Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My garden Room Build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

RobAMerc wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

Ok, all the bits about the electric .. well I can see they are written in Engish but that all means absolutely zip to me.

I'll attach my full build materials list in a minute. I optimistically thought I could do it for 4 ish when I started, I didnt. You might fair better !

Best of luck with it and publish pics please !

In short he's doing it wrong, it'll work but it's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

iwillhtfu wrote: »

thats not what I meant - I hope it didnt come across like that! I've no clue if it will work, and I am certainly in no position to tell him otherwise !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

I guess you’re a sparks and I appreciate your input and knowledge but how exactly is feeding off a spur ‘doing it wrong’?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

dodzy wrote: »
    I guess you’re a sparks and I appreciate your input and knowledge but how exactly is feeding off a spur ‘doing it wrong’?

Actually my reply will only drag the ops thread off topic. I'd reconsider wiring to DB.

Actually my reply will only drag the ops thread off topic. I'd reconsider wiring to DB.
    On the contrary, I think the OP and other interested followers would be keen to know and have a genuine interest in the topic. It’s great that skilled people like yourself post around these parts - great advice to be picked up for the avid DIYers and I for one always appreciate qualified lads sharing knowledge.

The location of my CU is typical for a 3 bed semi... just inside the hall door on the party wall, sitting on blobbed board. Running 4sq (or 6) from here would be a royal pain and impossible to do neatly without significant work. I’d happily take the option if it was a straightforward run but it’s not unfortunately. I ran 2.5sq from the spur many years ago through conduit along the top of the dividing garden wall and it’s neatly buried over the years with ivy so safe enough.

Anyway, 4 days invested. I’ll throw up pics shortly :)

518028.jpeg

518029.jpeg

518063.jpeg

518065.jpeg

518067.jpeg

• Advertisement

good stuff dodzy - you are flying along !

materials list added

quick questions dodzy, I presume you'll be taking those walls back down to put the sheeting and cladding on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

materials list added
    How many working hours do you reckon you put in to it over all ?

How many working hours do you reckon you put in to it over all ?

hmm.. I can think of about 6 full Saturdays I put in. there is also a number of other days here and there and many after work hours. So I would imagine its close to 13 or 14 full days - but that could be way off, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Aidan Harney

hmm.. I can think of about 6 full Saturdays I put in. there is also a number of other days here and there and many after work hours. So I would imagine its close to 13 or 14 full days - but that could be way off, sorry.

Good afternoon,
    I'm making this post as one of the many silent onlookers of this thread.
    Can I pull you on the use of the word sorry in closing your last post. Don't be sorry, everything here doesn't need to be bang on, anything you put up is useful as a guide to others, if it's spot on then all the better but your putting up photos and descriptions is brilliant and very much appreciated, it's only right that you're not gonna be able to answer everything for everyone.

Keep up the good work. You're giving a lot of people the confidence and the bit of a push they might need themselves.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Good afternoon,
    I'm making this post as one of the many silent onlookers of this thread.
    Can I pull you on the use of the word sorry in closing your last post. Don't be sorry, everything here doesn't need to be bang on, anything you put up is useful as a guide to others, if it's spot on then all the better but your putting up photos and descriptions is brilliant and very much appreciated, it's only right that you're not gonna be able to answer everything for everyone.

Keep up the good work. You're giving a lot of people the confidence and the bit of a push they might need themselves.
    Good luck.
    Agreed. No need to apologise for anything.

materials list added

I just read this entire list even though I couldn't build a Lego tower nevermind something like this but I'm hooked on this thread!

good stuff dodzy - you are flying along !
    quick questions dodzy, I presume you'll be taking those walls back down to put the sheeting and cladding on ?

Good spot, but no. If you look close, you’ll see a double stud at center rear. I made this frame in 2 sections so basically when I want to wall it out, I just ‘open the gate’ so to speak, slide in the 8x4 sheets and fit from behind. I left a 20” perimeter for access/inspection & maintenance. I’m not a fat lad, so plenty of room in that :)

Done for the day. Another 8 hrs in. Walled and noggin’d out. 2nd head in for roof support. Now the debate on french doors. Need 2 sets. Have to move on something tomorrow! Those 2 items will of course be the largest spend per item. Knew that going in. Ah well.

Word to any potential shed builders....whatever quantity of screws you factor in to your materials list....double it!

518126.jpeg

Good spot, but no. If you look close, you’ll see a double stud at center rear. I made this frame in 2 sections so basically when I want to wall it out, I just ‘open the gate’ so to speak, slide in the 8x4 sheets and fit from behind. I left a 20” perimeter for access/inspection & maintenance. I’m not a fat lad, so plenty of room in that :)

you must be built like a ladder ! :)
    What have you in mind for the cladding ?

Hard to say Rob. This is unfortunately where the material costs increase. I’m €1300 in to this point (this cost includes the 50mm PIR sheets for all the walls and the OSB for the front of the build (currently under a tarp in the front garden).

Treated 144mm shiplap as a finishing timber will probably cost me circa €600. I don’t mind cheaping out on the sides and back as it won’t be seen as long as it’s durable. Was looking at zero maintenance cladding/fascia earlier on line form an Irish company- nice site....but at over €40 per mtr, that won’t be happening. Happy for suggestions from anyone following your thread!

I am about to start putting this up - the lad selling it is dead on and you can deal with him a bit

I'll be posting photos tomorrow coz I have 2 hrs free in the morning and I might get cracking on it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

@dodzy
    A cable in conduit, I'm assuming plastic, buried in ivy atop a wall isn't what I would call safe. Very easy for someone to sever that while hacking away the ivy in a few years...

Hard to say Rob. This is unfortunately where the material costs increase. I’m €1300 in to this point (this cost includes the 50mm PIR sheets for all the walls and the OSB for the front of the build (currently under a tarp in the front garden).

Treated 144mm shiplap as a finishing timber will probably cost me circa €600. I don’t mind cheaping out on the sides and back as it won’t be seen as long as it’s durable. Was looking at zero maintenance cladding/fascia earlier on line form an Irish company- nice site....but at over €40 per mtr, that won’t be happening. Happy for suggestions from anyone following your thread!

GreeBo wrote: »
    @dodzy
    A cable in conduit, I'm assuming plastic, buried in ivy atop a wall isn't what I would call safe. Very easy for someone to sever that while hacking away the ivy in a few years...
    Never assume.

5GUK7_AS01?$mdmain$

• Advertisement

Never assume.

5GUK7_AS01?$mdmain$
    Fair enough so!

Did that work out cheaper overall than SWA and how long is the run? Experiencing any voltage drop with only 2.5mm2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Maybe I missed it Dodzy, what are you thinking broadband wise?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Fair enough so!

Did that work out cheaper overall than SWA and how long is the run? Experiencing any voltage drop with only 2.5mm2?

Got a few lengths for free with joiners many moons ago. Had a roll of 2.5sq at the time. So zero cost. SWA would have been doable but the conduit offers ample protection. Better I dare say than SWA braiding. In terms of loss, can’t say. Only ever used power for charging batteries and lighting. Going forward, 2 separate units as opposed to one shed but load increase will be negligible / led lighting/device charging/Panel heater (500watt) and a TV.

Run length from kitchen spur to shed is 8mtrs approx.

Maybe I missed it Dodzy, what are you thinking broadband wise?

WiFi in garden is fine from house. If any issues arise, then I’ll get extenders. Shouldn’t be an issue. Speedtest at bottom of garden over WiFi is more than adequate for Netflix/tube/Spotify. Daughter will need nothing else. No PC required

Run length from kitchen spur to shed is 8mtrs approx.

Eek! A spur from a spur?
    That's worse than crossing the streams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

WiFi in garden is fine from house. If any issues arise, then I’ll get extenders. Shouldn’t be an issue. Speedtest at bottom of garden over WiFi is more than adequate for Netflix/tube/Spotify. Daughter will need nothing else. No PC required

The pics look more remote than 8metres, well adequate. My own shed back 20m from the router used drop out on the WiFi, lucky I had 2 spare cores in an SWA to use homeplugs. ;-)

I am about to start putting this up - the lad selling it is dead on and you can deal with him a bit

I'll be posting photos tomorrow coz I have 2 hrs free in the morning and I might get cracking on it

Great option. Let me know how you get on. I’ll give him a bell tomorrow to ask a few questions. At his price, it’s almost 1/2 the price of treated shiplap! :eek:

Great option. Let me know how you get on. I’ll give him a bell tomorrow to ask a few questions. At his price, it’s almost 1/2 the price of treated shiplap! :eek:

he is a dead nice chap - gave me a discount for no real reason, thew a few bits in for nothing and delivered for 20 quid ( provided I accepted when it suited him )

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

You considered corrugated or box metal profile? Looking into it myself but haven’t got the costs yet!

• Advertisement

Darando wrote: »
    You considered corrugated or box metal profile? Looking into it myself but haven’t got the costs yet!
    not really, but for the sides and back, once weather proof integrity & longevity is solid, price will be the key! Lowest wins.

Advertisement