Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Banks shouldn't lend recklessly but should throw money at those who's employment & finances are up in the air at the moment. The weird & whacky thinking of the shinners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Some beauts being interviewed at Dublin airport this morning. A few groups on their way to Amsterdam for 2 or 3 day trips for sightseeing....will quarantine for 2 weeks when they come home.
    It's a great little country!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Out of work for 4 months and now off to Amsterdam for three days to get high and experience the "nightlife".

There's €350 a week of taxpayers money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

heard that "athlete" (Whacker) off to the 'dam this morning priceless, I wunder does he get a grant from sports Ireland for his training trips

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

touts wrote: »
    Out of work for 4 months and now off to Amsterdam for three days to get high and experience the "nightlife".

There's €350 a week of taxpayers money well spent.

Regardless of whether or not you should be travelling abroad right now (you absolutely shouldn't) - are you suggesting that people who earn money from the taxpayer (civil servants, public servants, social welfare, etc) should have conditions attached that decide what they can and can't spend it on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Orwellmerchant

A friend that was a convicted criminal?

What a great wannabe leader. I hope he quarantines when he enters his own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

jay0109 wrote: »
    Some beauts being interviewed at Dublin airport this morning. A few groups on their way to Amsterdam for 2 or 3 day trips for sightseeing....will quarantine for 2 weeks when they come home.
    It's a great little country!
    What's worse is giving these arseholes airtime. These are the kind of self-absorbed narcissists who will document every minute of their trip on Instagram for a bit of adoration from the distracted multitude. The equivalent of patting a dog on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Peter from Gort

I don't get boards posters who are against people traveling to mainland Europe. There's as much chance of spreading coronavirus around by traveling from Dublin to Connemara than there is of traveling from Dublin to Amsterdam but staycation is being encouraged 🀔 I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I don't get boards posters who are against people traveling to mainland Europe. There's as much chance of spreading coronavirus around by traveling from Dublin to Connemara than there is of traveling from Dublin to Amsterdam but staycation is being encouraged �� I'm confused.

There isn't really.

The number of possible 1st degree, 2nd degree contacts you may have is much greater the further you travel.

Not to mind, the airplane scenario of a couple of hours in close contact with many people greatly increases the risk of picking up the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Peter from Gort

There was a lot of hysteria in local media back at Easter at dirty Dubliners coming down to the west at Easter weekend spreading the coronavirus, similar to European travel hysteria at the moment. My attitude is sure we can't hide under our beds from this virus forever. It'll still be here this day next year.

• Advertisement

There was a lot of hysteria in local media back at Easter at dirty Dubliners coming down to the west at Easter weekend spreading the coronavirus, similar to European travel hysteria at the moment. My attitude is sure we can't hide under our beds from this virus forever. It'll still be here this day next year.

Maybe, but hopefully so too will many people who might not be if they contract the disease.

Nobody lives forever, but to lose a loved friend/partner/family member would be all the more difficult if the reason they are gone is because someone was desperate for a trip away just to relax.

Watch the RTÉ Investigates episodes from Monday & Tuesday and you might change your mind.

Yes it will be around, but we have to be careful and realistic in how we live until the virus can either be gotten rid of, cured or disappears. You have to ask - is going on holiday to a foreign country that important? No...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

neris wrote: »
    Banks shouldn't lend recklessly but should throw money at those who's employment & finances are up in the air at the moment. The weird & whacky thinking of the shinners

It's not really the lending they have an issue with, but they feel it's unreasonable that the banks want the money back.

It's not that wacky when you consider their end goal is that mortgages won't exist. During the last government there were numerous schemes and proposals from the assorted left, which would have made it pretty much impossible to operate a mortgage market in Ireland. When the inevitable interest rate rises and lenders leaving the market were brought up, it was either shrugged off or welcomed since they feel the state should be providing everyone their houses for free anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Trips to Amsterdam are extremely popular I'm hearing for this summer. It's funny that they interviewed people going there. All that saved money going to be spent on weed/hash etc in the Dutch capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Don’t let any of those Brazilians back Peter, cocoon them in the Greg.

Well, I think Sarah McInerney is doing a good job, FWIW. Anyone following Sean was going to have a tough act to follow, but I think she’s carving out her own style, rather than try to copy Sean. And that’s a good thing.

She’s tenacious, smart, and well informed. I’ve heard a few attempts by people trying, frankly, to bully her, but she has none of that - quite rightly, of course! I read her column in the ST and it was clear she’s intelligent, and that’s come through on the show.

So far, so good.

Let’s hope RTÉ doesn’t mess up the appointment of a permanent replacement for Sean.

I agree. It feels like it's her show now, not just a summer replacement gig. Hopefully they keep with her going forward, I guess they wouldn't be announcing until August time though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

She is no doubt well able but her monotone voice would put you to sleep, whereas Sean O'Rourke would draw you into listening because you felt he was engaged so much in whatever debate he was having.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    She is no doubt well able but her monotone voice would put you to sleep, whereas Sean O'Rourke would draw you into listening because you felt he was engaged so much in whatever debate he was having.

