Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 GUI Cups & Shields

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Douglas beat Cork 3.5 to 1.5 in senior cup last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Rosses Point lost to Castle Dargan in Junior Cup.

Castle Dargan disqualified for playing an ineligible player (not sure why he was ineligible). Rosses Point back in, playing Enniscrone Sat 29th Aug.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

As someone who is now just looking in from afar; can any managers or current players advise on what they think is the best make up of the team given the 3 home and 2 away Matches.

This is a new format in Munster region anyway for all the comps so interested to know peoples thoughts on how managers should go about putting the team together.

Luckily my old club has got through a few matches so far in a couple of the comps so interested to see how the teams get selected.

Also interesting is that Adare Resort were entered in a few comps for the first time I think. Would certainly be putting my hand up to play the away leg if I was playing against them!!!

Think the 3 home and 2 away should stay even if we get beyond Covid times

• Registered Users Posts: 31 1 of 7

If Nphet extend the lockdown in kildare for 2 weeks today as expected, what will happen with the kildare teams in the inter club matches as they will fall 2/3 rounds behind schedule in the competitions. Will the kildare teams have to give walk overs. It would seem very unfair?

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

1 of 7 wrote: »
    If Nphet extend the lockdown in kildare for 2 weeks today as expected, what will happen with the kildare teams in the inter club matches as they will fall 2/3 rounds behind schedule in the competitions. Will the kildare teams have to give walk overs. It would seem very unfair?

It's getting very late in the year. As I understand the GUI stance as per the current guidelines, matches are not allowed to take place on Sunday 23rd. If that is extended, it'll be another 2 weeks before matches can be played. If that is the case, I can't see how the comps can be finished without the county restricted teams being thrown out. Unfair it may be, but for the sake of the comps as a whole, it may be the best course of action at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

slingerz wrote: »
    Think the 3 home and 2 away should stay even if we get beyond Covid times

Do you mean instead of the normal stroke qualifier?
    Straight to matchplay will have too many rounds to get through (which is why they move these things to strokes qualifier)

If you mean during the normal matchplay stages then I dunno if I agree, its a pretty big advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

GreeBo wrote: »
    Do you mean instead of the normal stroke qualifier?
    Straight to matchplay will have too many rounds to get through (which is why they move these things to strokes qualifier)

If you mean during the normal matchplay stages then I dunno if I agree, its a pretty big advantage.

It's not stroke qualifier everywhere though. I can see the merit of keeping the 3+2 next year ie. not blocking too many teetimes at the host course as is normally the case with maybe 8 teams competing on the one day.

The downside is the lack of buzz and atmosphere at the host club that comes with so many matches happening over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

If they had enough time to run it off this year home and away then it should be doable in a normal year.
    Leinster run the comps differently to Connaught where there are home and away matches and even groups in some comps where u play 3 teams.

For say the Junior cup that could easily be played mid week.

It's not stroke qualifier everywhere though. I can see the merit of keeping the 3+2 next year ie. not blocking too many teetimes at the host course as is normally the case with maybe 8 teams competing on the one day.

The downside is the lack of buzz and atmosphere at the host club that comes with so many matches happening over the weekend.

It's only not strokes qualifier if there are not too many people to go straight to matchplay afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

mike12 wrote: »
    If they had enough time to run it off this year home and away then it should be doable in a normal year.
    Leinster run the comps differently to Connaught where there are home and away matches and even groups in some comps where u play 3 teams.

Just wondering why Junior cup specifically could be easily played mid week? Going out tin the evening after a full days work would hardly be best preparation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Ronney wrote: »
    Just wondering why Junior cup specifically could be easily played mid week? Going out tin the evening after a full days work would hardly be best preparation.

Its singles and quicker than 4ball or 4some.

Not sure how playing after work is any different to playing at any other time.

mike12 wrote: »

It was only possible this year due to fewer entrants (and playing matches every week) we were already having issues with people on two teams that were playing on the same day.

It's only not strokes qualifier if there are not too many people to go straight to matchplay afaik.

I would say it's only stroke qualifier if there are too many to go to straight matchplay. Subtle difference but a difference all the same;)

I would say it's only stroke qualifier if there are too many to go to straight matchplay. Subtle difference but a difference all the same;)

Bah, you lesser provinces are all the same! ;)

But I would agree, more matchplay the better.

Bah, you lesser provinces are all the same! ;)

:D Give me the west of Ireland over anywhere inside the pale to be honest. Both have their merits but I would go insane stuck in the greater Dublin area

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

8 teams, try 19, that's how many teams were due to play in some Dublin qualifiers

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Hermitage bet Castle in senior cup on 23rd this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Think the stroke qualifier is a Leinster thing

I know the sentiment about the occasion when played in the one course but you get more support when playing at home

The joining of sections from the start adds a bit of variety from the usual sectional groupings as well

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Pierse Purcell Rd 3. Newlands 3 Lisheen 2..Last match won on 22nd hole in Newlands. Gutted for my team who gave it their all

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

As someone who is now just looking in from afar; can any managers or current players advise on what they think is the best make up of the team given the 3 home and 2 away Matches.

This is a new format in Munster region anyway for all the comps so interested to know peoples thoughts on how managers should go about putting the team together.

Luckily my old club has got through a few matches so far in a couple of the comps so interested to see how the teams get selected.

Also interesting is that Adare Resort were entered in a few comps for the first time I think. Would certainly be putting my hand up to play the away leg if I was playing against them!!!

Strongest pairs seem to be picked at home in my experience. Those with knowledge of away course plays a part too. However, how managers pick teams is a lottery some times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

What is the ruling ( if any) on a host course being essentially waterlogged prior to match day? I'm talking winter mats on tee boxes, shortened holes, bunkers out of play and constant plugged lies....

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

What is the ruling ( if any) on a host course being essentially waterlogged prior to match day? I'm talking winter mats on tee boxes, shortened holes, bunkers out of play and constant plugged lies....

https://www.golfnet.ie/SiteAssets/FIN%20-%20Terms%20of%20Inter-Club%20Competitions.pdf

10.4.4 In the event of a Course not being suitable for play in any round due to temporary greens or in the opinion of the Tournament Committee, abnormal ground conditions, home advantage must be conceded unless prior approval of the relevant Branch Officeis obtained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Poker Face wrote: »
    https://www.golfnet.ie/SiteAssets/FIN%20-%20Terms%20of%20Inter-Club%20Competitions.pdf

10.4.4 In the event of a Course not being suitable for play in any round due to temporary greens or in the opinion of the Tournament Committee, abnormal ground conditions, home advantage must be conceded unless prior approval of the relevant Branch Officeis obtained.
    Thanks for that pokerface. Appreciate the info...

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ballyk

Ballykisteen beat Thurles 3-2 last weekend in the Pierce Purcell and face Cahir in Round 4 on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cahir beat Ballykisteen 4-1 yesterday in Round 4 of Pierce Purcell (East Munster) - 2/3 home games and 2/2 away

Cahir beat Faithlegg in Junior Cup. Were 3-0 up and the last two games still out were called in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Looking through the Munster results and see that nenagh got beat by ballyneety in the Jimmy bruen.

That must be a big shock.

My own old club had a super win against limerick in junior cup with 3 away matchesand now play castletroy in the quarter final of munster. We are always quite strong in that comp.

Then very unlucky yesterday in senior cup v limerick where we wouldn’t be too strong. Lost 3-2 with last match in limerick loosing on 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Faithlegg still have 3 teams in cups after this weekend

Pierce Purcell defeated Williamstown. Onto round 4 vs Thurles in neutral venue

Junior Cup were beaten by Cahir Park

Senior Cup defeated Waterford Castle into round 4...2 lads playing off +3 played a match in Faithlegg. Would have loved to see it. Faithlegg won it on 18

Jimmy Bruen defeated Ballykisteen into round 3 play Tipperary Gc next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Tramore. Only one team left and that is in the Jimmy Bruen.

Beat Youghal 3-2 at the weekend and play Thurles this coming weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Rosses Point (3 away) beaten by Enniscrone in Junior Cup on Sat. Apparently, there was a bit of controversy in Enniscrone: their Captain wouldn't play off the Blue Tees and insisted on playing from the whites. Pretty poor form really given that the Competition Rules state clearly that it must be the Blue tees.
    Anyway, Rosses Point's last team standing is the Senior Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Rosses Point (3 away) beaten by Enniscrone in Junior Cup on Sat. Apparently, there was a bit of controversy in Enniscrone: their Captain wouldn't play off the Blue Tees and insisted on playing from the whites. Pretty poor form really given that the Competition Rules state clearly that it must be the Blue tees.
    Anyway, Rosses Point's last team standing is the Senior Cup.

Were previous rounds played off the whites?

Advertisement