Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Actually I've just looked again at that link, and Claire Byrne is on it. So 3/10 top 10 earners but an awful lot of C-listers

D'ya knot no hooo eye am?

https://www.nkmanagement.ie/joe-duffy---profile.html

Anyone hear Royanne speaking to Sarah on behalf of "young people" and what language & which platforms should be used when communicating with them in relation to Covid. I cringed when she said that young people just don't understand the language used, and that she herself had to ask her mammy what two kilometres is. Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Anyone hear Royanne speaking to Sarah on behalf of "young people" and what language & which platforms should be used when communicating with them in relation to Covid. I cringed when she said that young people just don't understand the language used, and that she herself had to ask her mammy what two kilometres is. Ffs.

You would wonder where we are heading when you think this girl was one of the more articulate and educated ones. Thankfully I don't think I'll be around to see the results

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

None of my "young people" had any trouble understanding of any of it. It was explained to them in plain English.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Mav11 wrote: »
    Interesting article in today's Indo.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/a-shoo-in-claire-byrne-described-as-frontrunner-to-replace-sean-orourke-on-today-programme-39362212.html

I thought that she was the "permanent" holder? Overall I think that she has acquitted herself well, since she got the gig.
    https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1282555489205747712

Time will tell what actually happens but if Clare gets the role and it isn't very successful, there will be a fair amount of uproar at Sarah having been pushed to the side.
    It happened her with Ivan coming back to NT, and possibly now again.

Hard to know the motivation of putting it in paper yesterday, maybe to temper Sarah negotiations for long term role, maybe to test water as to how people respond.

The 'RTE insider' is probably Claire Byrne herself. Article would be arranged by Noel Kelly's crew. Indo more than happy to print it in exchange for a few colour spreads in the Indo Weekend or Sindo sometime in the future. Noel then gets a few bob more, as Claire will pull a higher wage.

I rarely listen to Claire Byrne, she had a tendency for a long time to read out prepared questions and was very poor in delving deeper into a subject if it turned interesting. I fell, for example, if she had interviewed Maria Bailey, it would never have had the same result as SOR's interview.

I've watched her TV programme a few times, it has improved a bit, in that she seems to be more engaged, but it's more of a magazine format now, where she tries to get too much in. Her co-presenting from her shed was ridiculous, but I guess she wouldn't have been paid if she didn't do it.

But you can't ignore Sarah McInerney, she has been very strong and for that reason, she should be given a 2-3 year contract to do the show. Calling Claire Byrne a 'shoo-in' after McInerney's performances over the past 2 months is laughable, she has proven to be as good (better IMO) than Claire Byrne.

Also, I think Miriam O'Callaghan doesn't want the job as she's got an eye on the Aras, but will play it cautiously until the time is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

sligojoek wrote: »
    None of my "young people" had any trouble understanding of any of it. It was explained to them in plain English.

I always find this kind of "advocacy" bizarre. On the one hand they claim they're underestimated and talented, but with no sense of contradiction demand treatment normally reserved for those who need extra support. Their argument is effectively "You're not listening to young people, or giving them the respect they deserve...but you've to dumb down what you're saying because they need it spoon fed to them before they'll understand and take it seriously".

It's similar to advocacy for old people; "Older people are as capable as anyone, in fact usually more so due to experience. But it's unfair to ask them to use a computer or mobile phone because they're just incapable of learning ."

If anything they are doing a disservice to those they claim to represent by generalising that they all need exceptions and support just to get normal tasks done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of coins do the ‘auld soldier’ act in fairness.

Can’t understand a few simple instructions on a govt website telling them what the regulations are.

But able to book a series of flights with multi sector legs and open jaw journeys with perfect ease.

Well able to work the intricacies and nuances of the Social Welfare site though.

The ‘auld soldier ‘ act is well practiced , no doubt about that lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Stewball

Lot of coins do the ‘auld soldier’ act in fairness.

Can’t understand a few simple instructions on a govt website telling them what the regulations are.

But able to book a series of flights with multi sector legs and open jaw journeys with perfect ease.

Well able to work the intricacies and nuances of the Social Welfare site though.

The ‘auld soldier ‘ act is well practiced , no doubt about that lads.

Christ, you're miserable.

