across too well giving a best tee time of 15:10..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Carton House beat Lucan GC in the Senior Cup yesterday. I believe Naas GC were beaten by Westmanstown, something of an upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

First tee time in Gold Coast was 15:10. Alas, the inevitable happened. 2-2 with last match on the course; Cahir win 18th to square that match up. Pitch dark outside and thus the GUI now have to work to find a suitable time to play the sudden death hole.

Classy stuff all round to let this situation happen. Gold Coast not coming across too well giving a best tee time of 15:10..

Can't blame host club(gold coast) GUI agreed time with both clubs beforehand.
    Knowing gold coast nobody on timesheet on a Sunday after 12 usually.

I was in 2nd group for faithlegg

Was going to post about this. Both clubs had asked to put it on earlier. Was never a chance of making it before dark. Even before the off on the putting green we were chatting with Cahir players and everyone knew we weren't going to get finished.

2 referees there and one of them giving us a nudge on the 9th looking at his watch as we headed up fairway even though we got a conpetitive fourball thru 9 holes in 1hr 50 mins. Our group didn't lose one ball, and everyone was actually in every hole tbh. Very good quality match. Neither group took more than 15 seconds over a putt, nor did we read any putt from back of hole etc.. We won ours on 17 at about 20 past 7. So just under so not slow

What happened after was a farce, embarrassing for the GUI and potentially dangerous tbh. Group after us were level going up 18 and could barely see the ball in flight with 6/7 players looking to see where the ball went. We lost that game on 18. Our 5th group got beaten on 16

With the match at it all came down to our 4th group who were 1 up going into 18. Par 5 and honestly nobody knew where the drives were going. Was pitch dark. Only by feeling, our group did know they went right

The same thing happened when hitting wedges from 130 to green. I was standing directly behind them to see it and not a hope. Both of them ended up right of green beside other players who didn't see balls coming either. Ended up losing to the only 1 who hit green and eventually referee allowed them to comeback in a few days

An absolute shambles tbh from GUI. Makes a mockery of guys who practiced for this. Got to ask yourself.. Would this have happened for a Senior Cup? Both clubs had asked for this to be put on earlier but no budging. I mean, surely there was one club in the south with tee times available for 12 or 1 o'clock this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Was going to post about this. Both clubs had asked to put it on earlier. Was never a chance of making it before dark. Even before the off on the putting green we were chatting with Cahir players and everyone knew we weren't going to get finished.

2 referees there and one of them giving us a nudge on the 9th looking at his watch as we headed up fairway even though we got a conpetitive fourball thru 9 holes in 1hr 50 mins. Our group didn't lose one ball, and everyone was actually in every hole tbh. Very good quality match. Neither group took more than 15 seconds over a putt, nor did we read any putt from back of hole etc.. We won ours on 17 at about 20 past 7. So just under so not slow

What happened after was a farce, embarrassing for the GUI and potentially dangerous tbh. Group after us were level going up 18 and could barely see the ball in flight with 6/7 players looking to see where the ball went. We lost that game on 18. Our 5th group got beaten on 16

With the match at it all came down to our 4th group who were 1 up going into 18. Par 5 and honestly nobody knew where the drives were going. Was pitch dark. Only by feeling, our group did know they went right

The same thing happened when hitting wedges from 130 to green. I was standing directly behind them to see it and not a hope. Both of them ended up right of green beside other players who didn't see balls coming either. Ended up losing to the only 1 who hit green and eventually referee allowed them to comeback in a few days

An absolute shambles tbh from GUI. Makes a mockery of guys who practiced for this. Got to ask yourself.. Would this have happened for a Senior Cup? Both clubs had asked for this to be put on earlier but no budging. I mean, surely there was one club in the south with tee times available for 12 or 1 o'clock this weekend

I played Senior Cup yesterday and we caught up with a 4 person scramble after the 9th. Club captain was watching and insisted that we be let through groups as necessary. That certainly helped re timing, wouldv been a v long day otherwise.

Were the pp matches held up by members comp or was it just that it started so late?
    Would be very surprised if gold coast was busy until 3pm on a Sunday.
    Pretty confident any of the courses in the east could have facilitated the arch at an earlier time

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Were the pp matches held up by members comp or was it just that it started so late?
    Would be very surprised if gold coast was busy until 3pm on a Sunday.
    Pretty confident any of the courses in the east could have facilitated the arch at an earlier time

Nope. Our first tee off was 3.15. With the GUI protocol of 10 mins inbetween 4balls the last group set off at 3.55

There were 3 balls ahead of us but not held up any bit

This may he seen by some as off topic but. With crowds now being left into sporting events, I presume GUI will update their policies regarding crowds in next day or so? Area final at weekend, I know quite a few who would love to travel and watch

• Advertisement

tbayers wrote: »
    This may he seen by some as off topic but. With crowds now being left into sporting events, I presume GUI will update their policies regarding crowds in next day or so? Area final at weekend, I know quite a few who would love to travel and watch

I am sure supporters have been to most games any way. Not like u will get hundreds turning up

Advertisement