Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Broadband 29.99, 12 month contract

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

A typical story with Eircom is that when your neighbor requests a new line, they call out, set your neighbor up and you in turn have no broadband. I can't count the number of hours I spent on the phone with them in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Deagol wrote: »

Then when I moved to the new house they started to bill me for a service I never had from them - remember I'd gone with a new provider.

I still get monthly bills from them for around €230.

Id be very careful with that. For all you know they could be ratting you out to the Irish Credit Bureau for those 'unpaid' bills. I know you dont owe it but this is what can happen behind your back when a company is saying that you do owe it and it isnt paid. That can effect your credit rating, you could be denied loans in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Id be very careful with that. For all you know they could be ratting you out to the Irish Credit Bureau for those 'unpaid' bills. I know you dont owe it but this is what can happen behind your back when a company is saying that you do owe it and it isnt paid. That can effect your credit rating, you could be denied loans in the future.

Nope - Eir don't affect ICB numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

TheDriver wrote: »
    Eir seems to have cracking deal. If you go through one big switch, its free activation and 50 back. I know Eir is annoying to deal with but can't argue with price

Eir could be free and a competitor €40, and I'd go with the competitor.

There is nothing that would entice me to go with eir ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

I'm out of contract with Eir.
    Does anyone know if Eir do a deal for existing customers? Tried to get their loyalty team but no answer?

• Advertisement

I must be lucky I’ve never had a problem with eir Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Check that you dont' have the DSL splitter the wrong way around. (Phone goes to phone symbol, computer goes to computer symbol - if you connect them the wrong way around that's where you get brutally slow DSL)

It ranges from 5 or 6MB/s during the night to less than 1MB/s during work hours and picks up to about 2MB/s in the evening. Allegedly there's no contention issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

I hope Starlink will put Eircom out of business.

hahahaha, you think starlink will be better than fiber?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Not at gunpoint would I go near eir, service is inferior big time to VF but I'd get over that,it's their awful customer care service,pls be aware of it

domeld wrote: »
    hahahaha, you think starlink will be better than fiber?
    Yes, it's low orbit stuff - not a bus-sized TV satellite parked in geostationary orbit. They burn up in the atmosphere in 5 years.

• Advertisement

It ranges from 5 or 6MB/s during the night to less than 1MB/s during work hours and picks up to about 2MB/s in the evening. Allegedly there's no contention issues.

Is your device connected to the Eircom modem wirelessly or with a LAN cable? If that's a laptop then try connecting with a network cable and checking if there's a difference in speed. This will determine whether the problem is internal or external.

Also the P660H modem is known to have a firmware glitch where over time wireless keeps getting bogged and you need to restart it every couple of days.

There are some places like shopping centers that don't allow Eircom to upgrade the broadband cabinet. Even though they are a horrible ISP and mess things up it's actually not their fault. It's always the landlord/management company that are preventing the upgrade.

domeld wrote: »
    starlink will be better than fiber?
    Technically vacuum is better than glass (fiber) medium for lasers.

Technically vacuum is better than glass (fiber) medium for lasers.

Just the minor fact that there's an atmosphere, clouds, space junk, other objects that can interrupt that line of sight...

Is your device connected to the Eircom modem wirelessly or with a LAN cable? If that's a laptop then try connecting with a network cable and checking if there's a difference in speed. This will determine whether the problem is internal or external.

Also the P660H modem is known to have a firmware glitch where over time wireless keeps getting bogged and you need to restart it every couple of days.

There are some places like shopping centers that don't allow Eircom to upgrade the broadband cabinet. Even though they are a horrible ISP and mess things up it's actually not their fault. It's always the landlord/management company that are preventing the upgrade.

I threw the eir router in the bin when I got it. No issues with WiFi, same speeds if connected directly to my Archer 1200AC router with an ethernet cable.
    It's likely an external issue as we're well over 1km from the cabinet, along with a lot of other houses in the estate between me and it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I use my Sky Router(shaped like the Sky Q Box) and also have a white booster upstairs. Told guy installing Eir (KN) that I won't use the Eir one because all my devices already know my Sky Router. He didn't care because so long as the house received the signal from the cabinet up the street he was happy.

I look forward to leaving my contract and having an argument with Eir about returning the router that I was never given :D

For those with a gripe with Eir and want to go to Comreg, ensure you go through this process first(note the tabs along the top for log a complaint and especially follow up)
    https://www.eir.ie/complaints/

Berty wrote: »
    I use my Sky Router(shaped like the Sky Q Box) and also have a white booster upstairs. Told guy installing Eir (KN) that I won't use the Eir one because all my devices already know my Sky Router. He didn't care because so long as the house received the signal from the cabinet up the street he was happy.

I look forward to leaving my contract and having an argument with Eir about returning the router that I was never given :D

For those with a gripe with Eir and want to go to Comreg, ensure you go through this process first(note the tabs along the top for log a complaint and especially follow up)
    https://www.eir.ie/complaints/

Aren't they bloody awful

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not at gunpoint would I go near eir, service is inferior big time to VF

I take it you mean their technical service? How, if they use the same lines?

Hurrache wrote: »

No no, just the customer care,and my siro broadband ( VF) kills my previous eir , getting up to a 659 MB download at times ( at times)
    My previous eir broadband in my area maxrd out at 36 MB

Hurrache wrote: »

If they use the same lines I wonder how VF is much better then? Before I had siro I had ordinary broadband with VF also and the download always bested eir hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

If they use the same lines I wonder how VF is much better then? Before I had siro I had ordinary broadband with VF also and the download always bested eir hands down

I switched to Vodafone from eir last week and its faster for me so I don't know how or why as they use same lines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Sometimes its the modem giving a more stable speed. Sometimes people don't realise that getting TV with the package actually reduces your speed to a more stable speed limit.
    VF tend to be very good if there's a tech issue.

Just the minor fact that there's an atmosphere, clouds, space junk, other objects that can interrupt that line of sight...

It's lasers from sat to sat, radio from sats to earth

I threw the eir router in the bin when I got it. No issues with WiFi, same speeds if connected directly to my Archer 1200AC router with an ethernet cable.
    It's likely an external issue as we're well over 1km from the cabinet, along with a lot of other houses in the estate between me and it.

Post your attenuation values. You can see them usually on the home page of the modem (Up dB, Down dB, noise margin) and whether they change over time.

What you're describing then sounds like congestion at the exchange but that would be an odd thing for Dublin. It usually happens in the country.

But I wold still check the attenuation values and whether they change over time or when you make a phone call. Next time the connection is slow I would try connecting the modem directly to the wall socket without any filters so that the only device using the line is the modem.

I recently had a problem where the cable from the modem to the wall was from a 2€ shop and the connection would drop.

Eircom doesn't want to troubleshoot with you if you have your own modem. I would keep the original one in case there's a problem, then you can connect it back using their cable and prove to them it's not an internal issue.

If you have a sky box, analogue phones, a long cable from the wall I would try eliminating all that, simplifying the problem. If it still doesn't work then yes, it's something outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Yamanoto wrote: »
    You signed an 18 month contract to get a new modem?

Mother of God.

I didn't have a great choice. I spent a fair dollop of cash on buying a Fritzbox router but found that with that connected to the VDSL2 I was getting only 50mb DL versus 70mb with the F1000. I spent a lot of time talking to AVM and getting nowhere fast so I was forced to use F1000.

At the time of the problems I didn't have time (I work from home) to mess around - it was easier to sign up for another 18 months (at least it appeared to be at the time the least hard option).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Avoid Eir like the plague, they are the worst company in Ireland, doesn't matter what the offer is they are a disaster.

If they gave it to me free for life I still wouldn’t deal with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

That deal was around before . I went with that offer and thought it is great value

Never needed to contact Eir so can't comment on their customer service.

Renewing was a pain though . The best I could get was €39.99 which isn't that bad because it includes eir sports & Amazon.

I haven't read through the thread so not sure if the op's offer comes with these.

heroics wrote: »
    If they gave it to me free for life I still wouldn’t deal with them again.

Same

In 2020 in outer Mongolia you'd expect better than that

Baoithin66 wrote: »
    I'm out of contract with Eir.
    Does anyone know if Eir do a deal for existing customers? Tried to get their loyalty team but no answer?

Shocked

• Advertisement

codie wrote: »
    To tell you the truth if Eir paid me €29.99 a month to take their broadband I wouldn't take it.
    All jokes aside I wouldn't. For anyone even considering, for your own sanity don't do it.

Exactly on tbe same level, there's not words invented yet on how bad I feel about them,I had genuinely months of crap

Advertisement