Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call the Guards or no?

Options

Comments

OP you appear very sure of yourself in general, if not to the point of being outright confrontational, even on issues which are nuanced.

I can't help but feel you will know your own mind on this, and you're not actually looking for opinions, unless they are confirmatory of your own. That, and you just want attention/to pick a fight with people who don't agree with you.

Why not just do what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd say to do it OP but be careful. I was checking up that my neighbour wasn't flouting corona rules and she ended up calling the guards and having me arrested.

It could happen to anyone. I was just outside her bathroom window and having a quick look inside. Unfortunately the steam from her shower fogged up my binoculars after a few minutes of my diligent checking and I wasn't able to react quickly enough when she looked over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

You know I was just talking to my psychiatrist about this the other day (via video call!) Obviously as a doctor, she's very much in favour of taking every precaution to reduce the spread, but she said that we also need to be mindful of people's mental health and emotional needs, and make reasonable allowances for this.

There's not much point keeping someone physically well if the isolation and anxiety will drive them to suicidal thoughts.

You just don't know what's going on with a person ... in this case, I'd personally be inclined to live and let live.

This is the first convincing argument against not taking action, and I think it's fair enough.

In a similar situation as OP myself, but the socializing neighbor in question has 4 small kids and a husband recently returned from "work overseas". Bringing the guards into the mix might cause a lot more pain than is really due.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Billhook

Witcher wrote: »
    When did your oul lad give you these sermons..while on the yacht or in his underpants with a slab of Dutch infront of the telly? You seem to straddle both worlds:pac:

Better to be in both (boat) worlds rather than be twitching curtains suffering from a hangover from the over indulgence of online games and looking at a reflection that resembles a bag of spanners...

Wicher you're not...

Penfailed wrote: »
    I was being facetious. Your level must be very fancy. Mine just does levels.

It's pretty fancy, I stole it from a friend who did the inspection/snag list on my house. Just to be clear, I do not use it to do range-finding on my neighbors.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

maxsmum wrote: »
    I've noticed neighbours having people over recently. Last night two sets had people call over with beers, sitting out and enjoying the evening sun. I have a kid out of school and two of us trying to juggle work at home around this. We haven't seen anyone outside the home in nearly a month and it's causing a lot of tension at home, though we know its temporary. I also know someone who couldn't go to a family funeral or say goodbye to a grandparent dying because of the restrictions. So it really makes me annoyed to see other people flouting the restrictions because they aren't affected.
    My husband reckons now that Garda regulations are enforceable (so i understand it) we should be reporting them. I am hesitant - I feel if we are doing our bit, then we should mind our own business. I wouldn't want neighbours thinking it was us either. What do others think?

I see why you're annoyed, and i would be too as i'm missing out on alot of personal family things because of this,
    But i'd never ring the gardai come on you're better than that, these people are your neighbours and all the gardai would do is slap them on the wrist

endainoz wrote: »
    I have no problem staying at home and abiding by the rules but reporting in your neighbours is a busybody thing to do. Its not like they are calling into the OPs house for tea. Unless a house party breaks out there's not much point calling the guards. They have enough to be at these days.

No. I'm happy enough with the mental health arguments in that you don't know the damage you can do in a situation you don't know about etc., but the busybody/nosy-neighbor schtick doesn't convince me at all.

If someone's doing something potentially dangerous in their home that might endanger people you care about, you're entitled to object to that. Whining about nosy neighbours, tell-tales, grasses, snitches. Seriously. This is the attitude of people who don't want people to turn a blind eye even when they do something everyone can see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

I live in an estate where all the houses are built around this large patch of grass in the middle. This means, I can see about 50 houses when I look out the windows, some of them are far away so I bought binoculars in order to see better. I have my curtains open and would have a look once in a while and see what's happening and if they are making essential trips only. My hand was forced and I had to report a few neighbours for unsafe behavior. I believe this is saving lives and therefore necessary. I recommend others follow suit, this is the only way that we will stop the disease.

My actions are justified because I am saving lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I'd reserve reporting anything for the most egregious cases, the Gardai don't have the resources to respond to much more than that anyway.

If a culture of reporting develops you'll see the usual eejits who love policing other people's activity wasting Garda time to report young people innocently dropping food into their elderly parents, just like all the rabble-rousing about Dublin reg cars that's currently going on down the country.

Exactly. A garda lives near me and they have to work longer hours on account of coronavirus. Responding to requests is part of their job but deep down they probably don't take kindly to people who report minor infractions which are really more helpful than harmful. Like the example above, people dropping food into their elderly parents. A fit 70+ person who formerly ran rings around most 50 year olds going to the supermarket. Somebody calling into a depressed friend and sitting 2m away from them in their garden for an hour.

Real crimes such as robberies have increased, I'd rather the gardai be available to deal with that. An elderly man in Limerick was broken into by 3 youths recently and one beat him up. His neighbours reported that. That's what the gardai want to respond to, not someone whose miffed because their neighbour is having a beer with another neighbour while they're sitting 2 metres away from each other.

Ohio9 wrote: »
    I live in an estate where all the houses are built around this large patch of grass in the middle. This means, I can see about 50 houses when I look out the windows, some of them are far away so I bought binoculars in order to see better. I have my curtains open and would have a look once in a while and see what's happening and if they are making essential trips only. My hand was forced and I had to report a few neighbours for unsafe behavior. I believe this is saving lives and therefore necessary. I recommend others follow suit, this is the only way that we will stop the disease.

Rrright. This seems legit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's pretty fancy, I stole it from a friend who did the inspection/snag list on my house. Just to be clear, I do not use it to do range-finding on my neighbors.

Hahaha! :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Is it wrong to save lives though? What they're doing is illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

neckedit wrote: »

If you are not in breach of the restrictions there is no grief.

beautiful:rolleyes:

and that's my whole point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I know there are a lot of "curtain twitcher" accusations being thrown around at people but honestly I would call them.

We are in a somewhat similar position, albeit without children so fair play to you - I can't even cope with the dog guilt tripping me while I work! But like that, have been WFH for over a month, order everything online and are 100% compliant. We have a baby on the way and have had to make our peace with the idea that I will likely give birth without OH and my parents might not get to meet their first grandchild in person except through a window so yes it really angers me too when I see people giving the two fingers to the restrictions.

Our neighbours had people over yesterday and I was really tempted to report them, especially since we have a part shared garden. I suspect there will be more guests this weekend, the weekend that is in it, and you might see yours doing the same :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

If anything it's a state medal you should be getting and perhaps a pension similar to the War of Independence IRA pensions for looking out for all of us in this difficult time. A state medal with Oak Leaves if you step up to a thermal imaging camera and optical microphone to detect any undesirable activities the dirty swine get up to while lurking inside their own homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    To each their own doesn't come in to it when they are potentially putting lives at risk.

Indeed. I would say some neighbours the neighbours are - putting other people at risk!

Antares35 wrote: »
    I know there are a lot of "curtain twitcher" accusations being thrown around at people but honestly I would call them.

We are in a somewhat similar position, albeit without children so fair play to you - I can't even cope with the dog guilt tripping me while I work! But like that, have been WFH for over a month, order everything online and are 100% compliant. We have a baby on the way and have had to make our peace with the idea that I will likely give birth without OH and my parents might not get to meet their first grandchild in person except through a window so yes it really angers me too when I see people giving the two fingers to the restrictions.

Our neighbours had people over yesterday and I was really tempted to report them, especially since we have a part shared garden. I suspect there will be more guests this weekend, the weekend that is in it, and you might see yours doing the same :(

You have a duty to report for the greater good.

You have a duty to report for the greater good.

THE GREATER GOOD

splinter65 wrote: »
    What is your understanding of why these restrictions have been put in place? Do you understand at all how the virus is spread or the affects on our health system if too many people needlessly contract the virus? I am stunned to be honest at the level of denial going on at this stage in the crisis after all that has been done to make people aware.

I don't understand fully how the virus is spread any more than the average person. New information is coming to light every day. Ironically those who sneak on others are probably more likely to catch the virus than those who mind their own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Is there fingering going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Emme wrote: »
    Ironically those who sneak on others are probably more likely to catch the virus than those who mind their own business.

Maths.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Emme wrote: »
    I don't understand fully how the virus is spread any more than the average person. New information is coming to light every day. Ironically those who sneak on others are probably more likely to catch the virus than those who mind their own business.

You don't understand how the virus is spread but you think people minding their own business are less likely to catch it...eh?!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

You can't check distance apart using a laser level...

What if the laser level was exactly 2 metres long?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Michael Caine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

endainoz wrote: »
    Some neighbours ye are. I would say to each their own.
    Some neighbours the other lot are, flouting government advice and potentially putting peoples' lives at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I know this guy very well:

You don't understand how the virus is spread but you think people minding their own business are less likely to catch it...eh?!

People minding their own business are more likely to stay away from other people and not get the virus. Nosey parkers who go around checking to ensure others are sticking to the guidelines might accidentally go within 2m of the scene of the crime and get the virus. All for the greater good of course! It's worth the sacrifice of getting the virus and burdening the health services for the pleasure of being able to sneak on and report other people :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Hi, OP here, I think my frustration is not from wanting to deny others their privacy but more my own at living by the rules and about to tear my hair out because of it. Anyone who has a young kid at home will probably know what I'm talking about. I'd love to call down to our friends on the road who have a kid the same age and have a few beers and let the kids enjoy themselves.
    There was no social distancing about the neighbours get together, they were parking in the drive and kissing on the cheeks etc. They are professionals next door working from home so they know the rules.
    All in all I wouldn't report them, I think it's bad karma, I think I'll just privately be jealous and resentful! They are good neighbours, friendly and pleasant and I think it's just them living the single life enjoying the time off work. It is interesting how some of us are taking this more seriously than others, they probably think I'm being too cautious, I think they're being reckless, we can agree to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭JPCN1

You know this thing will end some day and you'll still have to live there, yeah?

Advertisement