Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭b.gud

It's like if the Connacht team thread was a whole country.

tenor.gif?itemid=13471753

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

The more coverage Trump gets, the more unpopular he is. When they stopped the nightly press conferences, his approval rating went up few points.

The election will be a referendum on Trump, it doesn’t really matter what Biden does. There isn’t much upside to Biden doing extensive press.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

How do I multiple-thank a post?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he pulls out late in the race if a win is beyond his grasp, rather than facing defeat on the day.

I still think he didn't plan on winning it in 2016. I think he only did it for profile and so he could say the system was rigged against him. Only problem here is that he did go on to win it!

He can't say the system is rigged against him now and his profile has changed massively from what it was.

I don't see him pulling out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The social distancing recommendation seems to have gone out the window.

I went for a cycle about 2 hours ago. Genuinely hundreds round the canal especially at Portobello. Nobody bothering to stay 2 metres from anyone else. Groups sitting on top of each other. As I came back that way, there were 3 garda vans and 2 squad cars trying to disperse everyone.
    Mind you, I wonder have the medical community given any consideration to weed and 2 litre bottles of cider in the fight against Corona?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,115 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

mfceiling wrote: »
    The social distancing recommendation seems to have gone out the window.

I went for a cycle about 2 hours ago. Genuinely hundreds round the canal especially at Portobello. Nobody bothering to stay 2 metres from anyone else. Groups sitting on top of each other. As I came back that way, there were 3 garda vans and 2 squad cars trying to disperse everyone.
    Mind you, I wonder have the medical community given any consideration to weed and 2 litre bottles of cider in the fight against Corona?

same here... kids, teenagers and adults out and about today as if it were any other day. Groups of more than 4 teenagers definitely not social distancing.

it will be a big test on how well or otherwise we have been doing up to now.

i expect cases to rise of course, its inevitable, but hopefully not enough to warrant another lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I've a couple of bets on Biden at 6/5

But not seeing trump move at all from 10/11 is slightly worrying considering ALL the embarrassing fcuk ups and disgraceful actions he's been responsible for over the last four years, and especially the last three months.

Trump is currently 43.5% popularity.

Looking at some recent incumbents who went up for re-election, and tracking their popularity at this stage in the game, i.e., 1200 days into their 1st (or only) term:

Carter 39.6% - not re-elected
    Reagan 52.1% - re-elected
    Daddy Bush 39.5% - not re-elected
    Clinton 56.4% - re-elected
    Baby Bush 45.4% - re-elected
    Obama - 48.2% - re-elected

So Trump really couldn't be more on the knife-edge - nobody from this list who polled lower than him got re-elected, but everyone who polled higher than him got back in.

I like your bet though. Mine is on Trump to lose Texas.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Trump is currently 43.5% popularity.

Looking at some recent incumbents who went up for re-election, and tracking their popularity at this stage in the game, i.e., 1200 days into their 1st (or only) term:

Carter 39.6% - not re-elected
    Reagan 52.1% - re-elected
    Daddy Bush 39.5% - not re-elected
    Clinton 56.4% - re-elected
    Baby Bush 45.4% - re-elected
    Obama - 48.2% - re-elected

So Trump really couldn't be more on the knife-edge - nobody from this list who polled lower than him got re-elected, but everyone who polled higher than him got back in.

I like your bet though. Mine is on Trump to lose Texas.

I don't think precedent will provide much insight into this election, it's completely unique from any previous election given the nature of the Trump presidency and the existence of the covid pandemic.

It's also not impossible that American democracy might actually fail by the end of the year. The country is being run by a criminal enterprise / oligarchy and there is no way they are leaving this in the hands of voters if they can avoid it.

If the election maintains some level of integrity then Trump needs to win Michigan, Wisconsin and Pensylvania again. He is polling badly in all three as an incumbent and moderates in Michigan have very urgent reasons to vote against him currently. Florida is impossible to call at the moment but it's low covid outbreak probably helps Trump (if the figures are accurate).

The much bigger issue for Trump is that Arizona is trending away from him quite dramatically given he won big there in 2016. Virginia polling suggests that Biden has an almost record lead on Trump there. A lot of former campaign strategists for previous presidential races (both Dem and Rep) have been making the point that either the swings away from Trump in a place like Arizona are a blip or the polling there is more accurately reflecting wider voter dissatisfaction that isn't percolating into overall trends.

It's going to be an absurdly volatile race and anything could happen. Add in ongoing interference from Russia / China and I fear it's all going to get extremely messy by November.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I don't think precedent will provide much insight into this election, it's completely unique from any previous election given the nature of the Trump presidency and the existence of the covid pandemic.

It's also not impossible that American democracy might actually fail by the end of the year. The country is being run by a criminal enterprise / oligarchy and there is no way they are leaving this in the hands of voters if they can avoid it.

If the election maintains some level of integrity then Trump needs to win Michigan, Wisconsin and Pensylvania again. He is polling badly in all three as an incumbent and moderates in Michigan have very urgent reasons to vote against him currently. Florida is impossible to call at the moment but it's low covid outbreak probably helps Trump (if the figures are accurate).

The much bigger issue for Trump is that Arizona is trending away from him quite dramatically given he won big there in 2016. Virginia polling suggests that Biden has an almost record lead on Trump there. A lot of former campaign strategists for previous presidential races (both Dem and Rep) have been making the point that either the swings away from Trump in a place like Arizona are a blip or the polling there is more accurately reflecting wider voter dissatisfaction that isn't percolating into overall trends.

It's going to be an absurdly volatile race and anything could happen. Add in ongoing interference from Russia / China and I fear it's all going to get extremely messy by November.

Arizona used to be solid red but it's been trending purple for years because of their vast, young hispanic population which leans heavily democratic. They're ahead of the same curve that will eventually put Texas back into play as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

https://twitter.com/Nicoxw1/status/1263244665647697921?s=19

Another great moment from our favourite intellectual giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

troyzer wrote: »
    Arizona used to be solid red but it's been trending purple for years because of their vast, young hispanic population which leans heavily democratic. They're ahead of the same curve that will eventually put Texas back into play as well.

It’s well populated suburbs (Phoenix in Arizona, Dallas etc in Texas) too where middle class folks were typically happy to vote for republicans like McCain but are now moving away from the Trumpified republicans, especially women.

That was major part of why republicans lost Arizona senate in 18 and why Beto O’Rourke was so competitive in Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If Biden wants to win this election by a record number, he should nominate Dubbya as his VP. Guarantee to take Texas and a few other states, and also send a longer term message to all that both sides of the political divide need to unite in the fight against populism.

He has obviously committed to picking a woman, but the Dubbya play would have otherwise been a masterstroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Neil3030 wrote: »
    If Biden wants to win this election by a record number, he should nominate Dubbya as his VP. Guarantee to take Texas and a few other states, and also send a longer term message to all that both sides of the political divide need to unite in the fight against populism.

He has obviously committed to picking a woman, but the Dubbya play would have otherwise been a masterstroke.

Considering many democrats consider W to have been a large catalyst in republicans rigging the system and eroding rights it would have sent a strong message alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Gonna be an interesting race once the gloves come off on both sides, really could go either way at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This story about Biden telling yer man Charlamagne that if he doesn't know who to vote for then he "aint black" is at least giving me hope that this could well be by far the funniest election of modern times.

Biden's "Corn Pop" story is already the stuff of legend and we haven't even got started yet. Just like last election gave us Jeb Bush saying "Mac Book Pro Baby", Biden may not spend any years in the White House, but he could spend decades in the hearts and minds of people who love nonsense.

Amazing to see the current Cabinet of a country come out in force to shill for an advisor who has clearly and unquestionably committed a sacking offence.

Cummings must really know where each and every body is buried. An advisor getting full public cabinet support. Madness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Amazing to see the current Cabinet of a country come out in force to shill for an advisor who has clearly and unquestionably committed a sacking offence.

Cummings must really know where each and every body is buried. An advisor getting full public cabinet support. Madness.

He worked in Russia previously. Good bet he knows all the kompromat that Vlad has on the rest of them to keep them in line...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not sure if it's knowing everyone's secrets.

He didn't want to be a part of the Brexit campaign and had to be convinced it would be done his way if he came on board. Early on there was friction between him and some of the MPs over how it was being done and he was ready to walk. The MPs had to concede to keep him.

He seems to be very well thought of by the people he works for.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's knowing everyone's secrets.

He didn't want to be a part of the Brexit campaign and had to be convinced it would be done his way if he came on board. Early on there was friction between him and some of the MPs over how it was being done and he was ready to walk. The MPs had to concede to keep him.

He seems to be very well thought of by the people he works for.

It's blowing up on them massively, this story isn't going away and Cummings has gotten the entire cabinet and attorney General to publicly back him.

Will be an interesting few days but what a complete shambles of a government.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

It's blowing up on them massively, this story isn't going away and Cummings has gotten the entire cabinet and attorney General to publicly back him.

Will be an interesting few days but what a complete shambles of a government.

Every time I hear anything about the tories being the tories, this (1:27 in) screams in my head except swap "tories" for "economy".

IT'S THE TORIES, STUPPIIIIIDDDDDD!!!!

That press briefing. My god.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The strength and brazenness of the support for Cummings is absolutely staggering. Shameless is perhaps a too often used word in politics these days, but by christ does it apply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Shameless is perhaps a too often used word in politics these days, but by christ does it apply here.

They don't give a **** about pretending anymore, because they know there are no consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Does anyone here read the Covid threads anymore? It's filled mostly with posters demanding an end to the lockdown. The odd time someone will chime in and say they think it's a good idea keep to the current level of restrictions. Then the cohort of posters will rail against the 'typical lockdown merchants' who shout down their sensible ideas of reopening etc. But the majority of guys in these threads want a reopening. Who's shouting them down exactly?

It feels very Brexit-y to me, right down to the language employed. Replace lockdown merchant with Remoaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

They don't give a **** about pretending anymore, because they know there are no consequences.

Yep. The British public has ignored or forgiven far worse from this government and they know full well that they'll just ride it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clegg wrote: »
    Does anyone here read the Covid threads anymore? It's filled mostly with posters demanding an end to the lockdown. The odd time someone will chime in and say they think it's a good idea keep to the current level of restrictions. Then the cohort of posters will rail against the 'typical lockdown merchants' who shout down their sensible ideas of reopening etc. But the majority of guys in these threads want a reopening. Who's shouting them down exactly?

It feels very Brexit-y to me, right down to the language employed. Replace lockdown merchant with Remoaner.

Rarely ever bother going anywhere near the likes of AH or the Current Affairs stuff on here in the last year or so. It's not worth your time reading half of the drivel that gets spouted out by the Gemmaroids etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,115 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clegg wrote: »

I gave up on the covid thread weeks ago.

Full of point scorers and fundamentalists.

No middle ground at all, where is exactly where the conversation should be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

A breaking story from the Mirror about Cummings breaching lockdown on a second occasion. Brilliant trap laid by them. Get the Tories to peddle their justifications for his transgression. Had to make sure someone was there to mind the kids etc. Then ram the second breach down their throats.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1264262838622830601?s=19

Advertisement