Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

DOCARCH wrote: »
    11.5mm reported between 5 and 6am at Dublin Airport.

Moderate rain in Dublin 16. 19.0mm since midnight.

Wettest hourly period at D.A. since 14 August 2017, not too shabby.

Correction: 30 July 2019 had a 12.2mm hourly total. I need a good sleep or some new specs!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Met Eireann forecasting thunder and lightening here in Dublin 24 for the morning but just can't see it doesn't feel warm enough to get! Ground is soaked here definitely reduced the soil moisture deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Hasn't rained here in Dun Laoghaire at all since 8:30am and now it's starting to brighten up substantially. Remarkable the very localised differences, across a couple of km even, in rainfall over the last couple of days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Have had more than enough rain since 7pm yesterday evening, then on and off all through the night and very intense rain earlier this morning. With a very unsettled pattern developing looks like the weekend and next week will be no shortage of rain particularly in the west. The drought is well and truly over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

From met eireann

Dublin Airport recorded 11.5mm of rain between 5am and 6am this morning. That was more rain in one hour than in the whole month of May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Any sun on the horizon? Looks grey af in forecasts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Any sun on the horizon? Looks grey af in forecasts

in spain.

in spain.

I've a flight to there on 4th July, I wont believe I'm going till I'm on the runway though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Enjoyed the thunderstorms last weekend but really were back to the same old gloomy nonsense now. The best you can say is that it’s not cold but it’s mid summer so really it shouldn’t be anyway.i should be 35000 feet in the air now en route to Las Palmas in Gran Canaria. It’s a bit soul destroying really. Very grey non descriptive morning here just meh really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

London getting absolutely pummeled with rain yesterday and today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Enjoyed the thunderstorms last weekend but really were back to the same old gloomy nonsense now. The best you can say is that it’s not cold but it’s mid summer so really it shouldn’t be anyway.i should be 35000 feet in the air now en route to Las Palmas in Gran Canaria. It’s a bit soul destroying really. Very grey non descriptive morning here just meh really.
    it's the brightest/best day since Monday near Clonmel,before the rain comes later.enjoy these few hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another grey dreary misty day.

Only positive is not cold.

Glad we got out in park on Monday + Tuesday evening after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Grey and dry. But grey grey grey grey grey grey grey grey everyday. Wish this cloud would just p off. Mayo.

Grey af in Dublin but there's no wind and it's not cold. I got out for a run in the park earlier and it was actually quite pleasant, the still air and no wind, you have to make the most of these little things here, unfortunately!
    Another week of this grey though and I'll be depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭pad199207

Drops of rain in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

where's the sun?? may was the sunniest ever....surely this june (so far) is the dullest ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,702 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Three overcast days in a row now.

London getting absolutely pummeled with rain yesterday and today

Yes. It's turning out to be similar to June 2019 there, but not as cold this time around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yes. It's turning out to be similar to June 2019 there, but not as cold this time around.

For London they are nearly at the end of the unsettled spell. They turn very dry and potentially hot next week with mid to high twenties from Monday lasting into the following weekend.

For us the unsettled spell is a big question mark in terms of how long more will we have to wait in order to get a dry and settled spell. We're close to getting one next week but I think the westerlies will win out for us and dominate our weather for most of the next 7 days to 10 days, particularly in western areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Very muggy 18.3c in Arklow
    Milky sun
    Rain hasn't arrived yet

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Very muggy 18.3c in Arklow
    Milky sun
    Rain hasn't arrived yet

it's not that far away from you now, probably will be raining by 2pm, looks like alot of rain is on the way, possibly 20 to 30mm this evening and overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lashing in Kildare now. Gone very dark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭lolie

3rd overcast grey day in a row here.
    The weather station stopped recording rainfall so cant get an accurate measurement but i doubt we've had any more than 30mm of rainfall here in the last 2months.
    Expecting that to change in the next few days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A very dark murky day,especially in the east. Dublin airport reporting just 4 km vis at midday in mist with the cloud scattered at 200 feet and overcast at 300 feet.

Gonzo wrote: »
    For London they are nearly at the end of the unsettled spell. They turn very dry and potentially hot next week with mid to high twenties from Monday lasting into the following weekend.

For us the unsettled spell is a big question mark in terms of how long more will we have to wait in order to get a dry and settled spell. We're close to getting one next week but I think the westerlies will win out for us and dominate our weather for most of the next 7 days to 10 days, particularly in western areas.

That's right. It could be in the high twenties in London next week. I think we will have to wait till the last days in June for it to settle down across Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Kutebride

The dry air. Tres warm. Clouds are rolling in as I type. Meath.

showers are springing up ahead of the rain band, one north of Navan, another near Ashbourne and north Dublin and a few heavy ones in Wicklow. The main band of rain not far off the Irish sea coastline, should make landfall in the next hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The weather has been poor over there in recent weeks. Even during our warm spell, London was cooler than many parts of Ireland. Next week looks like being their first proper spell of weather

Gonzo wrote: »

The weather has been poor over there in recent weeks. Even during our warm spell, London was cooler than many parts of Ireland. Next week looks like being their first proper spell of weather

They always win the summer in the end, but then again they are so much better located for warm and sunny weather compared to us! London probably won't see much rain between next week and sometime in August unless the Atlantic properly breaks through next week.

IF the ECM is correct we stay under the Atlantic pattern for about 5 days and we draw up hot air at the end of next week which could potentially turn very thundery.

ECMOPEU00_216_1.png

ECMOPEU00_216_2.png

With the +17C isoterm into Cork and +15 through most of the country, this would be enough to get temperatures close to 30C in places if sunshine was strong. I very much doubt that will verify tho as it is a week away. Let's hope the Atlantic is pushed away from us again next week.

• Advertisement

Fairly heavy rain now. I would not be surprised if there was thunder with it in some places today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement