Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs New Zealand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

What do you think they should do?

Keep the elderly and at risk shielded and let healthy people go about their lives. It’s the only way out of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/coronavirus-we-must-save-lives-but-we-also-need-to-live-1.4329461?mode=amp

It talking about managing the virus but also getting on with our lives, highlighting the essential mere delaying of a first wave by NZ. Going into strict lockdown again for 4 cases shows such an impractical approach and shows that there is no real plan in NZ.

Most countries are through heir first wave of deaths and infections and are now just seeing increases in cases but deaths stabilising. NZ could end up getting its first wave of both deaths and cases in the autumn when the rest of the world is living with the virus. I'm glad I don't live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/coronavirus-we-must-save-lives-but-we-also-need-to-live-1.4329461?mode=amp

It talking about managing the virus but also getting on with our lives, highlighting the essential mere delaying of a first wave by NZ. Going into strict lockdown again for 4 cases shows such an impractical approach and shows that there is no real plan in NZ.

Moat countries are through heir first wave of deaths and infections and are now just seeing increases in cases but deaths stabilising. NZ could end up getting its first wave of both deaths and cases in the autumn when the rest of the world is living with the virus. I'm glad I don't live there.
    Lockdown isn't a permanent state of affairs, its used to slow transmission and not overload the health system.

NZ managed to have a return to normal life for the most part apart from foreign travel for the last 100 days.
    Now they locked down Auckland because they found some cases and didn't want to have huge transmission rates overloading the health services and to give them time to track and trace the contacts.

NZ has already had cases and deaths so its not their first wave.
    There have been nearly 30 cases identified with this latest outbreak and they have said that this outbreak is a new genome so its recently arrived and hasn't been in the community before so they are correct in doing what they are doing in my view.
    I'd be happy to have a few weeks of lockdown if it meant a return to normal life again.
    Unfortunately we are not going to have that option here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Timmyr wrote: »
    Its highly unlikely it was imported on freight, thats just hearsay
    Everything is hearsay at this stage.

The NZ PM has said it's not related to cases in quarantine or to the initial wave. So, they have no clue where it came from at this point, except that it is a new strain.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0814/1159092-auckland-covid-infection-spread/

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    NZ has already had cases and deaths so its not their first wave.

This virus only has one wave. Look at every country in the world for evidence. Regardless of measures. Deaths per million. Cases tell you nothing after the virus has risen and fallen.

NZ are rare in that they have managed to virtually eradicate it without community spread. But like any virus it will eventually work its way through the community. Rise and fall.

Once the virus has worked its way through a region deaths will go to virtually zero because the virus has run out of at risk people.

You can keep testing. And you'll find cases. But the deaths won't follow so they're meaningless.

If you want evidence of this look at every single country/region in the world that has been affected by this. Its the same everywhere. Without exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

Keep the elderly and at risk shielded and let healthy people go about their lives. It’s the only way out of this.

Which is fine until the healthy get infected in such numbers that it overwhelms the health service and scores die because we can't treat them all (like Italy).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Hong Kong had its first case in January. From January until the start of July, HK had less than 10 deaths (and 28 days straight with 0 local cases coming into July). Cases have risen since the start of July, more than doubling the total number of cases, and deaths have risen to 69. Does that fit with what you're saying, lee baby simms?

I find it really bizarre that people are arguing against NZ's zero covid approach when it's very much with their grasp. Even if it was a month's hard lockdown in exchange for 100 days at a time. I'd definitely take it over our limbo dance.

Yeah, I mean Ireland had a way worse lockdown that NZ. People here talking like they were imprisoned in their homes for months so it wasn't worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Hong Kong had its first case in January. From January until the start of July, HK had less than 10 deaths (and 28 days straight with 0 local cases coming into July). Cases have risen since the start of July, more than doubling the total number of cases, and deaths have risen to 69. Does that fit with what you're saying, lee baby simms?

Have you been to HK? That is exceptionally low for such a densely packed city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Have you been to HK? That is exceptionally low for such a densely packed city.
    I have yeah. My point is that things have accelerated rapidly since the start of July; cases have more than doubled in 1.5 months and deaths increased 7 fold.

Yes it does. They are yet to get hit with it. They haven't had their wave yet, wave being - significant community spread.

We know from looking around the world that the burnout rate of this virus is within 300-700 deaths per million figure.

This rate differs by size of at risk population, obesity, healthcare etc.

Some countries have managed to suppress it but very few. Greece, NZ, Hong Kong. They haven't passed the virus yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is that another 13 cases on top of the previous 13 cases oh dear no wonder they extending the lockdown https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/14/new-zealand-covid-19-cases-all-linked-to-single-cluster-with-more-cases-expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Its the same everywhere. Without exception.

Completely wrong. Some similar curves of totally different magnitudes.

The difference between regimes couldn't be more stark!!

I have yeah. My point is that things have accelerated rapidly since the start of July; cases have more than doubled in 1.5 months and deaths increased 7 fold.

And the wider point, look at the relatively very low numbers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

New Zealand delay elections because of Covid. Could you image the media hysteria if the US or the UK did that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

faceman wrote: »

The Donald Trump approach, fewer tests, fewer cases.

Next they’ll be suggesting postponing elections...oh...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

statesaver wrote: »
    New Zealand delay elections because of Covid. Could you image the media hysteria if the US or the UK did that ?
    It's constitutionally allowed in New Zealand. It's also allowed in the U.S. if the House and Senate agree to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Not as few tests as Germany - about 11% of the population tested, China 6%, UK about 21% (on Par with US also 21%), Spain 15%, Brazil 6.3%...so on and so forth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

How Jacinda doesn't get the negative press Ill never understand

People tend to trust her, maybe? An unknown concept in modern British politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭gral6

Now, everyone gets that NZ approach does not work and it will never work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

gral6 wrote: »
    Now, everyone gets that NZ approach does not work and it will never work.

Strange take. No deaths since May. 22 deaths in total. In a far far better position than we are. Highly doubt they regret their approach.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Strange take. No deaths since May. 22 deaths in total. In a far far better position than we are. Highly doubt they regret their approach.

These are special people who blame our government for making a shambles of things and want to lambast those who got it right too. Just angry cranks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

She is a bit upset by Donald Trump referring to NZ at a rally yesterday - she is right to be annoyed as he was exaggerating. But she should also realise it is not usually a good idea for a leader of one country to make comments about the approach of another.

So, as it's been predicted, NZ's approach for elimination has dramatically failed.

Are you gloating

Are you gloating

Sure. Such a failure

• Advertisement

Pathetic

Advertisement