Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Ok, look I’m just acknowledging a sensible bit of moderation here.

Your post was very fair too.

Maybe i was a tad clumsy in my post.

Apologies.

No problem...no harm done. A good reflection of this thread....we can all agree/disagree/have a bit of back and forth with each other but still keep it civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,492 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Cole wrote: »
    No problem...no harm done. A good reflection of this thread....we can all agree/disagree/have a bit of back and forth with each other but still keep it civil.

And long may it prosper.

I was sorry to see the Ciara Kelly thread getting the chop. She deals with a lot of interesting subjects and has a doctor/woman take on them.

You are handling this criticism on the thread very well and fairly Ty.

However I would say that posters are perfectly entitled to criticise presenters who have the full power of the states network to promulgate their agenda, and they do.

Those who pay their exorbitant stipends should have recourse to a vehicle to point out legitimate critique.

Otherwise these people could just horse out their own agenda without let or hindrance.

I realise you agree largely with that view, just that the lad/lass you are debating needs to be told that.

Of course these presenters should not be abused personally.

I feel the thread is very intelligently moderated, with sensible intervention when required.
    That's a very nice thing to say. I don't think you'll like me saying this, but you're the voice of sense in these parts, Brendan, I don't think we've ever had cross words, have we? Enough of the love-in, now, we're nauseating the others. Back to normal business, and back on-topic, do we think Sarah McInerney has a political bias?

I actually think sne might be the first RTE broadcaster who votes far to the left. There's something decisively non-centrist about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

That's a very nice thing to say. I don't think you'll like me saying this, but you're the voice of sense in these parts, Brendan, I don't think we've ever had cross words, have we? Enough of the love-in, now, we're nauseating the others. Back to normal business, and back on-topic, do we think Sarah McInerney has a political bias?

I actually think sne might be the first RTE broadcaster who votes far to the left. There's something decisively non-centrist about her.

I would think she is fairly centrist, she is harder on all sides than Sean was, Sean was a bit more pretend to be friendly and let you hang yourself than her.

I guess her main problem is she has huge shoes to fill after Sean but I think she is doing as good as anyone could and I expect her to get the role permanently. The only person I can see giving her a run for her money is Claire Byrne if she was interested but I think Claire would have to give up her TV slots and I can't see her doing that.

My main problem with Sarah would be she is very PC in her views but that's more an RTE/media in general position than her personally so can't really blame her for that. We see how any politicians are treated if they stray at all from the PC narrative.

Klonker wrote: »
    I would think she is fairly centrist, she is harder on all sides than Sean was, Sean was a bit more pretend to be friendly and let you hang yourself than her.

I guess her main problem is she has huge shoes to fill after Sean but I think she is doing as good as anyone could and I expect her to get the role permanently. The only person I can see giving her a run for her money is Claire Byrne if she was interested but I think Claire would have to give up her TV slots and I can't see her doing that.

My main problem with Sarah would be she is very PC in her views but that's more an RTE/media in general position than her personally so can't really blame her for that. We see how any politicians are treated if they stray at all from the PC narrative.
    I was actually thinking about Claire Byrne when I was writing that. Here's my theory, Claire Byrne sounds sympathetic to the Left, but you just know she's a FG voter. I have nothing against FG voters, some of my best friends vote that way, but lets be honest, they're hardly very exposed to real life. I get the feeling that McInerney has a decent sense of life as it really is, there's a lack of bullsh1t in her approach -- I like this about her.

• Advertisement

She handled Richard Boyd Barrett well today when he was making a pretty poor comparison between the Barry Cowen and Brid Smith controversies. I just wish she'd call out the more populist leftist stuff a bit more...the centrist politician/policies are easy pickings.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JackPerry

On today's programme Sarah McInerney was interviewing Dr. Mary Favier , President of the Irish College of GPs on Covid and in particular in relation to the R rate of infection. The doctor incorrectly stated when the R rate is above 1 "..more than 1 person is infecting another person"
    I checked back on the recorded programme online and can confirm that is what she said. This was probably a slip of the tongue as she should have said "one person is infecting more than one person" but Sarah McInerney failed to notice this. I don't Sean O 'Rourke would have let this statement go unchecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

JackPerry wrote: »
    On today's programme Sarah McInerney was interviewing Dr. Mary Favier , President of the Irish College of GPs on Covid and in particular in relation to the R rate of infection. The doctor incorrectly stated when the R rate is above 1 "..more than 1 person is infecting another person"
    I checked back on the recorded programme online and can confirm that is what she said. This was probably a slip of the tongue as she should have said "one person is infecting more than one person" but Sarah McInerney failed to notice this. I don't Sean O 'Rourke would have let this statement go unchecked.

Ah Jaysus, Jack.

I’m not a fan of Sarah’s style but that’s a bit harsh. It’s reasonable to assume that it was a slip on the doctor’s part and nothing would be gained by hammering home the minor error in phrasing except showing that the presenter wanted to show off a bit. That’s the kind of thing Alan Partridge would do (or maybe Pat Kenny ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The fact that you had to listen to the playback to check...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

JackPerry wrote: »

Exhibit 1 for anyone who says women presenters are treated the same as male presenters on radio...

Slip of the tongues like this happen all the time. Sometimes guests will call someone an incorrect name, usually will be obvious from context what they meant and correcting them will ruin the flow and come across as being mean spirited. As previous poster said, the fact you had to go back to check if the error was there shows how minimal it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

dulpit wrote: »
    Exhibit 1 for anyone who says women presenters are treated the same as male presenters on radio...

