Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 GUI Cups & Shields

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

tbayers wrote: »
    It's a rarity and not the norm. I played as high handicaper last 3 years and enjoying this format much better. Less pressure. Came up against one pair that had two low handicappers. The older heads have been harder to beat, more experienced, wiser etc.

Very easy to enjoy it when you've inflated your handicap intentionally to beat lads on a more regular basis

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Rikand wrote: »
    Very easy to enjoy it when you've inflated your handicap intentionally to beat lads on a more regular basis

I was 8 last year, got down to 6 this year. How is that handicap inflation? And most of the low low people playing off ten are young fellas who naturally are going to shoot down if good enough. We are at the end of the season, people are going to get better. Using last year's handicap is problematic some times yes, but it is same rules for every club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Galway beat Sligo to win Connaught senior cup in athlone.
    2nd extra hole needed in final pairing.

I think it was a bit easier than that unfortunately. Galway GC beat Galway Bay in semi on 20th.

5&4, 5&4, 3&2 in the final :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Class final between Douglas and Faithlegg for senior cup. Old lads against young lads.

Be a nice final to watch if we could.

Faithlegg gave them a bit of a hiding I believe
    They seem to have a great crop of youngsters coming through
    Having said that, Douglas had 14yr old Jack Murphy playing and yesterday was his first loss in the comp, so a decent prospect as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LockedBoy

Dbu wrote: »
    Faithlegg gave them a bit of a hiding I believe
    They seem to have a great crop of youngsters coming through
    Having said that, Douglas had 14yr old Jack Murphy playing and yesterday was his first loss in the comp, so a decent prospect as well

Killarney was incredible yesterday - was a class final, unreal golf by both teams. Lots of eagles, chip ins and almost every match under par. Top three matches went Faithleggs way and the last two were level when called in. Faithlegg will take some beating in the Irish finals based on what I saw yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Thats a pretty stacked Galway team for the Senior Cup

https://www.golfnet.ie/guilive#/competition/2654905/teammatch/353583

Other finalists out of Connacht

Pierce Purcell :: Gort
    Jimmy Bruen :: Ballinasloe
    Junior Cup :: Ballinasloe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Rikand wrote: »
    Thats a pretty stacked Galway team for the Senior Cup

https://www.golfnet.ie/guilive#/competition/2654905/teammatch/353583

Other finalists out of Connacht

Pierce Purcell :: Gort
    Jimmy Bruen :: Ballinasloe
    Junior Cup :: Ballinasloe

Strong showing from Ballinasloe.

Jimmy Bruen Munster finals this weekend. Berehaven wiped the floor with everyone. Bet Tramore 4-1 and then Shannon 3-2 in final. Senior Cup standard with their high qualifiers playing level par or better a common theme with one 10 playing 3 under for his round with the pairing 5 under through 15. Phenomenal golf and best of luck to them in the finals. Can't see anyone touching them, even on the links. Years in the making I'm sure

Jimmy Bruen Munster finals this weekend. Berehaven wiped the floor with everyone. Bet Tramore 4-1 and then Shannon 3-2 in final. Senior Cup standard with their high qualifiers playing level par or better a common theme with one 10 playing 3 under for his round with the pairing 5 under through 15. Phenomenal golf and best of luck to them in the finals. Can't see anyone touching them, even on the links. Years in the making I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

There is a thread about cheating in here somewhere....

• Advertisement

Remind me wrote: »
    There is a thread about cheating in here somewhere....

Never mentioned then word cheating. Commended them on their exceptional golf which wouldn't have been out of place at senior Cup level, especially from guys playing off 7. Only 100 or so in club, some talent!

Never mentioned then word cheating. Commended them on their exceptional golf which wouldn't have been out of place at senior Cup level, especially from guys playing off 7. Only 100 or so in club, some talent!

Why are they off 7? Or how are they still off 7?

Also certainly not accusing you of saying cheating, I'll say it myself!!

That's a good question. They told us only 1 person in club under 5 and made munster semi finals of junior Cup with high men on Bruen playing and starting in it. Hard to compete with that, even big clubs like Tramore and Shannon and whoever they hammered on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

That's a good question. They told us only 1 person in club under 5 and made munster semi finals of junior Cup with high men on Bruen playing and starting in it. Hard to compete with that, even big clubs like Tramore and Shannon and whoever they hammered on the way.

They didn't hammer Shannon or killarney(last hole in final match)
    It is getting to the stage where whoever wins is branded cheats
    Pretty sure if killarney had beaten them and gone on to win their would be less questioning of their handicaps

Why do you think they were cheating?
    Do you also believe Shannon were cheating as they ran them close in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

You didn’t need to say it. You are essentially telling us a guy off 10 had 49 points off back sticks in the pressure of team competition

People are right to query

gypsy79 wrote: »
    You didn’t need to say it. You are essentially telling us a guy off 10 had 49 points off back sticks in the pressure of team competition

People are right to query

Mahonys point is a very scoreable course.3 shortish/reachable par 5s. 2 near drivable par 4s
    It wasn't off the back stakes.
    Open days generally won with mid to high 40s
    So no surprise to see 7 handicap going round under par (if in fact he did)
    I know killarney had a 3 handicap playing and 2 lads both off 5 in a pairing so would assume other clubs would have similar.
    Hope bearhaven win an all Ireland. Nice club & nice lads

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Why do you think they were cheating?
    Do you also believe Shannon were cheating as they ran them close in the final

Because you see it year after year. Even in four-ball a team in Bruen should not be multiples under par.

No doubt about it you see teams build, my own club went a good distance in Bruen last year but majority of lads too low this year but there was also lads in it again this year that shouldn't have been.

They did hammer Shannon cause they didn't get close to them in the 3 matches they won. All you need is 3 exceptionally strong pairs which in fairness they had. To be 10 up on your handicap with three holes left to play is exceptional golf, for it to happen a few times around the course is beyond exceptional.

As I said earlier I hope they win and can't see see them being beat (although donegal at home potentially, on a links will be fascinating). All great guys from what was said by all. But people are allowed ask questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

golfguy1 wrote: »
    They didn't hammer Shannon or killarney(last hole in final match)
    It is getting to the stage where whoever wins is branded cheats
    Pretty sure if killarney had beaten them and gone on to win their would be less questioning of their handicaps

From my experience playing and managing towns cup, barton and PP, when you get to 1/4 final or semi final stage, it goes from a match to a walkover. PP is the only comp Ive been involved in where I thought it was pretty even, with just a few lads playing to single figure level who may have come down quickly......but more often than not hadn't budged in 12 months.

It's either rife, or in my opinion there is a vast difference in course difficulty. Hopefully the new system will balance things out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Still waiting to see what next years qualifying rules will be

Could be significant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

It's a rarity and not the norm. I played as high handicaper last 3 years and enjoying this format much better. Less pressure. Came up against one pair that had two low handicappers. The older heads have been harder to beat, more experienced, wiser etc.

I think a unique part missing this year and key to JB or Barton is foursomes. Foursomes format alone increase pressure on each playing partners ability to play under pressure knowing your partner will be playing from where you hit your last shot or putt. The revised format of fourball is understandable during these times but foursomes matchplay is where you discover a partnerships true match play ability, in my opinion. Its great to play competitive golf and represent your golf but its not the same replication of pressure you would of had in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Any idea if the finals are still going ahead in Donegal this weekend? It would seem madness to be going ahead with these at this stage, with teams having to travel long distances and stay in shared accommodation, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Any idea if the finals are still going ahead in Donegal this weekend? It would seem madness to be going ahead with these at this stage, with teams having to travel long distances and stay in shared accommodation, etc.

Speaking to a friend of mine from one of the competing clubs it is going ahead....

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

That's bonkers, golfgate level stuff. Will give a very bad message for a governing body to go ahead with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭SEORG

martinkop wrote: »
    That's bonkers, golfgate level stuff. Will give a very bad message for a governing body to go ahead with that.

Not quite golfgate level stuff. The Irish finals fall under Inter-County competition & the matches are taking place behind closed doors, all within the current level 3 and public health guidelines.

There is restricted attendance for the participating teams. Starters, named subs, nominated Covid officer, club captain, team manager & assistant manager are the only ones from each club allowed inside the gates of Murvagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Yea I still think, as someone says above, that it's bonkers. It's not like it has been up to now when you play a match home/away that you just rock up to the car park of the (relatively nearby) club where you're playing, put on your golf shoes and head out to the 1st tee. Now, the team and mentors have to drive up there, stay somewhere at least one night and travel back..

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

JC & PP Leinster finals due to be played in birr this weekend cancelled till tbc

Donegal is off this weekend and rightly so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Started this morning in Donegal, looks like only Jimmy Bruen teams out so far, it can be followed here

https://www.golfireland.ie/inter-club#/schedule

Advertisement