Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My garden Room Build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

superb work - is that a raking gable set up you are going with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dodzy wrote: »
    I think it looks great on your build. I’d have gone without batons and just screwed the cladding directly to the OSB. :)

Got a half day in today. A bit of trimming, a few hundred screws into the OSB walls and front framing.

Picked up 2 sets of white UPVC French doors in B&Q for €1060. A steal!

518369.jpeg

Should let the OSB breath. So battens are a must. Doing it without would be silly. Ireland is very humid and wet all year round. Make sure you always let air circulate

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

When I’m on the job, all I wanna see is elbows and assholes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

listermint wrote: »
    Should let the OSB breath. So battens are a must. Doing it without would be silly. Ireland is very humid and wet all year round. Make sure you always let air circulate

Plenty of air circulation possible with the profile of the cladding. You’d need to see it, then you’d understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Plenty of air circulation possible with the profile of the cladding. You’d need to see it, then you’d understand.

Post up a photo of its profile please, I'm interested in maybe using it on a fence...

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »

Looks great. One concern that crossed my mind that that the flooring sheet internally and externally in the triangle is the same sheet which could be a water ingress path. But maybe you flashed it with the door.

I was working from there this eve when I rememberd this post and that I had forgot to reply !

Yes, the flooring sheet is split right in front of the door and I placed a length of DPC between the butted joint to stop water soaking through the wood into the floor.
    I am in 2 minds whether to remove the triangular flooring before putting the decking on or not, I might just put a layer of membrane down and decking on it. Its fairly well sheltered from vertical summer rain, winter rain maybe not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I see no reason to cheap out on battens. They cost almost nothing, can only help with moisture, and don't take space as planning exemption is on internal floor area.

Also, screwing a sheet into a sheet is kinda weird. What length screw would you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Lumen wrote: »
    I see no reason to cheap out on battens. They cost almost nothing, can only help with moisture, and don't take space as planning exemption is on internal floor area.

Also, screwing a sheet into a sheet is kinda weird. What length screw would you use?

Excuse my ignorance...where are suggestion the batons to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I assume it's physical space as opposed to planning that has made the decision but yes no other reason not to put them in imo.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

50058841891_6aacececf6_b.jpg

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote: »
    50058841891_6aacececf6_b.jpg

Will you have to remove the soffit to run the cladding up under it or is there a finishing strip for the top?

Cheers @iwillhtfu...Batons as an alternative to the cladding?

Again apologize, i'm confused:confused:

The "no battens" suggestion came from

"I’d have gone without batons and just screwed the cladding directly to the OSB".

There are battens in the pics above.

That was OP but the batons are fixed the the ply wood and then the fascia is fixed to the batons allowing what looks like a 2" gap for air circulation. It also means you're not putting dozens of screws through your membrane.

The strongest way is to fix the battens through the sheeting into the studs.

The "no battens" suggestion came from

"I’d have gone without batons and just screwed the cladding directly to the OSB".

There are battens in the pics above.
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    That was OP but the batons are fixed the the ply wood and then the fascia is fixed to the batons allowing what looks like a 2" gap for air circulation. It also means you're not putting dozens of screws through your membrane.

Cheers thanks guys...I was looking at the picture thinking "Aren't those Battens?"

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Will you have to remove the soffit to run the cladding up under it or is there a finishing strip for the top?

there is a J channel ( which I ran out of ), similar to that at the corner in the pics above.

I guess running it up behind the soffit would be a good call to, if I could face removing and cutting it to fit it. The 2 sides I will be using this stuff on are very sheltered and wont be getting any rain driven into them, so having the siding run up to the soffit should suffice. membrane behind it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,125 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The strongest way is to fix the battens through the sheeting into the studs.

Also the best way to protect/waterproof the penetrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Can someone PM me the name of the cladding supplier

there is a link in the thread 2 or 3 pages back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭oinkely

https://www.adverts.ie/other-building-materials/cladding/19940840

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

He is getting grey in on Thursday!
    Told me it was light grey/RAL 7035.

What colour did you do your soffits/fascia boards in @dodzy and @RobAMerc?

Am considering the pvc cladding but had planned on 7016 so hoping mixing “see-dar” front, 7016 fascia/soffit/door/window and the 7035 cladding on 3 sides won’t look hodge podge! But the price is really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

Darando wrote: »
    Told me it was light grey/RAL 7035.

What colour did you do your soffits/fascia boards in @dodzy and @RobAMerc?

Am considering the pvc cladding but had planned on 7016 so hoping mixing “see-dar” front, 7016 fascia/soffit/door/window and the 7035 cladding on 3 sides won’t look hodge podge! But the price is really good!

Going with 2722 0015 (I think it’s ‘sand’ colour) . Fascia and soffit can wait till next week

518787.jpeg

I think it will go well with the white doors. Haven’t done anything in the last week with work so hoping to get the roof materials and front finished this weekend; to hell with the weather. Looks crap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭crisco10

Ral 7035 is quite a light grey. Most wind turbines are that colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

518369.jpeg

Is there a potential issue with having the horizontal cross members sp close to each other?
    Normally I'd see them spaced out higher and lower

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Is there a potential issue with having the horizontal cross members sp close to each other?

They're effectively one line. The offset just makes them easier to fit.

I'm not sure they do very much in a sheeted wall like this where the racking strength comes from the OSB. Makes more sense with a plasterboarded stud partition where the strength has to come from the timbers and where they're handy for fixing things to the wall, or in a subfloor where you want to spread point loads between joists.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,125 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pkiernan wrote: »

If they were high and low they’d be less effective.
    Ideally they’d be in a perfect line, but offsetting by their depth allows them to be fixed easily

rigtho - so I got cracking on the cladding this morning

I am a bit disappoointed that I wasnt skillful enough to be able to get the butt joint at the tops and over the doors so good I didnt need the mouldings - but hey.

Anyway - here is the outcome ...

50075900981_21c4f5dc41_b.jpg

Later I went and picked up some Cedar furniture stain to "Cerdarize" the cladding.

Sadly, I dont think its the colour I wanted - now I am fairly colour blind, so forgive me if I am wrong, but beneath is the colour I was going for ! I think I missed !

50075333973_4b268f27d0_b.jpg

3%20Great%20Reasons%20To%20Invest%20In%20A%20Quality%20Wooden%20Garden%20Room%20For%20Your%20Older%20Children.png?width=564&name=3%20Great%20Reasons%20To%20Invest%20In%20A%20Quality%20Wooden%20Garden%20Room%20For%20Your%20Older%20Children.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looks fantastic, fair play, looks like it will give you many years of enjoyment for your hard work, congrats.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    Looks fantastic, fair play, looks like it will give you many years of enjoyment for your hard work, congrats.

Thanks - but you get mine is the first one right ?:D

I think now that the cladding is never really gonna pull off the cedar look - I might be better off pulling it down and going trying Shou Sugi ban ( I wont try do it while its up ! :D )

I'll live with this for a while and see, or might try darken it a bit

Advertisement