Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Anecdotes are great and incredibly interesting, but global data and science is more reliable. Findings that in the relatively rare cases where transmission is believed to have occurred in a school setting, the average number of people infected is just three.

Science and data are my life, and the data locally (Kerry) seems to point to spread by children being the main driver in rural communities like ours.

Anecdotes are great and incredibly interesting, but global data and science is more reliable. Findings that in the relatively rare cases where transmission is believed to have occurred in a school setting, the average number of people infected is just three.

Science and data are my life, and the data locally (Kerry) seems to point to spread by children being the main driver in rural communities like ours.

Edit: They seem to put a lot of weight in the 14 day incidence figure, what percentage of infections in the last 14 days have been traced to a spread through schools ? Be nice to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

SlowBlowin wrote: »

"Science and data" = Facts.

"seems to point" = assumption, baseless, bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Why do you think rural schools with less pupils, less staff, less classes and smaller class room students "seem" to be worse affected than their more crowded urban counterparts? More kids driving to school with infected parents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

ongarboy wrote: »
    RTE news : All pupils, staff at Co Kerry school to be Covid tested

http://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/1216/1184929-covid-kerry-school/

RTE are saying at end of this article that as well as the outbreak in Killorglin school, a junior infants class at a school in Tralee is being asked to stay at home. Anyone have info on what school that is in Tralee?

Kerry's Eye mentioned a few Tralee schools - Pres and Moyderwell Primaries, along with St Ita and St Joseph's.

Salvadoor wrote: »

A pandemic like this is something new, facts need to be established as they dont exist and researchers and scientists follow clues in the data and establish facts about about the virus infection routes. Having a narrow minded mentality of not following "possibilities" is not encouraged, you have to go looking. Dismissing someone for posting that something is a possibility and saying its not science is demonstrably wrong.

In all pandemics that I am aware of the origin was not firmly establish until years after the start of infections, and in some cases the infection/virus originated in another country, I don't see any reason why this one is any different.

The WHO themselves are encouraging countries to look into the "possibility" of earlier infections. At this stage a lot of things about this virus are "possible".

Why do you think rural schools with less pupils, less staff, less classes and smaller class room students "seem" to be worse affected than their more crowded urban counterparts? More kids driving to school with infected parents?

I dont know, the possibilities should be researched;

Shared buses with other schools.
    Longer school trips/exposure.

Also for me statistically, at the moment the you lad is exposed to 100 times more people each day than myself or my wife, because we live in a very remote location.

Who knows at this stage.

Here is a graph from:

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/detailed-profile-of-cases

c19data.PNG

It shows the age breakdown in Covid infections in Ireland.

If schools play little role in the spread why the jump in the graph at school ages ?

Kids below school age are still exposed to the same "infected parents" ???

I dont know, the possibilities should be researched;

Shared buses with other schools.
    Longer school trips/exposure.

Also for me statistically, at the moment the you lad is exposed to 100 times more people each day than myself or my wife, because we live in a very remote location.

Who knows at this stage.

Bizarre that Kerry of all places is suffering with schools. Rural kids spend a lot more time indoors and in cars than urban kids and I guess that's taking it's toll here. I seriously hope it's contained and people avoid household visits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Salvadoor wrote: »

Salvadoor was in a boxing match with Slowblowin', the following morning he had two black eyes.

The evidence seems to point to he got a few boxes into the head within the previous 24 hours, more than likely from Slowblowin'.

It's not a fact, but a strong likelihood.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Healy Rae on Radio One there a while ago basically arguing that the schools should be closed and the pubs should be open.

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Quackster wrote: »
    Healy Rae on Radio One there a while ago basically arguing that the schools should be closed and the pubs should be open.

The mind boggles.

Which one of the five elected Healy Rae's was it?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I am becoming delirious, which thread am I on ?

Maybe we should compromise and allow drinking in schools ? A lot of people think that would be safer.

Listowel, Killarney, Corca Dhuibhne and Castleisland are all under 5 cases for the fortnight, Tralee literally falls by the bare minimum to 19, while Kenmare shoots up to 20 (57.5 and 79.8 per 100,000 respectively).

Jump in numbers tonight.

RTE seem slow in updating the figures on the news website..

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Which one of the five elected Healy Rae's was it?
    Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Quackster wrote: »
    Michael.

That clown :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

We went to Cassidy's for a meal last Saturday and it was a big mistake. It was like a zoo upstairs. Obviously a large group had booked 3 or 4 tables of 6 pretending to be individual groups and went completely on the piss. They were wandering around from table to table singing and hugging etc. I won't be going out again over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

xxyyzz wrote: »
    We went to Cassidy's for a meal last Saturday and it was a big mistake. It was like a zoo upstairs. Obviously a large group had booked 3 or 4 tables of 6 pretending to be individual groups and went completely on the piss. They were wandering around from table to table singing and hugging etc. I won't be going out again over Christmas.

Did you draw it to management's attention? Did you stay while this was carrying on?

We didn't stick around after the main course. If the management couldn't see it under their noses then there wasn't much point in me saying it to them. Menus were being passed around from table to table without being wiped down etc, no screens between most of the tables.

We didn't stick around after the main course. If the management couldn't see it under their noses then there wasn't much point in me saying it to them. Menus were being passed around from table to table without being wiped down etc, no screens between most of the tables.

Well, if management knows you ate leaving because of it, are disgusted by it and are going to tell everyone you see about it as well as posting about it on Social Media, they might be more inclined to put a stop to it then and there.

ETA, I'd have walked out as soon as I saw the menus being passed around.

Fair play to you.

I don't have an issue posting about it on here. If a restaurant wants to stay open during a pandemic then they have a duty of care towards their customers. Many other restaurants in town are making huge efforts to comply with the regulations. If they don't then they are putting customers' health at risk. It shouldn't require me letting them know what the covid guidelines are.

That explains how the kids are getting infected by adults. Then, they're bringing the infection in to the schools.

Fair play to you.

I don't have an issue posting about it on here. If a restaurant wants to stay open during a pandemic then they have a duty of care towards their customers. Many other restaurants in town are making huge efforts to comply with the regulations. If they don't then they are putting customers' health at risk. It shouldn't require me letting them know what the covid guidelines are.
    Yes, they do have a duty of care. You also have a responsibility to your own health and you stayed there. I would have caused blue murder at the top of my voice personally. I dont have a problem with you posting it. I think you are right to and I'm glad that you did.

That explains how the kids are getting infected by adults. Then, they're bringing the infection in to the schools.

Sure, that's as obvious as the nose on your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

When the schools were closed and restaurants were open during the summer why were the cases so low?

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »
    When the schools were closed and restaurants were open during the summer why were the cases so low?

Because people were a lot more careful then. Now, they're throwing caution to the wind, just read xxyyzz's post about Cassidy's, you didn't have that going on during the summer

Also there was a lot more al fresco dining, windows were open and restaurants were better ventilated because of the warmer weather. Covid doesn't like ventilated areas, but it loves indoor areas with no ventilation. It's time for further caution.

Advertisement