You need to get your hearing checked out - she has the sexiest voice on radio. :D

Del.Monte wrote: »
    You need to get your hearing checked out - she has the sexiest voice on radio. :D

Not unless Aedín Gormley got fired overnight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Sarah Mcinerney is typical of the young breed of broadcasters nowadays . They seem to fail to understand the concept of impartiality when conducting a debate. Her so called interrogations of people are akin to a whinging teenager, annoyed that the world is just not fair . Her interview with Brian Hayes, the other day was typical , attacking and having a go at him because the banks are not willing to extend mortgage loans to people whose financial circumstances have materially changed since they applied for their loan . Whilst i feel for people in these situations, i think most people would agree, that there is no guarantee , that these peoples incomes will return to their former levels . All sarah was short off, was asking for people to be granted loan approval, irregardlesss of income .
    It wouldnt have been like that in Sean O'Rourkes day

Sarah Mcinerney is typical of the young breed of broadcasters nowadays . They seem to fail to understand the concept of impartiality when conducting a debate. Her so called interrogations of people are akin to a whinging teenager, annoyed that the world is just not fair . Her interview with Brian Hayes, the other day was typical , attacking and having a go at him because the banks are not willing to extend mortgage loans to people whose financial circumstances have materially changed since they applied for their loan . Whilst i feel for people in these situations, i think most people would agree, that there is no guarantee , that these peoples incomes will return to their former levels . All sarah was short off, was asking for people to be granted loan approval, irregardlesss of income .
    It wouldnt have been like that in Sean O'Rourkes day

Sarah’s stock in trade is to concentrate in.

1. Numbers

2. Time

Her m.o.is to hammer interviewees with “how many” and “when”

Particularly difficult when dealing with the school start up, when so many bits and pieces are still not sorted out.

Like teachers unions, school sizes, virus activity, public reaction and disease numbers, money availability, and numerous other issues.

She seems to expect hard numbers and timelines to be ‘copper fastened’ while numerous issues are still up in the air and conflict is still unresolved.

Be like asking her how many dropouts of contact will RTÉ experience in the next month an when will you have this problem totally eradicated.

I’d say you’d get a glum face, doubt if she could answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

1. Numbers

2. Time

Particularly difficult when dealing with the school start up, when so many bits and pieces are still not sorted out.

Like teachers unions, school sizes, virus activity, public reaction and disease numbers, money availability, and numerous other issues.

She seems to expect hard numbers and timelines to be ‘copper fastened’ while numerous issues are still up in the air and conflict is still unresolved.

Be like asking her how many dropouts of contact will RTÉ experience in the next month an when will you have this problem totally eradicated.

Totally agree with this.

It’s the school of journalism that is more concerned with “not being afraid to ask tough questions” rather than focusing on eliciting interesting answers.

The listener wants to hear the guest, not the presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

Wildsurfer wrote: »

Not just the monotone but her voice takes on a rasping gravelly quality in the lower register.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

1. Numbers

2. Time

Lots of this today.

1. Numbers

2. Time

To be fair, if the person she was interviewing simply said "I don't know", then they could move on. But instead there is so much waffle and "Let me talk about this first before addressing your question.." type answers that it gets tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

dulpit wrote: »
    there is so much waffle and "Let me talk about this first before addressing your question.."
    Talking points should be cut off as soon as it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Del.Monte wrote: »

No offence but she "sounds" too young - like a college radio station presenter

dulpit wrote: »
    To be fair, if the person she was interviewing simply said "I don't know", then they could move on. But instead there is so much waffle and "Let me talk about this first before addressing your question.." type answers that it gets tiresome.

Agreed dulpit, you have a point there, but, I feel she over eggs the time and numbers stuff.

It’s not that vital that this is known, she had a medic on this morning talking about the stuff which was delayed by the C-19 pandemic, and she hammered him with numbers and times.

She has to learn that these things are sometimes not known given the volatility of this Covit, we get another surge, perfectly possible ,so the whole thing is up in a heap.

Stuff has to be worked out in schools, there is a myriad of stuff which has to be set up, it takes time, there are several different ‘interests’
    Pupils,parents, teachers, Transport, crèches, Sna’s,childminders, cleaners, caretakers,unions,

All these have to consulted .... agreed with, arranged.

Sarah.....you just can’t spit out numbers and times, every situation,.so lay off and stop trying to make a name for yourself at this game.

You are better than that.

• Advertisement

I listened to her today talking about music to accompany your drive to your staycation. It made me consider the enormous variation in the topics that face her (and faced Sean O’Rourke, too, of course). One minute you’re filleting a politician, who is a master in ducking and diving, the next you’re on a fluffy piece about music.

She was appropriately animated, enjoying the interaction, and (quite important from my point of view) could have a good laugh. That, to me, shows she’s a rounded human being. Sure, she will improve as she gains more experience, but she’s fine now from where I sit.

From my (no doubt, jaded) perspective, she’s part of the current generation of women who are comfortable in their own skin. Good for them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement