Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call the Guards or no?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Off-licenses should be closed and supermarkets should be forbidden from selling alcohol to people unless those people are also buying essential household items and alcohol is less than 1/3 of the total purchase.

Whenever you're in the supermarket, there's loads of fellahs in tracksuits who go and buy loads of beer and snacks and get drunk, sometimes at home and sometimes in local parks. They're spreading the virus and damaging their health.

Besides, Alcohol can operate home delivery like every other non-essential service.

Yes more rules in supermarkets to slow down our shopping trips even more! If people are drinking, their health is not your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Sono Topolino

Easier than calling the Guards on every non-essential boozer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

I'm not gonna be popular for saying this.....
    I drove about 8kms to see my mum yesterday, not seen her in about 4 weeks. Easter is a big part of her life as she would normally have friends and family over for lunch etc. Like us all she is finding things tough. I said to my wife before I left I may be back in a few if the Garda stop me, ans absolutely zero complaint from me if they did. About half way to mums there was a checkpoint. They stopped me and asked where I was off to, I said "I'm heading see my mum for a couple of minutes just to say hi through the window", "where are ya coming from" was the reply, I told them said " Honestly, I know I'm in the wrong I'll spin around here" the member said "keep it quick and stay the required distance" I drove off, knocked the window of my aul ones living room, we chatted for 5 minutes thriugh the window and I left with a little tear in my eye as she loves an aul hug, as do I. I'm very grateful to the garda on duty and on the way back was stopped again where I expressed my gratitude.
    I know I was wrong and changing my arm and all if this.
    But I had to see her.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No point making a complain over something that didn't happen.

How do you know it didn't happen?
    Stop pretending you have the inside line on what everyone is thinking and stick your big sneery head somewhere else.
    Donald Trump, ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

neckedit wrote: »
    I drove about 8kms to see my mum yesterday, not seen her in about 4 weeks. Easter is a big part of her life as she would normally have friends and family over for lunch etc. Like us all she is finding things tough. I said to my wife before I left I may be back in a few if the Garda stop me, ans absolutely zero complaint from me if they did. About half way to mums there was a checkpoint. They stopped me and asked where I was off to, I said "I'm heading see my mum for a couple of minutes just to say hi through the window", "where are ya coming from" was the reply, I told them said " Honestly, I know I'm in the wrong I'll spin around here" the member said "keep it quick and stay the required distance" I drove off, knocked the window of my aul ones living room, we chatted for 5 minutes thriugh the window and I left with a little tear in my eye as she loves an aul hug, as do I. I'm very grateful to the garda on duty and on the way back was stopped again where I expressed my gratitude.
    But I had to see her.

Loads of people will do what you did now and play the same card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I was the first to mention East Germany on this thread.
    I'll admit to that.

But you have the context all wrong, I was not talking about the powers the authorities have, I was talking about the mentality of people reporting other people because of what they see them doing or what they think they will do.

Unfortunately as you can see from some posters on this thread, your mention of East Germany has brought about a load of nonsense comments about police state, Stasi, etc. You may not have meant it like that but others seems to have gotten a hard on at the mere mention. Some people need to be reported for the good of everyone. There are adults behaving like children during this, they need to be forced to cop on.

How do you know it didn't happen?
    Stop pretending you have the inside line on what everyone is thinking and stick your big sneery head somewhere else.
    Donald Trump, ffs.

Yeah it didn't happen.

Don't worry, you'll get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Podge201 wrote: »

Here’s three little words people like you need Imbedded in their psyche- “ get a life”

road_high wrote: »
    Here’s three little words people like you need Imbedded in their psyche- “ get a life”

James Dean ain't got nuttin' on you man. You're so cool

The serious point is that it is the actions of dickheads who will flout and abuse rules and thinking that they are "smart" which necessitates the enforcement of rules on reasonable people.

• Advertisement

The serious point is that it is the actions of dickheads who will flout and abuse rules and thinking that they are "smart" which necessitates the enforcement of rules on reasonable people.

If that is directed towards me, I take it fully on the chin.
    If you're calling me a dickhead I'll ask you to have a bit of manners. I said my post it would not be welcome post by some and I am fully aware my actions are not in keeping with the current state of affairs. But for my mothers current state of mind I felt I had little choice. The thing I was trying highlight really was the Garda on duty using a little discretion and having a little understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Ddx3qlW.jpg

If that is directed towards me, I take it fully on the chin.
    If you're calling me a dickhead I'll ask you to have a bit of manners. I said my post it would not be welcome post by some and I am fully aware my actions are not in keeping with the current state of affairs. But for my mothers current state of mind I felt I had little choice. The thing I was trying highlight really was the Garda on duty using a little discretion and having a little understanding.

Hi. No it was not aimed at you. Your trip seemed reasonable. It was a response to a poster going on about "little Hitlers" because Guards were stopping people. I was simply pointing out the the reason that people like you, or anyone else for that matter, who might have genuine reasons for going somewhere, would need to be subject to checks is that we cannot trust that dickheads would not abuse excuses.

In an ideal world, a Guard would not have to stop you to ascertain that your trip is needed. They would just assume that given there is serious state of affairs, that your trip must be indeed necessary. (And in fact, from your own story, you were allowed to proceed). But unfortunately they cannot just assume that because they just see your car. They have to stop you and ask you. And, for all they know initially, your car is possibly being driven by a dickhead who has decided to drive 20km for a nicer shop. It is because of those dickheads that there needs to be checkpoints and you will possibly be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭pgj2015

But I had to see her.

if I was you I woudnt feel I was in any way wrong doing what you did. look if your mother died and you never got to see her, all these people here wouldnt give a $hit. all these people virtue signalling about following the rules on facebook/boards etc all they care about is themselves and their family and friends, they dont really care who else dies. maybe a few nurses and doctors do but the reality is the rest dont.

its not like you had a huge house party, you drove a short distance and talked in a window.

Hi. No it was not aimed at you. Your trip seemed reasonable. It was a response to a poster going on about "little Hitlers" because Guards were stopping people. I was simply pointing out the the reason that people like you, or anyone else for that matter, who might have genuine reasons for going somewhere, would need to be subject to checks is that we cannot trust that dickheads would not abuse excuses.

In an ideal world, a Guard would not have to stop you to ascertain that your trip is needed. They would just assume that given there is serious state of affairs, that your trip must be indeed necessary. (And in fact, from your own story, you were allowed to proceed). But unfortunately they cannot just assume that because they just see your car. They have to stop you and ask you. And, for all they know initially, your car is possibly being driven by a dickhead who has decided to drive 20km for a nicer shop. It is because of those dickheads that there needs to be checkpoints and you will possibly be stopped.

I apologise for the tone of my reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Here's 3 for you "save a life!" ;)

Who said anything about the people doing any of that? I outlined clearly where they were going and the reason for it. Did you not understand what I wrote?

Point out the Law where you are not permitted to drive over 2 km for shopping or delivery groceries to elderly people? Sooner this nonsense is over the better

Section 4 of the recent act covers it. Not as well and clearly as it should but I personally believe that a judge in seeing a case before him would agree that 'reasonable travel' for 'essential items' doesn't include bypassing multiple shops because the bread in lidl is slightly cheaper than in the local Aldi and dunnes.

As for the other part,I was obviously pointing out the silliness of your argument

Podge201 wrote: »

Many people did and I doubt any were turned back unless they were traveling from Dublin to Cork and were planning to stay over, etc.

"I'm going to the next town to wave at my mother / grandson / granny and leave an egg / Sunday dinner on the porch for them" did not result in people being dragged from their cars and beaten down the road to the Gulag.

Am I the only one who reads that with a thick Cavan accent? Admit it, you have a picture of Elvis above your bed and you go to bed in a cowboy hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

But I had to see her.

I assume they didn't stop you because this is allowed. The 2km is for exercise.

Who's doing the shopping for your mum?:confused::confused:

• Advertisement

I apologise for the tone of my reply.

No need at all to apologise. I hadn't realised at the time that it could have been interpreted as remarking on your story. It honestly wasn't.

Am I the only one who reads that with a thick Cavan accent? Admit it, you have a picture of Elvis above your bed and you go to bed in a cowboy hat.

Maybe you just read everything in a thick Cavan accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

But I had to see her.

And good, sensible policing. Top marks all around.

I assume they didn't stop you because this is allowed. The 2km is for exercise.

Who's doing the shopping for your mum?:confused::confused:

Between my brother, sister and I are looking after that.. my turn to fill the fridge this weekendðŸ‘

Between my brother, sister and I are looking after that.. my turn to fill the fridge this weekendðŸ‘

Yeah so your last post makes no sense. You can drive over to help someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

So I had a small party at the weekend. And in the evening we played F*ckThe Police by NWA on the patio. Honestly I'm a little mortified. We all observed distancing though, in so sar as it was possible. I had something planned for this Friday with another set of mates but I feel like I'll go a bit more low key.

So I had a small party at the weekend. And in the evening we played F*ckThe Police by NWA on the patio. Honestly I'm a little mortified. We all observed distancing though, in so sar as it was possible. I had something planned for this Friday with another set of mates but I feel like I'll go a bit more low key.

You're gonna need to try harder :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

Yah I know. Part true though, although I'll not share which part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭noddy69

You should probably read what you post.... no where was it debunked in this article.

Again I said debunked was the wrong word. Its an AI study by engineers misquoted as being a scientific paper on virology. Until something is verified its harmful to spread panic.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v74az9/the-viral-study-about-runners-spreading-coronavirus-is-not-actually-a-study

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

endainoz wrote: »
    Some neighbours ye are. I would say to each their own.

Each to their own attitude will prolong this fuc*ing mess,and more ppl will die

Advertisement