Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Had enough of this lockdown am I the only person feeling like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Cupatae wrote: »
    What do you want an apology for?

For the HSE not being mystics? It was very much an evolving situation. And so far we are doing very well compared to almost everywhere else.

For the Government not shutting the doors on everyone the very second we heard a peep about covid? did you want a kneejerk reaction?

What would you have done different.

Kneejerk reaction?? Italy was overrun with the thing and we had a govt minister respond "How would we feel if Italy banned all flights from Ireland" as a serious response to the question as to why we hadn't stopped flights. There were no mystic powers needed to see that Italy was in the shit.

"How would we feel if Italy banned all flights from Ireland".That was a serious answer. WTF!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Boggles wrote: »
    Please God you don't have an accident, but if you do hopefully you will be killed on impact.

I have a lot of friends in the emergency services and I wouldn't like them or their families put at risk because of some selfish cúnt.

The shaming, and using emergency services for the purposes of virtue signaling at this stage is becoming tedious, get the fcuk down off that high horse and give it a break.

Gynoid wrote: »
    Glad you got a laugh. On top of a lovely morning what more can you ask for.
    Basically you think the whole pandemic restrictions were unnecessary then. People should have continued as normal, no need for staying home on the basis that it is laughable that if people go out they may get and spread the virus. Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to be completely wrong.

Strange that the WHO agree, they see Sweden as the best example. Are they completely wrong??

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sweden-is-a-model-for-the-new-coronavirus-normal-says-who-dd8fgw7d0

Covid €350 money for nothing eh?
    I think alot of fun will start when that payment is removed and a very unhealthy dose of reality gets injected into alot of people's lives.

I'm looking forward to when the tax owed on it is claimed back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,605 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

begbysback wrote: »
    The shaming, and using emergency services for the purposes of virtue signaling at this stage is becoming tedious, get the fcuk down off that high horse and give it a break.

I'm not trying to shame anyone, I honestly hope he doesn't get in a an accident, but if he does I hope he is killed on impact.

Just easier and cleaner that way and less risk for people who have to clean it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Kneejerk reaction?? Italy was overrun with the thing and we had a govt minister respond "How would we feel if Italy banned all flights from Ireland" as a serious response to the question as to why we hadn't stopped flights. There were no mystic powers needed to see that Italy was in the shit.

"How would we feel if Italy banned all flights from Ireland".That was a serious answer. WTF!!!!

Holohan did also say there was no evidence it would spread here when Italy was already in meltdown, and was still saying that after we identified out first case. Cheltenham, Italian tourists by the bucket load? All fine, it won't spread here.

They did well when they eventually decided to move, but I find it bizarre that everybody seems to forget the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Please God you don't have an accident, but if you do hopefully you will be killed on impact.

I have a lot of friends in the emergency services and I wouldn't like them or their families put at risk because of some selfish cúnt.

A whole new level of nastiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭XLR 8

People from the North free to move all over Ireland.
    Scab slave labour being flown in on flights.

Travellers totally free to do what they want when they want where they want.

I am working long hours which are deemed essential.

I am going to get out for a decent drive this weekend and head for a beauty spot and get out for a walk and enjoy the sun.

Before you shut me down mods can you answer what harm I will be doing?

This is a discussion forum we are not living in China or North Korea.

If we all behave as you intend to they will extend the lock down. So your defeating the purpose. I feel your pain we're all going a little off the rails. But dude we gotta suck it up for just a bit longer. The North Korea reference helps no one. I hope the 100hrs work that you currently are doing is as a result of the crisis & not the norm. If you want less hours then you above all of us need the rest of us to adhere to the restrictions. But so must you. I wish you well but someone who has worked 100 hours and seems to have issues dealing with all this is the last person who should be going for a spin. Your tired as it is ffs. If you have an episode that requires the intervention of other front line staff would you be happy to suffer the consequences ? Dude stay safe stay in sleep well and dream easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'm not trying to shame anyone, I honestly hope he doesn't get in a an accident, but if he does I hope he is killed on impact.

Just easier and cleaner that way and less risk for people who have to clean it up.

Another disgusting comment. I hope action is taken against these posts of yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Its like everthing else in Ireland, the law abiding are cooked up in their houses for the last 6 weeks whilst the traveller community have been having large funerals all over the country like Birr etc, there have been 21sts in Longford, running pitched battles in Enniscorthy , Large traveller camps in the curragh and they get away with it ....how can this be allowed??

I actually work in the HSE, but I hate this virtue signalling by people, there will be **** all virtue signalling in six months when income tax stays the same but USC/PRD goes through the roof for people working in the HSE. It will have progressed to "Lucky to have jobs by then".

I can understand OP frustration, social distancing is tough. I personally am finding it difficult although I have been practicing it since mid February. I have come around to idea we need to decide what we (as a country) see as an acceptable amount of deaths from COVID-19/day.

I think it's time to move to the next stage, restart OPD appointments, some lifting of restrictions.

We aren't living at the moment. We are existing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @Boggles - Don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

What an absolutely horrid thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

XLR 8 wrote: »
    If we all behave as you intend to they will extend the lock down. So your defeating the purpose. I feel your pain we're all going a little off the rails. But dude we gotta suck it up for just a bit longer. The North Korea reference helps no one. I hope the 100hrs work that you currently are doing is as a result of the crisis & not the norm. If you want less hours then you above all of us need the rest of us to adhere to the restrictions. But so must you. I wish you well but someone who has worked 100 hours and seems to have issues dealing with all this is the last person who should be going for a spin. Your tired as it is ffs. If you have an episode that requires the intervention of other front line staff would you be happy to suffer the consequences ? Dude stay safe stay in sleep well and dream easy.

Sick of people saying "suck it up" or just "deal with it" everyone circumstances are different, what about people with severe mental health problems with suicidal thoughts, should these people just "suck it up" what about elderly people who haven't been outside in 5 weeks and might have no family or people to talk to, should these people just "suck it up" what about people living in apartment or tower blocks who have no garden ,or large families where kids are bored and rows and arguments, sick of these poxy doom merchants, lockdown fanatics who get some perverse pleasure from being in lockdown,and it would appear there are many of them on here!!

The facts are, cases have dropped significantly, most things to do with the virus have, yet the public are still being punished, despite high compliance, the economy is in tatters, if this continues this will have far far greater implications that the virus, you'll have people completely broken mentally , the economy will be completely fcuked and will take years and years to recover, some, not all restrictions need to be be eased ASAP.

Common sense would be to lift the ridiculous 2km restriction, allow the elderly to get out and exercise, allow some shops to open with strict social distancing measures in place, review it again in a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

WHO are saying the Swedish model is the best one. No lockdown. The lockdown was a one size fits all thing for every country, something that was never needed. It was ridiculous to implement in Ireland.

Sweden is a model for the new coronavirus normal, says WHO
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sweden-is-a-model-for-the-new-coronavirus-normal-says-who-dd8fgw7d0

Tis odd. From what I (albeit vaguely) recall of your opinions over time I would have thought favorably quoting the technocratic elite in one of the firmest established one world globalist organisations would not be your style.

Even aside from that WHO have been, shall we charitably say, somewhat changeable in their various opinions on this outbreak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

God help your friends you are a disgusting individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

I'm looking forward to when the tax owed on it is claimed back.

What tax is owed on it ?

God help your friends you are a disgusting individual.

that was an awful thing to say about you mate, jaysus this virus really has brought out the absolute worst in people, from despicable people like your man to doom and gloom merchants and lockdown fanatics happy to sit on their hole and claim €350 a week.

Tis odd. From what I (albeit vaguely) recall of your opinions over time I would have thought favorably quoting the technocratic elite in one of the firmest established one world globalist organisations would not be your style.

Even aside from that WHO have been, shall we charitably say, somewhat changeable in their various opinions on this outbreak.

I think you are mistaking me for someone else. I don't buy into the new world order, tinfoil hat, 5g is spreading disease, Rothschilds etc guff you are alluding to.

ek motor wrote: »
    What tax is owed on it ?

Income tax and USC will not be applied to the subsidy through the payroll (any tax liability that may arise will be reviewed at the end of the year)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I feel the same way OP, its very very hard. I was in hospital for a month before this all started, only got out and then it kicked off. So I went from being locked up in hospital to being locked up at home.

Keeping busy at home is helping a lot, each day myself and my wife find something constructive to do around the house. It gives your day purpose. Hopefully today will bring a little bit of light and hope when the government make an announcement this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gidea

I actually work in the HSE, but I hate this virtue signalling by people, there will be **** all virtue signalling in six months when income tax stays the same but USC/PRD goes through the roof for people working in the HSE. It will have progressed to "Lucky to have jobs by then".

I can understand OP frustration, social distancing is tough. I personally am finding it difficult although I have been practicing it since mid February. I have come around to idea we need to decide what we (as a country) see as an acceptable amount of deaths from COVID-19/day.

I think it's time to move to the next stage, restart OPD appointments, some lifting of restrictions.

We aren't living at the moment. We are existing.

"I want X amount of people dead a day so i can finally go to the pub/gym/rock climbing/brothel"

Countless generations of people have just existed, weather it was through war, famine or plague. People are being asked to stay at home with a wealth of entertainment at their fingertips and just moan that it isnt fair:rolleyes:

I think you are mistaking me for someone else. I don't buy into the new world order, tinfoil hat, 5g is spreading disease, Rothschilds etc guff you are alluding to.

Must be mistaking you. Neither do I buy into it. I think it was climate change threads where I saw you post about not trusting scientists etc. And other similar stuff. But Im far too lazy to back it up... :)
    What about the WHOs changeable views?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I certainly feel like my mental health has been impacted by this. I haven't seen my parents in 2 months now.

My mental health has been affected too, but more so because my parents won't get to support me when I have my first child in 3 weeks, and I don't know when they will meet her where it isn't via a window. I also have an almost unspeakable fear that given their ages and underlying conditions, they might never get to meet her if they contract the virus. That, and the knowledge that I am not the only one facing these fears, is giving me strength to do the right thing and stay at home.

WHO are saying the Swedish model is the best one. No lockdown. The lockdown was a one size fits all thing for every country, something that was never needed. It was ridiculous to implement in Ireland.

Sweden is a model for the new coronavirus normal, says WHO
    The World Health Organisation lavished praise on Sweden as “a future model” in the next phase of fighting the outbreak because it has trusted people to observe social distancing rules.

The swedes and prertty much all scandanavia has a diferent mindset to us. We cant trust ourselves to obverve social distancing if everything was running normally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Gidea wrote: »
    "I want X amount of people dead a day so i can finally go to the pub/gym/rock climbing/brothel"

Countless generations of people have just existed, weather it was through war, famine or plague. People are being asked to stay at home with a wealth of entertainment at their fingertips and just moan that it isnt fair:rolleyes:

You can’t even read. The poster is a HSE worker and thinks people who need hospital treatment other then Covid related should have access to health services. If you don’t agree then argue the point instead of monotonous finger wagging.

Must be mistaking you. Neither do I buy into it. I think it was climate change threads where I saw you post about not trusting scientists etc. And other similar stuff. But Im far too lazy to back it up... :)

I don't but into their climate "models" which so far have a 100% failure rate.

I don't buy into their climate "models" which so far have a 100% failure rate.

splinter65 wrote: »
    You can’t even read. The poster is a HSE worker and thinks people who need hospital treatment other then Covid related should have access to health services. If you don’t agree then argue the point instead of monotonous finger wagging.

Hes arguing the point that we should accept a number of people dying per day. This is unacceptable in my mind as it would be asking me to accept the possibility of my parents dying as they are over 75 and in the at risk group. Im all for getting patients into hosptiples for non COVID related reasons, but we shouldnt accept daily deaths from a preventable virus in order to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Downlinz

The selfishness of the few unfortunately comes to the fore at times like this with those who try to find ways to justify why the rules don't apply to them. Most people contribute to society but there'll always be a minority who are only interested in what society can offer them and we're seeing plenty of them in this thread.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »

He's arguing the point that we should accept a number of people dying per day. This is unacceptable in my mind as it would be asking me to accept the possibility of my parents dying as they are over 75 and in the at-risk group. I'm all for getting patients into hospitals for non-COVID related reasons, but we shouldn't accept daily deaths from a preventable virus in order to do this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

He's arguing the point that we should accept a number of people dying per day. This is unacceptable in my mind as it would be asking me to accept the possibility of my parents dying as they are over 75 and in the at-risk group. I'm all for getting patients into hospitals for non-COVID related reasons, but we shouldn't accept daily deaths from a preventable virus in order to do this

Its not feasibly preventable though, still tens of thousands of new cases and thousands of deaths daily across Europe despite 6 weeks solid continent wide lockdown . Flu is a preventable disease by extent of that then, but it has never been eradicated, and never will be, we accept hundreds of thousands of deaths from it worldwide annually

I'm not saying we sholdnt continue to make great efforts to prevent spread. But saying we should accept no covid deaths only, it not realistic

It's a moving feast type of thing, as more is learned about the disease then things will change. I'd be more worried if they had the same staunch view even as more became known about the disease.

Hes arguing the point that we should accept a number of people dying per day. This is unacceptable in my mind as it would be asking me to accept the possibility of my parents dying as they are over 75 and in the at risk group. Im all for getting patients into hosptiples for non COVID related reasons, but we shouldnt accept daily deaths from a preventable virus in order to do this

We accept a certain % of people who drive dying per year, or are you in favour of parking the car up until such a time we can drive without fatalities??

The swedes and prertty much all scandanavia has a diferent mindset to us. We cant trust ourselves to obverve social distancing if everything was running normally

AH Howya Leo, the damn proles just can't be trusted. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Portugal are re-opening most shops and businesses including hairdressers from Monday, with the likes of museums, bars, restaurants, art galleries, and senior schools to re-open on 18th May. Fair play to them.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0430/1135935-portugal/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭mulbot

Finland reopening schools from May 14th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

GazzaL wrote: »
    Portugal are re-opening most shops and businesses including hairdressers from Monday, with the likes of museums, bars, restaurants, art galleries, and senior schools to re-open on 18th May. Fair play to them.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0430/1135935-portugal/

Interesting that they're keeping schools closed and opening other things first. That's the opposite of what a lot of other European countries are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭mulbot

Where's your proof this is preventable

• Advertisement

Downlinz wrote: »
    The selfishness of the few unfortunately comes to the fore at times like this with those who try to find ways to justify why the rules don't apply to them. Most people contribute to society but there'll always be a minority who are only interested in what society can offer them and we're seeing plenty of them in this thread.

i think you'll find the vast majority with the exception of the doom and gloom merchants and lockdown fanatics on here want SOME NOT ALL restrictions eased, dont you understand the implications will be far far greater than this virus if the economy crashes completely and wont get back on track for years and years,worldwide job losses, not to mention the severe detrimental mental health effect on people,the long list goes on and on and on.

Other countries in a similar predicament to Ireland have announced restrictions to be eased, and some not all shops will reopen, the main things that need to be lifted are the 2km, people should be allowed to travel to see family and loved ones,whilst adhering to social distancing,etc, elderly need to be allowed to go out and exercise,these are the absolute minimum,if they dont then people have had enough and just wont comply anymore and there will end up being civil unrest.

what does it take to get into some stupid peoples minds to see if these restrictions continue society as we know it will continue to disintegrate, cases are dropping every day, we are on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

So many are dying at the frontline of the war on Covid19. I was glad to see that RTE the other night on Prime Time had a great piece on "the weapons needed to fight the war on Covid19", it was awe inspiring, made me feel soo gung ho. This is war folks, war on Covid19. So far we have kept up our moral with things like clapping for our healthcare hero's on the frontline, having virtual sessions so we can feel like we are not drinking alone at home and baking. I myself have made flap jacks and pancakes, I'm not really sure if that can be considered baking, but it's close enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭uli84

Arghus wrote: »
    Since day one of this lockdown the government, DOH and GP's have been telling people constantly to seek medical help if required or attention to health issues if required that have nothing to do with Covid.

I don’t know if required until I'm screened and screening stopped, unfortunately some health complications don’t “hurt” but they still are very serious.

There's some amount of doom and gloom merchants on this forum and lockdown fanatics,jaysus imagine having to live in the same house as these absolute nutters:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Ireland 7th worse in the world covid deaths vs population - Sweden and USA better than us
    Media not report this fact - hardly a sign of a successful lockdown

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

wpd wrote: »
    Ireland 7th worse in the world covid deaths vs population - Sweden and USA better than us
    Media not report this fact - hardly a sign of a successful lockdown

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

We count non-hospital deaths and "possible" deaths. Most other countries don't. Comparing apples and oranges.

• Advertisement

Paddygreen wrote: »
    So many are dying at the frontline of the war on Covid19. I was glad to see that RTE the other night on Prime Time had a great piece on the weapons needed to fight the war on Covid19, it was awe inspiring. This is war folks, war on Covid19. So far we have kept up our moral with things like clapping for our healthcare hero's on the frontline, having virtual sessions so we can feel like we are not drinking alone at home and baking. I myself have made flap jacks and pancakes and I'm not really sure if that can be considered baking, but it is close enough.

You are not truly doing a groovy lockdown Paddy until you have made excellent sourdough bread, learned at least one new language on duolingo and done Zoom yogalates sessions at least thrice a week. Pancakes is a mediocre effort from a man who claims to so enthusiastically woohoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

jonnny68 wrote: »
    There's some amount of doom and gloom merchants on this forum and lockdown fanatics,jaysus imagine having to live in the same house as these absolute nutters:eek:

I find it odd when I see people relishing the thought of being shuttered at home under effective house arrest for 18 months.

I expect the government to use the time that I am lending them to be able to put alternative measures in place to begin being able to come out of this lockdown. We shouldn't expect any less.

Transparency should be demanded in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Honestly I think while some people are starting to suffer a bit of "cabin fever" they need to be reminded and keep reminding themselves that staying at home IS WORKING, the numbers are coming down and that if we can last another 2 or 3 weeks it will be enough to be able to manage this and gradually reopen things. It sucks that we've all be mostly stuck at home for the best part of 2 months but if we dont do this right the first time we get stuck in a repeat loop and more people die. It sucks but the alternative IS WORSE.

I find it odd when I see people relishing the thought of being shuttered at home under effective house arrest for 18 months.

I expect the government to use the time that I am lending them to be able to put alternative measures in place to begin being able to come out of this lockdown. We shouldn't expect any less.

Transparency should be demanded in the coming weeks.

sarcasm isnt your strong point mate, repeat after me.....must try harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Infini wrote: »
    Honestly I think while some people are starting to suffer a bit of "cabin fever" they need to be reminded and keep reminding themselves that staying at home IS WORKING, the numbers are coming down and that if we can last another 2 or 3 weeks it will be enough to be able to manage this and gradually reopen things. It sucks that we've all be mostly stuck at home for the best part of 2 months but if we dont do this right the first time we get stuck in a repeat loop and more people die. It sucks but the alternative IS WORSE.

The government also need to level with the public and be transparent. If people are given an idea as to how long this will last their support will be ensured.

• Advertisement
Advertisement