Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I listened to her today talking about music to accompany your drive to your staycation. It made me consider the enormous variation in the topics that face her (and faced Sean O’Rourke, too, of course). One minute you’re filleting a politician, who is a master in ducking and diving, the next you’re on a fluffy piece about music.

She was appropriately animated, enjoying the interaction, and (quite important from my point of view) could have a good laugh. That, to me, shows she’s a rounded human being. Sure, she will improve as she gains more experience, but she’s fine now from where I sit.

From my (no doubt, jaded) perspective, she’s part of the current generation of women who are comfortable in their own skin. Good for them

Plenty of those around, no big deal, let’s not exalt her into a semi-deity folks.

If memory serves me correctly this is about the third time you have shilled her big time

Ok you like her, you think she’s good, leave it at that.

Let’s all make up our own minds.

Plenty of those around, no big deal, let’s not exalt her into a semi-deity folks.

If memory serves me correctly this is about the third time you have shilled her big time

Ok you like her, you think she’s good, leave it at that.

Let’s all make up our own minds.

Fair enough. I’m not on a crusade.

Are you?

Fair enough. I’m not on a crusade.

Are you?

For what, a chara.

For what, a chara.

Go figure

Go figure

6920?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

I like her presenting style.

PacMan wrote: »
    I like her presenting style.

Excellent...... that’s great.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

dulpit wrote: »
    To be fair, if the person she was interviewing simply said "I don't know", then they could move on. But instead there is so much waffle and "Let me talk about this first before addressing your question.." type answers that it gets tiresome.

I don’t think that’s true. The interview with Simon Coveney last week was a case in point. When he said “I can’t predict the future” regarding the government finances, she repeatedly demanded details of the govt plan B and plan C depending on different financial permutations. It was her who wouldn’t move on from an answered question and it doesn’t make great radio

She has a habit of then giving a condescending remark along the lines of “OK, so you just don’t know” before moving on to the next question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Agreed dulpit, you have a point there, but, I feel she over eggs the time and numbers stuff.

It’s not that vital that this is known, she had a medic on this morning talking about the stuff which was delayed by the C-19 pandemic, and she hammered him with numbers and times.

She has to learn that these things are sometimes not known given the volatility of this Covit, we get another surge, perfectly possible ,so the whole thing is up in a heap.

Stuff has to be worked out in schools, there is a myriad of stuff which has to be set up, it takes time, there are several different ‘interests’
    Pupils,parents, teachers, Transport, crèches, Sna’s,childminders, cleaners, caretakers,unions,

All these have to consulted .... agreed with, arranged.

Sarah.....you just can’t spit out numbers and times, every situation,.so lay off and stop trying to make a name for yourself at this game.

You are better than that.

Ah Brenner,

"the stuff"?

You mean the screening programs? If you are not a person on the list to receive a screening, then you probably cgaf. If you had a letter or call, back in early January or February to say your appointment is March-July, then you want to know what's going on, and when will my next appointment be. She pretty much got all that info in a measured approach.

Apart from the lack of coverage of the diabetic retinopathy screening...

9/10

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    Ah Brenner,

"the stuff"?

You mean the screening programs? If you are not a person on the list to receive a screening, then you probably cgaf. If you had a letter or call, back in early January or February to say your appointment is March-July, then you want to know what's going on, and when will my next appointment be. She pretty much got all that info in a measured approach.

Apart from the lack of coverage of the diabetic retinopathy screening...

9/10

Yes she did, because the doctor gave them to her..

I was only half listening in the slab.Wolf

• Advertisement

Sarah couldn’t lay a glove on Eamon Ryan this morning.

Never had too much time for him, but he rose in my estimation after Sarah was well batted away.

He was nice and concise and showed how to handle a difficult interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Sarah couldn’t lay a glove on Eamon Ryan this morning.

Never had too much time for him, but he rose in my estimation after Sarah was well batted away.

He was nice and concise and showed how to handle a difficult interview.

I thought Eamon had a bad interview - Sarah didn't need to 'lay a glove ' on him once he started with quarantine is working, tied himself in a knot on holiday refunds - no facts and incorrect statements and then left the impression that there should be a different rule for politicians when it comes to doing overseas business.

I personally like Eamon,he is a very good speaker and normally very decisive but imho this was not a great performance

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got to agree.

I thought Ryan didn't do well.

I was never a fan of him, but I thought he bumbled his way through some of his answers.

The fact that the tourist industry watchdog had to text in to tell him he was wrong was embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Overall I like Sarah, but she's lost a bit of credibility for me with her inconsistent 'combative/tough' interviewer schtick...e.g the awful Clare Daly interview a few weeks ago.

