Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 GUI Cups & Shields

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Snotty wrote: »
    Started this morning in Donegal, looks like only Jimmy Bruen teams out so far, it can be followed here

https://www.golfireland.ie/inter-club#/schedule

Berehaven won the Bruen. No surprise there at all, as was predicted last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

..... And Spanish point cruising to another PP shield, as will shock absolutely no one😡

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Are these being played to last years handicaps?

DuckSlice wrote: »

It's the same panels as last year, so I assume so. Bigger question is do the same players qualify to play the same competitions this year again?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

DuckSlice wrote: »

These are the 2020 Finals so being played off the lowest H/C from 2019

This years comp are off new WHI at 1/1/21

• Advertisement

Ronney wrote: »
    These are the 2020 Finals so being played off the lowest H/C from 2019

This years comp are off new WHI at 1/1/21

But are the winning players today not cut in their handicap? Which means their handicap index should be back dated to January? Otherwise the same panel could potentially be out again in a few weeks time in the first round?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

But are the winning players today not cut in their handicap? Which means their handicap index should be back dated to January? Otherwise the same panel could potentially be out again in a few weeks time in the first round?

Not sure if they are cut. Going to keep an eye on it and see if they will be. Everyone should be cut 3 shots minimum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Spanish point are unreal. Is that 4 pierce purcell crowns now in the last 7 or 8 years. And not just winning, two of their matches won by 7 holes. Sensational

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1 of 7

I read on Twitter two 15 handicappers won 7 & 6 for Spanish Point.

Rikand wrote: »
    Spanish point are unreal. Is that 4 pierce purcell crowns now in the last 7 or 8 years. And not just winning, two of their matches won by 7 holes. Sensational

You say "sensational". Others would have a different word for it.

• Advertisement

Well that's very opinionated of you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

It beggars belief that such small clubs can be so successful on a national scale each year

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

They were very unlucky not to win 7 out of the last 8 .....Golf can be a cruel game ....I would think some players on that team could have 3 medals..... The club captains must be very proud of their achievements !

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

slingerz wrote: »
    It beggars belief that such small clubs can be so successful on a national scale each year

As a member of a perceived smaller club who has has success in one or two of the interclubs
    in recent times, we find that a lot of the more reputable, household name clubs
    we get to play often don't bother to practice our 'mickey mouse' course and especially
    when they have the home draw bank on winning all their games at home. We send strong
    Singles/pairs away who have done their homework/practice, then if we go ahead in the
    matches and they have no plan B!!.
    Add in then the value of local knowledge, making use of players on the way down the handicap where you use last year's lowest and some underdog motivation and team mentality commitment and it's not surprising the smaller clubs can 'punch above their weight'!! Long may the underestimation continue!!

Of course whenever we get a good panel in a competition and start fancying ourselves, we have fallen foul of our own over confidence

evillive wrote: »
    As a member of a perceived smaller club who has has success in one or two of the interclubs
    we get to play often don't bother to practice our 'mickey mouse' course and especially
    when they have the home draw bank on winning all their games at home. We send strong
    Singles/pairs away who have done their homework/practice, then if we go ahead in the
    Add in then the value of local knowledge, making use of players on the way down the handicap where you use last year's lowest and some underdog motivation and team mentality commitment and it's not surprising the smaller clubs can 'punch above their weight'!! Long may the underestimation continue!!

Of course whenever we get a good panel in a competition and start fancying ourselves, we have fallen foul of our own over confidence

With all due respect, I don't think there was any underestimation of the winning team this year ........
    The comments on Twitter will tell you all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

While that is all well and good it stands to reason that a smaller club will struggle to produce a team to perform year on year in national competitions when the qualifying standard for those competitions are set at a specific level. If they are young players they should be coming down, similarly old mid handicaps should either drop slightly or else decline out of competitiveness.

Any amount of preparation or tactical approach cannot counterbalance these

• Registered Users Posts: 14,427 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh, for something like Purcell it makes complete sense that success should only be in spurts/maybe two-years max.

Anything more is beyond luck/skill. It’s not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Iv been giving out and complaining for years about Spanish point. I actually know some of them and have played many matches against them.

At least 5 of the starting 10 players in the final could and should be off single figures. That team would be and very often is there Jimmy bruen team too and they are difficult to beat.

The players are all nice fellas but for whatever reason just like looking after their handicaps collectively for winning these inter club comps and also classics.

The scary thing about their team is that they are missing 4 players who previously played with them. They could have been even stronger. Sure the furthest the Hehir’s went was the 16th. They are the chief architects of all of it.

As a fellow golfer said to me at the weekend "don't worry about it, there isn't a golfer out there that will give them any credit". .....

Players used to get cut a number of shots when they were part of a team that won an interclub. Does that still happen ?

• Advertisement

Players used to get cut a number of shots when they were part of a team that won an interclub. Does that still happen ?

I'm wondering that myself, especially this year. The interclub comps start pretty soon. Surely the winning clubs can't put out the exact same panels again this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

With all due respect, I don't think there was any underestimation of the winning team this year ........
    The comments on Twitter will tell you all you need to know.[/Q

I was just responding to the comment about small non big prestigious clubs doing well in general and my own experience, not referring to the club you are talking about,
    more perhaps the situation of the 4 teams that made the JB final none a previous winner so a new name on that roll of honour

The comments on Twitter will tell you all you need to know.[/Q

I was just responding to the comment about small non big prestigious clubs doing well in general and my own experience, not referring to the club you are talking about,
    more perhaps the situation of the 4 teams that made the JB final none a previous winner so a new name on that roll of honour

My apologies..... Misinterpreted your post. I think Luckygent is familiar with what we are getting at here. I've no issue with size or quality of clubs that win. Everyone who plays golf in Clare knows the story. And it's pretty pathetic tbh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

Not happened yet anyway, looked up a couple of people who won Pierce Purcell

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NedBagg

Poker Face wrote: »
    Not happened yet anyway, looked up a couple of people who won Pierce Purcell

Pretty sure they don't get cut for winning ... I would guess that most of their players will be playing PP again this year.. Im managing a PP team this year and you wonder what is the point.. to win an All ire final by that score is not right But then as lads have said SP are known for it... In my pairings if they break 80 in a round then I see that as exceptional score and none have done it yet..but I keep telling them that is where they have to get to.. I think 80 and below may be the norm for some clubs... What these guys are doing is cheating pure and simple... what say the GUI??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

It sounds extremely dubious

Sounds like they have a team of potentially single figure handicappers who barely play rounds for handicapping purposes. To be that consistent is suspect given the nature of golfers is to be inconsistent - everyone can see their golf handicap history, I bet you most peoples looks like a Sin/Cos wave

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

willabur wrote: »
    It sounds extremely dubious

Sounds like they have a team of potentially single figure handicappers who barely play rounds for handicapping purposes. To be that consistent is suspect given the nature of golfers is to be inconsistent - everyone can see their golf handicap history, I bet you most peoples looks like a Sin/Cos wave
    Can they? Where?

sorry, I meant everyone can see their own golf handicap history. Trying to make a point that the golfer who plays at pierce purcell level will hit their handicap 8 times out of 20 by definition. Arriving to competition with one of your 8 great rounds ready to go is quite a skill set to have

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

willabur wrote: »
    sorry, I meant everyone can see their own golf handicap history. Trying to make a point that the golfer who plays at pierce purcell level will hit their handicap 8 times out of 20 by definition. Arriving to competition with one of your 8 great rounds ready to go is quite a skill set to have

Players who play Pierce Purcell or any interclub will have arrived at their handicap by virtue of their best 8 scores out of 20 prior to 1 January. By the time it comes to May or June when the competition starts quite a few players, especially young lads, will be playing to a better level than that. I actually think the interclubs would be better if they had handicap limits based on up to date handicaps. But then I suppose you'd have lads protecting their handicaps to stay on the team.

Regarding the comments about a certain PP team having half the lads on it being single figure players in reality makes a mockery of the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Players who play Pierce Purcell or any interclub will have arrived at their handicap by virtue of their best 8 scores out of 20 prior to 1 January. By the time it comes to May or June when the competition starts quite a few players, especially young lads, will be playing to a better level than that. I actually think the interclubs would be better if they had handicap limits based on up to date handicaps. But then I suppose you'd have lads protecting their handicaps to stay on the team.

Regarding the comments about a certain PP team having half the lads on it being single figure players in reality makes a mockery of the whole thing.

That's it. Anyone can have a seriously hot streak on a given day or couple of days but for multiple lads on the same team doing in in the same tournament year after year....

Advertisement