Stewball wrote: »
    Christ, you're miserable.

Miserable!

How am I miserable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Banned

• Advertisement

snip

Hmmmm .... I didn’t see that in my posting, thought I was fair enough.

Have you anything specific I could address, my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Hmmmm .... I didn’t see that in my posting, thought I was fair enough.

Have you anything specific I could address, my friend.

not dude? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭hamburgham

KevRossi wrote: »
    The 'RTE insider' is probably Claire Byrne herself. Article would be arranged by Noel Kelly's crew. Indo more than happy to print it in exchange for a few colour spreads in the Indo Weekend or Sindo sometime in the future. Noel then gets a few bob more, as Claire will pull a higher wage.

I rarely listen to Claire Byrne, she had a tendency for a long time to read out prepared questions and was very poor in delving deeper into a subject if it turned interesting. I fell, for example, if she had interviewed Maria Bailey, it would never have had the same result as SOR's interview.

I've watched her TV programme a few times, it has improved a bit, in that she seems to be more engaged, but it's more of a magazine format now, where she tries to get too much in. Her co-presenting from her shed was ridiculous, but I guess she wouldn't have been paid if she didn't do it.

But you can't ignore Sarah McInerney, she has been very strong and for that reason, she should be given a 2-3 year contract to do the show. Calling Claire Byrne a 'shoo-in' after McInerney's performances over the past 2 months is laughable, she has proven to be as good (better IMO) than Claire Byrne.

Also, I think Miriam O'Callaghan doesn't want the job as she's got an eye on the Aras, but will play it cautiously until the time is right.

Claire is a total lightweight.Mystery to me how she has got so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Listened back to the Mary Kenny interview. Its funny the way sometimes you have never heard a journo speak before but just by their writing you think they are a complete moaning whingebag. It was that way for me and she sounded exactly like I expected, a pontificating bore who sees herself as above everyone else.

Anyway Phoenix had another article on the Today show and whats been going on inside RTE. I'll summerise
    -There is bemusement in RTE that Sean o'Rourke was sidelined at 65. He could have just transferred from being a staffer to a contractor and the show would have went on, as Sean himself wanted. However Dee Forbes insisted he retire. This is now looking like a stupid decision because Sean O'Rourke is coming back as a contractor anyway- he is going to deliver both TV and radio programs from September. RTE heads are concerned at losing listenership to Pat Kenny and some feel that forcing O'Rourke to retire like they did has given Newstalk an opportunity.

Claire Byrne is almost guaranteed the Today show job and is expected to start it in September.

-Miriam o'Callaghan pulled out of the Today show race saying the job is not for her. Probably saving face before the big announcement of Claire Byrne

- Sarah McInerney now a contender to take David McCulloghs job on Prime Time. However she is up against Richard Downes who is seen as a solid pick too, he has vast experience having worked for the Press Association, Reuters, BBC and the Financial Times. McInerney has gender on her side though, RTE keen to get to 50/50 split across their broadcasters.

I think the point on Sean o'Rourke is pertinent. They had a good thing going but Dee Forbes flexed her muscles and made him 'retire'. They did the same to Mary Kennedy with Nationwide so Forbes wanted to be consistent with o'Rourke, even to the detriment of the shows. Its a bit daft when he is coming back as a contractor anyway. It sounds like he is going to be given little side shows on TV and radio but he would actually be the best pick for Prime Time. Sadly that wont be happening either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No please, not Claire Byrne no. I don't usually get so animated about media things, but Sarah Mc has a great voice for radio, she is well able for all the messers and can do the lighter stuff well too. SOR struggled with that aspect at the beginning of his tenure, but it was knocked out of him pretty quickly.

And it should be a three hour slot too, no offence to Ronan C but WTF is a golden oldies music slot doing on the flagship radio station.

Then again maybe Sarah Mc doesn't want the Today job. Who knows.

Anyway I listen to PK live, and listen back to Today show at night.

