Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Does anybody know how much notice Aer Lingus are giving for flight cancellations? I have a flight on May 24th and I haven't got an cancellation email yet. Just this morning I got the usual apply for a refund one. I check flight history and flight hasn't flown since March.

Also have a Ryanair flight for a later date and got a cancellation email yesterday. Seems Aer Lingus are quite slow to announce. Probably hoping people take the voucher option the closer it gets in fear the flight might go.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭limabromac

Does anybody know how much notice Aer Lingus are giving for flight cancellations? I have a flight on May 24th and I haven't got an cancellation email yet. Just this morning I got the usual apply for a refund one. I check flight history and flight hasn't flown since March.

Also have a Ryanair flight for a later date and got a cancellation email yesterday. Seems Aer Lingus are quite slow to announce. Probably hoping people take the voucher option the closer it gets in fear the flight might go.

It depends on where you are flying. They still might be operating the flight if it is to the UK.
    AL are slower than Ryanair. The 24th is just over the two week mark so they could still cancel in the next few days...don't check in and wait and they more than likely will cancel .but it is a waiting game...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

limabromac wrote: »
    It depends on where you are flying. They still might be operating the flight if it is to the UK.
    AL are slower than Ryanair. The 24th is just over the two week mark so they could still cancel in the next few days...don't check in and wait and they more than likely will cancel .but it is a waiting game...

It's to Faro, Portugal. March 28th was the last flight out. 29th for the return leg. I'm in no rush for the refunded cash. As long as I get it at some stage. I'm guessing any potential change to refund laws can't be retrospectively applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

Caranica wrote: »
    The State will guarantee refunds for package holidays, in the form of credit notes.

This is kinda bizarre but reassuring at the same time.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/state-to-guarantee-refunds-for-package-holidays-in-form-of-credit-notes-39192572.html

Kinda bizarre and reassuring is right.

The mandatory voucher will be limited to 6 months and to "Irish-registered travel agents and tour operations "
    who "in circumstances where they are not able to provide a cash refund or a full cash refund"
    but the EU Travel Package Directive will still apply.

Reassuring:
    Voucher is guaranteed by the state.

Limited to 6 months.

No mandatory interest free loan from passengers to cash rich Aer Lingus and Ryanair.

Bizarre:
    Were Irish travel agents and tour operators not guaranteed under bonding schemes already?

Agents and operators will have to publicly declare that they can't refund customers.
    That would be the kiss of death for any future business and it only lasts for 6 months.

I think Boards can claim some credit for taking the cash rich airlines out of this mandatory voucher law.

In fairness the travel agents were screwed by the airlines as much as the consumers.
    The airlines unilaterally shut down the automated refund system.

Remember that the flights cost of any holiday can be pursued directly from the airlines
    and through the SCC and www.flightrights.ie even if the holiday was booked through a travel agent.

It's to Faro, Portugal. March 28th was the last flight out. 29th for the return leg. I'm in no rush for the refunded cash. As long as I get it at some stage. I'm guessing any potential change to refund laws can't be retrospectively applied.

Fingers crossed that they cancel it for you.. .

leo did say that any law couldn't be retrospectively applied however his party also signed a letter to the EU asking for the law to be changed so it looks like anything is possible...

• Advertisement

I called AIB yesterday to get an update on the chargeback nearly 3 weeks ago and they gave me an email to send all my evidence in that I have tried for a refund from ryanair. They didn't give much hope as they stipulated that it is a long process..but at least it's something to do...

Regarding flightrights..they also called yesterday to say that they hadn't started the claim process yet but that they were extremely busy but that my claim is valid and should be successful. She stated the case should take around 3 months.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Budget travel have told us the balance of our June holiday to Spain will not have to be paid and as soon a Ryanair cancel the flights (thought they said had but they are still on the app) it will trigger a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭kelzer

We had booked return flights to Mexico through etravel.ie which were cancelled for departure 28th May. They only offered a cash refund of 134 euro for both tickets (they said the tickets were booked as non-refundable and we are just entitled to the tax portion). This was before the introduction of the state guarantee credit note.

My questions is will this new guarantee scheme mean we can still only claim the 134 back or would we be entitled to the full amount? They did say we can reschedule the flights and they will not charge a rebooking fee, only price difference to pay.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

kelzer wrote: »
    We had booked return flights to Mexico through etravel.ie which were cancelled for departure 28th May. They only offered a cash refund of 134 euro for both tickets (they said the tickets were booked as non-refundable and we are just entitled to the tax portion). This was before the introduction of the state guarantee credit note.

My questions is will this new guarantee scheme mean we can still only claim the 134 back or would we be entitled to the full amount? They did say we can reschedule the flights and they will not charge a rebooking fee, only price difference to pay.

The airline broke the contract not you, you are entitled a a 100% refund.

Most places changed their non refundable clauses as covid 19 was an unprecedented unforeseeable event so maybe question their refund policy again and ask them about the state gaurantee as they might claim the money back under this new scheme...the flights are the 28th May so they are in the future so they should be covered ...(in my eyes everything is covered and no one should be out of pocket but that's just my view)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭kelzer

Most places changed their non refundable clauses as covid 19 was an unprecedented unforeseeable event so maybe question their refund policy again and ask them about the state gaurantee as they might claim the money back under this new scheme...the flights are the 28th May so they are in the future so they should be covered ...(in my eyes everything is covered and no one should be out of pocket but that's just my view)

If they still say no is that the end of the line or can I escalate it elsewhere?

If they still say no is that the end of the line or can I escalate it elsewhere?

Ask for their response and reasons in writing. Are they going to claim the money they've lost back from the govt guarantee (if so then that is your money)

Maybe you could take the response to the small claims court if it's under 2000... Have you received the refund already and have you agreed to accept the refund?

Maybe a complaint to the consumer regulation authority?
    Or can you open a chargeback on your credit/debit card...

.there is some great info provided by paddy19 on the scc process on a sticky at the start of this thread too...it may help...

Hope this helps. : )

Let's be absolutely clear.
    If the airline cancelled the flights,
    you are entitled to a full cash refund
    of the full amount you paid, including tax and charges.

(The non-refundable clause only applies if you cancelled the flight.)

This has nothing to do with the state scheme.

You can reference the following statement from the
    Commission for Aviation Regulation who have licenced etravel.ie (TA0548).

If your flight is cancelled - regardless of when you are notified of the cancellation
    - your air carrier must offer you the choice between:
    1. re-routing as close as possible to the original departure time;
    2. re-routing at a later date; or
    3. a refund of the cost of the unused flight ticket."

https://www.flightrights.ie/passenger-rights/cancellations.19.html

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭D8 boy

I was due to fly with Ryanair at the end of March. They cancelled the flight, I applied for a refund with some difficulties on their online form, and then later got the email offering a voucher. I ignored this and applied to BOI for a chargeback on my credit card. They don't make it an easy process; you have to printout a form and all the supporting documents and post it to them. I heard nothing from BOI in 2.5 weeks but I notice that the amount has been credited back to my card. So thank you Bank of Ireland!
    I paid via Paypal for another FR flight which was cancelled. Fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Ryanair announced a Sale for flights in 2021 to some destinations. I had a quick browse for autumn 2021. Prices similar to normal autumn destinations....maybe up 10%. Then I had a look at the prices for spring 2021....much higher than normal.
    It looks to me that you will be adding a lot of money to the voucher that you got for your cancelled 2020 flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

AL sent me the one automated email when I lodged refund request. That was just over a month ago. Nothing since. Tried one last time on facebook today and they never responded. I will instigate a chargeback with my bank tomorrow (DKB, German bank, so hopefully they couldn't care less about some shady Irish airline). Very disappointed in AL.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GenuineFan

I had booked a holiday to Dubai with Emirates Holidays for the end of March. They offered me the options to change the dates, receive a voucher or contact my travel insurance for a refund. I thought this was a bit iffy, but I contacted VHI Multitrip and started the process which they agreed to, which I thought was a bit odd. I eventually got a letter from VHI Multitrip saying that Emirates Holidays were liable for the refund. I rang Emirates Holidays and there was no issue and they said they would refund me. I received the refund today.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Has anyone received a (COVID related) Aer Lingus Voucher recently? Applied on the 20th March, got an acknowledgement email two weeks later, nothing since. Was v. happy to support them and rebook with the voucher at a future date, but this delay is taking the mick.

