Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Fear not, forecast seems to be good from Wednesday into next week if met eireann are to be trusted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Dull and cloudy all day in Kildare and i thought was quite cold :( Now rain again tomorrow

JOINT:
    Just Overly Irresponsible, Never True

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Fear not, forecast seems to be good from Wednesday into next week if met eireann are to be trusted

GFS now has Wednesday late afternoon/evening onwards as a washout :)

48-779UK_dqm2.GIF

Hopefully better thereafter...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Only going by what met eireann were forecasting from yesterday. They certainly don’t get if right all the time

48-779UK_dqm2.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭degsie

48-779UK_dqm2.GIF

Looks like a custom made weather system, perfect cover for all of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭pauldry

Today looks like being one of the coldest July days ever.

Very chilly 11 or 12c at best in a lot of spots plus 5c tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Just when you think it can’t get any worse...it’s cold it’s wet it’s breezy it’s ridiculous.

you forgot its July

I’m sure someone will be along with the wrap up line or that it’s a cracking day somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,150 ✭✭✭✭km79

pauldry wrote: »
    Today looks like being one of the coldest July days ever.

Very chilly 11 or 12c at best in a lot of spots plus 5c tonight

I knew it was going to be wet but by god it is cold out alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

The only positive thing I can say about today is that at least it was forevast for wet, cold miserable weather.

We didnt even get the nice day some people seemed to have yesterday.

It was extremely windy + dull all day. I suppose it was dry.

This has to be worse start to July ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Awful morning here, when is the good weather supposed to kick in?

Is it from this weekend and when roughly should it last until?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

The sooner this green list for ountries we can visit is outlined the better...can't stick this muck for another 2 months...

Awful morning here, when is the good weather supposed to kick in?

Is it from this weekend and when roughly should it last until?

I honestly think it depends on your definition of good weather. Whilst anything would be better than this I don’t think there’s anything earth shattering on the horizon. ME describe it as mostly fair weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭techdiver

It depressing to be honest. Locked down for the only good weather so far this year and now this.

What's worrying too, is the "good" weather was originally supposed to start tomorrow, now the forecast for tomorrow is muck too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

DellyBelly wrote: »
    The sooner this green list for ountries we can visit is outlined the better...can't stick this muck for another 2 months...

I know the problem is a lot of people will already have their annual leave used up by time this happens + still very uncetain if you would be covered by travel insurance if anything happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Not a bad day so far here in North Donegal, overcast but staying dry and just a light breeze. Temp about 11c

Cracking day here............if youre a duck

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

techdiver wrote: »
    It depressing to be honest. Locked down for the only good weather so far this year and now this.

What's worrying too, is the "good" weather was originally supposed to start tomorrow, now the forecast for tomorrow is muck too.

Not sure on that. The “improvement” was always looking to start Saturday or Sunday with a few days of better conditions. Still looking that way.

July gets a -1/10 from me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The current Met Eireann outlook does not look too bad for most of the country from Wednesday onwards till early next week. The sun won't be splitting the stones, but clonmel1000 should not need to wrap up...:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It seems we had great weather when we were locked down. The weather has deteriorated as our lockdown laws have been eased. It is getting increasing tempting to hop on a plane to some sunny place. But I think it is worth resisting this temptation As forecast models suggests some warm weather this coming weekend and in the early days of next week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

techdiver wrote: »

There was never any good weather forecast for this week. It only begins to improve from this weekend.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Not sure on that. The “improvement” was always looking to start Saturday or Sunday with a few days of better conditions. Still looking that way.

July gets a -1/10 from me so far.

Ah yeah. It has been disappointing. I'm still hoping we can eek at least three or fours settled days from the current outlook, but as you have said it won't last any longer than that. So i'm more or less resigned to not getting the week of fine weather we need for the meadow.
    I was skeptical of M.T. Craniums's Summer forecast back in late May, as i thought the the blocking would persist, but his forecast has been bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Rain, fog, miserable ............. July ............. Wicklow Hills. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

May god have mercy on our soul. What's that Julius Caesar quote about Hibernia and the Irish? Compelled to a horrible existence because of the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭techdiver

Gonzo wrote: »
    There was never any good weather forecast for this week. It only begins to improve from this weekend.

Let me clarify.

Up to yesterday the forecast for my area for tomorrow was fine. Light breeze, some sunshine and elevated temperatures. Now it's changed to a **** show again. This has been a trend the last few weeks. Forecast has been worthless unless you are 12-24 hours out (even then it's questionable). Example: last Wednesday it gave 0.5mm of rain to fall at 6pm (when checking at 5pm!), when in fact the heavens opened and there persistent heavy rain for hours.

I monitor the forecast a lot as I plan for outdoor activities and the forecasts have been very inaccurate to say the least. I'm not talking long term forecast. I'm taking within a day or so. This is using the met Eireann app.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ah yeah. It has been disappointing. I'm still hoping we can eek at least three or fours settled days from the current outlook, but as you have said it won't last any longer than that. So i'm more or less resigned to not getting the week of fine weather we need for the meadow.
    I was skeptical of M.T. Craniums's Summer forecast back in late May, as i thought the the blocking would persist, but his forecast has been bang on.

It’s a bit of a strange one. I felt the same skepticism but also agreed with June being more mixed given the teleconnections and limited forecasts I seen. There was some consensus of high pressure retrogressing from the spring pattern to a more mid-Atlantic ridge which we did get at the end of the first week for a time and again for a time in the second week before the European Monsoon aka the return of the westerlies, arrived during second half.

It would be a huge hilarious irony if August turned out the best month of the summer (talking relatively speaking to a poor June and July, not a scorcher necessarily) with all this talk of La Niña which was meant to signal the best weather to occur in June and deterioration through August which of course the latter we’re so used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭endainoz

DellyBelly wrote: »

I can't understand why people are so mad to leave the country and spend their money elsewhere for the sake of a bit of sunshine and the obvious added risk of international travel. The tourism industry is relying heavily on domestic visitors this year and should be supported. It'll help us all in the long term.

endainoz wrote: »
    I can't understand why people are so mad to leave the country and spend their money elsewhere for the sake of a bit of sunshine and the obvious added risk of international travel. The tourism industry is relying heavily on domestic visitors this year and should be supported. It'll help us all in the long term.

I suspect this belongs on another forum, but i can see why some people are keen to get away. it might be characterised as selfish by some, but the weather, as we see on this forum, can greatly affect people's moods. I personally don't crave sunshine holidays so not being able to travel does not bother me, i am quite happy walking a beach in bad weather. I am probably in the minoritry with this view.

Then there is also the price factor for a lot of "staycations", if the tourism and government want people to be patriotic, the industry should reduce their prices ,where possible, to incentivise people to holiday at home.

Anyway back to the weather, the rain has eased off now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

endainoz wrote: »

Because getting gouged on prices whilst also getting soaked tends to be a $hit way to spend your free time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement