Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Broadband 29.99, 12 month contract

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Cupatae wrote: »
    Id advise anyone to not go near EIR customer service is shocking bad, wait till you try cancel and they keep charging you.. then lie say they never got your request to cancel keep you on hold for a hour hoping u get bored and leave it off.

Avoid like the plague!

Had exactly this experience trying to cancel a mobile broadband sim. Wrote to them twice as per TandC, then they were still taking direct debit. Rang and for through to someone who could not help me. Gave me another no that had a eircom message on it.

Have been hours on hold on the phone. Social Media useless. All they could tell me was that they did not have a record of the phone no and that they don't cancel accounts any more by writing in because of GDPR.

Nothing to do with GDPR, just an excuse to make it harder to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

TheDriver wrote: »
    Did you have to sign up for 12 months again?[Assuming youre an existing customer)

Yes, had to sign up for 12 months again and yes I am an existing customer.

Is virgin media still on boards.ie to get a decent deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Despite my concerns, herself wanted higher speed than we have with three.

So went online, got to the final part and lo and behold, their system could not complete the or. "order is being completed" just spins and spins.

Tried it twice, same issue.

What an abysmal company.

Will probably get two direct debits now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Is virgin media still on boards.ie to get a decent deal?

https://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1546

No the closed in December 19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 catandmouse

Eir are a disaster to deal with. It is very easy to get in contact with them when you join but if there is problem you will never get it sorted
    I would love a cheaper broadband but I know from past experience they will charge me extra and I'll spend months and waste a lot of valuable time trying to get through to them Very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

For those having issues with eir...

- Call and log the issue
    - Call again if not solved as agreed. Escalate to a manager if needed (yes this will mean being polite with firm with the agents as generally they will try to offer a callback instead)
    - Explain the issue and what you expect and get a ETA for resolution
    - Make sure you get a name and note the times you called
    - If still not resolved, call Comreg and open a case. Comreg cannot decide on the solution, merely ensure that it's dealt with but it will get things moving
    - You'll then get a call from eir's escalations team. Fast progress should ensue.

I've done this with eir 2/3 times now over the years when things get bogged down and it's been successful. To be fair, if you have a single fixed price service from them (like broadband @ 35 a month) with no other offers or add-ons, things usually run smoothly. It's when those are added the mess starts.

When out of contract, either call them up and ask for an offer, or simply port to whoever else... they will take care of the porting and you'll get a final bill from eir. If anything happens after that, call your bank and repeat the steps above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

RTE reporting today that Eir are the most complained against mobile and fixed operator (Vodafone next and complaints per customer were bigger with Vodafone).

Anyway, the complaints about Eir here are reflected in the stats. Taking up this offer risks a customer service nightmare.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

- Call and log the issue
    - Call again if not solved as agreed. Escalate to a manager if needed (yes this will mean being polite with firm with the agents as generally they will try to offer a callback instead)
    - If still not resolved, call Comreg and open a case. Comreg cannot decide on the solution, merely ensure that it's dealt with but it will get things moving
    - You'll then get a call from eir's escalations team. Fast progress should ensue.

I've done this with eir 2/3 times now over the years when things get bogged down and it's been successful. To be fair, if you have a single fixed price service from them (like broadband @ 35 a month) with no other offers or add-ons, things usually run smoothly. It's when those are added the mess starts.

When out of contract, either call them up and ask for an offer, or simply port to whoever else... they will take care of the porting and you'll get a final bill from eir. If anything happens after that, call your bank and repeat the steps above.

Just as a matter of interest, when is the last time you tried calling Eir? You can be on hold for hours.

- Call and log the issue

What phone number did you call because they never answer the phone or never get back to you by email I bought one add on for one month now they keep charging me an extra €10 every month - I have the eir app but I don't see anywhere to cancel this add on

FAIR PLAY to you for getting them to eventually take you seriously - it shouldn't be so so difficult and waste so much of your valuable time getting what is rightfully yours in the first place

• Advertisement

- Call and log the issue

What phone number did you call because they never answer the phone or never get back to you by email I bought one add on for one month now they keep charging me an extra €10 every month - I have the eir app but I don't see anywhere to cancel this add on

FAIR PLAY to you for getting them to eventually take you seriously - it shouldn't be so so difficult and waste so much of your valuable time getting what is rightfully yours in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It helps that I've worked in US call centres at various levels in the past so I've a good idea of what can and can't be done. The key is to remember that most of the time the agent just doesn't have the ability to do what you want, so there's no point in arguing with them - just ask for their manager and remind them that that's why the manager is there, rather than them listening to you. :)

They'll try to get you to accept a callback (which usually doesn't happen) so just politely insist you want to speak to someone higher (don't accept that there's none available either). Also remember that the calls are recorded so be clear on the issue, what you expect, and remain polite and professional (as the recording may be needed to validate what you're saying later on).

It does take persistence, patience and time to get through that initial phase - I don't have a record of the number but forget emails. You'll have to talk to them to get anything done.
    I find calling from the car on the way to the office helps pass the time :p Remember your primary objective is to get it logged so that if you need to go to Comreg, the issue/complaint is already on the system.

In my experience once they get involved and passed on to the escalations team it's been sorted in a few days. This includes messy billing and direct debit problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

It helps that I've worked in US call centres at various levels in the past so I've a good idea of what can and can't be done. The key is to remember that most of the time the agent just doesn't have the ability to do what you want, so there's no point in arguing with them - just ask for their manager and remind them that that's why the manager is there, rather than them listening to you. :)

They'll try to get you to accept a callback (which usually doesn't happen) so just politely insist you want to speak to someone higher (don't accept that there's none available either). Also remember that the calls are recorded so be clear on the issue, what you expect, and remain polite and professional (as the recording may be needed to validate what you're saying later on).

It does take persistence, patience and time to get through that initial phase - I don't have a record of the number but forget emails. You'll have to talk to them to get anything done.
    I find calling from the car on the way to the office helps pass the time :p Remember your primary objective is to get it logged so that if you need to go to Comreg, the issue/complaint is already on the system.

In my experience once they get involved and passed on to the escalations team it's been sorted in a few days. This includes messy billing and direct debit problems.

Gangsters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

I find calling from the car on the way to the office helps pass the time :p

You’d wanna be living in Belfast and working in Cork! I’ve been on hold to them for 3hours a few times!

Today I tried to add TV to my broadband and got a call back. I called at 9.01 but was 45 mins waiting for a agent, then it was obvious that agent was not in Ireland. They logged a call back, but that call came while I was minding my daughter so there was no point. I asked them to call back at 3pm but that never happened...

BBMcQ wrote: »
    You’d wanna be living in Belfast and working in Cork! I’ve been on hold to them for 3hours a few times!

Today I tried to add TV to my broadband and got a call back. I called at 9.01 but was 45 mins waiting for a agent, then it was obvious that agent was not in Ireland. They logged a call back, but that call came while I was minding my daughter so there was no point. I asked them to call back at 3pm but that never happened...

Same eir year in / out crap

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

What kind of technical issues are Eir customers seeing ? Is it equipment or line quality or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭KildareP

askU wrote: »
    What kind of technical issues are Eir customers seeing ? Is it equipment or line quality or what?

The service is generally technically good.
    Backend, admin and billing support is where it all falls apart.
    If you never have to ring them, happy days.
    If you do have to ring them, you need every bit of patience possible.

For those recommending Vodafone, too, they are as inept and incompetent as Eir.

You are better off looking at one of the smaller providers - Digiweb, Airwire, Westnet, etc. Big enough to have in-house technical competence but small enough to care. While they don't have gimmicky promotional periods to switch, their monthly prices are still fairly cheaper than Eir or Vodafone's non-promo price (which they're liable to make a hash of applying the discount at some point and then you have to interact with their "support").

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

KildareP wrote: »
    For those recommending Vodafone, too, they are as inept and incompetent as Eir.

My Vodafone experience:
    - Near impossible to reach by phone.
    - Screwed up the installation date.
    - Mis-charged me for 12 months (undercharge:D)
    - Web chat operated by people who do not have a clue.
    - Company so big nobody knows what is going on.
    - Awful online account, total lack of features.

