Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My garden Room Build

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Jackben75 wrote: »
    what an amazing job by both men, well done. I too am about to start a built, however i was wondering @Robamerc - would/did you of considered pine cladding? I know cedar is all the rage but pine looks like a good choice too, i am thinking of going with Shou Sugi Ban look. Just wondering why you went Cedar?

I'll take this as a huge compliment. This is pine ( or some white softwood ) which I stained to preserve and look like cedar. If I remember correctly it is however treated so it will last a bit longer.

I was very tempted to Shou Sugi Ban the lot too, but at the time I had really run out of steam and was very busy with work so needed to get it finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

listermint wrote: »
    Meh swings and roundabouts. I think my porch looks great. There's an element of fakary trying to yellow the timber every year to maintain a fake state. I love the fact it ages. This timber here was recycled from an office block so has been up on the side of a building for around 8 years.

Hideous is well... An exaggeration

I like the look of the aged cedar but I can see why some would rather the warmer more modern clean finish. The uniform joins there though would have me using the back door more often :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

Meh swings and roundabouts. I think my porch looks great. There's an element of fakary trying to yellow the timber every year to maintain a fake state. I love the fact it ages. This timber here was recycled from an office block so has been up on the side of a building for around 8 years.

Hideous is well... An exaggeration

Yours looks really well Listermint. Compliments the build and door colour very well. I’d wonder though is it a bit sheltered from the harsh elements? Some of the cedar I’ve seen particularly on larger builds such as apartment complexes did not fare nearly as well as yours, with any hints of the original cedar colour long since gone whereas yours has retained well. Great job by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jackben75

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I'll take this as a huge compliment. This is pine ( or some white softwood ) which I stained to preserve and look like cedar. If I remember correctly it is however treated so it will last a bit longer.

I was very tempted to Shou Sugi Ban the lot too, but at the time I had really run out of steam and was very busy with work so needed to get it finished.

well this (pine approach) is very interesting, not to mention quite cost effective for me :D great job

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dodzy wrote: »
    Yours looks really well Listermint. Compliments the build and door colour very well. I’d wonder though is it a bit sheltered from the harsh elements? Some of the cedar I’ve seen particularly on larger builds such as apartment complexes did not fare nearly as well as yours, with any hints of the original cedar colour long since gone whereas yours has retained well. Great job by the way.

Could argue it has some over hang and east facing. The worst timber cladding I've seen is an apartment complex on the longmile road ballfe road junction. Just crap. Unsure if it's ceder but I'd assume it is it wouldn't have been as expensive at the time. I do believe environment conditions can harm it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Could argue it has some over hang and east facing. The worst timber cladding I've seen is an apartment complex on the longmile road ballfe road junction. Just crap. Unsure if it's ceder but I'd assume it is it wouldn't have been as expensive at the time. I do believe environment conditions can harm it

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ycDtVoju2Z9yi42u6

Looks like cedar to me. In this case it's not helped by what look like cheap white PVC windows and guttering, and that horrendous brick. But the architecture is all wrong for timber cladding.

Good architecture balances form and detail and draws the eye to specific elements.

Timber cladding adds an incredible amount of detail, at several scales (the boards, the fixings, the weathering, grain). So cladding looks good when you simplify the overall form, hide or tone down other details, and draw the eye to what remains.

In this case you have all that going on with the cladding, plus a mess of other details around the balconies, the brick ground floor, the weird non matching cills, the bright white windows. The brain skips around confused, unable to settle.

Screenshot-20210611-061331.png

Compare to ..

11a3493f6735d86e5eb0707a43105602.jpg

Blackbutt-Cladding-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Emptying the piss-pots out the windows didn't help!
    And what's the crack with alternate joins all lined up?
    Can't be difficult to get full length planks, what are they, 5mtrs?
    The bottom two look good, in fairness.

Emptying the piss-pots out the windows didn't help!
    And what's the crack with alternate joins all lined up?
    Can't be difficult to get full length planks, what are they, 5mtrs?
    The bottom two look good, in fairness.

Those vertical spans are about 7m. I don't know if it's possible to get cedar that long, but I've never seen it in Ireland.

The hitler moustache section on the top balcony is funny too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I’d probably be in the

dodzy wrote: »

You’ve kind of touched on the issue.
    Cedar cladding is suppose to age and go silver. To do this and look well it needs to be detailed correctly to age uniformly and avoid a patchy look.
    Exposed or shelter is less important that uniform exposure.

I like it aged well. I like the original maintained.
    But I hate when it’s just stuck on it a haphazard way. Which covers most applications tbh.

Posted some pics of my work in progress larch cladding if anyone is interested.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117395671&postcount=295

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Posted some pics of my work in progress larch cladding if anyone is interested.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117395671&postcount=295

That's very nice and great attention to detail. Where did you source the larch and dare I ask was it expensive? Timber seems to be the new crypto :D

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    That's very nice and great attention to detail. Where did you source the larch and dare I ask was it expensive? Timber seems to be the new crypto :D

MTS / woodcomponents.ie

I've tried to forget how expensive it was. Something like 50/sqm including Sioo:X factory applied and VAT.

As soon as you depart from ordinary construction timber these things get quite expensive.

Oh, regarding different tastes, my wife came out to see it the other day.

Me: So, what you do think?
    Her: It'll look great when it's painted.

FFS, I give up.

MTS / woodcomponents.ie

I've tried to forget how expensive it was. Something like 50/sqm including Sioo:X factory applied and VAT.

As soon as you depart from ordinary construction timber these things get quite expensive.

Yup eye wateringly so. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭chooseusername

FFS, I give up.
    You'll come home some day and it will be painted 50 shades of grey.
    That job is different class though, full length planks with no joins look a lot better.

FFS, I give up.

Reminds me of my mother in law getting a lad in to skim the walls in the kitchen only to call up and there she is putting lining paper on the wall before painting 🙈

That job is different class though, full length planks with no joins look a lot better.
    Ha, that's only on the front.

The sides are going to have joins because the wall height is 2.3m and the boards are 4.0m long.

Could I have ordered 4.8m boards? Don't know, can't remember.

The back is going to have whatever scraps are left over!

I actually like a few joins, if they're well executed, on an otherwise blank wall. Complete uniformity is a bit overpowering.

But maybe I'm just retro-justifying my own bad planning. :pac:

Advertisement