Slip of the tongues like this happen all the time. Sometimes guests will call someone an incorrect name, usually will be obvious from context what they meant and correcting them will ruin the flow and come across as being mean spirited. As previous poster said, the fact you had to go back to check if the error was there shows how minimal it was.

I agree that the criticism was unnecessary, but where’s the evidence that it was because Sarah is a woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

dulpit wrote: »

You really need to look at Ray Darcy's thread and tell me if you think he is given the benefit of the doubt more than Sarah.

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    You really need to look at Ray Darcy's thread and tell me if you think he is given the benefit of the doubt more than Sarah.

I'm not sure that the Ray D'arcy thread is a valid comparison given that of late it consists solely of disgruntled listeners dropping in to give out about him.

His show is a magazine type show anyway.

elperello wrote: »
    I'm not sure that the Ray D'arcy thread is a valid comparison given that of late it consists solely of disgruntled listeners dropping in to give out about him.

His show is a magazine type show anyway.

It has consisted of that for many years. He is very unpopular on Boards (and in real life also I suspect) luckily for him, his timeslot on Radio 1 could consist of a wailing cat and would still get hundreds of thousands of listeners. Sarah McInerney is a far better presenter and will be given due credit by the vast majority of posters here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 leoXX

The current structure of the RTE Radio 1 daytime schedule has been in place since 1999, perhaps they should use this as an opportunity to freshen up the structure of the schedule? Let's say if they moved Ray Darcy to a two hour show from 9am till 11, like his old today Fm show and then the Today show would follow from 11 until 1pm, Tubs could move to an afternoon slot and Mooney goes wild could return to Friday afternoons. Ronan Collins could be moved to an new late night music show sandwiched between creedon and late date.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

leoXX wrote: »
    The current structure of the RTE Radio 1 daytime schedule has been in place since 1999, perhaps they should use this as an opportunity to freshen up the structure of the schedule? Let's say if they moved Ray Darcy to a two hour show from 9am till 11, like his old today Fm show and then the Today show would follow from 11 until 1pm, Tubs could move to an afternoon slot and Mooney goes wild could return to Friday afternoons. Ronan Collins could be moved to an new late night music show sandwiched between creedon and late date.

Move Collins from 0230 to 0330.

Move Collins from 0230 to 0330.

Let's keep that for D'Arcy and cut it by half an hour...at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thoker

I think she's a communist and more to the point irritating she treats the listener's as morons too uneducated to understand her

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

thoker wrote: »
    I think she's a communist and more to the point irritating she treats the listener's as morons too uneducated to understand her
    She certainly knows how to tow the line of the Montrose Soviet. The mid morning slot has died since SOR retired. I listen, because i drive for a living, and there isnt much choice of talk radio. A friend of mine got an Internet radio for his office and has the full choice of UK stations in perfect reception.
    I definitley think, that when listening to the internet in your car/van/truck becomes much easier and less akward to arrange, then the days of the likes of RTE broadcasting the drivel that they regularly do, will be finished. People simply wont listen

She certainly knows how to tow the line of the Montrose Soviet. The mid morning slot has died since SOR retired. I listen, because i drive for a living, and there isnt much choice of talk radio. A friend of mine got an Internet radio for his office and has the full choice of UK stations in perfect reception.
    I definitley think, that when listening to the internet in your car/van/truck becomes much easier and less akward to arrange, then the days of the likes of RTE broadcasting the drivel that they regularly do, will be finished. People simply wont listen

I find most of the UK stations even the regional BBC ones quite bland and at times dull.

When travelling over there I'm glad to get through the A55 tunnels on the way back to pick up Irish stations.

If internet reception in car/van/truck became the norm I expect RTE would pick up a lot of listeners too.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »

If internet reception in car/van/truck became the norm I expect RTE would pick up a lot of listeners too.

I doubt it very much.

We will have to wait to find out who is right :)

Hopefully not too long.

I'm basing my hunch on the large population abroad with Irish roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Cole wrote: »
    Let's keep that for D'Arcy and cut it by half an hour...at least.

Get rid of Arcy and replace with the speaking clock, it would be far more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Interesting article in today's Indo.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/a-shoo-in-claire-byrne-described-as-frontrunner-to-replace-sean-orourke-on-today-programme-39362212.html

I thought that she was the "permanent" holder? Overall I think that she has acquitted herself well, since she got the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Really dunno why Sarah will not keep the job - she is doing a good job. But Ivan Yates is definitely not gonna get the job - that would be too risqué for RTE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 leoXX

Mav11 wrote: »
    Interesting article in today's Indo.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/a-shoo-in-claire-byrne-described-as-frontrunner-to-replace-sean-orourke-on-today-programme-39362212.html

I thought that she was the "permanent" holder? Overall I think that she has acquitted herself well, since she got the gig.

I thought everyone knew Sarah Mc was only the temporary summer fill in host

• Registered Users Posts: 15,376 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Car crash interview with that aul wagon Mary Kenny (Irish indo Hack) on the show at the moment

Well past her sell by date - distracted and age related confusion?

She is whinging and whining about being asked to quarantine coming back to Ireland for “the Percy French festival” whatever that is - she shrilly said it seems cead mile failte is cancelled

As usual form with this wan she wants an exception made for herself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Get rid of Arcy and replace with the speaking clock, it would be far more interesting.

Might also get to nuacht on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

leoXX wrote: »
    I thought everyone knew Sarah Mc was only the temporary summer fill in host

I didn't, but I would think that she has to be in there with a good chance. She has done very well over the past few months. A bit tetchy at times, but only when needed to stop a politician waffling on!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,376 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Not surprising Sarah just said the text machine is almost broken with the amount of texts in reaction to Mary Kenny’s interview.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement