Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Greatest Music Act of the 80s - Live Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Queen Vs Dire Straits [both great but dire straits had a stronger output thru the 80s]
    The Cure Vs Prince [an iconic 80s musician. the cure never clicked with me]

• Registered Users Posts: 85,120 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Queen, Freddie was a true showman

Prince, Purple Rain is such a great track

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Semi-Final 1
    Dire Straits ; one of my nominations, so definitely sticking with them. Queen will always be more '70s to me, while Dire Straits are quintessential '80s

Semi-Final 2
    Prince ; again one of my nominations here, so sticking with him. So may iconic songs; Purple Rain, When Doves Cry, 1999, Little Red Corvette, Raspberry Beret, Let's Go Crazy, Kiss, I Would Die 4 U, Sign 'O' The Times to name but a few.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Queen - as much as I liked Dire Straits in the past, nobody is going to make a film about Mark Knopfler and the lads. Everything about Queen was just that much more entertaining.

Prince - last of my nominations still in the game, so sticking with his royal purpleness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

A regal final is possible. Prince vs Queen.
    Harry vs Liz :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Queen - As per previous vote for them. They have some unreal hits from the 80s and under pressure is one of my all time fav songs

The Cure - Only discovered them in recent years but they have some brilliant songs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Queen Not much into Dire Straits and Queen had a very solid run of hits in the 80's
    The Cure This was tough. I actually think they both deserve to be in the final. I picked The Cure though as few albums top Disintegration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Queen: for the amazing performer that was Freddie Mercury - the live at Wembley is one of the best live performances ever!!

Prince: A look at the albums he released in the 80's (especially the Revolution era)should leave little doubt that he was one of the best artists ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Dire Straits- because Queen are going to beat Prince in the final.

Prince-because he's the best eighties artist along with Michael Jackson and deserves to win.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Prince-because he's the best eighties artist along with Michael Jackson and deserves to win.

200.gif

• Advertisement

Dire Straits- because Queen are going to beat Prince in the final.

I love your tactic there, didn't think of that!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Change your vote to Dire Straits. They're ****e and only Necro will vote for them in the final.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Change your vote to Dire Straits. They're ****e and only Necro will vote for them in the final.

Yep, cos they made the semi finals they're absolutely sh1te clearly :rolleyes:

They've beaten some mega popular bands to get this far including my own nomination Guns'N'Roses in the quarters

Necro wrote: »
    Yep, cos they made the semi finals they're absolutely sh1te clearly :rolleyes:

They've beaten some mega popular bands to get this far including my own nomination Guns'N'Roses in the quarters

well, to be honest in an 80s competition I would consider Dire Straits more important than GnR, although I like GnR more. But with only one album (well 2, but who remembers GnR LIes) I can't seriously consider them as the Greatest 80's act.
    Same applies for Blondie. They would be worthy winners of a Greatest act of the 70s, but they were in a hiatus on the 80s, so not the greatest 80s act either.

Queen vs Prince or Queen vs The Cure is a worthy final. All 3 artists were consistently great during the whole decade

Irish Aris wrote: »
    well, to be honest in an 80s competition I would consider Dire Straits more important than GnR, although I like GnR more. But with only one album (well 2, but who remembers GnR LIes) I can't seriously consider them as the Greatest 80's act.
    Same applies for Blondie. They would be worthy winners of a Greatest act of the 70s, but they were in a hiatus on the 80s, so not the greatest 80s act either.

Queen vs Prince or Queen vs The Cure is a worthy final. All 3 artists were consistently great during the whole decade

I do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

Queen Vs Dire Straits
    The Cure Vs Prince

I vote ah balls i'm going for Dire Straits... Queen are epic but i love Dire Straits more.... sorry...

The Cure because overall i love them...

Dire Straits - I nominated them and I never ever get this far with my noms so i'm gonna do my damndest to be in the final. I also like them very, very much.

Prince - just edging it for me here based on his stage shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

1. Dire Straits - I don't think they have got the love in previous competitions and think they deserve their day in the sun. Plus I prefer Queen's 70s stuff.

2. The Cure - Was never really into these guys until I saw their Glastonbury set last summer and they gained a fan that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭playonplayette

Queen and Prince proper 80's music royalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Well, would have preferred a different matchup, but I think Queen edges this.

The other semifinal I couldn't care less about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BandMember

Queen Vs Dire Straits - Freddie The Showman vs A Statuesque Headband? No contest! Plus, they pretty much dominated over half the decade with the high point (or certainly the point that people remember most) being their Live Aid set.

The Cure Vs Prince - I acknowledge that Prince was a great musician and had some good tunes, but love the stuff The Cure were putting out during that decade.

I'm going to say now that I have no idea how I'm going to vote in the final! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Queen - freddy the great showman and that live aid performance.

The cure - loved them growing up and still never grow tired of listening to them. Prince? He was OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Voting Queen, never been a big Dire Straits fan.

The Cure, I like more of their songs than Prince.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I prefer Queen

I do enjoy The Cure

That's who gets the votes from me

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Queen - I think overall their catalogue even just their 80s stuff is better than Dire Straits

The Cure - I nominated The Cure so I'm sticking with my nomination, and I'm not a fan of Prince.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Queen 10 - 6 Dire Straits
    The Cure 10 - 9 Prince

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Lame. Well done boardsies. Wrong choices once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The numbers never lie

It's a fairytale story for The Cure which may or may not end in a jolly good thrashing by Queen :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Lame. Well done boardsies. Wrong choices once again.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Imagine getting the hump, because other people didn't like/vote who you wanted to win.... :rolleyes:

Stamping feet too ? :pac: :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Advertisement