Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Johnson’s government would fall apart if he sacked Cummings anyway. He’d lose everyone loyal to Cummings and he’s burned bridges with everyone who despises him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I've seen interesting suggestions that the switch from "stay home" to "stay alert" coincided almost exactly with Cummings' issues.

Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Good thing there's only four and a half more years of this clown show to look forward to. The fact the Tories got elected on a mandate of "getting it done" is absurd, I really do not understand the electorate at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Would there be anything to be said for a separate British politics thread? I’m almost gagging for a decent gridiron discussion...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Would there be anything to be said for a separate British politics thread? I’m almost gagging for a decent gridiron discussion...

3 months to go for any NFL talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

We could talk about Jacinda Ardern's ability to stay on her feet during a 5.9 strength earthquake.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

3 months to go for any NFL talk.

If even then...

I suspect there will be some false starts in all these sports re-opening plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Oh boy, are you in luck. ESPN are going to do a Tom Brady documentary similar to the Jordan one in a continuation of "People Buer Hates" series. John Hayes is rumoured to be in negotiations too.

30 for 30: Pashun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Bazzo wrote: »
    Good thing there's only four and a half more years of this clown show to look forward to. The fact the Tories got elected on a mandate of "getting it done" is absurd, I really do not understand the electorate at all.

It was also about Corbyn and the Labour Party's loonytoon 2nd referendum/no referendum/ maybe/ yes/ no rubbish and the fact that Corbyn is despised by millions. He was unelectable and stuffed into the leadership role by a mad decision to allow a mob of cretins to elect the leader. It was akin to the days of Militant and Derek Hatton back in the 80s. That was fought off but they never went away. This time round the lunatics were allowed to control the keys to the asylum via a party within the party in the guise of Momentum. Top that off with the fact that Corbyn is as thick as pigsh1t.

Add in the Lib Dems electing on the face of it, a smart leader who turned out to be a complete fruitcake and instead of a good support it collapsed when the Libs agreed with her stupidity and arrogance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Anyone watch the golf last night? Far more entertaining than last week. Tom Brady was absolutely hacking around the course until this shot on the 7th

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1264687921392730120?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I see some pepole are trying to turn Varadkar's trip to the Phoenix Park into a Dom Cummings esque lockdown breach.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clegg wrote: »
    I see some pepole are trying to turn Varadkar's trip to the Phoenix Park into a Dom Cummings esque lockdown breach.

just shinners trying to point score

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

sydthebeat wrote: »
    just shinners trying to point score

And that weirdo Christian fundie John McGuirk. But I'm convinced he's trumpeting Leo's 'lack of moral authority' for much more sinister reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Synode wrote: »
    Anyone watch the golf last night? Far more entertaining than last week. Tom Brady was absolutely hacking around the course until this shot on the 7th

I actually did see that when I switched on CNN expecting the news but watched a few minutes to see what it was like. Looks like I timed it well as that seems to have been the highlight.

Just heard about this press conference. For some reason this great scene jumped into my head:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

jacothelad wrote: »
    It was also about Corbyn and the Labour Party's loonytoon 2nd referendum/no referendum/ maybe/ yes/ no rubbish and the fact that Corbyn is despised by millions. He was unelectable and stuffed into the leadership role by a mad decision to allow a mob of cretins to elect the leader. It was akin to the days of Militant and Derek Hatton back in the 80s. That was fought off but they never went away. This time round the lunatics were allowed to control the keys to the asylum via a party within the party in the guise of Momentum. Top that off with the fact that Corbyn is as thick as pigsh1t.

Add in the Lib Dems electing on the face of it, a smart leader who turned out to be a complete fruitcake and instead of a good support it collapsed when the Libs agreed with her stupidity and arrogance.

Problem is, Labour's support straddles the metropolitan crowd in London and other big cities (remain) and the working class crowd in suburban industrial towns (leave). They were doomed if they picked a side. Operation fudge damn near got them elected in the snap GE in 2017. But in hindsight, the public moved on by the next GE, and wanted something more definitive, more closure, whatever it was. The left across the world now face the unenviable task of winning back working class voters who are essentially right wing in most respects, and increasingly hypnotized by nationalist rhetoric and media propaganda.

Corbyn's problem with brexit stemmed from his approach right from the start. Being ambivalent in a campaign just allows for confusion and from there it just got more confused. They had a policy to oppose it and he was not 100% behind that. 70% by his own admission. Had he taken a firm stand at that point, it may well have not even got over the line.

If anyone wants to watch the end of the Johnson government tune in.

Utterly embarrassing.

I needed to 'test drive' to see if I was well enough to drive home so I went to this nice castle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Utterly embarrassing.

I needed to 'test drive' to see if I was well enough to drive home so I went to this nice castle.

Ah but the poor chaps eyesight was affected by his illness :pac:

Where's your compassion Venjur?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Synode wrote: »

I didn't watch any of it but that does not look like the swing or ball strike of a hacker!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Utterly embarrassing.

I really doubt it.

"We all have a million things on our plate."

That part is a big misstep.
    Everyone has things on their plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Flicking between Sky news and BBC news, very obvious difference in the captions at the bottom of the screen on both stations.

BBC v sympathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The fact Cummings is doubling down on it and refusing to apologise is wild. Especially given we've already seen Calderwood the CMO for Scotland resign over something similar, and Ferguson a member of the advisory group for breaching the rules.

Sturgeon is slating Bojo on Twitter over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Utterly embarrassing.

Sounds like the chap doesn’t know whether he’s coming or going...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

An unelected political aid addressing the nation to tell blatant lies about why he's allowed break the rules and they're not. I feel like I'm living in ****ing bizarroland these days.

No Covid related deaths today. 59 new cases. That's really good news.

kuang1 wrote: »
    Flicking between Sky news and BBC news, very obvious difference in the captions at the bottom of the screen on both stations.

BBC v sympathetic.

Laura Kuenssberg absolutely softballing questions to him that appear almost prearranged.

The BBC have completely given up any impression of impartiality.

• Advertisement

Utterly embarrassing.

Unless it's the beginning of an exceptionally lengthy and drawn out end, I doubt it. I would wager there's absolutely zero appetite for a 3rd general election in 3 years. The death total for Britain could double in the next month and it wouldn't trigger an election right now.

Advertisement