Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Broadband 29.99, 12 month contract

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

The only thing good about Eircom is that you can get a bundle where if the DSL is gone it switches to a mobile broadband sim card connected to the modem using a USB stick mobile modem.

The truth is that if you want 100% uptime you need 2 different internet providers. Say cable and DSL as backup or DSL and mobile boroadband as fail-over WAN.

Mobile broadband is low bandwidth and had data caps but I have to say it never failed on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Do Eir have a FUP and do they do you for going over it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Do Eir have a FUP and do they do you for going over it?

They told me they didn't, and then charged me every month it went over. Took me 10 months to get them credited......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Lionse wrote: »
    I signed up to the 29. 99 deal. The house has an existing Fibre line going it so all the technician who came out had to do was to plug in the new modem. My first bill has arrived for 146 euro! I was charged connection fees and other charges. Got no satisfaction though firstly with someone on phone and the following day through web chat.
    Seemingly it doesn't matter if there is an existing fibre connection to the house or not the same charges apply. Crazy stuff

They did something similar to me years ago. Had just moved into an apartment, they were supposed to be waiving connection fees at the time. OH rang to order, they said there'd be a 100 quid connection fee, she figured I needed it for work so said go ahead.

Rang them back that evening to cancel, they said there'd been a mistake and there was no connection fee. Was suspicious so rang again the next day, made it clear that we didn't want to go ahead if there was a fee, they confirmed again no connection fee.

First bill came out with a 100 quid connection fee. They denied any knowledge of having said there'd be no fee, threatened to sue us if we cancelled and didn't pay the fee.

They're a bunch of cowboys and extortion merchants. Only reason they're still in business is they had a monopoly for so long.

My ISP tier list - from best to worst:
    (All internet providers suck, just some less than other)
    This comes from actually using them, not hear-say

Good tier:
    - Virgin Media (high bandwidth in residential areas)

OK tier:
    - Vodafone (easy failover from DSL to mobile broadband)
    - Clearwire (low bandwidth, Dublin)
    - Magnet (each port of the modem has a different WAN IP, cool stuff but extremely hard to cancel contract)

Absolute trash tier:
    - Eircom DSL/VDSL (widely available, often intermittent, worst customer support ever)
    - Irish Broadband (no longer avaliable)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Lionse wrote: »
    I signed up to the 29. 99 deal. The house has an existing Fibre line going it so all the technician who came out had to do was to plug in the new modem. My first bill has arrived for 146 euro! I was charged connection fees and other charges. Got no satisfaction though firstly with someone on phone and the following day through web chat.
    Seemingly it doesn't matter if there is an existing fibre connection to the house or not the same charges apply. Crazy stuff

Jesus. Block the EIr DD or do a charge back against EIr if they have taken your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

MOH wrote: »
    They did something similar to me years ago. Had just moved into an apartment, they were supposed to be waiving connection fees at the time. OH rang to order, they said there'd be a 100 quid connection fee, she figured I needed it for work so said go ahead.

Rang them back that evening to cancel, they said there'd been a mistake and there was no connection fee. Was suspicious so rang again the next day, made it clear that we didn't want to go ahead if there was a fee, they confirmed again no connection fee.

First bill came out with a 100 quid connection fee. They denied any knowledge of having said there'd be no fee, threatened to sue us if we cancelled and didn't pay the fee.

They're a bunch of cowboys and extortion merchants. Only reason they're still in business is they had a monopoly for so long.

Gangsters

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭clarecoco

I have been with Virgin, Vodafone and Eir in recent years. I change for the best offer when contract is up. In my case I have found no major difference in broadband speeds. I am in a built up area which seems to have good coverage from any provider. Never have any problems with TV reception or Netflix streaming via broadband either. I signed up with Eir again last week. I gave the 30 day notice and they came back with a more competitive offer than the other providers. Yes, very long telephone waiting lists but after trying once and hanging up, I phoned at 9am (when they open) and got through in one minute.

In relation to contracts and disputes over the terms users should ask for a transcript of the phone recording made during the telephone call when you agreed to the contract. That recording protects your interests as well as the provider.

Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) data subjects which is you or me, have the right to access their personal data (GDPR Article 15), which extends to recordings of telephone calls. If a request is received from a data subject to access their personal data, it is necessary to comply with that request within 30 days. A company must therefore have the ability to be able to search for call recordings and provide copies as necessary.

Generally it is the easiest to get a copy of the call recording via email and that will confirm what was agreed and included in the price plan when setting up of the contract.

Is it legal to record you phone calls?
    I think in some places it's illegal without the consent of both parties, one party.
    If you're recording your own conversation then it's consent of one party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Post your attenuation values. You can see them usually on the home page of the modem (Up dB, Down dB, noise margin) and whether they change over time.

What you're describing then sounds like congestion at the exchange but that would be an odd thing for Dublin. It usually happens in the country.

But I wold still check the attenuation values and whether they change over time or when you make a phone call. Next time the connection is slow I would try connecting the modem directly to the wall socket without any filters so that the only device using the line is the modem.

I recently had a problem where the cable from the modem to the wall was from a 2€ shop and the connection would drop.

Eircom doesn't want to troubleshoot with you if you have your own modem. I would keep the original one in case there's a problem, then you can connect it back using their cable and prove to them it's not an internal issue.

If you have a sky box, analogue phones, a long cable from the wall I would try eliminating all that, simplifying the problem. If it still doesn't work then yes, it's something outside.

Getting líne attenuation of 21.5 dB upstream and 35.5 dB down. Seems a tad high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Is it legal to record you phone calls?
    I think in some places it's illegal without the consent of both parties, one party.
    If you're recording your own conversation then it's consent of one party.

Yes.
    In Ireland you only need consent from 1 of the parties.

In Ireland virtually all call centres record the phone calls. One of the first things the operator says is "this call is being recorded for training purposes". You usually reply within the first sentence your consent by agreeing to this. Audio recording is allowed under GDPR if:
    - Participants have given consent to be recorded for one or more specific purposes; (the caller does consent when s/he agrees)
    - Recording is necessary to fulfill a contract to which the participant in the call is a party;
    - Recording is necessary for fulfilling a legal obligation to which the recorder is subject;
    - Recording is necessary to protect the vital interests of one or more participants;

As I said in previous post the audio recording is available for the caller to request a copy. So recording assists the caller as well as the business if there is a dspute and the operator has erred. If you are getting a deal over and above the normal be sure to repeat that price during the phonecall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    We have eir broadband and phone and happy with the service. 89mb per second all good. Our contract has expired though and best they will offer is 39.99 for six months and then 59.99 for six months. Any way I can get the 29.99 deal? I don't really want to mess with providers at the moment as heavily dependent on broadband for work etc at the moment.
    Cheers,
    Mick

I suggest phoning say you are not happy with the offer of 39.99 for 6 months only and give the 30 day notice required to cancel contract. Tell them you are going with a competitor's deal. Even if you have to wait a few days Eir will come back with a better deal than they have offered you so far.
    Until the 30 day cancellation period expires all your options are still open - including staying with Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Hi folks,
    We have eir broadband and phone and happy with the service. 89mb per second all good. Our contract has expired though and best they will offer is 39.99 for six months and then 59.99 for six months. Any way I can get the 29.99 deal? I don't really want to mess with providers at the moment as heavily dependent on broadband for work etc at the moment.
    Cheers,
    Mick

Login to eir website, go to broadband and see if there’s a link to click for deals for existing customers, this should bring you to the 29.99/39.99 for 12months offer, ensure to take screenshots of offer.

If you are heavily dependent on internet service for work, I would not change anything, any change even with the same provider could result in some downtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Wolftown

I'm another who has had a huge amount of poor service from Eir. Most Irish ISP's are bad, but Eir really are on their own level. Recently signed up for 1GB FTTH with them despite having dealt with Eir before. They had applied €150 credit to my account to compensate for a load of terrible service that I won't go in to now (already consumed hours of my time). The credit was the only reason I signed up on 16/04 and I already regret it.

Contract is €50/month, first 3 months free confirmed verbally on recorded line (€150 credit).

Install was 16/04 and I've already received a €75 bill for usage period 25/03 to 25/04 (9 days in my case).

Getting less than half the 1GB when wired straight in to the router. Few hours on to tech support and they agreed to send out replacement router. Sent to wrong address last week (amazing considering they only installed the broadband the week before). Another hour on the phone and they assured me they'd corrected the address, rescheduled delivery and emailed the delivery company. Sent it to the same incorrect address a few days ago. Called delivery company (nightline) but they couldn't amend the address without instruction from Eir. Another approx 30 mins on hold to Eir but their IVR advised there were technical issues connecting calls to support so couldn't connect my call. And off the second router went to the wrong address again.

I could probably write a thesis on my experiences with Eir over the years, but for anyone considering signing up - absolutely do not do it, for your own mental health if nothing else. I'm sure I'll end up cancelling my direct debit soon - reminds me they also kept my bank details on file last year after I jumped through every hoop to have them removed, including downloading printing and sending their data request form.

Cowboys is not the word!

Wolftown wrote: »
    I'm another who has had a huge amount of poor service from Eir. Most Irish ISP's are bad, but Eir really are on their own level. Recently signed up for 1GB FTTH with them despite having dealt with Eir before. They had applied €150 credit to my account to compensate for a load of terrible service that I won't go in to now (already consumed hours of my time). The credit was the only reason I signed up on 16/04 and I already regret it.

Contract is €50/month, first 3 months free confirmed verbally on recorded line (€150 credit).

Install was 16/04 and I've already received a €75 bill for usage period 25/03 to 25/04 (9 days in my case).

Getting less than half the 1GB when wired straight in to the router. Few hours on to tech support and they agreed to send out replacement router. Sent to wrong address last week (amazing considering they only installed the broadband the week before). Another hour on the phone and they assured me they'd corrected the address, rescheduled delivery and emailed the delivery company. Sent it to the same incorrect address a few days ago. Called delivery company (nightline) but they couldn't amend the address without instruction from Eir. Another approx 30 mins on hold to Eir but their IVR advised there were technical issues connecting calls to support so couldn't connect my call. And off the second router went to the wrong address again.

I could probably write a thesis on my experiences with Eir over the years, but for anyone considering signing up - absolutely do not do it, for your own mental health if nothing else. I'm sure I'll end up cancelling my direct debit soon - reminds me they also kept my bank details on file last year after I jumped through every hoop to have them removed, including downloading printing and sending their data request form.

Cowboys is not the word!
    Ref the download speeds and replacement modems etc,
    It's a plamas they all do it( VF etc)
    I'd ongoing problems for months got 4/5 replacement modems, engineers out replaced all cables,got a gigabyte modem and still at evening times speed dropped,
    contacted SIRO who emailed me back stating" yes VF have a network problem I'm your area"
    Via Twitter tbe VF person states categorically" no problem in your area" - I took ascreenshot of the SIRO reply,sent it and she changed her tune,I didn't get charged anything for broadband since Xmas ,this month is my first bill- e29.99,so my advice is if possible break the eir contract,go to VF at least they will chat on Twitter,will send engineers etc,but screenshot all conversations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Hi All,
    Would love someones input, I am like a previous poster on this thread with Eir. Contact has expired for phone and broadband - I live with an oldie who insists on a landline. The contract has now gone up to 60 euro a month. This offer is only for new customers, I have checked the Eir website for offers to existing customers and there is nothing of value.
    I need uninterrupted Broadband for work as I am now working from home.
    Has anyone any suggestions ? I see some offers on swither.ie but I am afraid to change as i cannot have interruptions.
    What do you all think ?
    Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

6541 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Would love someones input, I am like a previous poster on this thread with Eir. Contact has expired for phone and broadband - I live with an oldie who insists on a landline. The contract has now gone up to 60 euro a month. This offer is only for new customers, I have checked the Eir website for offers to existing customers and there is nothing of value.
    I need uninterrupted Broadband for work as I am now working from home.
    Has anyone any suggestions ? I see some offers on swither.ie but I am afraid to change as i cannot have interruptions.
    What do you all think ?
    Thanks,

If you are dependent on the BB for work, I wouldn't go changing it at moment
    as you could well be without service for a while.
    You could try cancelling and take out a new contract with the "oldie" as the main person at the property and change the address slightly and don't give the Eir code if possible.
    So instead of 1 the Drive, go The Drive Number 1 etc.
    I'd make sure the new one is signed up to go before the old one expires to avoid any disruption to service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Pure Telecom are offering €30pm at the moment. Very well organised for the transfer, they didn't miss a beat.

This is what I did.
    I had Eir broadband, plus TV plus 1 mobile phone plan. I had a 12 month contract at €64 per month for the lot. That bundle covers Broadband + landline phone + TV + 1 mobile phone contract + Amazon Video. As the promotion price was up on 1st May,the monthly cost was due to increase to about €100 per month.

I phoned up Eir in April and said I was giving the required 30 days notice to cancel as I would get a better promotional deal with other providers. Eir are very slow in answering phone lines so the best time to phone is when they open first thing at 9am.
    The Eir operator recorded the details and said if she could give me a bundle deal would I consider staying?.
    She came back with a promotional Price:€59.97 per month for everything all in again. On top of broadband, phone TV, hat bundle includes one mobile phone contract with unlimited usage. I got the same TV bundle again which I had previously, including Amazon video in a 12 month contract at that price. I took it. It was worth asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

That is good clarecoco but I do forsee you having issues with Amazon/Eir deal. Eir are the worst for messing up their own promises/offers/deal/contract lengths etc. I can already imagine the future conversation "Who told you that you'd get PrimeVideo for another 12 months?" "We don't do that" etc etc

I can never fault their service but the are next to useless when it comes to ownership and resolution of internal issues.

If any issue does come up about the contract I will get a transcript of the telephone conversation setting up the contract, which I am entitled to under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - GDPR Article 15.

There will be no dispute on the offer I got when we listen to the recorded conversation. They are legally obliged to give me a copy of the conversation within 30 days so that will be the way I will approach a problem if it arises.

clarecoco wrote: »
    If any issue does come up about the contract I will get a transcript of the telephone conversation setting up the contract, which I am entitled to under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - GDPR Article 15.

There will be no dispute on the offer I got when we listen to the recorded conversation. They are legally obliged to give me a copy of the conversation within 30 days so that will be the way I will approach a problem if it arises.

I had problems ref recordings,I submitted in writing/ emailed and spent hours on the phone to them, waited 3 months, amazing they couldn't find it,gang of scoundrels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

I'm sorry friend, but that is an incredibly naive notion. They will simply say they cannot locate the conversation - and from my dealings with them I would not be the least bit surprised with them really losing recordings as they seem to be just unbelievably incompetent.. :eek:

I had problems ref recordings,I submitted in writing/ emailed and spent hours on the phone to them, waited 3 months, amazing they couldn't find it,gang of scoundrels

Under GDPR following a request they must give you a copy of your personal information within 30 days. It is always best to request the information in writing as you then have a date from when the 30 days begins
    ..........I wish to make an access request under Article 15 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) for a copy of any information you keep about me, on computer or in manual form in relation to...

If after 30 days you do not receive the information the service provider is in breach of GDPR. So then you make a formal complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner. www.dataprotection.ie
    The Data Protection Commissioner takes it from there and I wouldn't bother contacting the company after that about the lack of response, other than to seek compensation for any loss incurred.
    The Data Protection will enforce the Law for you.

Anyway the email confirmation I got from Eir is quite clear on my bundle. This is it:

Bundle Name: eir Complete Broadband, Phone, 4G Mobile & TV
    Promotional Price: €59.97 per month
    Your Promotional Discounts: Promotion - 20 Euro off for 12 months €20.00 x 12 months ending May 2020
    Promotion - 15 Euro off for 12 months €15.00 x 12 months ending April 2021
    Amazon Prime Video free for 12 months (5.99 x 12) €5.99 x 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Anyway the email confirmation I got from Eir is quite clear on my bundle. This is it:

Bundle Name: eir Complete Broadband, Phone, 4G Mobile & TV
    Promotional Price: €59.97 per month
    Your Promotional Discounts: Promotion - 20 Euro off for 12 months €20.00 x 12 months ending May 2020
    Promotion - 15 Euro off for 12 months €15.00 x 12 months ending April 2021
    Amazon Prime Video free for 12 months (5.99 x 12) €5.99 x 12 months

You should be fine if you have the email confirmation with all the details.
    However the €20 off discount ends May 2020?

Yes, I know about the €20.00 ending May 2020.
    The email opens as: "Thank you for upgrading your eir services. We are delighted that you have decided to improve your bundle with us. ......"
    I took it this "May 2020" reference as relating to the remaining part of the previous contract which is expiring during this month. My new contract begins in May 2020 and the phone conversation was very clear that my promotional price is €59.97 per month for the 12 month contract which begins in May 2020. All those discount bits are generally how the provider justifies offering that bottom line promotional price. It is the promotional price and the contract duration that's important.

• Advertisement

Deagol wrote: »
    I'm sorry friend, but that is an incredibly naive notion. They will simply say they cannot locate the conversation - and from my dealings with them I would not be the least bit surprised with them really losing recordings as they seem to be just unbelievably incompetent.. :eek:

So correct

Advertisement