On the flip side, the fixed broadband has only gone down twice in the last year and it is reliable, and the price is better than Virgin and others. Where they fall down, like Eir, is customer service.

Szero wrote: »
    My Vodafone experience:
    - Near impossible to reach by phone.
    - Screwed up the installation date.
    - Mis-charged me for 12 months (undercharge:D)
    - Web chat operated by people who do not have a clue.
    - Company so big nobody knows what is going on.
    - Awful online account, total lack of features.

On the flip side, the fixed broadband has only gone down twice in the last year and it is reliable, and the price is better than Virgin and others. Where they fall down, like Eir, is customer service.

No prob whatsoever with VF,did,started to publicly air my issues on their Twitter , quickly got a response via DM of course
    PS their live chat admittedly is dire

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

askU wrote: »
    hahaha, where do I start?

1. CPE (customer premises equipment)

-modem has f**ked firmware pre-loaded by Eircom. Say the F2000 modem often gets 'bricked' and they need to post out a new one.
    -the D1000 modem was pre-loaded with open management ports, a huge number of them got taken over by Mirai - it was in the news.
    -the D1000 modem pulls updates the first time you power it on connected to the phone line. If you turn it off while it runs an update the modem will be 'bricked' and you can use it as a door stop. If you look at the lights and all of them are lit bright green - it means it's bricked.
    - the quality of the modems is trash, if you look at the yellow Ethernet ports you will see that there are only 4 golden pins instead of 8

2. Line engineers
    - guy will show up, and drop a card saying he didn't see you (without even knocking)
    - guy will not show up and claim you weren't there
    - guy will connect your neighbor up for broadband by disconnecting you
    - guy will leave some 'hot snot' on cables outside and disappear

3. Line quality
    (this partly has to do with customers and the nature of DSL to be fair)
    - Every Eircom distribution point (Krone box) is always a rat nest
    - the quality of the joints is poor
    - There's always stuff like the box on the top of the pole is missing it's cover.
    - Eircom lines are always shorted. If you take a multimeter you can check for electrical problems on the line (since 1940 when you complain to a phone company they run a volt and ohm meter, you can do it yourself). The line is often shorted to earth (say it's raining on the box), shorted to the other copper wire (the copper pair should show infinite resistance but often one bleeds into the other), because everything is a rat's nest often you have 230V current say from lighting leach into you line so you have deadly voltage on it.
    - DSL is also inherently prone to getting f'd by indirect lighting hits, so say a tree nearby goes down and so goes your home phone and router.

4. Networking mistakes and constant outages
    - when you get connected for broadband they often don't create your customer account properly and never provision you with service. So you're looking at a modem with red internet light for 2 - 4 weeks until you cancel the service.
    - often they misconfigure the fiber network and even though there's proper VDSL sync the modem won't be able to find an IP on the network and therefore never connect.
    - if you request a static IP say for business they mess it up and leave you without service
    - their DNS (resolving say google.com to the server IP) is often down and broken
    - they censor what you browse, say you can't connect to 'kick ass torrents' website and others. They are in bed with the corporations.

5. Support sucks
    - you get a constant run-around the phone system, can spend an entire day being transferred from one person to another. Some of the employees there do it intentionally. Usually when you call them the guy DROPS YOUR SPEED by 1 Mb/s and says it's fixed without ANY troubleshooting.
    - they only staff the sales department, good luck getting support
    - they often make mistakes in the call center, say they will push wrong settings or if you complain about Eircom email they will delete all your email.
    - the employees never have any recollection of your previous phone call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Tried to add TV to my broadband deal, here’s me thinking that it will just be €9.99 added to my bill, currently €39.99 for broadband and phone. Bear in mind currently the deal is TV, broadband and phone for €39.99!!

Day 1, call up, agent can’t help so I request a call back.

Day 2, agent is not in system yet but “don’t worry I’m in charge of the call back schedule so you’ll definitely get a call back”. Never happened. I also asked was I wasting my time trying to get a deal for extending my contract out by a further 12 months “we should be able to do something”.

Day 3, straight thru to agent who sounded like I was interrupting his Netflix morning at home. Not only was there no deal for me, but i couldn’t even add the TV for €9.99. I was told, I had to start a new contract where broadband was €39.99 for 6 months and then €49.99 for the other 6 months AND then it would be €9.99 on top of this! So my bill in 6 months would be €60!

Is it worth calling up again and trying “agent roulette” ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭Soarer

Let your current contract run down, and get the fudge out of rodge.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Tried to add TV to my broadband deal, here’s me thinking that it will just be €9.99 added to my bill, currently €39.99 for broadband and phone. Bear in mind currently the deal is TV, broadband and phone for €39.99!!

Day 1, call up, agent can’t help so I request a call back.

Day 2, agent is not in system yet but “don’t worry I’m in charge of the call back schedule so you’ll definitely get a call back”. Never happened. I also asked was I wasting my time trying to get a deal for extending my contract out by a further 12 months “we should be able to do something”.

Day 3, straight thru to agent who sounded like I was interrupting his Netflix morning at home. Not only was there no deal for me, but i couldn’t even add the TV for €9.99. I was told, I had to start a new contract where broadband was €39.99 for 6 months and then €49.99 for the other 6 months AND then it would be €9.99 on top of this! So my bill in 6 months would be €60!

Is it worth calling up again and trying “agent roulette” ?

Standard practice for Eir. Tell you one thing, another contradicts it, and the 3rd one charges you completely incorrectly. 6 months later still trying to get the bills credited......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Soarer wrote: »
    Let your current contract run down, and get the fudge out of rodge.

Eir equals worst company ever. After canceling they will tell you to be sure to return the modem when they contact you. They wont contact you but they will bill you any way.

Worst shower of lunatics I will never go back for anything they own or sell ever.

yankinlk wrote: »
    Eir equals worst company ever. After canceling they will tell you to be sure to return the modem when they contact you. They wont contact you but they will bill you any way.

Worst shower of lunatics I will never go back for anything they own or sell ever.

My problem exactly
    Eir told me that a courier was to collect the modem
    Never did,and I contacted them again same answer
    Same problem
    In the end after several months someone in Eir relaised why I was getting billed incorrectly ( contract ended 7 months previously)
    Still was receiving bills years later,automated I was told,
    Vvvv inept shower

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

My problem exactly
    Same problem
    In the end after several months someone in Eir relaised why I was getting billed incorrectly ( contract ended 7 months previously)
    Vvvv inept shower
    I bet they also charged you some exuberant price for a device you can get off Aliexpess for 5 USD.
    The quality of their modems is really poor. They don't even have all golden pins in the yellow ports at the back - they are so cheap.

My problem exactly
    Same problem
    Vvvv inept shower

So that is the exact boat i find myself in. This is all started with a simple 2 euro mistake initially on their billing. I have removed all services since I cant justify waiting for them to fix - or me going on hold for hours...

What did you do with the automated bills - just totally ignore them? As i said previously they did ring me once to try and retain me - but they have never fixed any of the issues i raised.

I bet they also charged you some exuberant price for a device you can get off Aliexpess for 5 USD.
    The quality of their modems is really poor. They don't even have all golden pins in the yellow ports at the back - they are so cheap.

Yes, they charged 79 euro for the telly thing (that everyone hates and has no redeeming qualities. Not one person in my house would use the horrible interface so i cancelled from non-use). They also charged 39 euro for the modem (which is a many years old model... in fact i think i have two.

I dont get the concept of billing for modems after a customer leaves. Its like - i see you didnt like our service, and have opted for a competitors. Well, just so we can ensure you tell 20 or 30 people about how terrible your experience is with us, here is a nasty bill for junk you dont want or need after you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

What I did when I finished with Eir last month.got a letter saying to return items via parcel motel which I did. Took pics of everything including parcel been sent and then sent all those details via pm on twitter to confirm it was sent with time/date etc, and once final bill came payed it and then cancelled direct debit so they couldn't mess me around.always cover you're back with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The funny thing is Eir sell a very small range of products.

Broadband, mobile, TV and home phone.

That's basically it.

Problem is their marketing dept devise new "offers" so often that no one knows what is what on any day of the week.

Three used to be like that and then they changed to their current system about 3 or 4 years ago and haven't changed it since. 4 Simple options including sim only that everyone can understand.

Advertisement