Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Sean O Rourke has his Maria Bailey moment
    Sarah now has her moment - Mary Kenny - car crash radio is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,376 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Infoanon wrote: »
    Sean O Rourke has his Maria Bailey moment
    Sarah now has her moment - Mary Kenny - car crash radio is an understatement.

The arrogance and general ignorance shown by Kenny was unreal

When Sarah had to point out there has been a huge lockdown in Italy ...😳

This Percy French festival does not sound in any way essential as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Car crash interview with that aul wagon Mary Kenny (Irish indo Hack) on the show at the moment

Well past her sell by date - distracted and age related confusion?

She is whinging and whining about being asked to quarantine coming back to Ireland - she shrilly said it seems cead mile failte is cancelled

As usual form with this wan she wants an exception made for herself

I don't really like the fact that the show began today with a writer who doesn't agree with our quarentine rules. I just find very tabloid newspaper or online click bait, hoping to outrage people to get listeners to text in. There was a lot of important news to talk about today, mandatory masks on transport, quarentine rules in general, Barry Cowan, Jack Charlton and they started with that. I just thought this show should be above that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Klonker wrote: »
    I don't really like the fact that the show began today with a writer who doesn't agree with our quarentine rules. I just find very tabloid newspaper or online click bait, hoping to outrage people to get listeners to text in. There was a lot of important news to talk about today, mandatory masks on transport, quarentine rules in general, Barry Cowan, Jack Charlton and they started with that. I just thought this show should be above that kind of stuff.

Is it any different to SOR starting the show with Maria Bailey ? , the Mary Kenny interview was radio Gold and the producers knew exactly what they where doing by starting the show with it. Tabloid implies it was tacky - it wasn't

The fallout will probably see the festival being cancelled and/or Mary Kenny being uninvited

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Klonker wrote: »

No more Jack Charlton please, I'm all Charltoned out after the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Infoanon wrote: »
    Is it any different to SOR starting the show with Maria Bailey ? , the Mary Kenny interview was radio Gold and the producers knew exactly what they where doing by starting the show with it. Tabloid implies it was tacky - it wasn't

The fallout will probably see the festival being cancelled and/or Mary Kenny being uninvited

I would argue it is different to the Maria Bailey incident. That was a huge news story for days before her interview with Sean. This was about a few tweets on Twitter, nearly everyone wouldn't have heard about it before her interview this morning. Anyway that's just my personal opinion on it, obviously you and lots of others feel differently on it.

Sarah saying Mary Kenny has prompted “an awful lot of anger” from the listeners

And the Percy French festival has said Mary Kenny cannot now travel to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Victory for the unwashed!

Breaking News!... Ar ya right there Mary are ya right.. Percy French festival drops Mary Kenny

Mary Kenny has been “cancelled”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,947 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Listened to Mary Kenny and what an arrogant T#€&op she is. Have to say Sarah was excellent in handling Kenny pompous arrogance

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Listened to Mary Kenny and what an arrogant T#€&op she is. Have to say Sarah was excellent in handling Kenny pompous arrogance

She was unreal, real car crash radio stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Mav11 wrote: »
    Interesting article in today's Indo.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/a-shoo-in-claire-byrne-described-as-frontrunner-to-replace-sean-orourke-on-today-programme-39362212.html

I thought that she was the "permanent" holder? Overall I think that she has acquitted herself well, since she got the gig.

I only know Claire Byrne from her TV show and I'm not a fan.

I can't think of any reason to not give the job to Sarah. She hit the ground running and something something Junior B hurling something something :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I can't think of any reason to not give the job to Sarah.

RTÉ strikes me as a place where you need to serve your time before you get the promotions, so maybe it's that?

Mav11 wrote: »
    Interesting article in today's Indo.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/a-shoo-in-claire-byrne-described-as-frontrunner-to-replace-sean-orourke-on-today-programme-39362212.html

I thought that she was the "permanent" holder? Overall I think that she has acquitted herself well, since she got the gig.
    It's interesting that Miriam O'Callaghan is no longer considered a likely contender. There was a time, a few years ago, when O'Callaghan was tipped for every job from the LLS to the Presidency. It appears she's going to stay on Prime Time for their long haul, presumably she's its longest-running presenter.

It's very possibly her own choice. But broadcasters do come in and out of fashion, and it looks to an outsider as if Claire Byrne's star is on the ascent, and O'Callaghan's, well, stationary anyway.

Personally I'd rather Sarah McInerney get it, but the inference in the article is that she'll join O'Callaghan on Prime Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Personally I'd rather Sarah McInerney get it, but the inference in the article is that she'll join O'Callaghan on Prime Time.

That was my reading of it too.

I assume if Claire Byrne get the gig she'd be off her own TV show?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd be delighted to see Sarah get the full-time job, I think she's been great so far.

Her interview with Mary Kenny this morning was brilliant - she gave her exactly enough rope to completely hang herself without coming across as bullying or hectoring. MK came out of that looking a complete fool IMO (although I somehow suspect she would beg to differ, her levels of self-awareness being near to zero, it would appear!)

