Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

I think everyone knew Healy Rae had an interest in it being sold.
    The only thing that is news there is the injunction going ahead in tralee court...and it's not unexpected really.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I think everyone knew Healy Rae had an interest in it being sold.
    The only thing that is news there is the injunction going ahead in tralee court...and it's not unexpected really.

They probably do but just because you or I know doesn't mean there aren't people out there who might not know the information.
    I would ask that anyone who has information to put it up here as it may help others.
    The more people are informed the better it is for everyone.
    Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Quackster wrote: »
    So Micheal Healy-Rae is a two-faced liar. Nothing new there then!

Any different to Varadker and Harris, seems pretty common theme amongst all politicians
    All of a sudden Cahirciveen is in the news because of Healy-Rae, not what happened there and the blatant disreguard to the people by the HSE, DoJ and Flannagan

I did not vote for HR

• Advertisement

amdaley28 wrote: »
    They probably do but just because you or I know doesn't mean there aren't people out there who might not know the information.
    I would ask that anyone who has information to put it up here as it may help others.
    The more people are informed the better it is for everyone.
    Stay safe.

Have you not been on boards for long? Anyone that's anyway familiar with it should know there are dedicated threads in AH & Current Affairs on the Healy Rae's
    Mods don't look kindly to people posting the same things across several threads ..cardable offence.
    Just type Healy Rae into your search bar and it takes you to the threads

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

The thread is going off-topic & a bit more about politics now than what it was set up for. Keep to the topic please. MOD

Have you not been on boards for long? Anyone that's anyway familiar with it should know there are dedicated threads in AH & Current Affairs on the Healy Rae's
    Mods don't look kindly to people posting the same things across several threads ..cardable offence.
    Just type Healy Rae into your search bar and it takes you to the threads

All my references are to the Caherciveen / Skellig Star situation.
    The fact that any politician might get a mention is in relation to the subject matter & nothing more.
    I have no political affiliations to any political view or party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Sixth day out of eight without a new case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

An amazing turn around in all fairness, well done everyone.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Fantastic. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

The diocese of Kerry has announced that churches can reopen for private worship from May 20th, provided each parish can satisfy itself that certain conditions can be met, including daily cleaning of the church.

Quote from the press statement - “Walk around, stand and pray, don’t sit down and touch nothing.”

Typically most visitors to churches would be elderly and perhaps vulnerable; I wonder how numbers can be regulated in larger parishes. Cleaning the surfaces in each church on a daily basis would be a challenge too - I know that in many churches people often have a favourite statue that they touch, candles are lit etc so almost every surface, seat, statue and so on would need to be cleaned.
    As Masses are not meant to be celebrated in public will they close churches when priests are saying Mass for webcam broadcasts?

I appreciate the thought and motivation behind it but it may be perhaps too soon.

Hopefully UHK wasn't the mysterious "southern" hospital ?

lottpaul wrote: »
    The diocese of Kerry has announced that churches can reopen for private worship from May 20th, provided each parish can satisfy itself that certain conditions can be met, including daily cleaning of the church.

Quote from the press statement - “Walk around, stand and pray, don’t sit down and touch nothing.”

Typically most visitors to churches would be elderly and perhaps vulnerable; I wonder how numbers can be regulated in larger parishes. Cleaning the surfaces in each church on a daily basis would be a challenge too - I know that in many churches people often have a favourite statue that they touch, candles are lit etc so almost every surface, seat, statue and so on would need to be cleaned.
    As Masses are not meant to be celebrated in public will they close churches when priests are saying Mass for webcam broadcasts?

I appreciate the thought and motivation behind it but it may be perhaps too soon.

Presumably just means lighting candles, saying brief prayers, etc - so basically people looking in while passing, and swiftly moving on again. Also seems the statement advises people not to sit down or touch anything in the church:

https://www.dioceseofkerry.ie/2020/05/opening-of-churches-for-personal-prayer/

I had to take a cat to the vet in Killorglan this morning for a procedure which took about an hour.
    While I was waiting I went to a supermarket for diesel & a coffee.
    I wore gloves & a mask.

While I was sitting in the car drinking the coffee I couldn't believe what I was actually seeing.
    In about 45 minutes sitting there I saw only one person wearing a mask or gloves, just one :mad:
    Even the petrol attendant in his hut didn't have any protection.
    The place was very busy.
    If this thing really hits Kerry when the lockdown restrictions are lifted the place will be destroyed.

amdaley28 wrote: »
    I had to take a cat to the vet in Killorglan this morning for a procedure which took about an hour.
    While I was waiting I went to a supermarket for diesel & a coffee.
    I wore gloves & a mask.

While I was sitting in the car drinking the coffee I couldn't believe what I was actually seeing.
    In about 45 minutes sitting there I saw only one person wearing a mask or gloves, just one :mad:
    Even the petrol attendant in his hut didn't have any protection.
    The place was very busy.
    If this thing really hits Kerry when the lockdown restrictions are lifted the place will be destroyed.

Wearing gloves will be discouraged in most shops now I would think ..it spreads germs.
    Mask's....if you're infected..wear a mask...it prevents you spreading the virus
    But to someone who is healthy ...the chances of it helping are negligible...and again.... people don't know how to use a mask...once you touch it..you bin it... I saw 1 person on town having a cigarette and chatting away to someone..and then pops the mask back up afterwards... absolutely useless then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

What is the state of play of the Chinese virus in caherciveen?

The asylum seekers are essentially locked in the hotel until 14 days have expired after the last positive case, and that'll be the 20th.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Its not advised to wear gloves anymore, they do more harm than good. People using them in the wrong way, touching things, not taking them off properly, loads being dumped. The advise now is to just sanitise, and wash hands regularly. I have stopped wearing gloves, I don't see half the amount of people wearing them anymore.

The masks are now being 'advised' for over 13's when out shopping or on public transport, but you don't have to wear them. I don't know if I will wear one to be honest. maybe I would if I had to go on a train, bus, plane, but otherwise I don't think I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Its not advised to wear gloves anymore, they do more harm than good. People using them in the wrong way, touching things, not taking them off properly, loads being dumped. The advise now is to just sanitise, and wash hands regularly. I have stopped wearing gloves, I don't see half the amount of people wearing them anymore.

The masks are now being 'advised' for over 13's when out shopping or on public transport, but you don't have to wear them. I don't know if I will wear one to be honest. maybe I would if I had to go on a train, bus, plane, but otherwise I don't think I will.

Been wearing one for 6 weeks whenever out shopping. Herself sewed them, they're comfortable enough. They'll protect others, I'm under no illusion they're doing anything for me. Seems pretty obvious that when SE asia countries get one of these pandemics they put on their masks and the spread is reduced. No reason not to wear one.

• Advertisement

Asian's have been wearing masks since the 50's..
    Air pollution.. protection from exhaust fumes, keep faces warm, fashion...
    it's only in recent times that it's being used as a barrier to spread infection...in a city like Tokyo, with over 35million people...it makes sense to wear a mask virtually all of the time when outside.
    I would say, in enclosed work spaces.. assembly lines...yes.. masks are a definite..for peace of mind when shopping in Dunnes or Tesco..you could.
    But normal walking around the streets, popping in here and there...no advantage to wearing them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The COVID ward in CUH was disbanded today, no longer needed.

It's not Kerry but it's positive news.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

But normal walking around the streets, popping in here and there...no advantage to wearing them

Well, if I'm asymptomatic with Covid-19 (unlikely living in West Kerry), I'd spread less. That's advantage enough for me, I have many older, 'high-risk' friends and contacts.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Well, if I'm asymptomatic with Covid-19 (unlikely living in West Kerry), I'd spread less. That's advantage enough for me, I have many older, 'high-risk' friends and contacts.

Ah there's no right or wrong, as I said...it's more to do with personal choice...if you feel better for doing it, then of course you should.
    If I was on a bus..or train..I'd wear a mask... but otherwise I can't see myself wearing one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ciarrai76 wrote: »

Ive been seeing this for weeks, people going into shops, handling bits and pieces, money and so on, going out to the car with their shopping, maybe opening the boot, put the trolley or basket back etc, all while wearing the same gloves.
    Gloves are only effective if you are changing them every few minutes and that's not feasible. Much better to just have good hand hygiene and use the disinfectent every now and then.
    The amount of gloves you see thrown in the street sickens my sh1t too

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

wonga77 wrote: »
    Ive been seeing this for weeks, people going into shops, handling bits and pieces, money and so on, going out to the car with their shopping, maybe opening the boot, put the trolley or basket back etc, all while wearing the same gloves.
    Gloves are only effective if you are changing them every few minutes and that's not feasible. Much better to just have good hand hygiene and use the disinfectent every now and then.
    The amount of gloves you see thrown in the street sickens my sh1t too

Gloves only make sense if you're dealing with substances that aggravate or penetrate the skin. This virus is of no risk to the hands so there is absolutely no reason to wear gloves to protect against it.

Contaminated gloved hands can transfer the virus to the face and other substances exactly the same as ungloved contaminated hands can. And as you say, it's much easier to decontaminate ungloved hands than to be constantly changing gloves.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, given the national trend, back to no local cases today.

And we remain on 307 after today's daily figures, so 2 cases overall for the week beginning last Wednesday.

A grand total of 7 cases over the last fortnight, so if most instances of covid recover after 14 days, there must be very few active cases currently in Kerry. As of last night, there were 4 confirmed Covid-19 patients in UHK, and 1 in the ICU.

• Advertisement

One case today.
    At 308 now.

Advertisement