Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Curtains drawn and fire lit at 8.30pm on 4th July, such depression.

The wind is howling, the flowers that are still alive are sideways, the wheelie bins are rattling, there's just a constant drizzle and everything is grey. On the plus side the river levels are up for kayaking, normally wouldn't see these levels til the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wind howling now here on the west cork coast, wonder how strong it will get. Can't measure the speed down here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭appledrop

OK so MetEireann have now issued a weather warning for unseasonably windy weather for tonight + tomorrow. Even they are wondering where our summer is!

It just goes from bad to worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Why is it so windy lately ? Is it something to do with global warming. Why is MetEireann weather so inaccurate. They had no rain on the weather for today when I looked and it rained all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Today wasn't the worst day in Donegal.
    Drizzly in morning, cleared up by noon and was dry and cloudy until around 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

appledrop wrote: »
    OK so MetEireann have now issued a weather warning for unseasonably windy weather for tonight + tomorrow. Even they are wondering where our summer is!

It just goes from bad to worse!

Not in parts of Dublin and Donegal
    Been a great summer

The BBC weather has also called it unseasonable windy weather + more like what you would get in autumn+ cool.

No doubt someone will still come on here tomorrow + tell people to wrap up its grand!

km79 wrote: »
    Not in parts of Dublin and Donegal
    Been a great summer

I presume your joking!

Summer only starts in June + as Syranbruen has already highlighted one of windiest June ever + also very dull + very high rainfall in parts of country.

I also cant remember a July that has started so badly. Yes only 4 days in but gales forecast overnight so no sign of improvement.

I presume your joking!

Summer only starts in June + as Syranbruen has already highlighted one of windiest June ever + also very dull + very high rainfall in parts of country.

I also cant remember a July that has started so badly. Yes only 4 days in but gales forecast overnight so no sign of improvement.

Yes I was most certainly joking/being sarcastic

• Advertisement

The BBC weather has also called it unseasonable windy weather + more like what you would get in autumn+ cool.

No doubt someone will still come on here tomorrow + tell people to wrap up its grand!

Yes there is a regular poster who has suggested that already
    Go out and “make the most of it” . In July .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

South-west Dublin, windy and generally miserable but very mild. I've seen mentions of fires being lit, no need here! App says 17 degrees currently.

Would love some BBQ weather soon.

Google photos just sent me my memories reminder for a year ago this week+ 2 years ago this week + both were on Portmarnock beach In beautiful weather.

Meanwhile we are facing gale force winds tomorrow so no 'making the most of it' is not good enough in July even for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭kingshankly

That may have been the worst weeks weather in a summer I can remember horrendous weather it’s a winters day out there this morning 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I woke up to a lovely sunny morning today, pretty calm after last nights so-called winds.

But in the last 15mins it has started lashing again and the wind seems to be picking up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

It's feeling quite chilly out this morning.
    Bit of a shock to the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

We are truly paying for the good spring now. Went to Tramore for a drive last night. Horrible misty gloomy evening down there sea fog. It wasn’t cold per se in the sense that you’d need a jacket on you and you’d survive. Dry here this morning but windy. The fact that we can’t leave the country this summer is compounding this **** show of a summer so far. Whilst the meteorological summer might stretch to 31st August I always feel our true summer is June to August bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Sunny,breezy but dry,weekend is turning out a lot better than what was forecasted/predicted so far,no rain yesterday or today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Rain and wind. Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sunny but breezy/windy in North Dublin...

Can see it being a bit volatile today

• Advertisement

Wild afternoon out there sunny spells but once again like something from mid October.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wild afternoon in West cork right on the coast. Like a November evening but at least it's dry! Hearing the city is calmer then down here which is expected

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a wild night here last night in Meath, at the moment still gusty with sunny spells and showers. I haven't seen dry ground in over a week. Already I think we can safely say this first half of summer is already well below the standard of the first half of last summer and that wasn't the best either.

Hopefully the second half of this summer has a considerable improvement, we've only had about 4 or 5 days which you could classify as summer weather since the beginning of June. The past week to 10 days has been as bad as I've ever seen it in any summer.

I’d say we’ve had 3 days in these parts Gonzo them being June 1 and June 2 and last Thursday week the 25th?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I’d say we’ve had 3 days in these parts Gonzo them being June 1 and June 2 and last Thursday week the 25th?

Off the top of the head these days have been generally mild/warm, dry and sunny in my local area:

June 1, June 2 (end of Spring 3 month dry spell)
    June 8, (a dry and sunny interlude for 1 day only)
    June 15, (a warm and sunny day, we managed to avoid thunderstorms on that day)

June 25, 26 ( warm sunny spells but a few showers)

The last week of June and this first week of July has been particularly poor with barely any sunshine, poor temperatures, lots of cloud and rain and of course wind.

Fingers crossed we get a few dry and settled days next week.

All I can say about today is that its a good day for drying the clothes once you have about 50 pegs on them so they don't blow away in between the rain showers!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ridiculous wind. Plants in the garden getting smashed up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Spare a thought for us poor souls up north, getting drenched every 10 minutes :(

6CKgMH0.jpg

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Ridiculous wind. Plants in the garden getting smashed up. :(

Someone will be along soon to tell you to wrap up and maybe wrap the plants up. I presume it’s another cracking day up in Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A mixture of everything in Castlebar today, strong winds, torrential downpours and spells of lovely bright sunshine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement