Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

compsys wrote: »
    Even if spring was average? Spring was exceptional.

What I meant is, even if spring was average, this summer so far would still be classified as horrendous.

It is ironic how I used to be on the other side of the bandwagon against pessimism or moaning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Spring was fantastic this year, I think just about everyone loved it except maybe the farmers but when you consider we had 6 to 7 months of deluges before hand and a fairly lousy summer since early to mid June we're not doing great.

The past 2 weeks have been appalling, at least here in Meath with deluges or spells of light to moderate rain nearly every day and temperatures of no more than 12 or 13c most days. Sure we can expect the odd day like this over the summer but not nearly every single day over a two week period during the height of summer!

Still raining here in Meath, hasn't really stopped since last night. I think this is the 3rd or 4th 12+hour rain spell we've had since July 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I have never seen such a concentration of S.A.D. victims in the one place. You know, coming onto this thread can't really be helping you. You're just compounding the issue reading others with the same complaints.

It's weather, and while it's not good at the moment it's not in any way hazardous. We could have been getting a lot worse. If it was January you would just get on with it and think nothing of it. Yes, it's July and you'd rather have wall-to-wall sunshine, but that just doesn't happen that regularly in Ireland (although July is the month with the most sunny days). We're only less than 25% through the month so there's plenty of scope for improvement. I said a couple of weeks ago that it looked like we were setting up for a long atmospheric river event and that's what's materialised, but these don't tend to go on forever. We have had some decent weather for getting out and about within the past few weeks, but some don't acknowledge this and would rather perpetuate this anguish in this thread. I don't remember certain posters coming on several times a day during the Spring when we were getting good weather. They only seem to like it when they don't like it...

Relax, people. This weather is not the best but it is still possible to do most things most days (though I do agree that today was absolute muck).

519144.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The issue here is that people have different opinions on what nice weather is. Some people could call dry, overcast days nice but I personally wouldn't call that nice weather. Just because we had the best spring ever doesn't mean people shouldn't be upset with the weather we're getting at the moment. I had a feeling that we were in for a poor summer but that hasn't made me less disappointed with what's happened so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Artane2002 wrote: »
    The issue here is that people have different opinions on what nice weather is. Some people could call dry, overcast days nice but I personally wouldn't call that nice weather. Just because we had the best spring ever doesn't mean people shouldn't be upset with the weather we're getting at the moment. I had a feeling that we were in for a poor summer but that hasn't made me less disappointed with what's happened so far.
    Once you can get outside and do something, I'd consider it ok weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Thats true for sure but blaming Met Eireann for the bad weather is a bit much

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Here's the total cumulative 24-hour surface shortwave radiation up to 18Z tomorrow. We're just in the wrong spot for now but it we get it back later in the week while the gloom heads to northern Germany/Poland.

519153.png

519154.png

• Registered Users Posts: 48,150 ✭✭✭✭km79

What the hell
    It’s going to piss rain again tomorrow?????
    First week of July done
    Almost half way through summer now ......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭giveitholly

km79 wrote: »
    What the hell
    It’s going to piss rain again tomorrow?????
    First week of July done
    Almost half way through summer now ......

Ah hopefully tomorrow is the last day of it for a while and we get a good few dry and fingers crossed sunny days after that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Then June was the dullest since 1993 and July so far with 16.4 hrs in 7 days (not much better if you add on 27-30 June either so 11 days really) in high summer is horrendous. There is no justifying this at all. It has been so bad even if spring was average.

Yep + don't forgot windest ever aswell. Casement had 25 rain days in June! At height of summer its just mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

A grey, damp and cold December morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Spot on with this. Unfortunately the prophets of doom on here would suggest this is the worst weather year of all time. The next week looks very settled. Should the last 3 weeks of July and August deliver, that would mean 5 great months of weather out of 6. June was quite poor but nowhere near the worst I have seen. Half of the days I was out with the kids no problem. It was just so poor in comparison to the three great months that preceded it. July Is only one week old with a good outlook
    Every single region of Ireland had above average sunshine in March, April AND May while spring was the sunniest EVER in Dublin. What were people honestly expecting of summer? It's Ireland.

If this weekend's and next week's good weather verify then we'll be doing exceptionally well for Ireland in my opinion.

I will caveat things by saying I'm in Dublin, which has probably seen a few more half-decent days in June and July than the rest of the country - but then we missed out on most of the spring heat.

Also, as someone else said, things have been quite unsettled for the past two weeks in Scandinavia, the UK and Holland too. So it's not just us.

How was spring average, 3 months of dry weather with the vast majority under blue skies and reaching 27 degrees

Then June was the dullest since 1993 and July so far with 16.4 hrs in 7 days (not much better if you add on 27-30 June either so 11 days really) in high summer is horrendous. There is no justifying this at all. It has been so bad even if spring was average.

How was spring average, 3 months of dry weather with the vast majority under blue skies and reaching 27 degrees

People can't see past the weather they experience at a particular time. While some places did better than others, overall the three months of spring were amazing.

I'm in Cork, and while we did have about 4-5 very wet days the rest of the country didn't get which skewed our rainfall stats for the period, it was bone dry for the rest of the time without the blazing sunshine. Some people are just never happy with the weather!

The people on here should spend a summer in Scotland and they will know real rain
    People can't see past the weather they experience at a particular time. While some places did better than others, overall the three months of spring were amazing.

I'm in Cork, and while we did have about 4-5 very wet days the rest of the country didn't get which skewed our rainfall stats for the period, it was bone dry for the rest of the time without the blazing sunshine. Some people are just never happy with the weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Spot on with this. Unfortunately the prophets of doom on here would suggest this is the worst weather year of all time. The next week looks very settled. Should the last 3 weeks of July and August deliver, that would mean 5 great months of weather out of 6. June was quite poor but nowhere near the worst I have seen. Half of the days I was out with the kids no problem. It was just so poor in comparison to the three great months that preceded it. July Is only one week old with a good outlook

While I'd agree the depression on here gets a bit much, your constant 'it's grand' posts are just as annoying and inaccurate as the ones you're criticising. Syran confirmed June was the least sunny since '93 which for many here will be in living memory and the first 8 says of July are about as bad as I've ever experienced. It's also been extremely windy throughout, all the leaves are brown around here from wind damage and there's barely been a dry day since the end of May.

There's also nothing particularly settled in the forecast, today looks like another write off and tomorrow predictably is now also forecast for rain in the morning and heavy showers in the afternoon. Friday-Sunday a small improvement (though still showery around here) before another wet day on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

You pick him up incorrectly
    His point was that summer has been terrible even IF we had gone through an average spring, he has not said we had an average spring, his point being even with the exceptional spring, its hard to accept the summer that has followed so far

If you follow these forums a long time you will quickly note that Sryan is one of the ones who NEVER moans about our weather

I guess like the vast majority on here he is being worn down by the shocking summer so far, who could blame him

Grey, misty and wet here again in Dublin 18 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭pauldry

I wish they would predict the approximate hours sunshine on the weather forecast.

Like yesterday they said it would be dry but then showed big clouds over the west and north all the days so does that mean a sunless few days to add to the below 10 hours of sun so far for July

Actually 15.1hrs sun for Bellmullet but definitely wasnt that sunny in Sligo bar Sundays hurricane

Slasher, I already re-iterated what I meant, keep up please. I think I, the guy who looks at stats everyday and posts how exceptional spring was, know what spring 2020 was like! In fact, I am currently working on a bit of an analysis to prove just how exceptional it was on a countrywide scale.

There is no justifying this summer at all. I could care less what goes on in Reykjavik or Athens, it has been horrendous for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭pauldry

If the Arctic keeps melting away Summers like this may be rare indeed

However theres a blocking high up there since the start of July. I think it has messed up our weather bigtime sending fronts West to East non stop and no end in sight either bar a few ridges.

Even if the Arctic heats up even more its still likely we will be saddled with colder than normal conditions. When they have "normal" Summers we get our regular Summers too. This year is nightmare scenario for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy drizzle has returned in Kildare

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pad199207 wrote: »
    Heavy drizzle has returned in Kildare

damp and wet here in Meath too, ground/garden is saturated like a sponge from all the rain/deluges of the past 2 to 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭compsys

Slasher, I already re-iterated what I meant, keep up please. I think I, the guy who looks at stats everyday and posts how exceptional spring was, know what spring 2020 was like! In fact, I am currently working on a bit of an analysis to prove just how exceptional it was on a countrywide scale.

There is no justifying this summer at all. I could care less what goes on in Reykjavik or Athens, it has been horrendous for me.

Regardless of spring, June was a poor enough month. We can all agree on that.

But the point that I was making, and others are alluding to, is that given the exceptional nature of spring, expecting an exceptional summer or even a half-decent summer to follow was wishful thinking to say the least. This is Ireland unfortunately. You're not going to get six months of above average sunshine as weather evens itself out over the medium term as we all know.

Also, although June was pretty poor, temps in some stations were warmer than average! And I know some people will say: 'all the cloud, the rain' but again, this is Ireland. At least it wasn't cloudy, wet AND cold like last year. Although more northern and western areas probably felt chilly enough.

For a form that's full of weather enthusiasts and experts, a large number of people seem to forget what average conditions here are supposed to be like.

Yes, summer so far has been disappointing but it's payback for a beautiful spring. Plus this weekend and next week is looking ok! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Again, not all the country enjoyed the weather in spring. I made a big post a while back with the days of rain etc and there was more then 4 in cork and days where it wasn't warm down here. We had *a lot* of grey, drizzly days that went on for a week at a time but accumulated nothing. This has been said by multiple people down south multiple times, but dancinpants must have been in a different part, cork is a big county! :)

Any chance the fight between spring and summer can stop now because we can all agree this summer has been very poor and the weather that we got in spring has nothing to do with how this summer is faring out.

Back on topic, awful weather again today. Foggy, cold and drizzling down in West cork.

I don't think anyone was expecting an amazing summer or decent summer with plenty of dry and sunny days. What we have instead isn't just poor, it's awful. In the past 3 weeks temperatures have been low teens majority of the time, at least here in Meath and rain/drizzle/mist almost daily with 3 to 4 rain events of 12+ hours over the past week alone. That is not normal Irish summer weather for Meath, it's more like a traditional to poor summer in Lerwick (Shetland islands).

This is up there with the worst summer weather I can remember since 2012. We stopped lighting fires in May and started lighting them during the second half of June and here we are heading towards the middle of July and fires still being lit every evening. 2012 was the last time we lit regular fires in July.

Again, not all the country enjoyed the weather

Any chance the fight between spring and summer can stop now because we can all agree this summer has been very poor and the weather that we got in spring has nothing to do with how this summer is faring out.

Weather evens itself out so I'd disagree. We all know that year after year good springs are rarely followed by very good summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Its just as well there is no music festivals on this year, I still think this year is better than 2016, one of the wettest summers I remember, it rained at every single festival I was at and I was at eight of them that year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I've been discussing with my other half whether to light the fire this afternoon.

It's damp and cold

Gonzo wrote: »
    I don't think anyone was expecting an amazing summer or decent summer with plenty of dry and sunny days. What we have instead isn't just poor, it's awful. In the past 3 weeks temperatures have been low teens majority of the time, at least here in Meath and rain/drizzle/mist almost daily with 3 to 4 rain events of 12+ hours over the past week alone. That is not normal Irish summer weather for Meath, it's more like a traditional to poor summer in Lerwick (Shetland islands).

This is up there with the worst summer weather I can remember since 2012. We stopped lighting fires in May and started lighting them during the second half of June and here we are heading towards the middle of July and fires still being lit every evening. 2012 was the last time we lit regular fires in July.

In fairness Gonzo I think you feel the chill a bit more than others :) I doubt everyone in the country has been lighting a fire every evening. I know I haven't. With all the cloud I've actually thought the nights have been mild enough. Chilly enough on a few days I agree with poor temps, even for Ireland :(

Isn't there a 'summer index' ME uses that takes account of rain, cloud and temps to give a rating?

If so, how did June fare?

I know it was very cloudy but what about taking into account rain and temps?

• Advertisement

In fairness Gonzo I think you feel the chill a lot more than others :) I doubt everyone in the country has been lighting a fire every evening. I know I haven't. With all the cloud I've actually thought the nights have been mild enough. Chilly enough on a few days I agree :(

Isn't there a 'summer index' ME uses that takes account of rain, cloud and temps to give a rating?

If so, how did June fare?

I know it was very cloudy but what about taking into account rain and temps?

I don't know of the formula to calculate their poulter index but a summer index I found and calculated based on Dublin Apt data showed June 2020 was the worst "summer" (I included Mays into the equation too than just June to August) month since May 2015 with 19.8 (May 2015 was 17.4) whilst it was the worst since August 2014 if not including Mays. This index is based on mean max temperature, monthly rainfall and average sun hours per day. For what it's worth, July's index so far is 18.5.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement