Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

guess thats why they receive so many votes at general election time
    plus three county councillors as well
    all those voters are stupid
    just saying

No not stupid at all.
    As I said in a discussion with a councilor the other day ?

"Always remember the home place.Take care of that & the home place will take care of you.
    If you forget the home place then the home place will forget you at election time."

That's the one thing all the experienced TD's have learned down the years. The politicians who forgot that are no longer politicians. That's why the Healy-Raes are as successful as they are. They take care of their own.
    The one problem is that the Healy-Raes don't live near where I live ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

A second zero case day this week - leaving the daily pattern since Tuesday as 1-0-1-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Approx 4000 Active Cases in the Republic.
    Add on the 200 or so from today and were slowly making progress

LRFgmed.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Approx 4000 Active Cases in the Republic.
    Add on the 200 or so from today and were slowly making progress

LRFgmed.png

I'ts quite obvious that the last week in town has been beyond a joke...the real test is next weekend ....we will see if he virus has been suppressed enough to deal with people's innate stupidity and desire for píss-poor lattés

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

I'ts quite obvious that the last week in town has been beyond a joke...the real test is next weekend ....we will see if he virus has been suppressed enough to deal with people's innate stupidity and desire for píss-poor lattés

Have been no where town in weeks. The most adventurous I've got was a trip to Mr price yesterday to pick up some white spirits and some bits and pieces. Has the footfall picked up over the last few days ?

• Advertisement

Have been no where town in weeks. The most adventurous I've got was a trip to Mr price yesterday to pick up some white spirits and some bits and pieces. Has the footfall picked up over the last few days ?

Yeah, complete shítshow in town tbh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Yes a lot of people are around. There's loads of cars driving around.

I was working today, I only work weekends at the moment. I couldn't believe how many people still don't give a sh*t about social distancing. I had to ask numerous people to move on and stop gathering chatting...with no distancing. I had a woman push passed me and touch my arm as she did. I was fuming. I am fed up of this attitude. We will have to keep up social distancing for a long time, so people need to cop on. I don't know why so many are totally oblivious to it all!

One crowd chatting in a group were talking about their day at the beach and the great tan they got. Ok maybe they live near the beach, but I got the impression they didn't. I would love to be able to drive the 7 miles to the beach. My friends live near Banna and were only able to go back to the beach for the beach this week as they were more than the original 2km limit.

Do people want the restrictions to keep being added on by more and more weeks. Anyone who thinks they are grand, sure they'll be ok needs to wake up!

One guy who came into work said it was all a joke, there's no virus its all made up. Yeah tell that to the 1000's who died. The only joke is him! :mad:

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yeah, complete shítshow in town tbh

I disagree. Folk need to live some rudimentary quality of life. Otherwise we'll all be slitting our wrists long before covid ever gets us.

Quackster wrote: »
    I disagree. Folk need to live some rudimentary quality of life. Otherwise we'll all be slitting our wrists long before covid ever gets us.

People need to learn to social distance, its that simple

People need to learn to social distance, its that simple

Oh, I totally agree with you there. There's no excuse for that sort of ignorance.

I'm just saying that it's good to see any business that's legally entitled to be open actually open and I hope they're getting the level of trade needed to make it worth their while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Oh, I totally agree with you there. There's no excuse for that sort of ignorance.

I'm just saying that it's good to see any business that's legally entitled to be open actually open and I hope they're getting the level of trade needed to make it worth their while.

Exactly, its great to see businesses reopening. They need to, the town needs it. As mentioned, its the public/customers who need to cop on and realise that we need to keep up social distancing for a long time. We have no choice but to get used to it. People can't expect life to go back to normal for a long time. Its so frustrating seeing so many people just not care or have a clue whats going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Awesome news!

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Exactly, its great to see businesses reopening. They need to, the town needs it. As mentioned, its the public/customers who need to cop on and realise that we need to keep up social distancing for a long time. We have no choice but to get used to it. People can't expect life to go back to normal for a long time. Its so frustrating seeing so many people just not care or have a clue whats going on!

I'm convinced that some older people don't actually understand what social distancing is.
    I've seen instances in the past week of people just carrying on as if nothing has changed.
    Last week I took my partner into town to collect a meat order from the butchers. She couldn't go into the shop because some women were having a full blown conversation in the shop entrance. The owner had to come out to them & get them to move on.
    Then you have some people who don't seem to care & think they are immune to the virus :rolleyes:

There have been 12 outbreaks in Direct Provision Centres resulting in 149 cases.
    24 of those cases have been in Caherciveen.

amdaley28 wrote: »
    There have been 12 outbreaks in Direct Provision Centres resulting in 149 cases.

There been 10 clusters & 566 cases in meat processing plants....it's all relative

I'm convinced that some older people don't actually understand what social distancing is.
    I've seen instances in the past week of people just carrying on as if nothing has changed.
    Last week I took my partner into town to collect a meat order from the butchers. She couldn't go into the shop because some women were having a full blown conversation in the shop entrance. The owner had to come out to them & get them to move on.
    Then you have some people who don't seem to care & think they are immune to the virus :rolleyes:

Its been all a younger generation up to the 30's age bracket that I've encountered having the worst attitude towards social distancing. Saying that, I have seen older people not have a clue too! Its pretty varied.

There been 10 clusters & 566 cases in meat processing plants....it's all relative

And I heard some meat plants have been closed .

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/two-meat-processing-plants-temporarily-closed-after-workers-test-positive-for-covid-19-997105.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

What a decision that was. And now it turns out they were brought to Caherciveen at the begining of the lockdown from a number of other centres. Not the same centre but from a number of centres. What numpty made that decision? I'm sure he's up for a promotion!!

A second straight day without a case - only another 12 to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Yes a lot of people are around. There's loads of cars driving around.

Was shopping at Dunnes in the Horan Centre this afternoon and the traffic at the Austin Stack Park lights/roundabout was off the chart! I bet loads of people are running around visiting mates and family.

I have to say the Gardai are on the ball around south Kerry, they are stopping cars at checkpoints leading to the holiday home hot spots for the last couple of weeks and they are doing it on a regular basis and turning people back that should not be travelling.

They are taking the situation very seriously and deserve credit for keeping the spread of the virus under some control in Kerry.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

kn wrote: »
    What a decision that was. And now it turns out they were brought to Caherciveen at the begining of the lockdown from a number of other centres. Not the same centre but from a number of centres. What numpty made that decision? I'm sure he's up for a promotion!!

People who make these decisions never face any consequences :mad:

I have to say the Gardai are on the ball around south Kerry, they are stopping cars at checkpoints leading to the holiday home hot spots for the last couple of weeks and they are doing it on a regular basis and turning people back that should not be travelling.

They are taking the situation very seriously and deserve credit for keeping the spread of the virus under some control in Kerry.

I've seen the Gardai out my way several times late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Killorglin, Checkpoints most mornings and at night, stopping and asking but only the odd car turned around, asked one tongue in cheek if Rossbeigh was possible, he told me go to Dooks or Cromane :)

newman10 wrote: »
    Killorglin, Checkpoints most mornings and at night, stopping and asking but only the odd car turned around, asked one tongue in cheek if Rossbeigh was possible, he told me go to Dooks or Cromane :)

When it feels safe enough to do it one trip we are really looking forward to is the drive over Ballaghbeama and then on to Cromane for a long awaited visit to Jack's restaurant.

A different world altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's strange how the Irish government is giving an air of "expertise" in dealing with the virus, as if they've had control of the situation since day 1, yet when you see examples of what other countries have achieved, countries that aren't islands for instance, it makes you wonder about the balls ups that have been going on here.

This is part of a news item from Czechia on their virus status, and their numbers are a lot less than ours:

"Daily increase of 18 new cases of COVID 19 on Saturday
    Eighteen new coronavirus cases were registered in the country on Saturday, bringing the overall number of confirmed cases to 8,095, according to Czech Health Ministry statistics.

The number of newly registered cases per day has remained under 100 for nine days now. 276 people have died, 4,447 have recovered from the disease. 258 people are currently hospitalized with COVID 19, 46 of them are in serious condition."

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's strange how the Irish government is giving an air of "expertise" in dealing with the virus, as if they've had control of the situation since day 1, yet when you see examples of what other countries have achieved, countries that aren't islands for instance, it makes you wonder about the balls ups that have been going on here.

This is part of a news item from Czechia on their virus status, and their numbers are a lot less than ours:

"Daily increase of 18 new cases of COVID 19 on Saturday
    Eighteen new coronavirus cases were registered in the country on Saturday, bringing the overall number of confirmed cases to 8,095, according to Czech Health Ministry statistics.

The number of newly registered cases per day has remained under 100 for nine days now. 276 people have died, 4,447 have recovered from the disease. 258 people are currently hospitalized with COVID 19, 46 of them are in serious condition."

Much of the differences in rates between various European countries can be explained by how long the virus was circulating in each country before measures were first introduced.

For instance, there's now evidence to suggest it was circulating in the UK in December, long before it was even known about, which would go a long way to explain why it's got so bad over there.

Similarly, it seems probable it was circulating here before the end of January.

In other European countries it likely didn't get established until some time in February so they were able to take countermeasures earlier on in their outbreaks.

• Advertisement

Much of the differences in rates between various European countries can be explained by how long the virus was circulating in each country before measures were first introduced.

For instance, there's now evidence to suggest it was circulating in the UK in December, long before it was even known about, which would go a long way to explain why it's got so bad over there.

Similarly, it seems probable it was circulating here before the end of January.

In other European countries it likely didn't get established until some time in February so they were able to take countermeasures earlier on in their outbreaks.

It was also in France in December so it was probably elsewhere in Europe at that time as well.

Advertisement