Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call the Guards or no?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Yeah so your last post makes no sense. You can drive over to help someone.

I'm not sure I understand why my post makes no sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

noddy69 wrote: »
    Again I said debunked was the wrong word. Its an AI study by engineers misquoted as being a scientific paper on virology. Until something is verified its harmful to spread panic.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v74az9/the-viral-study-about-runners-spreading-coronavirus-is-not-actually-a-study

By 'verified' do you mean 'peer reviewed'? Just because something hasn't been peer reviewed doesn't mean that it's not scientific. Nor should that prevent you from sharing it.

A study, regardless of whether it be based on AI modeling or longitudinal evidence based research, holds more merit than the 'unverified' garbage people are currently sharing.
    Drink a sip of water every hour to prevent coronavirus

People are actually sharing tripe like that. You don't see extra.ie and the likes creating content that debunks that kind of nonsense. They thrive on panic (case in point: recent irish ferry article).

I suppose my point is panic comes from mis-information not information.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

There is a lot of double standards preached about this as I'm sure most people would hate on me for leaving my job in the food factory yet they complain about people not social distancing. They expect me to spend 8 hours in the factory in close contact with humans to be a "Minimum Wage Hero" yet they preach that people should be social distancing. As far as I'm concerned my health is more important that putting food in your cupboard, you can go hunt your own chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

There is a lot of double standards preached about this as I'm sure most people would hate on me for leaving my job in the food factory yet they complain about people not social distancing. They expect me to spend 8 hours in the factory in close contact with humans to be a "Minimum Wage Hero" yet they preach that people should be social distancing. As far as I'm concerned my health is more important that putting food in your cupboard, you can go hunt your own chicken.

I was working from home when I heard about the walkout at Moy Park. My first thoughts were, fair play to those workers who went out on a limb to get a point across about safe working practices. They were my second and third thoughts too.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

As far as I'm concerned my health is more important that putting food in your cupboard, you can go hunt your own chicken.

People need food but with respect they are probably better off without factory farmed chicken where the birds are raised in tiered cages and never get to see the light of day. If people knew how this sort of chicken is raised and produced (10 chicken breasts sold in supermarkets in plastic packaging) most would avoid it.

Many people who can will now be going back to the ways of their grandparents and great-grandparents. Grow vegetables in their gardens. Get hens for eggs and chickens to raise for food.

If in the long run people learn to produce their own food and more children know exactly where food comes from this will be a good thing despite what is happening now. If people are more aware of where food comes from they will eat more healthily and hopefully have stronger immune systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Emme wrote: »
    People need food but with respect they are probably better off without factory farmed chicken where the birds are raised in tiered cages and never get to see the light of day. If people knew how this sort of chicken is raised and produced (10 chicken breasts sold in supermarkets in plastic packaging) most would avoid it.

Many people who can will now be going back to the ways of their grandparents and great-grandparents. Grow vegetables in their gardens. Get hens for eggs and chickens to raise for food.

If in the long run people learn to produce their own food and more children know exactly where food comes from this will be a good thing despite what is happening now. If people are more aware of where food comes from they will eat more healthily and hopefully have stronger immune systems.

I was talking to the OH about this last night. About what would be involved with becoming more self-sufficient. This whole thing about "needing" meat seven days a week is so damaging not just to the environment but to ourselves also. I'd rather have really good quality steak and fish say 3 times a week, than spend the same on 7 days worth of antibiotic-ridden chicken and fish that has mutated in Norway somewhere because of all the pollutants it is exposed to.

I would find it difficult not to become attached to animals we raise tbh, but in the greater scheme, raising and killing your own organic, free range animals is probably better than contributing to intense factory farming where they never see the light of day. Paying for it in a supermarket when it has already been killed, cut, cleaned and packaged is really just saving ourselves from the grim reality - not the animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

What do ye think about this? My neighbours had the home made bbq up and running yesterday and then a car with three people arrived and in they went with drinks etc. The car is parked outside and they have obviously slept over. It is a small 3 bed terrace house. She works as a carer.

On the other side of us the family often have relatives over on a good day to see their kids. They sit outside if its a good day.

In general all the families in this small estate are constantly outside standing in groups chatting away while the kids play together. They stand about a meter apart for hours on end.

I haven't been outside my door for weeks as I'm cocooning but in this little area alone that I'm in, no one seems to care about social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

You sound like a curtain twitcher, if you're cocooning due to age well then it really dosent matter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

If they are 'Friends of Fine Gael' then it's ok and different rules apply.
    They can do as they please, just like the Keeling family...;)

Westwood wrote: »
    You sound like a curtain twitcher, if you're cocooning due to age well then it really dosent matter

I don't have curtains to twitch but I can see out my windows at tools not doing what they have been told to do.

Why does age not matter? I'm a youngish person who is seriously ill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Two options:

1) Ignore them and keep doing the right thing yourself.

2) Confront them OR whip the camera phone out and record their activities for the guards to see as evidence. No point in calling anyone to complain, unless you can provide evidence.

Plenty of people will tell you to go with option No.1 - but our country is not doing too well right now, and these guys are part of the reason for that. Our death rate is increasing considerably in recent weeks, so it's up to you which option you think is most appropriate. But I know which one I would choose, because these are no ordinary times we are living in right now.

Some people in this country need to cop themselves on and get with the program, or we're all going to be in a big mess in a few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Noodles81 wrote: »
    What do ye think about this? My neighbours had the home made bbq up and running yesterday and then a car with three people arrived and in they went with drinks etc. The car is parked outside and they have obviously slept over. It is a small 3 bed terrace house. She works as a carer.

On the other side of us the family often have relatives over on a good day to see their kids. They sit outside if its a good day.

In general all the families in this small estate are constantly outside standing in groups chatting away while the kids play together. They stand about a meter apart for hours on end.

I haven't been outside my door for weeks as I'm cocooning but in this little area alone that I'm in, no one seems to care about social distancing.

What they do on their own property is absolutely none of your business unless it's causing a direct nuisance onto your land.

Anyone who believes the Government line unquestioningly on this issue is a fruit loop.

What they do on their own property is absolutely none of your business unless it's causing a direct nuisance onto your land.

Anyone who believes the Government line unquestioningly on this issue is a fruit loop.

Darwin award winner: Mrs Shuttleworth

Anyone with assinine comments like yours deserves my utmost pity.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

threads merged

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you wish to disregard Government guidelines you can do so in your own back garden, but do not encourage others to do so on this site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Westwood wrote: »

You sound like your not with the programme. The posters concerns are absolutely valid.

People like this will drag us back as we climb out of the hole.

Anyone else getting annoyed with some parents treating this as summer holidays and sending their kids out on the street from 10am to 9pm.

Not trying to sound like a party pooper, i am working from home over this crisis and i have been listening to the same families kids out on the road from early in the day to late in the evening kicking balls off walls, shouting etc., other kids joining in etc..

i thought kids are supposed to stay within their own house boundary and not mingle with other households? Plus where is the home schooling, its being treated as summer holidays.

Same family had another family over yesterday bbqing while their kids were out on the road.

Am i over reacting here, but its starting to wreck my head both the flouting of rules and the kids (who are supposed to be schooling) out on the road making noise the whole day, which at this time is particularly annoying since i have to work at home. in normal circumstances i would be in work.

I dont see any Gardai patrolling or even popping into any of the estates around me.

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Anyone else getting annoyed with some parents treating this as summer holidays and sending their kids out on the street from 10am to 9pm.

Not trying to sound like a party pooper, i am working from home over this crisis and i have been listening to the same families kids out on the road from early in the day to late in the evening kicking balls off walls, shouting etc., other kids joining in etc..

i thought kids are supposed to stay within their own house boundary and not mingle with other households? Plus where is the home schooling, its being treated as summer holidays.

Same family had another family over yesterday bbqing while their kids were out on the road.

Am i over reacting here, but its starting to wreck my head both the flouting of rules and the kids (who are supposed to be schooling) out on the road making noise the whole day, which at this time is particularly annoying since i have to work at home. in normal circumstances i would be in work.

I dont see any Gardai patrolling or even popping into any of the estates around me.

ur just a busybody stop being a curtain twitcher ppl have 2 live der lives the wedder is sunny what do u want ppl 2 do stay in? not all boring dry sh*tes have 2 have a bit of fun 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

ur just a busybody stop being a curtain twitcher ppl have 2 live der lives the wedder is sunny what do u want ppl 2 do stay in? not all boring dry sh*tes have 2 have a bit of fun 2

Did you take a wrong turn when you were looking for Facebook ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

Beasty wrote:
    If you wish to disregard Government guidelines you can do so in your own back garden, but do not encourage others to do so on this site
    Questioning government guidelines does not necessarily mean disregard the guidelines.

I am keeping the guidelines(out of respect for others) but skeptical of the government spin(to put it mildly).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Let's be honest, it is more often than not going to be people without decency as an individual(s) who are going to be really flouting the guidelines. The same mentality who spit at gardai and call them scum.

If you really think about it they will infect each other first and foremost. But since the covid19 only seems to really affect the elderly or those with underlying conditions. It is a shame (in this type of instance) it is not likely to kill off a few younger generations. The type who rob cars because there is nothing better to do and no 'fah-cil-ah-ees'. Killing off thier grandmothers and grandfathers is kind of 40 years too late.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Because young people all do love to be robbing cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Because young people all do love to be robbing cars.

Reread the post, I suggest. I said the mentality of individual(s) without decency. You know and I know, in many cases it is generational. As there is no good example, or moral code, or real guidance.

I noticed a lot of those on this thread who seem to be anti-gardai and rules, seem to be of a certain mentality. And dare I say it - background.

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-75418-0_9

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/294690583_The_Development_of_Offending_from_Age_8_to_Age_50_Recent_Results_from_the_Cambridge_Study_in_Delinquent_Development

k1ZBGmZ.png

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Beasty wrote: »
    Threads closed

*merged

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

my god, i feel sorry for society when i see responses like this.

First of all, learn how to write, does not need to be literature but at least legible.

Secondly, we are in a pandemic where the country has now 769 deaths in the space of just over a month. Its selfish people like you who disregard the tough and sacrificing efforts made by most to contain the virus for your own selfish non dry sh*t curtaining twitching egoes.

Thirdly, its not summer holidays, the kids are supposed to be schooled at home.

Fourth, households are not supposed to mingle.

Fifth, these kids are playing on a busy walking route so old people need to take wide berths into the grass area to avoid them

And lastly, with people working from home a lot of cars are parked up. Rather than play on the grass outside their own house they play on the road outside other peoples houses hitting their cars and going into their gardens to get the ball.

Maybe you should follow the rules that are supposed to be adhered to. I say your the first to record yourself saying 'stay safe guys' on facebook to feel like a hero whilst having bbqs out your back garden with all your friends.

Maybe your one of the people in that street party in Dublin laughing about social distancing. Maybe you should join your IQ brothers in America protesting the lockdowns.

we've no chance at battling this if the prevailing sentiment is "hurrr don't be a curtain twitcher just mind your own biz", the magic hands of the government will provide and protect, but f*ck the authorities for trying to control us.

from you previous post i assume your account is hacked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I will leave the modding to the moderators but I am just giving you my two cent.

I can see bolt sides of the coin here but if you are going to call a poster a name you are leaving yourself wide open to ridicule with the state of that post.
    You are just being a busybody please stop being a curtain twitcher people have to live their lives.
    The weather is sunny what do you want people to do stay in?
    We are not all boring dry scallywags people need to have a bit of recreation time.

There is a virus going around keep you're children in for a bit of schooling.:D:D

I will leave the modding to the moderators but I am just giving you my two cent.

I can see bolt sides of the coin here but if you are going to call a poster a name you are leaving yourself wide open to ridicule with the state of that post.

There is a virus going around keep you're children in for a bit of schooling.:D:D

He must have been hacked unless he forgot how to write a sentence and do a complete 180 on his previous posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

This thread is crazy. I thought people would have a bit more sense than what I'm seeing

Advertisement