Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭esposito

endainoz wrote: »
    I can't understand why people are so mad to leave the country and spend their money elsewhere for the sake of a bit of sunshine and the obvious added risk of international travel. The tourism industry is relying heavily on domestic visitors this year and should be supported. It'll help us all in the long term.

A few weeks ago I was very tempted to go abroad but then I realised it would not be worth it with risks involved and would probably feel guilty coming back not to mention the 14 day quarantine inconvenience.

Holidaying at home in the west at the moment and enjoying it. Makes you feel good that you are contributing to the local economy which is much needed. Weather hasn’t been too bad. Yesterday was lovely. Today is crap but seeing and doing lots of things and it’s nice to just get away and forget about work.

Made the right decision and feel better for doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I can't understand why people are so mad to leave the country and spend their money elsewhere for the sake of a bit of sunshine and the obvious added risk of international travel. The tourism industry is relying heavily on domestic visitors this year and should be supported. It'll help us all in the long term.

A lot of people find the constant cold, grey, dark, windy and damp weather extremely depressing, especially knowing we probably have at least 9 months of it to look forward to if nothing good comes in the next few weeks. It never used to bother me too much but coming back to Ireland after a few years of living in much sunnier climates I really notice how much it affects my mood now

As for today, most dry in Letterkenny but slate grey skies and feeling positively cold

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

Still lashing here in North County Dublin.

We always go abroad every year + I crave that yearly unbroken sunshine. We are not going to risk it this year but I know I won't be the better for it.

Yes we will 'make the best of it but really weather so depressing. Last two weekends have been a write off with rain .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

an awful day again at Dunshaughlin, heavy rain and lots of surface water. Aside from yesterday every day this July has been wet and cool. A good thing we managed to find a window yesterday to get the lawn cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

For all the talk of staycations the money it costs to stay somewhere in ireland for a week is outrageous. Never mind eating out etc. On top of that you're likely to have unpleasant weather. I prefer to just take off for a day or two in ireland when i know for sure the weather will be nice but these windows are few and far between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭bazlers

Would a velux do a good job ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

For all the talk of staycations the money it costs to stay somewhere in ireland for a week is outrageous. Never mind eating out etc. On top of that you're likely to have unpleasant weather. I prefer to just take off for a day or two in ireland when i know for sure the weather will be nice but these windows are few and far between.

550 for a week isn't outrageous money for self catering near the sea.
    There is a lot of reasonably priced accommodation if you do the work to find it and contact owners of holiday rentals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavy mist down here in West cork, weather showed it as dry so dissapointing. There goes the plans :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Just watching some very dark clouds south of me here and clearer sky's to the north, the centre of the low is passing to my south where the clouds were coming towards me from a southerly wind which is now starting to turn easterly as the low passes to the east, expecting the wind to change back from the north in the next hour or two, hopefully making for some nice clear spells here in North Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Holiday in ireland " it's like standing in the shower, in new clothes, ripping up 50 euro notes" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭endainoz

Because getting gouged on prices whilst also getting soaked tends to be a $hit way to spend your free time.

I get that, but given the current situation it's like shooting yourself in the foot. I wouldn't go quite as far to call it selfish, but the risk attached to overseas travel just dosent seem worth it for me. Not for the sake of sunshine.

Anyway this probably dosent belong on this thread as was said already, I worked in tourism for most of my adult life and Irish tend to be the worst kind of tourist to deal with anyway. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

I get that, but given the current situation it's like shooting yourself in the foot. I wouldn't go quite as far to call it selfish, but the risk attached to overseas travel just dosent seem worth it for me. Not for the sake of sunshine.
    :p

Its not always just for the weather, some people travel to sunnier climates for health reasons aswell (ie respitory issues, sads, low vitamin D levels etc) and people will need their health to be in good condition if this much talked about 2nd wave hits us

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    an awful day again at Dunshaughlin, heavy rain and lots of surface water. Aside from yesterday every day this July has been wet and cool. A good thing we managed to find a window yesterday to get the lawn cut.

13mm from todays rain, over 130mm since june 1st in my area of meath, weather from thursday looks good though

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭alentejo

My daughters camogie cancelled due to rain . 1st structured sport event in months. Awful times. Weather is beyond depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭kingshankly

alentejo wrote: »
    My daughters camogie cancelled due to rain . 1st structured sport event in months. Awful times. Weather is beyond depressing.

Jesus they willing to get hit regularly with sticks but not go out in the rain 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1 irkkumies

Donegal is a must especially the Slieve League Cliffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭endainoz

Its not always just for the weather, some people travel to sunnier climates for health reasons aswell (ie respitory issues, sads, low vitamin D levels etc) and people will need their health to be in good condition if this much talked about 2nd wave hits us

Yeah that's all fine, but that definitely doesn't cover everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Just when you think it can’t get any worse...it’s cold it’s wet it’s breezy it’s ridiculous.

It got worse for me no power all day only back 10 mins ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I agree, there is lots of value to be had holidaying in Ireland. I have found great offers in the likes of Donegal and Sligo. Best trip I have done is renting a cruise boat on the river Shannon, highly recommend it.
    550 for a week isn't outrageous money for self catering near the sea.
    There is a lot of reasonably priced accommodation if you do the work to find it and contact owners of holiday rentals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

I'm not sure how many more Irish "summers" I can tolerate. Quality of life is dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ireland is a great place when the weather is good but when you've brought the kids to mayo for a week in July and they're turning blue with the cold on the beach then you know you're going overseas the following year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Heavy rain stopped about 3 hours ago but still very wet and cool drizzly pigmuck continues and the sound of dripping everywhere. Things will improve over the next week but by how much and how long for remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭4Ad

Raining in East Clare all day, thought it had stopped half an hour ago it hadn't..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

To be honest all of Northern Europe has had awful weather in recent weeks. Even parts of the nordics that get nice summers have been unseasonably cold and wet. Ireland and Britain have had very poor weather
    Ireland is a great place when the weather is good but when you've brought the kids to mayo for a week in July and they're turning blue with the cold on the beach then you know you're going overseas the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,667 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Bar one or 2 days the weather since the start of June has had many ugly shades of summer 2012 - will need August to break a long habit to salvage whats left:(

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Bar one or 2 days the weather since the start of June has had many ugly shades of summer 2012 - will need August to break a long habit to salvage whats left:(

The past 2 weeks definitely up there with 2012 here in Meath with large rainfall totals, barely any sunshine, poor temperatures and plenty of wind. Hopefully the worst is over from tomorrow. It can't really get much worse than it's been since the middle of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

Every single region of Ireland had above average sunshine in March, April AND May while spring was the sunniest EVER in Dublin. What were people honestly expecting of summer? It's Ireland.

If this weekend's and next week's good weather verify then we'll be doing exceptionally well for Ireland in my opinion.

I will caveat things by saying I'm in Dublin, which has probably seen a few more half-decent days in June and July than the rest of the country - but then we missed out on most of the spring heat.

Also, as someone else said, things have been quite unsettled for the past two weeks in Scandinavia, the UK and Holland too. So it's not just us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

compsys wrote: »
    Every single region of Ireland had above average sunshine in March, April AND May while spring was the sunniest EVER in Dublin. What were people honestly expecting of summer? It's Ireland.

Then June was the dullest since 1993 and July so far with 16.4 hrs in 7 days (not much better if you add on 27-30 June either so 11 days really) in high summer is horrendous. There is no justifying this at all. It has been so bad even if spring was average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Then June was the dullest since 1993 and July so far with 16.4 hrs in 7 days (not much better if you add on 27-30 June either so 11 days really) in high summer is horrendous. There is no justifying this at all. It has been so bad even if spring was average.

Even if spring was average? Spring was exceptional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Soggy day and evening with heavy drizzle continuing in Kildare. 13mm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement