Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

Response from AIB chargeback team...I started the dispute 3 weeks ago and I didn't hear anything so I rang and they told to email all the proof etc...I did ... If I didn't ring them they would have not have come looking for it...so definitely give them a call if you find yourself waiting...still gonna take months tho... flightrights might be faster...

Thank you for your documents to the disputed transaction. We have attached it to your file. We are unable to discuss chargeback disputes via e-mail, but once we have an update we will be in touch with you via post.

Please be advised that this email address is to receive documentation only.

We are currently receiving a higher than normal amount of disputes and we are unable to provide any timeframe for your dispute.

If you have any queries please contact one of our customer service advisors on the number on the back of your card.

Kind Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭paddy19

limabromac wrote: »
    Response from AIB chargeback team...I started the dispute 3 weeks ago and I didn't hear anything so I rang and they told to email all the proof etc...I did ... If I didn't ring them they would have not have come looking for it...so definitely give them a call if you find yourself waiting...still gonna take months tho... flightrights might be faster...

Thank you for your documents to the disputed transaction. We have attached it to your file. We are unable to discuss chargeback disputes via e-mail, but once we have an update we will be in touch with you via post.

Please be advised that this email address is to receive documentation only.

We are currently receiving a higher than normal amount of disputes and we are unable to provide any time frame for your dispute.

If you have any queries please contact one of our customer service advisors on the number on the back of your card.

Kind Regards,

This is the MOL defence.

We're horrid busy and can't process refunds.

Well at least they have removed there original feck off notice which they put on the chargeback form on 23/4/2020:

"If your dispute relates to a booking cancelled by a hotel or airline due to Government Restrictions related to Covid-19
    and they have offered you a credit note towards a future booking we regret that we are unable to request a refund on your behalf."

They removed it on the 29/4/2020.

Somebody must had a quiet word, telling them you can't actually just blanket refuse to work a chargeback because you can spell Covid.

I'd bung in an official complaint contrasting there response to Bank of Ireland.

The folks in AIB don't like being told they are not up Bank standard!

https://aib.ie/personal-forms/complaint-form

paddy19 wrote: »
    This is the MOL defence.

We're horrid busy and can't process refunds.

Well at least they have removed there original feck off notice which they put on the chargeback form on 23/4/2020:

"If your dispute relates to a booking cancelled by a hotel or airline due to Government Restrictions related to Covid-19
    and they have offered you a credit note towards a future booking we regret that we are unable to request a refund on your behalf."

They removed it on the 29/4/2020.

Somebody must had a quiet word, telling them you can't actually just blanket refuse to work a chargeback because you can spell Covid.

I'd bung in an official complaint contrasting there response to Bank of Ireland.

The folks in AIB don't like being told they are not up Bank standard!

https://aib.ie/personal-forms/complaint-form

Thankyou Paddy19...

Imagine the original response from AIB when I rang them on the 20th April was that the govt and visa international have told them that they cannot take the dispute.. I wasn't happy with that response so I called back the next day and they lady tried to deter me again which I refused so they opened the dispute....
    I also contacted visa international to question them about this and so far they have said that I need to dispute this with my bank...

I think an overall complaint letter is the way to go as all the calls are recorded and can be traced with AIB giving out information that is false....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Got on to Ryanair chat again today, wait was only about 15 minutes this afternoon which was almost reasonable. First agent disappeared. New agent took over, asked me some details then acted like they couldn't see my replies and kept sending "you haven't been active for 2 minutes so I will disconnect the chat shortly" messages. Then they sent a link to reconnect but that put me back in a queue.

Basically they said that the agent who told me on 30 March that they had resubmitted by refund to Paypal and I would have it in 28 days was only giving me an estimated time (despite the agent promising it would be paid then).

Long story short, no refund was sent to Paypal on 30 March and they claim they had no record of me refusing voucher, despite me responding within minutes of getting the email. I lodged the refund request on 11 March so 9 weeks ago now.

Have decided to tackle PayPal again in the meantime, someone on here posted a success story but I've failed in a dispute and then a dispute about the outcome but I decided to go again. Nothing from CAR despite lodging the claim with them three weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 golfrules

Caranica wrote: »
    Got on to Ryanair chat again today, wait was only about 15 minutes this afternoon which was almost reasonable. First agent disappeared. New agent took over, asked me some details then acted like they couldn't see my replies and kept sending "you haven't been active for 2 minutes so I will disconnect the chat shortly" messages. Then they sent a link to reconnect but that put me back in a queue.

Basically they said that the agent who told me on 30 March that they had resubmitted by refund to Paypal and I would have it in 28 days was only giving me an estimated time (despite the agent promising it would be paid then).

Long story short, no refund was sent to Paypal on 30 March and they claim they had no record of me refusing voucher, despite me responding within minutes of getting the email. I lodged the refund request on 11 March so 9 weeks ago now.

Have decided to tackle PayPal again in the meantime, someone on here posted a success story but I've failed in a dispute and then a dispute about the outcome but I decided to go again. Nothing from CAR despite lodging the claim with them three weeks ago.
    I had the same problem with Ryanair chat - I took a screenshot of the chat and printed it off. No harm to have as it shows the time of the chat and you have proof that you were answering the questions, which they chose to ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭joinme

Have had a long haul flight cancelled by airline (Virgin). I had booked flight with an online Irish travel agent. The flight deal included a short flight of Dub to Gatwick with Aer Lingus. The agent said they can process my refund with the airline but must charge me a 'refund processing fee' of 80e, which seems steep and I was not expecting any fees to get my refund. Is this normal practise for Irish travel agents or are they trying it on with customers due to the pandemic?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Does anyone know much about Airbnb? I see their refund policy is quite gd at present but not sure if they can maintain it.
    France booked for August and slightly worried, second payment is due out of account mid July. So if I cancel now I lose the 50%, however, if I let it go over the mid July date I could lose a lot more.
    At present I'm waiting to see if host cancels.
    Also France might be allowing some countries to holiday but maybe not UK and Ireland so how is that policed. Minefield

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi, I have a flight booked for the family to Portugal for the 20th June.
    Wont be traveling. I want to try and get a refund, no interest in anything else.

What is the best plan of attack, I presume I have to wait until after the flight or near to the flight to begin the whole process.

I also presume I cannot do anything now, kind of in limbo land. by 20th June, I may be able to travel to the airport 100km away and the flight may indeed be running, if this is the case and the flight goes, have I any leg to stand on.

just got refunded my car hire and car parking without the blink of an eye. pity these airline's are such w@nks. and of course I did have to go and book with Ryanair, last year was aer lingus, presume that would have been an easier ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

milhous wrote: »
    Does anyone know much about Airbnb? I see their refund policy is quite gd at present but not sure if they can maintain it.
    France booked for August and slightly worried, second payment is due out of account mid July. So if I cancel now I lose the 50%, however, if I let it go over the mid July date I could lose a lot more.
    At present I'm waiting to see if host cancels.
    Also France might be allowing some countries to holiday but maybe not UK and Ireland so how is that policed. Minefield

It depends on hosts. I cancelled a booking today for Wales in June. Hosts' refund policy was "moderate" but I got a full refund in under 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Flight rights complaint submitted, thanks Paddy19, I will report on progress.

Just wondering if you had any success with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Caranica wrote: »
    It depends on hosts. I cancelled a booking today for Wales in June. Hosts' refund policy was "moderate" but I got a full refund in under 5 minutes.

Yeah ours is "strict". I thought it was an Airbnb refund policy due to covid not individual hosts. Hopefully get a refund although I'd go if we could get into the country, isolated villa. Be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

In relation to Aerlingus vouchers, can more than 1 voucher be used when booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

obi604 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a flight booked for the family to Portugal for the 20th June.
    Wont be traveling. I want to try and get a refund, no interest in anything else.

What is the best plan of attack, I presume I have to wait until after the flight or near to the flight to begin the whole process.

I also presume I cannot do anything now, kind of in limbo land. by 20th June, I may be able to travel to the airport 100km away and the flight may indeed be running, if this is the case and the flight goes, have I any leg to stand on.

just got refunded my car hire and car parking without the blink of an eye. pity these airline's are such w@nks. and of course I did have to go and book with Ryanair, last year was aer lingus, presume that would have been an easier ride.
    If you look at your ryanair booking i'd say it's cancelled already. I've just checked Dublin- Faro and all dates blanked out bar the 27th June and 30th which means Ryanair have cancelled, so you can click on your booking and hit the refund option. About 3 weeks later you'll get the voucher email, like myself.

milhous wrote: »
    Yeah ours is "strict". I thought it was an Airbnb refund policy due to covid not individual hosts. Hopefully get a refund although I'd go if we could get into the country, isolated villa. Be grand

We had a strict policy home booked in April. If the host cancels pre-pandemic you get a full refund and they get a mark against their superhost checklist with a fee.. however because of the pandemic if the host cancels now you will get your refund and the host will not be charged by Airbnb so Airbnb protects both parties. The country in which we were flying to had a strict no tourist ban in April so our host contacted Airbnb to see where her bookings stood and we received a full refund in 2 days

That was April so hopefully Airbnb are still operating this policy and protecting both host and service user... tourist travel is all but cancelled globally so I would say Airbnb are still allowing refunds on strict bookings. I found them excellent to communicate with. And I email our host every now and then to say hello and hope she is keeping well as one day we will get to her home...

If you look at your ryanair booking i'd say it's cancelled already. I've just checked Dublin- Faro and all dates blanked out bar the 27th June and 30th which means Ryanair have cancelled, so you can click on your booking and hit the refund option. About 3 weeks later you'll get the voucher email, like myself.

Right. I just thought I could not start the process until after the flight date.

Right. I just thought I could not start the process until after the flight date.

If you look at your bookings on their app/website and see that the flight is cancelled then you can click the refund / change date button.

If you look at your bookings on their app/website and see that the flight is cancelled then you can click the refund / change date button.

Went on the app there. Found flights etc. Half afraid to click on things. Didn’t go any further than the attached screen. But seems I can check in for the outgoing flight and in 7 minutes from now can check in to the flight home (weird)

Went on the app there. Found flights etc. Half afraid to click on things. Didn’t go any further than the attached screen. But seems I can check in for the outgoing flight and in 7 minutes from now can check in to the flight home (weird)

They look like they are not cancelled yet...don't check in anyway as ryanair have to un check you manually if you want to reschedule so you have to contact them. It's a waiting game for now but closer to the time a big red cancelled will come across the booking and you will receive an email that your flight has cancelled... just double check the website aswell under My Bookings to be sure that they are not cancelled yet.. you would have received an email cancellation notification aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Not really weird, check in opens a specific time from the flight

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    Not really weird, check in opens a specific time from the flight

Right. I thought normally you could only check in to flights 2 or 3 days in advance of the flight date.

• Advertisement

Right. I thought normally you could only check in to flights 2 or 3 days in advance of the flight date.

Priority booking is approx month before the flight...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

No, normally a few good weeks before. Keep checking your booking today, I'd say it'll show up on it later that it's cancelled.

I don’t have priority. Flight is over 5 weeks from now.

No, normally a few good weeks before. Keep checking your booking today, I'd say it'll show up on it later that it's cancelled.

Ok. But I don't get why you think it’s going to happen today. Flight is over 5 weeks away. Why would they be cancelling today, as opposed to yesterday or tomorrow etc

Keep checking the website for a big red cancelled on your flights under my bookings and you will receive an email that your flight are cancelled too .. : )
    Then you will have options ...

Keep checking the website for a big red cancelled on your flights under my bookings and you will receive an email that your flight are cancelled too .. : )
    Then you will have options ...

Ryanair issue cancellations around two weeks before the flight. AL issue cancellations a bit closer to the take off...if your flight is still scheduled now you will have to wait until they cancel which will be evident from a cancellation email and your flights being in red on app or website, there will be no option to check in only an option for rescheduling not refund. .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ryanair issue cancellations around two weeks before the flight. AL issue cancellations a bit closer to the take off...if your flight is still scheduled now you will have to wait until they cancel which will be evident from a cancellation email and your flights being in red on app or website, there will be no option to check in only an option for rescheduling not refund. .
    In our case AL didn't bother sending any cancellation email for the outbound leg! They would have happily let us all trundle to the airport to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Just wondering if you had any success with this?

Havent heard from them since initial email confirming receipt of my complaint

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

murphaph wrote: »
    In our case AL didn't bother sending any cancellation email for the outbound leg! They would have happily let us all trundle to the airport to find out.

they advised me my flight home from Philadelphia (18th March) was cancelled a week after it was meant to fly haha.

chose not to fly on the outbound leg due to the outbreak (13th March)

got the full booking refunded though :D

Advertisement