Claire Byrne would be a good pick as well, though - I think she's great on the 1o'c news, her telly show seems to have gone to pot lately (although I don't really watch it any more for that very reason), so maybe a move to a radio current affairs/magazine mix would be a better fit for her.

But who knows what RTE will decide (or how)..... David McCullagh to the Six O'Clock news is just bizarre!

dulpit wrote: »
    That was my reading of it too.

I assume if Claire Byrne get the gig she'd be off her own TV show?

Well she already has Claire Byrne Live, not sure if she'd want a Saturday night entertainment show, she has very young kids.

I'm not saying that in a sexist way, that's the exact reason Pat Kenny had to throw it in, it's a lot of time away from your family.

There's one other person I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned, and that's Audrey Carville. She can handle light topics and the more serious stuff with ease. And is one of the few broadcasters (along with Claire Byrne) with experience in various different stations including foreign media.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Stewball

Claire Byrne isn't a good enough interviewer for the Today show. Her Monday night show is enough to listen to her fawning over ministers.

The Today show needs someone who takes them to task. Sarah has, can and will do that. I'm listening to the show full time now since O'Rourke left.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Well she already has Claire Byrne Live, not sure if she'd want a Saturday night entertainment show, she has very young kids.

I'm not saying that in a sexist way, that's the exact reason Pat Kenny had to throw it in, it's a lot of time away from your family.

There's one other person I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned, and that's Audrey Carville. She can handle light topics and the more serious stuff with ease. And is one of the few broadcasters (along with Claire Byrne) with experience in various different stations including foreign media.

Brendan Bendar

Adverts | Friends
    Audrey Carville easily the best for the perma gig.

Hmmmm

• Advertisement

Brendan Bendar

Adverts | Friends
    Audrey Carville easily the best for the perma gig.

Hmmmm

I knew Audrey Carville had been on your mind for some time, Brendan. But the bookies have her bringing up the rear, cannot understand why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Audrey is wasted on MI - she definitely deserves to be on a programme with more interrogative interviewing. I love the way she probes an item.

I still think that the 10am to 12pm slot should have a range of presenters - Sarah, Audrey and …
    Audrey deserves to be rewarded for the early morning work along with her great interviewing skills.

robo wrote: »
    Audrey is wasted on MI - she definitely deserves to be on a programme with more interrogative interviewing. I love the way she probes an item.

I still think that the 10am to 12pm slot should have a range of presenters - Sarah, Audrey and …
    Audrey deserves to be rewarded for the early morning work along with her great interviewing skills.

1 presenter is plenty for a 2 hour slot. They need to be slimming down on the presenters front in that organisation not adding more to the payroll

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

1 presenter is plenty for a 2 hour slot. They need to be slimming down on the presenters front in that organisation not adding more to the payroll

What I meant is a mix of presenters but one per show. So rather than the "Today with X", have a show title with no ones name.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

What I meant is a mix of presenters but one per show. So rather than the "Today with X", have a show title with no ones name.

Ah please no, I don't want to be tuning in each day deciding whether I want to listen to it or not depending on what presenter is going to be on.

We would still end up paying for more than 1 presenter imo. No, stick with the best person for the job for the 5 days no need to dilute the listenership by adding other presenters into the mix

• Registered Users Posts: 14,492 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd be open to trying that format.

It's the quality that counts not who is delivering it.

Sarah saying Mary Kenny has prompted “an awful lot of anger” from the listeners

And the Percy French festival has said Mary Kenny cannot now travel to it

Just listened back to the interview.

I was surprised Sarah McInerney didn't ask the obvious question, why is a festival going ahead now anyway?

Maybe it's a small affair, I'm not picturing throngs of crowds, somehow. Maybe just four old writers gathering around a cream bun in a Roscommon cafe, bickering about the history of the West Clare railway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,492 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just listened back to the interview.

I was surprised Sarah McInerney didn't ask the obvious question, why is a festival going ahead now anyway?

Maybe it's a small affair, I'm not picturing throngs of crowds, somehow. Maybe just four old writers gathering around a cream bun in a Roscommon cafe, bickering about the history of the West Clare railway.

Apparently the organisers have arranged a large open sided marquee and limited attendance to 100 with social distancing and hygiene facilities etc. provided.

If they get lucky with the weather it could be the way to go, if not they will be blown out of it.

Fair play for trying anyway.

By the way there was more to Percy than the West Clare Railway. He was an engineer by profession and a very accomplished water colour artist as well a song writer. He travelled widely with his one man show performing his songs.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »

By the way there was more to Percy than the West Clare Railway. He was an engineer by profession and a very accomplished water colour artist as well a song writer. He travelled widely with his one man show performing his songs.
    Ah yeah, didn't mean to insult French, it's just I heard Mary Kenny, Kevin Myers and Patricia Casey were on the lineup... hard pass (but each to their own of course)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement