Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

DGRulz wrote: »
    Is anyone else being bombarded with surveys from their management about how you're coping WFH? I swear I've had at least 3 or 4 from my facilities people and had to fill out an 8 page one from HR the other day that had many of the same questions I've already answered on previous surveys.

It's already been mentioned in the thread, but they're so pointless.

Some people like working from home because they've a good work ethic, they enjoy it, and they're just effective now but they don't have the commute. And some people like it because they don't have a good work ethic and now no one is around to see.

Both of them are the same data point on a survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

DGRulz wrote: »
    Is anyone else being bombarded with surveys from their management about how you're coping WFH? I swear I've had at least 3 or 4 from my facilities people and had to fill out an 8 page one from HR the other day that had many of the same questions I've already answered on previous surveys.

We only had the one that was pretty much just a feeler to see if anyone had any issues in terms of setup and is it affecting your day to day abilities, but that sounds like a nightmare if nobodies really correlating any of the stuff that's sent back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Is Ireland's current infection rate really low enough to start reopening some businesses? Obviously rates have decreased and NPHET has far more data than any of us, but still seems like we're still a bit too high.

R0 is reportedly between .4 and .6 so I suppose that gives us some leeway. Maybe I'm more worried about people not keeping their physical distance? Dunno. I think some of us will have a hard time readjusting.

Clegg wrote: »
    Is Ireland's current infection rate really low enough to start reopening some businesses? Obviously rates have decreased and NPHET has far more data than any of us, but still seems like we're still a bit too high.

They've said the estimated reproduction rate at the moment is between 0.4 and 0.6, which is a lot lower than a standard flu etc. The original key aim was to bring it below 1.0 to stop mass infection (considering the original estimates were around 2.6), and I believe 0.5 is considered a stable rate.

We'd probably have to be in lockdown for a lot longer to bring it any lower, and likely a more strict lockdown. And even then it's possible it wouldn't be of any help.

London's congestion charge being bumped up by £3.50 to £15 and being extended to 7 days a week when it's brought back in June, yet the tube and other public transport is one of the biggest breeding grounds for the virus.

That's a complete head scratcher.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

London's congestion charge being bumped up by £3.50 to £15 and being extended to 7 days a week when it's brought back in June, yet the tube and other public transport is one of the biggest breeding grounds for the virus.

People will be more inclined to drive because the tube will be seen as a breeding ground. If even a tiny percentage of people start driving instead of taking public transport the city will grind to a halt. While it might make sense that people should drive in it is simply not possible.

Lots of cities making provisions for more cycling and walking by taking road space from cars. May seem odd but its the only way cities will be able to keep moving.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    People will be more inclined to drive because the tube will be seen as a breeding ground. If even a tiny percentage of people start driving instead of taking public transport the city will grind to a halt. While it might make sense that people should drive in it is simply not possible.

Lots of cities making provisions for more cycling and walking by taking road space from cars. May seem odd but its the only way cities will be able to keep moving.

I understand that but the government are also telling people to avoid public transport where possible yet start getting back to work.

Walking and cycling might be grand in a place like Dublin where commutes would generally be maybe 5km or so, but there's a lot of people who'd be heading in and out of London from the commuter belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

To be fair, we seem to be doing the exact same thing in Dublin.

I am all for pedestrianizing college green, and I'll jump on whatever excuse we are using to do it. But making the city LESS car friendly right now is completely counter-intuitive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I understand that but the government are also telling people to avoid public transport where possible yet start getting back to work.

Walking and cycling might be grand in a place like Dublin where commutes would generally be maybe 5km or so, but there's a lot of people who'd be heading in and out of London from the commuter belt.

Its physically not possible for them to drive in.

It may seem counter-intuitive but Dublin and London are some of the most congested cities in the world with the level of car travel they already had. It will simply be impossible to get in and out of the city if more people try and drive.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Stheno wrote: »
    Exactly the same here for me, M-F is fine, but dear God the weekends just drag.

Not helped by the bank holidays

This is my first weekend off in a while after two cancelled bank holidays in a row. Let the ****er drag as much as it wants!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There’s always been people like that. Over years people develop the social skills to distract from that in an office environment. That’s been taken away now. I’d say some companies are absolutely seeing major problems with that. I’ve a small enough team and it’s not an issue for us but we’re all well versed in remote work over the years.

Anyone who does look to shift their performance management should look to take the lead of companies who’ve been doing this for years with remote employees. Knowing many Irish companies, there’ll be some disasters where companies try to reinvent the wheel!

There’s going to be a MASSIVE disruption in Dublin in the next few years. First jobs that were acceptable in an office environment will suddenly seem awful remotely, and people will look to move on there. Next there’ll be people who are being let go rightly or wrongly in the new remote work climate. Then you’ve got the fact commercial real estate is going to be absolutely insane with people trying to break leases now a big portion of their staff want to work remotely. Then you’ll have downstream effects of that on businesses across Ireland. Then what happens to the real estate market if you don’t have to live in Dublin for work? Then what happens to wages if 50% of candidates can live in Sligo or Donegal? What happens to Dublin culture if everyone living in Dublin is suddenly from Dublin (and therefore completely uncultured)? Will they turn the Abbey theatre into a bowling hall/quazar for the Dubs? And so on and so forth...

There must be at least one downside to all of this though?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I know nothing about the Bundesliga, but for the next month I shall be it's biggest fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Atmosphere still better than the aviva stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

awec wrote: »
    Think I'd only wear a mask tbh. Probably not a bad idea for some trades in general with the crap they're inhaling all day.

You are going to need to put sunscreen onsome unusual 'bits'....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Clegg wrote: »
    I know nothing about the Bundesliga, but for the next month I shall be it's biggest fan.

Watched Dortmund earlier, it was different, but still watchable.

Any live sport will do.

There is Golf on Sky tomorrow night as well.

What a weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That's two consecutive days of < 100 new cases.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,114 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That's two consecutive days of < 100 new cases.

Our R0 must be right down now at this stage.... Possibly even to the point of identifying clusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,258 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Our R0 must be right down now at this stage.... Possibly even to the point of identifying clusters.
    Simon Harris was saying it was between 0.4 and 0.6 on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I see Brian Moore has somehow ended up challenging Arron Banks to a boxing match on twitter. Fingers crossed that goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,258 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Bazzo wrote: »
    I see Brian Moore has somehow ended up challenging Arron Banks to a boxing match on twitter. Fingers crossed that goes ahead.
    I'd definitely pay to see that. Perhaps he could nominate a charity?

• Advertisement

Interesting polling coming out of the US suggests a win for Trump is drifting away from him. He's been campaigning non stop since the last election and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he pulls out late in the race if a win is beyond his grasp, rather than facing defeat on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Interesting polling coming out of the US suggests a win for Trump is drifting away from him. He's been campaigning non stop since the last election and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he pulls out late in the race if a win is beyond his grasp, rather than facing defeat on the day.

How active is Biden's campaign?
    Or is he just letting Trump implode and watching on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭b.gud

Nah he'll still go through with it and if he doesn't win he'll just spend the rest of his days ranting on twitter about the election being rigged, crooked Dems etc etc

kuang1 wrote: »
    How active is Biden's campaign?
    Or is he just letting Trump implode and watching on?

People are claiming Biden is letting Trump hang himself but Biden is really trying his hardest to campaign and do town Hall meetings from his basement studio. He's been marred with technical difficulties. There's not much he can do right now.

I'm tempted to put a bet on Biden to win. I think those who were on the fence last time and leaned towards Trump will go against him this time.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,114 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

People are claiming Biden is letting Trump hang himself but Biden is really trying his hardest to campaign and do town Hall meetings from his basement studio. He's been marred with technical difficulties. There's not much he can do right now.

I'm tempted to put a bet on Biden to win. I think those who were on the fence last time and leaned towards Trump will go against him this time.

I've a couple of bets on Biden at 6/5

But not seeing trump move at all from 10/11 is slightly worrying considering ALL the embarrassing fcuk ups and disgraceful actions he's been responsible for over the last four years, and especially the last three months.

Biden was the front runner for the Democrats because he's the most likely to lead to a senate win, he is much more popular with undecideds and moderates than either Warren or Sanders. He's also a bit of a sneer and he'll make a show of Trump if they ever find themselves in a one to one debate.

From an Irish point of view Biden is 3rd generation Irish American and a win in November would be a significant boon as the UK likely crashes out in December with no deal.

Speaking of which I see Boris is a no show again today for PMQ's. I wonder has he had enough - has completely vanished in the middle of a once in a century crisis.

I think it makes sense for Biden to keep a fairly low profile. It could be turned against him if he’s seen to be too actively campaigning against a sitting administration during an emergency.

But if other countries have opened up without too much disaster then you’d have to imagine there comes a point where he can start to point at where the country COULD be if they had handled it properly and he could make some strong gains at that point. It’s still way too early for me to be putting much stock in polling or odds. Everything will be thrown out the window when the real race begins and the mudslinging starts for real, it always seems to come down to a battle of personalities that has almost zero grasp on the realities of the role. It’s like everyone starts to think they’re electing a dictator when the position has little actual legislative power. If the democrats had the option to win the house and the senate but lose the presidency for another 4 years you’d have to imagine/hope they’d jump at the chance to take it.

I think it makes sense for Biden to keep a fairly low profile. It could be turned against him if he’s seen to be too actively campaigning against a sitting administration during an emergency.

But if other countries have opened up without too much disaster then you’d have to imagine there comes a point where he can start to point at where the country COULD be if they had handled it properly and he could make some strong gains at that point. It’s still way too early for me to be putting much stock in polling or odds. Everything will be thrown out the window when the real race begins and the mudslinging starts for real, it always seems to come down to a battle of personalities that has almost zero grasp on the realities of the role. It’s like everyone starts to think they’re electing a dictator when the position has little actual legislative power. If the democrats had the option to win the house and the senate but lose the presidency for another 4 years you’d have to imagine/hope they’d jump at the chance to take it.

They would definitely take both houses and leave Trump in the oval over winning the Presidency and failing to hold both houses.

I think it's right to be measured about how things will play out in November, but I'm optimistic that some level common sense and decency will eventually prevail.

They would definitely take both houses and leave Trump in the oval over winning the Presidency and failing to hold both houses.

I think it's right to be measured about how things will play out in November, but I'm optimistic that some level common sense and decency will eventually prevail.

I’m far from optimistic yet anyway. America is far removed from the realms of common sense. It’s a very silly place.

• Advertisement

I’m far from optimistic yet anyway. America is far removed from the realms of common sense. It’s a very silly place.

It's like if the Connacht team thread was a whole country.

Advertisement