And she played my staycation song yesterday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

And she played my staycation song yesterday. :)

Echo Beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Muahahaha wrote: »

Anyway Phoenix had another article on the Today show and whats been going on inside RTE. I'll summerise
    -There is bemusement in RTE that Sean o'Rourke was sidelined at 65. He could have just transferred from being a staffer to a contractor and the show would have went on, as Sean himself wanted. However Dee Forbes insisted he retire. This is now looking like a stupid decision because Sean O'Rourke is coming back as a contractor anyway- he is going to deliver both TV and radio programs from September. RTE heads are concerned at losing listenership to Pat Kenny and some feel that forcing O'Rourke to retire like they did has given Newstalk an opportunity.

I have a problem taking this as 100% true .

I've felt Sean O' Rourke was a bit detached from the show with the long breaks he was taking as a staffer and would have thought that would increase as a contractor .

I wonder if Dee was trying to kill 2 birds with one stone - not having to deal with getting more alternative presenters for the show , therefore giving more opportunity to Newstalk , and putting Claire Byrne into a prime slot .

Also bear in mind that RTE got into trouble the last time someone from the Today show became a contractor after her mandatory retirement at 65. That was Valerie Cox.

As you can see from the below link, RTE is worried that a period of employment, divided only by a piece of paper which claims the status of the employee has changed, may be read as one continuous period of employment. This may disadvantage the organisation in terms of pension or employment rights.

At least I suspect so. I reckon they'd have happily kept Sean on, but were hamstrung by their own rules.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/rt%C3%A9-ordered-to-pay-50-000-to-former-employee-valerie-cox-1.3435712
    [RTE] said “a period of time would have to elapse between her retirement from her full-time position and being placed on the roster again in relation to this contract”.
    Ultimately, the above policy didn't even work for RTE. Cox won her case.

So you can see why they're cautious, nothing to do with Dee Forbes personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

This whole process of filling the position is totally wrong imo. Assuming both Sarah and Claire are in the running and both want the job, why would you give just one of them a 6 month trial and it still be a 50/50 who gets it?

Why not give the 2 front runners a 3 month stint each and see how they get on.
    More complete horse from Forbes. She's useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭KevRossi

And it should be a three hour slot too, no offence to Ronan C but WTF is a golden oldies music slot doing on the flagship radio station.

Then again maybe Sarah Mc doesn't want the Today job. Who knows.

I think the general principle of ca. 2 hours of news/current affairs, then 1 hour of light entertainment from 7.00-19.00 works well. I'm not sure if I'd want it all current affairs, especially with so much news on demand with Twitter, news websites etc.
    Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    This whole process of filling the position is totally wrong imo. Assuming both Sarah and Claire are in the running and both want the job, why would you give just one of them a 6 month trial and it still be a 50/50 who gets it?

I think everyone is a bit surprised at exactly how good Sarah McInerney is in the job. It would take some balls from Dee Forbes to change it from Claire Byrne, but that would be her job as manager, to do exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

How do ye know so much about the internal politics of RTE lads?

Echo Beach?

Yes indeed. Long long time ago

Arghus wrote: »
    How do ye know so much about the internal politics of RTE lads?
    I read Claire Byrne's horoscope in the RTE guide

That would make sense, each prove themselves on the job and see who is the more popular with the listeners on the job.

Ben Dunne talking a fierce amount of sense. Seems to be putting himself out of business.

"I'd rather go bust than be burying people who are using my business"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Ben Dunne talking a fierce amount of sense. Seems to be putting himself out of business.
    "I'd rather go bust than be burying people who are using my business"

We should all give up cocaine.

I don't think he's talking sense at all. He's having a good rant :pac: Not sure what the part about electric scooters was about :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Klonker wrote: »
    I don't think he's talking sense at all. He's having a good rant :pac: Not sure what the part about electric scooters was about :pac:

Laws being ignored was his point.

Talking a lot of sense to be honest - not been a good morning for the Government so far on Sarahs show.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Infoanon wrote: »
    Talking a lot of sense to be honest - not been a good morning for the Government so far on Sarahs show.

I agree, I only got the tail of the interview but she was coming off very dour and Joe like.

Sigh..yeah.....yeah..sigh... How many do you employ... Sigh

Not very enticing listening

• Advertisement

Klonker wrote: »

Didn't sound like a rant. Says he's not reopening until there's a *cure*.

Nobody would say such a thing blithely -- that's a cue for creditors to start demanding payments. I think he's serious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement