Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

awec wrote: »
    I've never had poitin. Is it actually legal? Or is the stuff you can buy not really poitin?

No, and no. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I remember finding out the hard way as a youngster that drinking water the morning after a night on the Poitín is the worst thing you can do.

That's when you knew it's proper Poitín (potentially from a bog road just before Baile na hAbhann).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

in college i once watched a friend of mine drink about a litre of stuff he’d brought from his parents’ friends in Mayo.

i think he saw god that night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Bazzo wrote: »
    I still have mine but then again Bank of Ireland have only realised I'm no longer a student in the last 6 months, and are going to move me on to a graduate account next year for 2 years which I gather is essentially the same as a student account, so I'm only paying €30 a year to the government to keep it open. :pac:

I'd probably have kept it anyway though, I'm planning on moving home probably in the next 2-5 years.

I still have a student CC from AIB despite graduating over 12 years ago...

I still have my account though despite leaving 8 years ago. Like Swiwi I find it useful to have a euro account, might not care as much if I was living in a Euro country. I've had it since I was born though and I think my dad is even a joint account holder on it still!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I've never had poitin. Is it actually legal? Or is the stuff you can buy not really poitin?

A neighbour of mine used to make flavoured poitin....brandy ball and clove rock.
    I may or may not have been making 200 quid a week selling it years ago.
    One lad in a town in Meath used to buy 50 bottles a fortnight from me and they sold it from under the bar in a few local pubs. I heard this a couple of years ago (I felt like the beer baron).
    I remember (not much) drinking a half bottle of it when I was 20 at a card game one night. I woke the next morning in a pool of my own sick. I was freaked to hell when I realised what had happened. Never and I mean never again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

mfceiling wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine used to make flavoured poitin....brandy ball and clove rock.
    I may or may not have been making 200 quid a week selling it years ago.
    One lad in a town in Meath used to buy 50 bottles a fortnight from me and they sold it from under the bar in a few local pubs. I heard this a couple of years ago (I felt like the beer baron).
    I remember (not much) drinking a half bottle of it when I was 20 at a card game one night. I woke the next morning in a pool of my own sick. I was freaked to hell when I realised what had happened. Never and I mean never again!!

How big was the bottle?
    I mean to drink half a 1 ltr bottle of the real deal (the 90% + stuff) is like drinking an all syrup super squishy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRuHh9B3FDc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭OldRio

A few bottles still around the place. I've used it to disinfectant cuts on horses in an emergency. (Always had it in the hip flask when riding or hunting)
    The postman used to deliver ours along with the post. It was made by a women in her 70's.It was said after age had caught up with her, she scaled back production to only 200 or so bottles a week.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,229 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ive a bottle in my press... made in a small village in east limerick :)

When I lived in Donegal there was a report in the local paper of a case where an old man was prosecuted for making poitin. When the guards searched his house, they found 600 bottles of it hidden under floorboards.

The defending solicitor pleaded that his client had very bad arthritis, and the poitin was for rubbing on his joints.

At which point the judge apparently interjected, asking: "600 litres! Was he taking *%$*ing baths in the stuff? "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

A friend of mine distilled his own gin when we were at university. He flavoured it with sachets of powered cordial. He brought a jar of it to a party and offered us all a taste. One of our mates had a swig and freaked out because he suddenly couldn't see anything. The distiller calmly responded "its ok mate, your sight comes back in a minute or 2". I declined the offer of a taste.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Distilling your own spirits is illegal for multiple very good reasons. I believe its the methanol that causes the blindness if they haven't properly "topped and tailed" the distillate.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

My mother once decided she would make her own gin. So she decided to email the revenue to check, acknowledging it was definitely illegal, but asking what sort of amount she'd be able to get away with. The response was obviously hilarious, making it very clear it was totally illegal and there was no amount that would be "grand" for her to make for her own consumption. I'd say they had a good laugh when they saw that query come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

My mother once decided she would make her own gin. So she decided to email the revenue to check, acknowledging it was definitely illegal, but asking what sort of amount she'd be able to get away with. The response was obviously hilarious, making it very clear it was totally illegal and there was no amount that would be "grand" for her to make for her own consumption. I'd say they had a good laugh when they saw that query come in.

She definitely still made it, didn't she.

CMcsporty wrote: »
    How big was the bottle?
    I mean to drink half a 1 ltr bottle of the real deal (the 90% + stuff) is like drinking an all syrup super squishy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRuHh9B3FDc

It was a 70cl bottle that was produced halfway through the game. I had already drank 5 cans of tennants lager and was ready to go home. The rule was "losing hand drinks a shot". Apparently the dealer messed up the dealing twice so it was a double shot (I lost both of them).

The lady that made it at home used to sell hundreds of bottles a week. I used to call up on a Sunday morning to her and there might be 2 or 3 people ahead of me!! My dad told me that a lot of policemen used to buy from her as well!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Plenty of it around if you know who to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

mfceiling wrote: »
    The lady that made it at home used to sell hundreds of bottles a week. I used to call up on a Sunday morning to her and there might be 2 or 3 people ahead of me!! My dad told me that a lot of policemen used to buy from her as well!!

That's disgraceful. Hopefully, I never encounter such disgusting behaviour. Where was she based so I can make sure to avoid the area? Best to be specific so I can make absolutely sure. Postcode will do.

Buer wrote: »
    That's disgraceful. Hopefully, I never encounter such disgusting behaviour. Where was she based so I can make sure to avoid the area? Best to be specific so I can make absolutely sure. Postcode will do.

Halfway between roughan and stewartstown....make sure you pass whitetown but if you've gone as far as Robinson's cottage then turn back as you've gone too far. Be careful not to take the turn that eventually leads to shanky via the back road to sherrigroom. The lane is on the right after the bad dip in the road.

Handy found.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

Anyone seen “Freud” on Netflix? Puts the whole Dublin social climbing and online trolling to shame.

The Hungarian count and countess become blood drenched satanists to get an audience with the Prince of Austria in it. Killing many people with distorted mind tricks etc.

Puts modern online trolling in context. The European aristocratic elite swooped to much greater depths of depravity to any of the tame stuff we have in online world in the modern day if this fictional account has any historical accuracy.

I know it’s fictional but if the zeitgeist of that day is in any way accurately captured or has any link to reality then it’s shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

We used to make gin and vodka in our science lab prep room. My lab tech became a dab hand at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

Anyone seen “Freud” on Netflix?.

Is it anything like this one

• Advertisement

I'm feeling a "tragedy of the commons" type situation with our current restrictions. If I don't go out and enjoy the pubs now, I might not get a chance at all.

I'm feeling a "tragedy of the commons" type situation with our current restrictions. If I don't go out and enjoy the pubs now, I might not get a chance at all.

There was a real tragedy of the commons earlier this week when Boris openly mocked Starmer for calling for restrictions over Christmas, three days before Boris implemented restrictions over Christmas.

Had little planned but will be doing nothing now until the New Year.

**** you 2020 !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

There was a real tragedy of the commons earlier this week when Boris openly mocked Starmer for calling for restrictions over Christmas, three days before Boris implemented restrictions over Christmas.

Had little planned but will be doing nothing now until the New Year.

**** you 2020 !

Similar story here, Covid hit the other half's school to the point that half the teachers are now self-isolating, so Christmas plans f*cked. (Seems mad to me that the other half have to go in for the next day and a half...).

If any positive can be taken from it, it's that vaccine hesitancy may be reduced. You'd imagine a large % of people eligible will just have a huge appetite to get back to normal.

aloooof wrote: »
    Similar story here, Covid hit the other half's school to the point that half the teachers are now self-isolating, so Christmas plans f*cked. (Seems mad to me that the other half have to go in for the next day and a half...).

If any positive can be taken from it, it's that vaccine hesitancy may be reduced. You'd imagine a large % of people eligible will just have a huge appetite to get back to normal.

The same morons whining about restrictions are the same morons ignoring restrictions and spreading Covid are the same morons who won't get the vaccine. Never overestimate the intelligence of people. You will be repeatedly disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

not trying to be dramatic, but given the infrastructural nightmare that is the USA, i’ll probably be incredibly lucky to get the vaccination before 2021.

still, could be worse. could be in England.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Zzippy wrote: »
    The same morons whining about restrictions are the same morons ignoring restrictions and spreading Covid are the same morons who won't get the vaccine. Never overestimate the intelligence of people. You will be repeatedly disappointed.

Ya, there's definitely a subset of steadfast idiots that are not for turning, shall we say. But I think there may be a certain amount who were maybe reluctant , hesitant or on the fence that could definitely be swayed at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Zzippy wrote: »

If only I could thank this twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

My cousin picked today to move from Munich to Budapest.... think his drive is going to be a lot longer than he thought :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,511 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What's the traffic like on the N7 these days going out of Dublin? Is it back to what it was like pre-lockdown?

• Advertisement

What's the traffic like on the N7 these days going out of Dublin? Is it back to what it was like pre-lockdown?

Depends when you leave. Rush hour (after 4) is still a pox.

Advertisement