Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

stephen_n wrote: »
    It’s the second time an ARU have shot dead a man with a knife. I would question how well trained the ARU are if they can’t shoot someone without killing them when they have a knife. Surely it’s possible for a leg shot, shoulder or arm. Somewhere non fatal, if they are trained marksmen.

If the police shoot someone they shoot centre mass to stop them. Aim for elsewhere and you are more likely to miss and less likely to accomplish your goal. Once it has reached the point of opening fire there is no other option. Besides, you can kill someone pretty easily by shooting them in the leg. Shooting people in the leg/arm is utter movie fantasy stuff.

The only legit question is whether they needed to open fire at all and no one has the slightest idea of that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

it’s a bad look when 15 guards can’t disarm a guy with a knife without executing him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Guards are not a trigger happy police force by any stretch of the imagination, nor is there a history of questionable police killings. Probably best to wait for the inevitable inquiry and details to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The Guards are not a trigger happy police force by any stretch of the imagination, nor is there a history of questionable police killings. Probably best to wait for the inevitable inquiry and details to come out.

This. We dont need to rush to judgement here, in either direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

By all accounts non-lethal options were used first and the guy didn't stay down.

• Advertisement

it’s a bad look when 15 guards can’t disarm a guy with a knife without executing him

I think there were two attempts to end the incident using non lethal means that failed.

Someone unhinged with a knife will be stopped by 15 guards but how many will be seriously or fatally injured in the process?

It's a sad case and not one I'd like to see in any way repeated nor a slope I'd like to see the country drift down.

But this does seem like a situation where other options were exhausted unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭OldRio

stephen_n wrote: »
    It’s the second time an ARU have shot dead a man with a knife. I would question how well trained the ARU are if they can’t shoot someone without killing them when they have a knife. Surely it’s possible for a leg shot, shoulder or arm. Somewhere non fatal, if they are trained marksmen.

And your training in these type of situations is?

Executing?

FFS

I think there were two attempts to end the incident using non lethal means that failed.

Someone unhinged with a knife will be stopped by 15 guards but how many will be seriously or fatally injured in the process?

It's a sad case and not one I'd like to see in any way repeated nor a slope I'd like to see the country drift down.

But this does seem like a situation where other options were exhausted unfortunately.

i contend that if 15 guards can’t reasonably easily disarm one knife wielding person regardless of mental state they are either incompetent or poorly trained.

i will comment further when the guards have had time to get their story straight and release more information.

OldRio wrote: »
    Executing?

FFS

sorry, murdering. execution implies justice.

• Advertisement

Wow, just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is someone who has never served in any forces or been trained in conflict de-escalation and has no idea what they’re talking about, and 10 being a veteran member of an armed response unit, where would you put yourself?

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is someone who has never served in any forces or been trained in conflict de-escalation and has no idea what they’re talking about, and 10 being a veteran member of an armed response unit, where would you put yourself?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

MOD NOTE

Like all cases that are ongoing and discussed on boards please keep to the reported facts and try not to draw any conclusions that can't be backed up

now, if everyone is quite done throwing their fits:
    i will comment further when the guards have had time to get their story straight and release more information.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

i contend that if 15 guards can’t reasonably easily disarm one knife wielding person regardless of mental state they are either incompetent or poorly trained.

It's very sad what happened but you're underestimating how dangerous a knife is at close quarters, they're actually more dangerous than guns.

Even if there's 15 Gardai at least one of them will get stabbed. How badly stabbed who knows? Getting stabbed by some one who wants to kill you (he was tasered twice, had been pepper sprayed, and had already given facial injuries to a shop worker) at close quarters can be fatal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

It's easy to be outraged if you're looking to be outraged, I suppose.

now, if everyone is quite done throwing their fits:

I think you were doing a grand job yer self on the fits front

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Give it up, that's disgraceful language.

So how many times have you faced down someone wielding a knife? Do you know what his mental state was? Or his sobriety?

Its easy to sit in judgement of incredibly dangerous situations from the comfort of your home. But reality is far different from whatever you seem to think it is.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    So how many times have you faced down someone wielding a knife? Do you know what his mental state was? Or his sobriety?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's very sad what happened but you're underestimating how dangerous a knife is at close quarters, they're actually more dangerous than guns.

Even if there's 15 Gardai at least one of them will get stabbed. How badly stabbed who knows? Getting stabbed by some one who wants to kill you (he was tasered twice, had been pepper sprayed, and had already given facial injuries to a shop worker) at close quarters can be fatal.

Hold on he was tasered twice and still going?

CatFromHue wrote: »

And on top of that you've no idea where the blade has been or what may be on it. Nobody will have wanted it to end this way. Its incredible how some see the individual as being, well, an individual, but then sees the individual Gardai as some faceless entity as opposed to a collection of individuals themselves. I can only imagine what the Garda who had to do it is going through at the moment.

So Dog Botherer were you there.?
    Youve been the judge and jury on the Guards. Therefore you must have seen everything, right?

Stop embarrassing yourself.

OldRio wrote: »
    So Dog Botherer were you there.?
    Youve been the judge and jury on the Guards. Therefore you must have seen everything, right?

yes. how did you know?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yes. how did you know?

No **** g way you were there as part of the ARU and are here tonight posting on a message board....

sydthebeat wrote: »
    No **** g way you were there as part of the ARU and are here tonight posting on a message board....

why not? free country.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sydthebeat wrote: »

Is he not the guy who lives in the US?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Is he not the guy who lives in the US?

i got homesick

Advertisement