But wherever you stand, just be grateful that we're not listening to Miriam...yet.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Got to agree.

I thought Ryan didn't do well.

I was never a fan of him, but I thought he bumbled his way through some of his answers.

The fact that the tourist industry watchdog had to text in to tell him he was wrong was embarrassing.

Don’t agree, we will have to leave it there,I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I would usually listen to the Pat Kenny show but decided to switch over to RTE a while ago as Jonathan Healy is filling in for Pat and well, no more needs to be said.

Heard the end of an interview and then she decided to play a Garth Brooks song for some reason. Turned off radio and went to Spotify and will do the same until Kenny is back I think.

BPKS wrote: »
    Heard the end of an interview and then she decided to play a Garth Brooks song for some reason. Turned off radio and went to Spotify and will do the same until Kenny is back I think.

That feature on the programme 'summer holiday memories (?)' Does not work in my view and needs to be dropped. The choice of song (Baton Rogue) was also odd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

I would usually listen to the Pat Kenny show but decided to switch over to RTE a while ago as Jonathan Healy is filling in for Pat and well, no more needs to be said.

Bang of Transition Year radio presenter off her

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Ah here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

She's an experienced print journalist who has also worked for several years in radio and also TV.
    If that is similar to a TY student in your book then the only thing I can assume is that you went to a pretty impressive school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

All these questions she asks, the way she asks them and wont back down and if she doesnt get the answer she wants ..then ends with an "oh right".
    it's a bit over the top and as someone above said doing it to create a tough name for herself...and to make the show her own.
    S O'R was never like that.

Leave that style of probe questioning to Morning Ireland.

It's a bit of a turn off for the listener.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I have been pleasantly surprised by Sarah. She can be a bit intense and dogmatic in her questioning but, overall, she is doing a good job IMO. As another poster alluded to, she is comfortable with the light entertainment stuff too, which shows she isn't just a one-trick pony. She's relatively new in the role, and I'm sure she will improve in time. When you compare her to some of her peers, notably Jonathan Healy covering for Pat on Newstalk at present, it makes you realise she's not all bad. Granted, Jonathan Healy is a low standard with which to compare.

Well, I think Sarah McInerney is doing a good job, FWIW. Anyone following Sean was going to have a tough act to follow, but I think she’s carving out her own style, rather than try to copy Sean. And that’s a good thing.

She’s tenacious, smart, and well informed. I’ve heard a few attempts by people trying, frankly, to bully her, but she has none of that - quite rightly, of course! I read her column in the ST and it was clear she’s intelligent, and that’s come through on the show.

So far, so good.

Let’s hope RTÉ doesn’t mess up the appointment of a permanent replacement for Sean.
    She's excellent.

But it's RTE. You just know they'll make a hames of it by giving it to Damien O'Reilly or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

She's excellent.

But it's RTE. You just know they'll make a hames of it by giving it to Damien O'Reilly or something.

What about giving Derek Mooney or Des Cahill the gig? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Even though it's Healy in for Pat, I'm still hanging in there (between 9-10)...but it's tough going. At least I can switch over to Sarah at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I really dont think Noel Clancy should be asked to re tell this story every time RTE want a sound bite. He's been on many times at this stage. It was a desperately sad accident and ruined many lives including the young girl he named who was involved and her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

Sarah Mc is excellent so far, hope she gets the gig permanently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    I really dont think Noel Clancy should be asked to re tell this story every time RTE want a sound bite. He's been on many times at this stage. It was a desperately sad accident and ruined many lives including the young girl he named who was involved and her family.

Completely agreed. While his story is so sad and tragic, what purpose is he serving just piling it on again and again?

One would have to wonder if he'd be better off just trying to move forward and purging some of the anger he obviously feels years after his tragedy rather than revisiting it on the airwaves every time someone newsworthy commits a driving offence.

Comhra wrote: »
    Completely agreed. While his story is so sad and tragic, what purpose is he serving just piling it on again and again?

One would have to wonder if he'd be better off just trying to move forward and purging some of the anger he obviously feels years after his tragedy rather than revisiting it on the airwaves every time someone newsworthy commits a driving offence.

Possibly it was to give context to his invitation to Barry Cowen to come and see the accident site so that he couldunderstand the potential consequences of his actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Infoanon wrote: »
    Possibly it was to give context to his invitation to Barry Cowen to come and see the accident site so that he couldunderstand the potential consequences of his actions.

Does anyone listening to his interview honestly believe Barry Cowen is going visit that accident site? What purpose would it serve?

A photo of him at the accident site alongside the unfortunate Noel Clancy, for the tabloids? Not condoning Cowen for one moment, but that's hardly a dignified scenario in the circumstances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement