Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs New Zealand

Options

Comments

hmmm wrote: »
    Psychologically it must be very tough. They are going from almost no restrictions to overnight hard lockdown with no warning, and this will repeat in the coming months.

At least ours we have a consistent level of restrictions, which isn't going to change hugely (even if we have local lockdowns).

I'm not sure which I'd prefer. I think businesses which are allowed open can plan better in the latter scenario.

A full lockdown followed by entirely reopening except tourism versus letting the virus do its this.

This is a no-brainer to me.

Tourism is down worldwide.

And in one scenario there is a possibility of people dying.

We should correct this idea that NZ economy is flying because a crowd of people was at the crusaders game. The latest IMF forecast has NZ GDP contracting more than Ireland in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 8,619 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

We should correct this idea that NZ economy is flying because a crowd of people was at the crusaders game. The latest IMF forecast has NZ GDP contracting more than Ireland in 2020

Exactly, I mean you could open Croke park for a GAA game tomorrow and it would be full many times over, doesn't mean the economy is flying.

The new cluster in NZ represents a 100% increase in the number of cases and has brought them back to where Ireland was in March.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Exactly, I mean you could open Croke park for a GAA game tomorrow and it would be full many times over, doesn't mean the economy is flying.

The new cluster in NZ represents a 100% increase in the number of cases and has brought them back to where Ireland was in March.

What do you reckon.. Should they get try back to normality or have five months like Ireland's just had?

What do you reckon.. Should they get try back to normality or have five months like Ireland's just had?

there won't be normality until a treatment/vaccine/cure is found...

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    there won't be normality until a treatment/vaccine/cure is found...

I don't know about that. I just had three and a half months of normality where Covid-19 was old news. Apart from these threads, I never thought of it. No masks. No social distancing. And I'm looking forward to hopefully getting back there again soon.

Temporary normality is more than welcome in the countries that are able to attempt it.

Certainly illustrates how they got back to a sense of normality for 3 months. If you had the opportunity to do that, would you not take it? (I'm not saying it's possible for Ireland to do that) Is it purely tourism that is putting Ireland in a better position or is the economy of these two nations more complicated than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I really don't get this thread. How months of victory can suddenly turn into "sure that was a waste of time" because they get a few cases.
    Probably because of the "victory" that nobody has actually won and are unlikely to "win" until we can vaccinate. Fight it sure but be aware that it's probably not going away for a good long while.

I don't know about that. I just had three and a half months of normality where Covid-19 was old news. Apart from these threads, I never thought of it. No masks. No social distancing. And I'm looking forward to hopefully getting back there again soon.
    Temporary normality is more than welcome in the countries that are able to attempt it.

True, but can also lead to complacency, which could have compounded the current flare up they are having...
    If people think it's all over then the masks, social distancing and extra hygiene can all go out the window.
    Although it's better than the constant fear we're being kept in by FFFG/RTE here...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Certainly illustrates how they got back to a sense of normality for 3 months. If you had the opportunity to do that, would you not take it? (I'm not saying it's possible for Ireland to do that) Is it purely tourism that is putting Ireland in a better position or is the economy of these two nations more complicated than that?
    When countries have gone at this with a phased approach like ourselves, it offers a greater range of possible responses based on cases emerging. We've only stepped back one level in the midlands and the impression is that it is working. For NZ it seems to be on or off and that comes with its own problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think there is an issue in suggesting we can achieve what NZ have. Is it not simply too late? The virus is too well spread around the country to get to 0 barring a lengthy, heavy shutdown?

AdamD wrote: »
    I think there is an issue in suggesting we can achieve what NZ have. Is it not simply too late? The virus is too well spread around the country to get to 0 barring a lengthy, heavy shutdown?

Internally, I reckon you'd have to put F0 into quarantine hotels and force F1 to isolate at home. So no, Ireland can't do it. And that's before thinking about borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

Interesting reading in this thread - haven't been to boards in years but was curious how this latest spate of cases is being perceived back home (I live in NZ).

I'm not an economist so I don't know which is the better strategy in the long run, but NZ doesn't rely on tourism in the same way that Ireland does. Since the borders have closed the people who would normally be spending 1000's overseas have been staycationing and spending their money here, which seems to have helped the tourism industry a bit. There's loads of skiing in NZ so plenty people get stuck into that in Winter, and the Summers are really good, so it's about as good a country to have a local holiday in as there is. I can tell you that who people who live in New Zealand have never been happier to live in NZ than they/we have over the last 4 months, so purely from a mental health perspective it's been amazing. Nearly every day you'd have a conversation with someone about how lucky we are. Apart from contact tracing life has been normal here since April, and watching the rest of the world try to combat this thing feels a bit like a movie.

I've never quite understood why Ireland didn't close the borders - was it just because of economic impact? Did we have the ability to get together with NI and unite against this thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Doubs wrote: »
    Interesting reading in this thread - haven't been to boards in years but was curious how this latest spate of cases is being perceived back home (I live in NZ).

I'm not an economist so I don't know which is the better strategy in the long run, but NZ doesn't rely on tourism in the same way that Ireland does. Since the borders have closed the people who would normally be spending 1000's overseas have been staycationing and spending their money here, which seems to have helped the tourism industry a bit. There's loads of skiing in NZ so plenty people get stuck into that in Winter, and the Summers are really good, so it's about as good a country to have a local holiday in as there is. I can tell you that who people who live in New Zealand have never been happier to live in NZ than they/we have over the last 4 months, so purely from a mental health perspective it's been amazing. Nearly every day you'd have a conversation with someone about how lucky we are. Apart from contact tracing life has been normal here since April, and watching the rest of the world try to combat this thing feels a bit like a movie.

I've never quite understood why Ireland didn't close the borders - was it just because of economic impact? Did we have the ability to get together with NI and unite against this thing?

Can't close the border in the north, the government up there are determined to follow westminister who've been a disaster, that's it in a nutshell. It wouldn't work anyway, we are too connected to the USA and europe. NZ is isolated by comparison.

is_that_so wrote: »
    When countries have gone at this with a phased approach like ourselves, it offers a greater range of possible responses based on cases emerging. We've only stepped back one level in the midlands and the impression is that it is working. For NZ it seems to be on or off and that comes with its own problems.

The massive benefit to the "on or off" approach is a normal life though. No sickness, no paranoia, can meet who you want, travel around as much as you want, go on a pub crawl... I dunno why I'm listing what a normal life is, I'm sure you are aware :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I went out a New Zealander for about two years eight years ago, got to know quite a small number of her friends here of which a couple were from NZ and one whom I ended up working with was a New Zealander too.

They are a great bunch. Pragmatic, honest, caring and hard working folks. Lovely folks but don’t take shît.

They were all very ‘pro people’... looking after friends, family, loved ones. When the job was going south due to a change in management and them wanting the sun moon and stars, NZ guy on about 60 grand stood up to and with colleagues, led the line... when my NZ ex had her dad get violent with her mother because of drink... he was cut off for ‘years’ till he got his act together..

Irish are too fond of rolling over, concocting easy reasons why things ‘cannot’ be done.. instead of finding a way through leadership, intelligence and fortitude to overcome obstacles and make tough and hard decisions... REGARDLESS of whose nose gets put out of joint... “ ahhh bubbly bu but businessesess, economy, mental health, bubububu... its a fûckin jokeshop of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Shows how pointless the 0 approach is.

They only have 22 deaths. They've had 100 days of normality. It's clearly a good strategy. Still think we could achieve it but unfortunately it's going to be up to the public to demand it which I can't see happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Strumms wrote: »
    I went out a New Zealander for about two years eight years ago, got to know quite a small number of her friends here of which a couple were from NZ and one whom I ended up working with was a New Zealander too.

They are a great bunch. Pragmatic, honest, caring and hard working folks. Lovely folks but don’t take shît.

They were all very ‘pro people’... looking after friends, family, loved ones. When the job was going south due to a change in management and them wanting the sun moon and stars, NZ guy on about 60 grand stood up to and with colleagues, led the line... when my NZ ex had her dad get violent with her mother because of drink... he was cut off for ‘years’ till he got his act together..

Irish are too fond of rolling over, concocting easy reasons why things ‘cannot’ be done.. instead of finding a way through leadership, intelligence and fortitude to overcome obstacles and make tough and hard decisions... REGARDLESS of whose nose gets put out of joint... “ ahhh bubbly bu but businessesess, economy, mental health, bubububu... its a fûckin jokeshop of a country.

Will you go away you soft ****er, its a virus, get the **** over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I really don't get this thread. How months of victory can suddenly turn into "sure that was a waste of time" because they get a few cases.

But the thing is, the virus was there the whole time. These cases didn't just turn up on a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Shows how pointless the 0 approach is.

You're an idiot...

How is it pointless?

We've just had 100 days of normality, I've been able to live a normal life here that I wouldn't in Ireland

We have 1 active cluster at the moment, 1

• Advertisement

But the thing is, the virus was there the whole time. These cases didn't just turn up on a bus.

The funny thing is, it literally could have turned up on a bus. One of the theories is that they had close contact with one of the managed isolation bus drivers

The virus definitely has not been here the whole time, we have had constant testing, over 500,000 people have now been tested

Apparently it will be announced soon that we have cases in the Waikato, hopefully part of the same cluster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Timmyr wrote: »
    Apparently it will be announced soon that we have cases in the Waikato, hopefully part of the same cluster

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/reply/2058073866/post/114301454

I think all you guys have done is suppressed the virus, it's still waiting.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/reply/2058073866/post/114301454

I think all you guys have done is suppressed the virus, it's still waiting.

still the same cluster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Timmyr wrote: »
    still the same cluster

Unless your country's plan is long-term isolationism I genuinely cannot see how you keep Covid out. Already it was suggested it was imported on freight unless the source has changed.

Unless your country's plan is long-term isolationism I genuinely cannot see how you keep Covid out. Already it was suggested it was imported on freight unless the source has changed.

What do you think they should do?

Its highly unlikely it was imported on freight, thats just hearsay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

The plan for countries who have managed to keep Covid under control is to maintain the status until a vaccine or better treatment method is available.

What alternate plan do you suggest?

The plan is long term isolation of NZ as a country if needed, anyone coming in has to do 14 managed isolation

That worked for the last 100 days, it can work again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Do you have a link for this?

Advertisement