Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    How is it 5 again? strange that it seems to be stuck on that figure all the time!

Its reported as less than or equal to 5 so actually between 1-5. I guess its a privacy thing when your down to small numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

kn wrote: »
    Its reported as less than or equal to 5 so actually between 1-5. I guess its a privacy thing when your down to small numbers.

I think it's reported as <5 for between 1-4, whereas 5 is actually 5 cases.

We had <5 for a few days recently, and also had 5. Hopefully it continues to remain low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I think I have become obsessed with these daily figures.

Reading the reports, on RTE, about the random school testing adds a totally different perspective. The fact is over 2% of all school children and staff tested positive, this was random in schools where no Covid has been reported.

So now when I am going shopping I am not thinking that there's only 5 new cases in Kerry, I am thinking 1 in every 50 people I see has Covid, and thats based on actual real data (for the country as a whole).

I do find that a magnitude more scary than the daily reported figures.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    I think I have become obsessed with these daily figures.

Reading the reports, on RTE, about the random school testing adds a totally different perspective. The fact is over 2% of all school children and staff tested positive, this was random in schools where no Covid has been reported.

So now when I am going shopping I am not thinking that there's only 5 new cases in Kerry, I am thinking 1 in every 50 people I see has Covid, and thats based on actual real data (for the country as a whole).

I do find that a magnitude more scary than the daily reported figures.

But it also indicates that this yoke is not as big a deal as its being made out to be. Yes it exists but something like 80% of those that test positive never realised they had it, any symptoms, or anything wrong with them. This, just like many viruses is attacking those with other core morbidities and depressed immune systems hardest. For the rest of the population its really not a big deal. The mean age of death of those that test positive is higher than the average life expectancy in Ireland.

But it also indicates that this yoke is not as big a deal as its being made out to be. Yes it exists but something like 80% of those that test positive never realised they had it, any symptoms, or anything wrong with them. This, just like many viruses is attacking those with other core morbidities and depressed immune systems hardest. For the rest of the population its really not a big deal. The mean age of death of those that test positive is higher than the average life expectancy in Ireland.

I was just going to correct my post, on re-reading the article it was in schools where there was a positive case, but none of those tested had symptoms.

That fact makes my previous post, pretty much nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

So thats OK then.Lets just get on with life and obliterate our elderly and our most vulnerable.Healthy athletes are still trying to recover six months on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The fall is more dramatic for the 14-day incidence and case numbers than for the daily totals, but all on the right trajectory:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1334193575823859712

In case you never watched it the film Logan's Run is right up your street :)

I am sure you are not suggesting that the old and infirm should be left to die, but if the virus was left to run riot and the elderly were treated the burden on the health system would cripple it, for everyone.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    In case you never watched it the film Logan's Run is right up your street :)

I am sure you are not suggesting that the old and infirm should be left to die, but if the virus was left to run riot and the elderly were treated the burden on the health system would cripple it, for everyone.

Yes I have seen Logan's run where if I remember correctly it was around 35 that they were 'reborn' or some such.

There does come a point where the costs outweigh the benefits of the present approach. Killing the economy means the resources eventually won't be there to pay for services including for the elderly. The elderly in care homes despite being the most obvious likely victims were totally forgotten about by government at the outset of COVID 19. I'm not writing them off - government did that long ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I had the flu once, when I was 19 and I haven't had one since (now 44!). Never had the vaccine either, but that's not to say I won't ever. I also think its gas when people say they have the flu when its just a bad head cold. You wouldn't be out of your bed if it was the flu! You never forget what its like to have a flu, so you definitely know the difference! I remember it well as I was just home from Uni for Christmas and came down with the the day after I got home. I was in bed for half of my Christmas

Your right there....I hear people all the time saying " I was off for last two days with flu"" what a load of baloney.....

I'm 45 and I had flu in 2005 for two weeks and took me bones of a month to recover completly. After being off for two weeks work asked me to come back because they really needed me and after I was in door 5 mins sent me home because I was totally exhausted.

I've not had anything close to that since.

• Advertisement

Yes I have seen Logan's run where if I remember correctly it was around 35 that they were 'reborn' or some such.

There does come a point where the costs outweigh the benefits of the present approach. Killing the economy means the resources eventually won't be there to pay for services including for the elderly. The elderly in care homes despite being the most obvious likely victims were totally forgotten about by government at the outset of COVID 19. I'm not writing them off - government did that long ago!

Yes, totally agree with your reasoning, if you analyse the problem without considering love and emotions.

The issue is a lot of the population could not just let their mother, father, grand dad on nan go without giving them the best chance to make it, and most of the elderly are someone's mother or father. Whilst your reasoning is logical and sound for the survival of the population as a whole, most people are more concerned about what affects them and those they are close to.

Today's LEA figures:

Listowel 31 (-76) 108.1 per 100,000
    Tralee 20 (-4) 60.5 per 100,000
    Corca Dhuibhne 5 (+?) 35.3 per 100,000
    Castleisland 7 (-1) 40.8 per 100,000
    Killarney 17 (-8) 57.4 per 100,000
    Kenmare 9 (-6) 35.9 per 100,000

Listowel's decline being particularly dramatic.

Listowel 15 (-16) 52.3 per 100,000
    Tralee 21 (+1) 63.6 per 100,000
    Corca Dhuibhne 7 (+2) 49.4 per 100,000
    Castleisland 8 (+1) 46.7 per 100,000
    Killarney 7 (-10) 23.6 per 100,000
    Kenmare 6 (-3) 23.9 per 100,000

So, very patchy across the northern half of the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Cases reported as 183...But at least 100 more in reality due to a computer glitch

The first day with zero cases (albeit allowing for IT) for some time:

http://traleetoday.ie/no-new-kerry-covid-19-cases-reported-this-evening/

Kerry unaffected by the IT glitch, seemingly:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1335277147716538369

A head-scratcher today - <5 cases again today, but the 14-day incidence has risen?

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/02ea9-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-sunday-6-december/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Possibly a typo? Or could it be the IT glitch numbers being accounted for?

No Kerry cases today, and down to 29.1 incidence, with 43 cases in the last fortnight:

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/4240a-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-monday-7-december/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I was tested yesterday in Ballymullen Army Barracks in the morning and got my results back this evening so next day is what is running at the moment. They were extremely professional and the swap took mere seconds, great piece of mind now as I got a negative test today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

theguzman wrote: »
    I was tested yesterday in Ballymullen Army Barracks in the morning and got my results back this evening so next day is what is running at the moment. They were extremely professional and the swap took mere seconds, great piece of mind now as I got a negative test today.

My 4 year old little boy had the test done there in August & they were so good. I was worried he would freak out a bit, but the let me get into the back seat with him and just hold him still so he didn't jerk. They did it really quick and the man was very nice to my little boy and he commented on how good he was (which he was!). He was very kind and gentle with him so he didn't get one bit upset.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Talk now that one can get the corona at test centres. Makes sense you’re waking into the lions den.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Xtrail14 wrote: »
    Talk now that one can get the corona at test centres. Makes sense you’re waking into the lions den.

Let me guess Dr. Gemma O'Doherty :D or Prof. Dee Wall spouting such slurry perhaps?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

funny, neither me nor my son caught it by going in there!? Poor Gemma must be getting bored :D

The only Gemmas are the snowflakes yet selfs. Anyway I’ll say no now as ye are running out of toys in the cot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

The only Gemmas are the snowflakes yet selfs. Anyway I’ll say no now as ye are running out of toys in the cot.

Can we have an English translation to this post please?

Rate is 27.1 today - anything below 25 (if the % rate is 2.5%) meets the definition of a "green area":

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/f7b01-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-wednesday-9-december/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

No, it's one can get the corona TEST at test centres.

While you're at it, check these links out.

www.specsavers.ie
    www.hiddenhearing.ie

• Advertisement

Thanks John, you’re a winner alright.

Advertisement