Was hoping to send a follow up email today to ask, but it says not to contact them unless I have a flight within 72 hours and there's no email address given either. How have people been following up with AL? By phone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Has anyone received a (COVID related) Aer Lingus Voucher recently? Applied on the 20th March, got an acknowledgement email two weeks later, nothing since. Was v. happy to support them and rebook with the voucher at a future date, but this delay is taking the mick.

Was hoping to send a follow up email today to ask, but it says not to contact them unless I have a flight within 72 hours and there's no email address given either. How have people been following up with AL? By phone?

What’s the rush?

What’s the rush?
    The potential bankruptcy of the airline. If you owed them money do you think their accounts department would be saying "what's the rush?"

IMO they are not processing claims as quickly as possible. They are stalling, hoping for some legislation that lets them out of their current legal responsibility.

The very least they could do is tell you which case numbers they are currently processing. Why don't they do that so people see roughly how many cases are being processed? It's too transparent for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ryanair CEO on PK now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Just got an Aer Lingus flight "voucher +10%" offer email this morning, our flights to Portugal on 18th May have been cancelled, the problem is that I booked the complete package (flights,hotel & transfers on the 'Holidays with Aerlingus' site & as of today AL seem to be only offering a vouchers for the flights & don't mention the hotel/transfers.
    ** UPDATE** 40min on hold to AL holidays,..anyone have any idea how long AL keep you on hold?...any I wasting my time?

Ryanair CEO on PK now

Did they say anything about my refund? : )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Did they say anything about my refund? : )

You're last on list he said.

You're last on list he said.

Figured as much... ; )

They probably will block me because I have initiated a chargeback with AIB . And my flightrights dispute too...defo last on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Just got an email from Vueling saying one of my flights (out at the end of June) was cancelled and they could either reschedule or refund partial or the whole booking. I've started the refund process but have to say, that considering I did no pestering at all, I'm impressed to be getting the option of a refund 6 weeks in advance. If anything, I'd be more likely to use them in future

Ironically Vuelling and Aer Lingus are both IAG subsidiaries. Very different approaches it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

D8 boy wrote: »
    I was due to fly with Ryanair at the end of March. They cancelled the flight, I applied for a refund with some difficulties on their online form, and then later got the email offering a voucher. I ignored this and applied to BOI for a chargeback on my credit card. They don't make it an easy process; you have to printout a form and all the supporting documents and post it to them. I heard nothing from BOI in 2.5 weeks but I notice that the amount has been credited back to my card. So thank you Bank of Ireland!
    I paid via Paypal for another FR flight which was cancelled. Fingers crossed...

I’m the same. Just noticed today I got refunded 590euro from BOI MasterCard. Delighted with them. My only slight fear is could Ryanair try and take it back again? Mightn’t be worth their while as they have me with the Mickey Mouse voucher waiting to be refunded anyway.

I’m the same. Just noticed today I got refunded 590euro from BOI MasterCard. Delighted with them. My only slight fear is could Ryanair try and take it back again? Mightn’t be worth their while as they have me with the Mickey Mouse voucher waiting to be refunded anyway.

That's great.
    No I think your safe enough. Although........

Fair dues to Bank of Ireland Master card to are showing AIB /PTSB for the lazy yahoos that they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 golfrules

I was due to Fly with Ryanair 3rd May. Did everything you did with Ryanair. . Submitted Claim to SCC on 27 April and sent paperwork to BOI today for chargeback to my Credit Card as well. Will let ye know how I get on...

Advertisement