Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yep, well done by them. It won't matter a ****e to the Tories though, the man has completely revolutionised politics to them: any element of truth or honesty 100% optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Don’t think this will blow over, he will be gone by Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Clegg wrote: »
    A breaking story from the Mirror about Cummings breaching lockdown on a second occasion. Brilliant trap laid by them. Get the Tories to peddle their justifications for his transgression. Had to make sure someone was there to mind the kids etc. Then ram the second breach down their throats.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1264262838622830601?s=19

Time to get a bag of popcorn before I browse twitter to see how the sycophant cabinet MPs talk their way out of this.
    That is journalistic brutality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Don’t think this will blow over, he will be gone by Monday.
    I dont think it will blow over but 0 chance he'll be gone Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Ah I see they're taking the "fake news" route as exemplified by the buffoon across the water.

Not bothering to deny it or argue the point, just call it lies.

I'm sure many in England will lap it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

They’re going full Trump and blaming it on a media campaign. Caught out on the fact he lied about the police calling. Now a second trip up weeks after he was over it. They’re just going to brazen it out and accuse everyone of politicizing it who questions them. Interestingly Bobo hasn’t tweeted in support of him, remaining at a safe distance to throw him under the bus if needed.

Actually it seems Bobo is going to come out to bat for him, even after the second trip.

3-ADC3-EC0-7-D5-F-4-B3-F-BDE1-82284-FF94639.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

A good few Tory MPs saying he should go. Steve Baker being one of them. :eek:

And Simon Hoare.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This stuff with Cummings is fascinating to watch alright

As for the Covid threads, I read them but rarely post, they've been taken over by the extremists on both sides but there are a small handful of moderates whose posts I look out for. I'd be of the 'we should ease all restrictions earlier, if it makes sense" camp. Getting a bit sick of how the likes of Hartis and Holohan phrase their messaging though, the tone is poor

In the real world has anyone noticed that in general people seem to be just nicer?

It's a lovely day here, I'm planning on spending it in the garden undoing the damage wrought by the wind on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Down here they’re easing things fairly quickly now. Technically bars aren’t allowed open but most are opening as restaurants (very different to most Irish pubs to be fair). I’d say by end of June most businesses will be open here. Supposedly they’re going to open the Spanish border soon and at that point they’ll be hoping for tourism from Spain/France. Not a lot of optimism that Irish/UK tourism has much chance of resuming this summer. There hasn’t been a new case in this area for over a week now

Watching Shapps this morning SKY and you would be left with the impression that Cummings is the head of Government at the moment. If I had to bet I would say that the only person who can make Cummings leave is Cummings and I'm surprised people aren't more alarmed by this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Well, the British electorate gave a resounding mandate to a PM who isn't very fond of democracy. I don't think anyone will really care in a week or two.

And if they do, well, it's their own fault. This is exactly what the British public wanted. They asked to be treated like this.

Bookies now offering 5/6 for DC to be gone by the 1st June.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Bookies now offering 5/6 for DC to be gone by the 1st June.

Retired a while back. Hell of a ten.

Boris Johnson confirms who the Prime Minister is and it isn't him.

I am genuinely shocked by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Boris Johnson confirms who the Prime Minister is and it isn't him.

I am genuinely shocked by this.
    unfortunately I'm not. It's so depressing that theyve gone this way and I pity what's going to happen next over there for so many of family and good friends based there

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's hard to be really 'shocked' by anything that Bojo states these days or the actions of the party.

Mind boggling, yes, but it's just sort of expected now. It's mental. The fact he chose to say that Cummings "acted responsibly, legally and with integrity" doesn't even make sense given the context.

Bet who ever posted that is far more likely to lose their job than Cummings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Already deleted by the looks of it, what did it say?

Bazzo wrote: »
    Already deleted by the looks of it, what did it say?

0867-AE34-AF85-4-DA8-B447-5-DB4446-B3714.jpg

• Advertisement

Truth twisters? Just call it what it is, lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

There is no more effective emetic than the sight of Spaffer Johnson and his posse of useless scrotes adopting a high moral tone in defence of the Gollum Cummings.

Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab was a 13 year old boy from Brixton. He died in King’s College Hospital after testing positive for corona-virus. His family were not allowed to visit him and were also unable to attend his funeral because of self-isolation rules. But it's fine for Dominic Cummings to travel 260 miles in a car with his possibly infected wife and their child to be near his sister for support. Despite the fact that Cummings personal assistant lives just two roads away from his London home and Cummings wife's brother and sister both live in London. So that's perfectly reasonable. No double standards there, move along now nothing to see here.

A man arrogant enough to do what Cummings has done is clearly too arrogant to resign. A man as weak and rudderless as Johnson is surely too weak to sack him. It would be akin to the monkey sacking the organ grinder. Unless a good many more Tory MPs come out against Cummings, the story will presumably run and run. If, however, it emerges that Cummings lied to Johnson about being spoken to by the police or visiting Barnard Castle Park– and either the police are lying, or Cummings is. Why would a man who spent months concocting appalling lies for Vote Leave to vomit out to the dumb, racist, cannon fodder, window lickers who vote for Bloody Stupid Johnston, care about spewing out a few more. If you're infected with the virus why travel to your elderly parents' house? If you're infected with the virus why travel with a child in a car for 260 miles? Dominic Cummings isn't so much a rotten apple, but a rotten barrel holding all the bad apples together. He's a political spiv.

Pratchett reference there, Jaco?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Pratchett reference there, Jaco?

Yep. I hope Starmer turns out to be Vetinari.

One man, one vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Anyone watched the Netflix Jordan documentary? I wouldn't be the biggest basketball fan, but reviews are pretty favorable, so I might have to give it a look-see.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Buer

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Anyone watched the Netflix Jordan documentary? I wouldn't be the biggest basketball fan, but reviews are pretty favorable, so I might have to give it a look-see.

It's very good and gives a great insight into what made him tick. He is an incredible competitor but simply not a particularly nice person. He reminds me of Roy Keane a lot but I don't think he has the charm that Keane can switch on when he's interested. Jordan's production company were involved so he'd have had input into the final cut. Keep that in mind so, when it paints him in an unflattering light, the truth is potentially somewhat worse. Horace Grant has come out with scathing criticism since it finished and Scottie Pippen is reportedly unhappy also. For anyone who followed the NBA closely, they'll be familiar with stories of Jordan and his behaviour over the years.

Some of the most interesting parts are around the supporting characters. The likes of Pippen, Rodman and Phil Jackson get a lot of coverage and come across very well for the most part. Phil Jackson is possibly the biggest winner from the whole thing.

All in all, well worth a watch in a time when we're starved of sporting coverage. His ability and drive were simply incredible. It does feel very hurried and almost incomplete to me though. Some of the stories that were touched upon in early episodes didn't get any further development such as the relationship with their GM which was a key factor through their success and the eventual break up of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Even Daily Mail turning on Cummings/Johnson now. Ridiculous judgment not to get rid of him today, Johnson must do it tomorrow.

Posted without comment but quite a positive environment being displayed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Terrible miscalculation by Johnson really. By deciding that Cummings doesn't get hung separately, he's ensured that they're hung together. However long that takes.

Advertisement