Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Stheno wrote: »
    Is someone trying to domesticate you?

If they are, it's a concerted effort. My partner, her mother and my own mother.
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    Tonight Paul McGrath tweeted "congratulations young man" to the 49-year-old Aston Villa manager, Dean Smith, following their win.

Phew, thanks Neil.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Oh wow - congrats, that's a terrific gift - very Tom Petty!

Herself got me an Epiphone Riviera custom p93 and a new digital amp, wireless headphones linked to the PC and jacked into the amp is an absolute joy.

Notice much in the way of lag playing with wireless headphones? I'm going the opposite direction with wired in ear monitors acquired last week. Not played a guitar through em yet, but vocals sound great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Any "men's" shows on Netflix?

I've had to sit through the crown (meh), virgin river (quite possibly the greatest load of shīt ever to grace a TV screen) and tonight she has started Bridgerton (some kind of Victorian shīte about women looking for love). I'm considering going to bed at 7 every night rather than be subjected to this never ending stream of rubbish.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mfceiling wrote: »

I've had to sit through the crown (meh), virgin river (quite possibly the greatest load of shīt ever to grace a TV screen) and tonight she has started Bridgerton (some kind of Victorian shīte about women looking for love). I'm considering going to bed at 7 every night rather than be subjected to this never ending stream of rubbish.

Get a second telly for the bedroom?

Stheno wrote: »
    Get a second telly for the bedroom?

Ah Stheno the one thing I'll never have in the bedroom is a television. Maybe the kitchen but never the bedroom!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

My dad has a new smart TV and discovered YouTube. Hours upon hours of top 10 disasters at sea, giant waves etc...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah Stheno the one thing I'll never have in the bedroom is a television. Maybe the kitchen but never the bedroom!!

We have one. Drives me bananas

• Registered Users Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's not Netflix, but if you have access to Amazon Prime TV I cannot recommend 'The Expanse' highly enough. It's the best Sci Fi series around right now and also one of the best TV shows of any genre currently broadcasting too.

Off the top of my head:

Happy!
    Life on Mars (and it's sequel series, Ashes to Ashes)
    Black Sails (excellent pirate based show)
    Archer
    Altered Carbon (season 1 at least)
    The Witcher
    Chef's Table (season 1 anyway)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,229 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Seen the wither yeah??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Happy belated Christmas, folks. Haven't been home for a few days (support bubbling at the gf's parent's house).

Hope Santa was good. Got a few very comfortable pairs of boxers, a toasted sandwich maker, a new set of bed linen and a pair of new towels.

im-37-im.jpg

I've been using our toasted sandwich maker the last few weeks. You forget how tasty they are. Nothing quite like burning your mouth with molten hot cheese and tomato

Synode wrote: »
    I've been using our toasted sandwich maker the last few weeks. You forget how tasty they are. Nothing quite like burning your mouth with molten hot cheese and tomato

Ah here, I'm totally ok with toasted sandwiches, love them. Toasted egg sandwiches are the sh*t. Liberally salted, thing of gods.

... it was the combo that really threw me.

dregin wrote: »
    Notice much in the way of lag playing with wireless headphones? I'm going the opposite direction with wired in ear monitors acquired last week. Not played a guitar through em yet, but vocals sound great.

None!

The headphones are directly connected to the amp so there is 0 delay. The wireless from the PC is completely seamless or at least I've never once noticed any kind of lag be it music or gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

So there's soooooo many other things you WILL have in the bedroom then? :)

Sons of Anarchy is what I'm stuck in at the mo.

Hunters on amazon prime was good too.

Not sure what platform I watched this on, but "Barry" was a well put together comedy/crime show you might enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

i recommend Crank 2: High Voltage starring Jason Statham

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭swiwi_

What do you like watching? Strictly English no subtitles? Comedy? Action? Thriller? Drama? Sci-fi?

swiwi_ wrote: »
    What do you like watching? Strictly English no subtitles? Comedy? Action? Thriller? Drama? Sci-fi?

Bit of violence is always a good start. Good storyline. Not really into sci-fi.

Now the rest of them are starting into Dawson's creek. FML.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Sons of Anarchy, Narcos, Line of Duty, Fargo would all fit the bill. Can't go wrong with any of them.

It's only 2 episodes in but the new version of the Stand is fairly solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Sons of Anarchy, Narcos, Line of Duty, Fargo would all fit the bill. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Seen the 2nd and 4th in this list (not the latest Fargo which got average reviews) and they are good. If you don’t mind subtitles then Spiral is good too. I suppose breaking bad but I didn’t enjoy it as much as some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If you haven’t watched the Wire that should be top of the list.

• Administrators Posts: 53,511 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

stephen_n wrote: »
    If you haven’t watched the Wire that should be top of the list.

The Wire is amazing.

Slow to start though, you need to persist through 4 or 5 episodes IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Banshee is the one for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The Punisher

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Oz if you have now tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

i highly recommend Deadwood, think it’s on Prime. i’m always surprised how few people have seen it.

i highly recommend Deadwood, think it’s on Prime. i’m always surprised how few people have seen it.

My personal #1 show of all time. Quality.

Speaking of Deadwood - Justified is another terrific show. Takes a season or so to get into its stride but absolutely top notch from then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Deadwood is exceptional.

Justified is very under-rated. Fantastic series. Have the whole series on DVD. More than just the cop element, there's a kind of Southern Gothic melancholia that balances all the rootin'-tootin' action.

And very cleverly self aware. There's a scene in one of the later series where he goes out in a call with the young black female Marshall, and he is moaning about coming from this place and how he's judged because of his family. And she just shoots him down (no pun intended) in the most brutal, understated way. Yeah. So tough for the white, handsome Stetson-wearing policeman, sort of thing. And he just shuts up, with nothing to say. It really just made me sit up in the chair. It wasn't jarring; it didn't feel like an intrusive lecture. But for a moment it made you reassess the main character and his struggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

First series of Braquo is absolutely brilliant, but by the third it had completely gone off the rails.

Advertisement